AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 98 56.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 26.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-12, 03:46   Link #281
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Wow really that low???

The top 5 are:
Sazaesan
Chibimaru
Kureyon Shinchan
One Piece
Gegege no Kitaro

No surprising they are all little tiny kid shows.
So what's up with that? Is that a weekly rating for just this episode? I would have thought it would be more popular than that!

War Library is at least in the top 10. That is actually a pretty good anime.
Old 2008-06-12, 03:48   Link #282
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

How is it compared to other series in the same timeslot?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-06-12, 03:56   Link #283
Wesley84

Maybe love triangles aren't as popular as they used to be?
Old 2008-06-12, 05:29   Link #284
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Forget love triangles, I thought the Macross series would be more popular period due to the name recognition and the huge musical fan base.
Old 2008-06-12, 06:05   Link #285
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Forget love triangles, I thought the Macross series would be more popular period due to the name recognition and the huge musical fan base.
Not many want to stay up late(VERY early morning) just to catch a show, unless they are diehard fans. Macross even if it is part of commonplace otaku knowledge is nothing compared to Sazae-san and co., which are household names and air during primetime.
Old 2008-06-12, 07:52   Link #286
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Maybe love triangles aren't as popular as they used to be?
Haruhi and Code Geass aired late at night as well and received ratings in the 1-2% range. They went on to sell a lot of dvds and this is where the profits for late night shows are generally made.

#7 Suzumiya Haruhi 41307 units
#6 Code Geass 44657 units

Though obviously Macross is also going to make money from pushing cd singles and albums as well.
Old 2008-06-12, 08:54   Link #287
wao
OK.

Yeah, for shows like Macross I think the ratings are not what matters, the DVD sales are the true test of success... Especially since I think (really I am just guessing) there has been an upshoot in P2P usage in the last year or two, and Macross is probably heavily shared thanks to an awful airing time... and this is not the thread for it but I think part of it has to do with the way they collect those ratings; what sort of people take part in the ratings and do the boxes count recordings etc. (I'm dead sure SeijiSensei explained this somewhere in another thread, but I've forgotten it all...)
I think it isn't like variety shows where ratings are important as the target audience is highly unlikely to rewatch it later and collect it.

At least going by the music sales I think this is a pretty successful series already - it helps that they're really pulling out the stops with the marketing campaigns, maybe not as much as Haruhi's ingenious interaction with the fans but well... yeah. I don't know if the music makes money for the actual folks who make the anime though, but I wish it means the investor companies decide to give Satelight a nice fat budget for whatever they'd like them to do next.

I only watched this episode the day before yesterday, but while I've been really hoping for Ranka x Alto and want to believe they'll be together by the end of the series (actually not romantically, my perfect scenario would that they go their separate ways but remain single, yet the best of friends - won't happen in a million years, I know )...

This episode made me feel, much more than the others, that there's a high chance they'll use the reverse-situation formula as mentioned by others here: where Ranka swaps positions with Sheryl. Ranka has to put in lots of effort to rise up to a new world, whereas it's probably easier for Sheryl to slow down and enjoy time with people. I think that scene of Ranka deciding made me think of it - I know it's a wacky interpretation but that's how my mind thinks - Ranka being outside, largely on her own and having to make a huge effort to get to the next step, compared to Sheryl who can go to whoever she wants in the comfortable shade of that hut.
So now I'm not so sure I want Ranka or Sheryl to be close to Alto, because...

My biggest worry is that Ranka's character changes into one more distant and professional. That'll make me kind of sad. But at the same time, it would be a bit unrealistic for all that pressure she'll face from now on, as well as a somewhat bitchy environment, to have no effect on her character...
I hope Bobby sticks around her more, seriously, since I think at this point of time Alto isn't the person she needs to talk a lot to. Maybe.

What I really would like from the series right now is more Alto development when possible - I still cannot feel his character very well. Ranka and Sheryl feel so much more natural and believable, but perhaps I can empathize with them better as I'm a girl too? Alto, on the other hand, feels like he's still acting mostly as if he was programmed by the labels stuck on him. I cannot feel his emotional confusion or outlook on life very much; if he's supposed to be introverted it seems like an odd form of introversion...
Old 2008-06-12, 11:16   Link #288
ipernorris

@wao Ranka is a nice character and I have nothing against her but if she takes the Minmay route (becoming a bitchy and selfish girl) then I hope she will get eaten by some Vajra. This would worsen the enjoyment I have watching evrey single episode of Frontier because I cannot stand those kind of girls.
Old 2008-06-12, 15:33   Link #289
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
What I really would like from the series right now is more Alto development when possible - I still cannot feel his character very well. Ranka and Sheryl feel so much more natural and believable, but perhaps I can empathize with them better as I'm a girl too? Alto, on the other hand, feels like he's still acting mostly as if he was programmed by the labels stuck on him. I cannot feel his emotional confusion or outlook on life very much; if he's supposed to be introverted it seems like an odd form of introversion...
I think most people would agree with you on this wao, hopefully next episode gives us a better feel for his character.
Old 2008-06-13, 01:29   Link #290
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

hmm That Little girl Has Become Doctor? MAO?

Mayb Ranka Sherrly Brera is Mao Descendant?
Old 2008-06-13, 06:33   Link #291
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrael32 View Post

It would truly become a poser of a Macross series if it wholly dropped the triangle. Its been there since SDF Macross, Macross Zero, and Macross plus. (Can't say anything about Macross 7 since I haven't watched it yet ><) Its like playing Final Fantasy and not finding a Cid or Summons. Though a love triangle is a general plot mechanic, its somewhat become a series signature for Macross.
Macross II, though not canon, also had a love triangle(well love rectangle or whatever you call it).
Old 2008-06-13, 12:12   Link #292
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
@wao Ranka is a nice character and I have nothing against her but if she takes the Minmay route (becoming a bitchy and selfish girl) then I hope she will get eaten by some Vajra. This would worsen the enjoyment I have watching evrey single episode of Frontier because I cannot stand those kind of girls.
From whatever I watched of the original Macross TV series (was it 20-something eps before I gave up on it), if Ranka turns into someone very much like Minmay (and worse gets her end result) I think I might just CRY ON THE INTERNET. (It takes something like Jin-Roh to make me cry in real life, I don't think Macross will.)

I would also hate it if she turned into Sheryl too, even if it's unlikely. It's an entirely personal thing that I never really liked Sheryl-type people, but she's ok in the anime (still didn't like the panties episode though) If Ranka turns into her though... it reminds me of someone I know in real life who used to be so honest, nice and unpretentious like Ranka and became so horrible when she tried to "grow up". Sure she became more assertive, and all independent-like and successful and "enjoyed life", but at what cost? I know some people might disagree with me here, but please please don't let Ranka turn out like that, she's too cute as it is. I'd like her to mature into a lovely person without having a drastic character change, even though I kinda enjoy those in anime usually.

Okay I think I just went horribly off-topic there so no more from me, other than that I demand a picture of Dr. Mao (in the show that is)
Old 2008-06-13, 12:35   Link #293
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Ranka is more likely to turn out to be like early Mylene than Minmei or Sheryl I think.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2008-06-13, 22:42   Link #294
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097
War Library is at least in the top 10. That is actually a pretty good anime.
Hah, I'm happy. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I only watched this episode the day before yesterday, but while I've been really hoping for Ranka x Alto and want to believe they'll be together by the end of the series (actually not romantically, my perfect scenario would that they go their separate ways but remain single, yet the best of friends - won't happen in a million years, I know )...
A single Alto and a single Ranka parting but still texting? I support your scenario. I'm not too big on mawkishness.

Ranka pretty much anchored herself to Alto in this episode. She won't drift away from him just cuz she boarded the showbiz ship. But I do get what you mean, I was considering this possibility of swapping around episode 3 as well but it just got weaker as episodes go by lol After episode 10, I'm trying to think of a believable way to bastardize Ranka's character but it's hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I hope Bobby sticks around her more, seriously, since I think at this point of time Alto isn't the person she needs to talk a lot to. Maybe.
Of course he will. Bobby is Ozma's eyes to make sure the manager doesn't try anything funny. I think if someone reasons Ranka winning Alto because Bobby is on her side, I'd say he's right lol But don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What I really would like from the series right now is more Alto development when possible - I still cannot feel his character very well.
Isn't that the most ironic thing? Whenever there's a love triangle involving 2 girls and one guy, the poor guy is always the one that has the least focus. It's like he doesn't matter lol
Old 2008-06-14, 16:12   Link #295
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

hiatus this week? O_o
Old 2008-06-14, 16:18   Link #296
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
hiatus this week? O_o
Unfortunately yes. I think it has to do with the Eurocup or something?

I don't know I avoid normal TV whenever possible here in the U.S.
Old 2008-06-15, 00:29   Link #297
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
i was late watching this series, only started this week and caught up 10 episodes in 2 days (wednesday i think). then when i saw that i announcement in this episode, i SOOOO felt like konata... "why do the people watching new anime have to be the ones to get shafted"

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-15, 01:29   Link #298
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
i was late watching this series, only started this week and caught up 10 episodes in 2 days (wednesday i think). then when i saw that i announcement in this episode, i SOOOO felt like konata... "why do the people watching new anime have to be the ones to get shafted"
Why? Because football is watched by much more people than anime, so this means the sponsors pay much more money!!!
Old 2008-06-15, 01:54   Link #299
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
yeah im aware that but she's so right, why cant it be the ppl who watch the sh*tty drama shows be the ones to have their episode skipped

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-15, 03:13   Link #300
herbert

I second it. Italy hasn't won a single game. I think they may better cancle Eurocup thoroughly.