Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2013-09-28, 05:28   Link #561
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
What many medical stats ignore is the percentage of smokers (active and passive), that don't get develop cancer. Also let's not forget that a statistical correlation is not implying causality. In other words, statistics should not replace medicine and definitely not justify vengeful policies against minorities.

To be clear, smoking is a harmful habit, as are drinking alcohol, cola, etc, as is most of our contemporary diet and so on. Maybe some of them are more harmful to some than others.
As long as its a risk factor, the best way is either control or just stop. You might not get the cancer, but think of the others beside you and in front of you, want to share your smoke? It's not only for your benefit but of others
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 05:32   Link #562
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
As long as its a risk factor, the best way is either control or just stop. You might not get the cancer, but think of the others beside you and in front of you, want to share your smoke? It's not only for your benefit but of others
I also don't want to inhale the exhaust gases from all the private cars (which are much more harmful to health, in between), should we ban cars too?
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 05:36   Link #563
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
But recently, whenever I get stressed, I feel like I want to go get a cig and smoke it, even though I only tried it once. Is this normal? If you feel stressed, do you feel like you want a fix of nicotine or whatever?
Mate thats how the damn things got me! When i was stressed i had a smoke, and it relaxes you straight away, even gives you a slight headspin......then after a couple of days(if even) it has you by the balls and you need one every 2 hours.

Cigarettes= most dangerous drug in the world, but governments makes way too much money off them so they'll never be banned
Old 2013-09-28, 05:39   Link #564
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I also don't want to inhale the exhaust gases from all the private cars (which are much more harmful to health, in between), should we ban cars too?
Good one. There are already researches for safe, eco friendly cars. Maybe, but noy yet now, it will happen in the future. Until now, it can't be done but again not impossible.

Anyway, which is more attainable stop people smoking or banning all cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Cigarettes= most dangerous drug in the world, but governments makes way too much money off them so they'll never be banned
I got a suggest. Raise the taxes for cigarettes so that it'll be expensive so that only few people can afford it. Not only we can protect the poor for an unhealthy , expensive habit, we can kill off all the rich people.

Or, put it in the illegal drug category, so that it'll be expensive so that only few people can afford it. Not only we can protect the poor for an unhealthy , expensive, illegal habit, we can close down much of the big, multi-million cigarette factories

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-09-28 at 05:56.
Old 2013-09-28, 05:39   Link #565
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

My dad's family is very strictly a tobacco-free environment while practically everyone from my mom's side smoke. Fortunately, I grew up closer to my dad's family so I also grew an anti sentiment towards smoking. I still haven't actively started smoking yet, but some in my circle of friends in high school did, so I developed somewhat of a resistance towards the smoke (not much, but more than I originally had).

I suspect my mother also started doing this after my father passed away and she grew closer to the rest of her family, though I don't pry about it too much. At the very least she has much more resistance towards the smoke than I do. Her relatives (my aunts) sometimes come and sleep over at our house for a few days and the whole house would smell like smoke the whole time so I made a strategic retreat and either confined myself in my room (which is quite isolated in the 2nd floor) or retreat to my aunt from my dad's side and sleep there a few days.

Edit:
btw, to elaborate a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth
The very least courtesy smokers can have is to smoke in a smoking room (or near open areas) and not enforce your smoke to others. Are you seriously arguing against this bit of common courtesy towards fellow human? Sorry if I sound rude, but I view your analogy there as intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2013-09-28 at 05:56.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 05:59   Link #566
NoemiChan
Banned

^ I suggest to buy some air freshener. Do it when you mother is smoking. The message will be so obvious that she mighte just stop smoking whenever you're around, or give her a lollipop.
Old 2013-09-28, 06:04   Link #567
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

to clarify, I never actually SEEN her actively smoke, whether we're alone or even if her relative is in the house. It could mean anything so I don't really pry on it. It's just that the way she handled all the smoke leads me to suspect that she might be a smoker as well.
Old 2013-09-28, 06:35   Link #568
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Good one. There are already researches for safe, eco friendly cars. Maybe, but noy yet now, it will happen in the future. Until now, it can't be done but again not impossible.

Anyway, which is more attainable stop people smoking or banning all cars?
Take the bus, train or ride a bike, better for your health and mine. Cars are much easier to ban (technically/technologically), replaced by mass transport which is more economic, clean safe and efficient, but unfortunately drivers are not the target of hypochondria like smokers.

As for courtesy, don't generalize. I don't smoke around people who don't like it (for whatever reason). It would be great if non-smoking policies could show the same courtesy and understanding, and not slap stickers with decaying corpses and mutilated bodies on packets along with slogans that I will die soon and that the cancer I develop will result in torturous death. Better remove these or put them on alcohol bottles, cola cans, fast food packages, and decorate cars with crash victims and statistics about the results of their exhausts too.
Old 2013-09-28, 07:11   Link #569
NoemiChan
Banned

Smokers opinion versus non smokers opinion. You can say what you want but I stick to my view.

I had a nurse friend who don't believe that smoking will lead you to cancer. Yes, he didn't. He got tuberculosis instead. Gone under six months treatment.

Smoking gives you a lot of consequences other than cancer. That's a fact that we, in the health care department tells you. It's not that we force our clients to do what we want them to live their lives.

It's just funny that sometimes, they'll be crawling back to us for treatment in the end just to hear the painful truth,"We told you, yet you didn't listen".

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-09-28 at 07:39.
Old 2013-09-28, 07:43   Link #570
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Smokers opinion versus non smokers opinion. You can say what you want but I stick to my view.

I had a nurse friend who don't believe that smoking will lead you to cancer. Yes, he didn't. He got tuberculosis instead. Gone under six months treatment.

Smoking gives you a lot of consequences other than cancer. That's a fact that we, in the health care department tells you. It's not that we force our clients to do what we want them to live their lives.

It's just funny that sometimes, they'll be crawling to us for treatment in the end just to be told, "I told you, yet you didn't listen".
I have already written that smoking is harmful for health, and that cancer is not the greatest health risk from it. But as certain people are fanatical against smokers, maybe they should consider to treat other habits that are much more harmful with the same vigor, and at least with some respect to the choices an individual makes, and not force personal opinions to others.

It's not a matter about smokers vs non-smokers debating the habit, but how in principle most people have double standards when it comes to health risks. As I wrote, it is ridiculous to spend so much money in anti-smoking fear-mongering, while funding jobs in industries that directly (through waste or function) or indirectly (through their products) harm much more our health.
Old 2013-09-28, 07:43   Link #571
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I really hate it when someone smokes in the lift. There is no way for me to escape except to hold my breath.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 09:45   Link #572
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth
It's not a matter about smokers vs non-smokers debating the habit, but how in principle most people have double standards when it comes to health risks. As I wrote, it is ridiculous to spend so much money in anti-smoking fear-mongering, while funding jobs in industries that directly (through waste or function) or indirectly (through their products) harm much more our health.
I think the fact that it IS a choice makes it justified for some people go for the extra length to warn of the dangers. Industries or what not are more dangerous to health yes, but they're also kind of an inevitable risk (they don't get included in WHO's definition of "preventable death" afaik), since they're integrated too deep in the overall human social structure and we're stuck with it. And it's not like people don't combat the negatives industries bring.
Old 2013-09-28, 11:10   Link #573
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In theory, a properly tuned car expels only carbon dioxide and water vapor.
Old 2013-09-28, 11:47   Link #574
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

If people are so worried about my health (they're not, just their own)
they'll gladly work towards making my life more enjoyable with healthier surroundings
but again, they're not, and never will
Nobody gives a damn about my back wearing out in a few decades, but they'll surely complain about my workdisability compensation being too much of a burden on the finances of the state by then

Oh, and next stop: Prohibiting people with greater chance of passing genetic diseases from having children
Old 2013-09-28, 18:34   Link #575
monsta666

In this day and age people know the risks. If someone wishes to take cigarettes with the knowledge that it greatly increase the risk of lung cancer or some respiratory disease then let them. They are adults and it is a free country. You got to respect the decision of other people even if you don't personally agree with the decisions they make. The only issue comes if the smoker shows a total disregard for other peoples' preferences. Smokers should show consideration if others do not want to inhale their smoke. I will say for the most part smokers are considerate of other people's needs and will move out the way if someone does not want a smoker in the room.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 20:26   Link #576
Jaden

Trying to stop smoking is always a good idea. It's not just a health hazard that shortens the lifespan. A severely diminished ability to breathe will take your dignity long before taking your life.

People are so busy and stressed these days that it's difficult to make any kind of lifestyle change, let alone quitting the use an addictive substance. In that case, just use some other drugs. Something like Varenicline should let you quit without much effort, and isn't ridiculously expensive.
Old 2013-09-28, 21:57   Link #577
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I enjoyed the habit of smoking, but there's no sense spending precious money on killing yourself. Quit.
Hell yeah, I was reading this thread and found myself curious as to whether you still smoked or not (since you stated you did so in posts from 2008). Always nice to come across someone that's managed to quit. My sister's been smoking since 1992, and I wish she could do the same.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 22:06   Link #578
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I never smoked. One, I was part of the generation that grew up with a lot of no smoking commercials during the cartoons. My babysitter smoked. I did try to get her to stop (I think she finally did). Also my mother was allergic to the smoke, so i figured if I ever started smoking as a teen, I'd be caught really fast.
Old 2013-09-29, 00:12   Link #579
Kayako Saeki
Onryu

Whether one chooses to smoke or not is up to them. I myself do not smoke nor am I against or for it. I think all people have some amount of brains to be able to choose what drugs they want and accept any consequence of it. Addiction is very high in smoking and it is something that is very easy to get addicted to but this is all common knowledge now. So I don't see a reason for anyone who does choose to smoke to not know about this as well as the ongoing research on smoking's long term effects therefore it is pointless really to say and debate whether it is "wrong" or not. People will do what they wish and it is their choice alone so as an equal I believe in allowing them to do as they wish and for others to allow me to do as I wish...
Kayako Saeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 08:51   Link #580
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
The only issue comes if the smoker shows a total disregard for other peoples' preferences. Smokers should show consideration if others do not want to inhale their smoke. I will say for the most part smokers are considerate of other people's needs and will move out the way if someone does not want a smoker in the room.
The only issue for me as smoker is the intolerance
We're crusified more than the coke/heroin/alcoholaddicts, this while we for the most contribute to daily society/economy and/or do not engage in criminal activities to get our fix
We are also not LESS productive at work because we actually work harder to save a few minutes to smoke

Also for the most part, we take in account our surroundings, Hell -while waiting- I even step out of a sheltered busstop if I'm going to smoke to not bother the other people there

You can compare the stance of some anti-smokers to those same idiots who tried to sabotage and derail a nuclear waste transport a while back
they want you to get cancer just so they are justified in their position ("told you so!")

the enviroment created for anti-smoking reached a level of nonsense
No smoking in movies, it's "glorifiying" and gives a bad example, but "American Psycho" and Natural Born Killers" are award winning pictures

Alcoholic? dopeaddict? Free help (running in the m/b-ilions of dollars each year)
You are paying for their healthcare and in some cases, even their addiction
Whereas we smoking pay for our own
But if we wanna stop smoking? go buy your own plasters/pay your own support!

Bloody hell, I would keep smoking just to keep pissing off the anti-smoking lobby

and don't think that if they ban smoking, YOU are gonna be seeing lower prices in healthcare or taxes
because the added tax WE supplied will then have to come from somewhere else
I suggest a sunscreen tax: You wanna get tanned? I see no reason why we should pay for your skincancer when 15 minutes of sunlight on your hands is all that's needed for the daily dose of needed vitamin D!

Tags
debate