AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 14:04   Link #801
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now that I've seen these episodes I can review them somewhat.

Full episode details follow:
Spoiler for Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Spoiler for Episode 6:

It was an interesting 100 minutes or so. While it was basically the same story as before, the details were better even though they condensed the story down from 5 episodes to only 4. Even then the removed plot elements are not all that missed.

Spoiler for Removed plot for episode 3:

Spoiler for Remove from Episode 4:

Spoiler for Removed from episode 5:

Spoiler for Removed from Episosde 6:

There are a lot of detail things in these episodes to talk about, but that can wait a little bit.

Also all the videos on Youtube seem to be getting removed.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-31 at 17:03. Reason: Spelling
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 20:14   Link #802
August138

I received the theater-exclusive BD while I was away at Comic-Con, but because of my knee injury (and my Mac crapping out on me), I've not been able to post more. But, I can say that I throughly enjoyed the new episodes. More later...
Old 2012-08-01, 13:43   Link #803
Joemenix

I hope that we will see Harlock/mamoru, normaly scheduled for the 1974's serie.

Last edited by Joemenix; 2012-08-01 at 16:15.
Joemenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 17:03   Link #804
August138

I doubt we'll see Harlock, as the character belongs to Leiji Matsumoto, and the film and television rights belong to Toei Animation (who are working on a full-CGI animated film on the character). Matsumoto is not involved in the production of 2199.
Old 2012-08-01, 17:22   Link #805
Joemenix

I know, but it is the hope of the naive fan I am '--
Old 2012-08-01, 17:59   Link #806
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is always the chance they might use the plot line without using the character of Harlock. Because one can get away with using the plot without using the name, the eyepatch and the scar. Everything else would seem to work just fine, and at that time (1974) I doubt anyone would have had any special attachment to a Space Pirate Captain Harlock. But a "mysterious pirate ship that aids Yamato from time to time"? That is entirely possible. And keeping it being Mamoru is also possible.

Now them actually pulling it off? Unknown. They will have several episodes to play with at the rate they are going.
Old 2012-08-01, 18:24   Link #807
Joemenix

Yes, the new serie progresses roughly 1/3 fastest in history than the original series.
So Harlock can happen beyond the 2/3 of the new series.
Old 2012-08-01, 21:24   Link #808
August138

Of course, anything is possible. But, as far as Harlock, specifically, is concerned, no. That's what Joemenix asked, and what I precisely responded to. Not any hypotheticals.
Old 2012-08-01, 22:27   Link #809
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemenix View Post
Yes, the new serie progresses roughly 1/3 fastest in history than the original series.
So Harlock can happen beyond the 2/3 of the new series.
Only if Toei pays Matsumoto for the use of his character.
Old 2012-08-02, 05:04   Link #810
Joemenix

Quote:
Only if Toei pays Matsumoto for the use of his character.
If they use an unnamed pirate, it will be ok.
I don't care if Mamoru will not be named as Harlock, I just hope that the character of pirate Mamoru will appear.
Old 2012-08-02, 18:42   Link #811
August138

Toei isn't producing 2199. It's not even one of the partners involved in the "Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Production Committee". There's still bad blood between Matsumoto and Nishizaki (now in the guise of Nishizaki's son, Shoji). The set up is there for Mamoru to reappear, but perhaps we should wait and see; and for the time being, discuss what we do know, based on what has transpired, so far.
Old 2012-08-02, 23:14   Link #812
YF19EX

I thoroughly enjoyed these eps. Its a pain waiting on each bluray, but as long as they keep the quality of each ep up like this, its more than acceptable.

The technical detail quality never drops from each ep. Even all points on the Yamato hit by the reflex cannon still shows in all parts of the animation. Including the damage to the rear secondary turrent which is still evident as the Yamato is making its fly by at the end of ep 6.

The launch bay set up is pretty efficient at least in regards to the launch sequence but I would like to see the recovery operation of the fighters. Its also interesting to see how the battle bridge is smaller than the main bridge even though its located in the secondary supposedly larger section of the bridge tower.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 23:46   Link #813
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More armor plating costs room. Probably has more independant systems than the main bridge for redundancy and combat safety.
Old 2012-08-02, 23:57   Link #814
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
That way, us long time fans know it's there and enjoy it but the new viewers have to get there by themselves.
Until us new viewers read things like this. ^^; Oh well, it's to be expected when 2199 invites comparisons to the original.
Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 05:29   Link #815
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
I received the theater-exclusive BD while I was away at Comic-Con, but because of my knee injury (and my Mac crapping out on me), I've not been able to post more. But, I can say that I throughly enjoyed the new episodes. More later...
Oh, you write that informative blog, didn't expect to see you post on AnimeSuki. What are the theater exclusive extras again? The 2nd disc almost convinced me to import this show for real.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 05:55   Link #816
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
The technical detail quality never drops from each ep. Even all points on the Yamato hit by the reflex cannon still shows in all parts of the animation. Including the damage to the rear secondary turrent which is still evident as the Yamato is making its fly by at the end of ep 6.

The launch bay set up is pretty efficient at least in regards to the launch sequence but I would like to see the recovery operation of the fighters. Its also interesting to see how the battle bridge is smaller than the main bridge even though its located in the secondary supposedly larger section of the bridge tower.
That's the beauty of 3D models, you can maintain a consistent look even where damage is concerned.

The landing operation for the fighters is something that is bothering me too, the launche processes seem to be very efficient but the landing is probably tricky. The Zeros can probably use VTOL capabilities to land on the upper platforms but the Falcons... i'm sure they'll show us how it's done but it must be a lot more complex than the launch.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 21:54   Link #817
kimpleng
Lurker

I've just watched episode 3 and 4. Still awesome as always.
Really love when they shoot wave motion gun.
A land with size nearly equal as Australia is destroyed. It's just WOW.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 00:27   Link #818
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*finished watching episode 3*

Well, most of episode 3 I've seen from the various youtube clips posted here (who knew I was watching most of it before the episode even showed up) . All that was needed was subs and some exposition. Wave Motion Gun firing in 720p though was glorious

Although the one thing that did catch me by surprise this episode...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I'd hit that with a Wave Motion Gun if you-

*shot*

If I do have one nitpick so far, it's that for a series that's trying to get its technical details as "real" as possible, they have a whacky sense of scale. At 23,000 km, the floating continent shouldn't be as large as it looks like relative to the Yamato. And details like seeing a sizable Yamato in orbit from the surface of Mars or the planet busting warhead in episode 2 irks me. Not enough to ruin my overall tremendous enjoyment of the series, but it could have been better.

Edit:

Episode 4

"Are you related to aliens?"

Makoto's reaction to Susumu's question is gold

Also, tankbusters ftw

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-08-04 at 03:35.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 02:14   Link #819
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Combat ranges could be considered unrealistically close for the weapons they are using, but that is pretty much normal in sci-fi since laser beams into the distance or laser beams from nowhere is rather boring.

The fight on the Continent was probably at less than 10 kilometers distance if I'm reading Kodai's binoculars correctly. While that seems reasonable due to the hills and things that might be in the way, in space that seems way too close for comfort at what should be relative speeds.

Oh and it is Susumu, not Mamoru.

Mamoru is the older brother that went down with the Yukikaze.

Susumu is the younger brother than might go down with Yuki.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-04 at 02:25.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 03:35   Link #820
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Combat ranges could be considered unrealistically close for the weapons they are using, but that is pretty much normal in sci-fi since laser beams into the distance or laser beams from nowhere is rather boring.

The fight on the Continent was probably at less than 10 kilometers distance if I'm reading Kodai's binoculars correctly. While that seems reasonable due to the hills and things that might be in the way, in space that seems way too close for comfort at what should be relative speeds.

Oh and it is Susumu, not Mamoru.

Mamoru is the older brother that went down with the Yukikaze.

Susumu is the younger brother than might go down with Yuki.
Woops, got the two confused again

And while I myself would have tagged it to 23 km instead of 23,000 km, the fact is that with a continent supposedly the size of Australia, the perspective becomes all out of whack when you consider how large Australia is supposed to be compared to the continent. Then you'd have either the continent be smaller with Yamato being closer, which contradicts the dialogue.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato