AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-06-17, 22:20   Link #2221
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Understanding doesn't mean you have to let yourself be killed, though. He's just saying for Cagalli not to be in such a rush to fight another person's war. They may not be the same, but they're related as far as coexisting peacefully with other people is concerned. Actually, it does, because he has now come to understand that not everything in ZAFT is all good and not everything outside of ZAFT is all bad. That's the point. Imagine if Stella was capable of understanding that Kira wasn't an immediate threat at that last moment. Shinn could've eventually got to her instead of her going berserk.

Or imagine if Shinn would've been more understanding that Kira would have no way of knowing that Stella was a victim. He could've worked with him to safely apprehend Stella instead of just blaming Kira for not knowing.
Look, you're not wrong, and I know what you're trying to say, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that yes, those are people understanding, and misunderstanding, but so what? So people understanding each other is good, and misunderstandings are bad, but that's common sense. Just because theres a misunderstanding, doesn't mean the writers are trying to make that a thematic element. When you look in other shows, which make such profound claims as "peace is only reached through understanding" then you know you have something.
Old 2012-06-17, 22:59   Link #2222
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Or imagine if Shinn would've been more understanding that Kira would have no way of knowing that Stella was a victim. He could've worked with him to safely apprehend Stella instead of just blaming Kira for not knowing.
Shin was an irrational teenage punk. There was no taking Stella in, she had already been captured and she almost strangled a ZAFT doctor. That would have been all his fault because she was his prisoner, his responsibility. There was nothing to understand there, Stella needed to be put down.
Old 2012-06-17, 23:12   Link #2223
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Look, you're not wrong, and I know what you're trying to say, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that yes, those are people understanding, and misunderstanding, but so what? So people understanding each other is good, and misunderstandings are bad, but that's common sense. Just because theres a misunderstanding, doesn't mean the writers are trying to make that a thematic element. When you look in other shows, which make such profound claims as "peace is only reached through understanding" then you know you have something.
I guess my point all along is that, while understanding may not be the main theme in CE, it is still there as part of the story in one form or another. Heck, half of the time, the pilots are all accusing each other of not understanding the situation, thus making the situation worse in their opinion. (e.g. Athrun to Cagalli/Kira regarding their intervention)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Shin was an irrational teenage punk. There was no taking Stella in, she had already been captured and she almost strangled a ZAFT doctor. That would have been all his fault because she was his prisoner, his responsibility. There was nothing to understand there, Stella needed to be put down.
That's what happened anyway.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 00:53   Link #2224
Sinzz
Orange

It appears that AGE-FX rifle's side parts can extend to the front of the gun, perhaps giving its rifle roughly 3 modes. the regular mode, a (possible) mode where the sides of the gun extend to the front, and the BFG attachment.
Sinzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 07:45   Link #2225
solidvanz
Special Operative

Spoiler for HG AGE-FX:
Old 2012-06-19, 11:05   Link #2226
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

AGE-FX, the mobile suit built for Kio's dialogs to come. He will use it to communicate instead of killing, and reach a understanding.
Old 2012-06-19, 15:51   Link #2227
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
AGE-FX, the mobile suit built for Kio's dialogs to come. He will use it to communicate instead of killing, and reach a understanding.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 16:48   Link #2228
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
I really hated that. No-kill policies are completely unrealistic and doesn't achieve anything. One of the reasons I hated SEED/Destiny.

For example, in Gundam 00 Setsuna stopped the fighting not by doing a no-kill policy but actually going DIRECTLY to the head and opening up "negotations" to get them to understand.

In a Green Lantern issue, a new Green Lantern tried to stop a war by confiscating all the weapons but that only resulted in escalating the conflict as the two sides simply bought out even bigger guns. The war was only resolved because a veteran Green Lantern went DIRECTLY to the leadership and bought both leaders to an understanding.

The only way Kio is going to bring an end is to take out Ezcelant and free the Vagans from his control. Then they can ease in. The Federation has already proven that it is willing to negotiate in the first place (And that was when Flit was even the Supreme Commander). Unless the Gundam spreads some sort of "understanding" particle but then that'd be complete BS and out of character with AGE Gundam.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 18:44   Link #2229
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I really hated that. No-kill policies are completely unrealistic and doesn't achieve anything. One of the reasons I hated SEED/Destiny.
You keep saying that and I still don't know what a "no-kill policy" has to do with SEED/Destiny, or AGE for that matter.
Old 2012-06-19, 19:09   Link #2230
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
You keep saying that and I still don't know what a "no-kill policy" has to do with SEED/Destiny, or AGE for that matter.
Didn't Kira stop killing near the end of SEED?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 19:11   Link #2231
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Didn't Kira stop killing near the end of SEED?
Didn't he kill Le Creuset?
Old 2012-06-19, 19:25   Link #2232
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Kira cleaved a whole battleship in half during SEED's finale. Regardless Soldier was likely referring to Kira's policy of avoiding kills whenever possible. His complaint is a little justified, people want to see combat in Gundam most of the time. Kira might be considered a special case (due to the fact that he DOES fight, just doesn't kill), but Setsuna in the 00 movie barely did anything combat-wise. I can't really see Kio adopting the same kind of no-kill philosophy in AGE but I'd think I'd start getting annoyed too if he did.
Old 2012-06-19, 19:30   Link #2233
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Never mind the part where some of the posters are talking about Kio going on a no-kill spree after meeting with the vagans was what some of us here were discussing apart.

So unless you've been hiding under a rock I'm not so sure how you missed that. Especially since I'm quoting someone.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 19:58   Link #2234
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Never mind the part where some of the posters are talking about Kio going on a no-kill spree after meeting with the vagans was what some of us here were discussing apart.

So unless you've been hiding under a rock I'm not so sure how you missed that. Especially since I'm quoting someone.
I didn't miss it, I just didn't understand how you went and compared that to SEED/Destiny when everyone kills in SEED/Destiny.

In other words, I was asking you to clarify what you mean by a "no-kill policy."

If, as Rising Dragon said, you were referring to Kira's preference to disable most of the time (although he's still willing to kill), then that still doesn't explain your complaint about how "No-kill policies are completely unrealistic and doesn't achieve anything."

Fact of the matter is that Kira's preferred method of fighting was never presented as the way to end war, rather it has always been part of his characterization that began with his role in the Archangel to the meeting with Andrew all the way to killing Nichol and fighting with Athrun, and finally meeting Lacus who gave him the power to fight the way he wants to fight.

So, again, if you're going to complain about "no-kill policies" and use SEED/Destiny as an example, all I'm asking is that you clarify what you mean. Because what you are apparently complaining about does not appear to be a major part of SEED/Destiny to me.
Old 2012-06-19, 20:59   Link #2235
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Removing Ezelcant from the equation would not solve anything. The Federation needs to win the hearts of the people it abandoned to die, and that doesn't mean killing their leader and replacing him with someone else. The Vagans won't see that as liberation, but rather conquest by the Federation and the new leader as a puppet. ...
Old 2012-06-19, 21:23   Link #2236
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Why are people trying to make of the FX as a Quanta It looks nothing like it, just the color scheme, and technically, it doesn't since the final design for the quanta doesn't have that unique color scheme in favor of traditional gundam colors

Hell, look at the three different rifle modes, and tell me it's going to UNDERSTAND. If anything it's profile looks like an Aile Striker.
Old 2012-06-19, 21:48   Link #2237
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that Kira's preferred method of fighting was never presented as the way to end war, rather it has always been part of his characterization that began with his role in the Archangel to the meeting with Andrew all the way to killing Nichol and fighting with Athrun, and finally meeting Lacus who gave him the power to fight the way he wants to fight.
The problem I had is how he just disables everyone and forget about them. Betcha think each and everyone of them will get back to their ship safe and sound in that state in the middle of the battle .
Old 2012-06-19, 22:17   Link #2238
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
The problem I had is how he just disables everyone and forget about them. Betcha think each and everyone of them will get back to their ship safe and sound in that state in the middle of the battle .
mobile suits have transmitters that signal their location. Kira also aims for the arms, legs and head though. The thrusters are mostly left in tack.
Old 2012-06-19, 22:17   Link #2239
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Maybe they don't make it safe and sound, but maybe they do. But if Kira does more than just disabling, they for sure won't be safe and sound unless they successfully counter Kira's attack.

And remember that Rey states Kira targets mostly appendages or cameras. That's enough to disable them in some way, but doesn't make it impossible for them to get out of the battle if they chose to do so.
Old 2012-06-19, 22:34   Link #2240
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The real problem are the undamaged enemies who decide to take advantage of whatever disabled mobile suits are within range after Kira's moved off.