AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of softsubs would you like to download?
Matroska (MKV) with SRT subs 20 18.87%
Matroska (MKV) with SSA subs (colors and fonts, but heavier on CPU) 61 57.55%
Ogg Media (OGM) with SRT subs 21 19.81%
Apple QuickTime (MOV) with Flash subs 4 3.77%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-10-18, 19:17   Link #1
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

What type of subs would you prefer?

There's been a bit of hassling over MKV vs. OGM and so forth, so I'd like to know what types of subtitles work best on people's computers, and what they'd prefer to see.

I am not going to release AVIs no matter what.

edit:

I AM NOT GOING TO RELEASE AVIS NO MATTER WHAT

Last edited by Shii; 2004-10-18 at 20:26.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:22   Link #2
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
There's been a bit of hassling over MKV vs. OGM and so forth, so I'd like to know what types of subtitles work best on people's computers, and what they'd prefer to see.
My personal preference is avi files, preferably with the subs not too low, so I can also watch the files in my new Philips DVD player with suports divx and the like.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:23   Link #3
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
My personal preference is avi files, preferably with the subs not too low, so I can also watch the files in my new Philips DVD player with suports divx and the like.
I am not going to release AVIs ever and I don't want them discussed in this thread. I might release a hardsub MOV though.

Edited my post to clarify.
Old 2004-10-18, 19:28   Link #4
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

How about an option that says "I do not prefer softsubs"?
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:29   Link #5
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
How about an option that says "I do not prefer softsubs"?
Then this poll would not be helpful to me. Why don't you prefer softsubs?
Old 2004-10-18, 19:36   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I chose .mkv with .srt softsubs because of their simplicity. I don't really see any reason to make special colors and fonts for fansubs.

I like your dedication to use .mkv over .avi. We really need to support to proliferation of superior formats.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:57   Link #7
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Seperate .srt file.

REAL men do scripts only.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:21   Link #8
ichido reichan

MKV? it wont happen dude, I dont see people getting interested at all.

I'll stick with the old avi better

If isnt broken dont fix it.
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:24   Link #9
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Then this poll would not be helpful to me. Why don't you prefer softsubs?
It may not be useful, but it might provide interesting results nonetheless. Personally, I have no need for softsubs. If I wanted to watch a raw file, I would simply get the raw -- if I download a subbed file, I would only end up turning the softsubs on anyway, thus adding an extra step to the process (unless, of course, the subs were on by default).

The only real reason I would download a softsub is to be able to change the font if I find the one used by a subber to be obnoxiously annoying. However, as I limit the groups I watch to the "not utter shit" category of subbers, this is rarely the case.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:24   Link #10
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichido reichan
MKV? it wont happen dude, I dont see people getting interested at all.

I'll stick with the old avi better

If isnt broken dont fix it.
How many times do I have to tell you guys, this thread is not for comparing the merits of hardsubs and softsubs. I have already decided on softsubs and I would like you to help me choose what kind of softsub will be easiest to use on everyone's computers.
Old 2004-10-18, 20:41   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

Since not many people use soft subs, I don't have any experience to judge which would work better or be more preferable for me.

I do have issues with OGMs where the subs just stop displaying at a certain point in the file on many players. I think I tried an MKV where the subs remaind on the screen and new lines would write over it. Honestly, though, I haven't done anything to troubleshoot since I rarely have softsubs to watch. Those might be easy fixes with better codecs or something.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:50   Link #12
Somedude

My personal preference is .mkv with .ssa softsubs. This allows for the subs to be styled by the group, including whatever fonts and colors they need to, as well as basic effects.

However, if you're not going to style anything special, or don't have any spiffy fonts that you think everyone should be seeing the episode in, I'd suggest just a simple .srt.

As for the ogm vs mkv thing, I'd personally go mkv, since I've talked to more people that have had trouble getting ogg to work than I have people that had trouble with .mkv. It also seems like mkvs seek a bit faster.

That being said, it's really all your choice, whatever you feel comfortable/happy with.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:50   Link #13
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

I think the few people who appreciate mkv are encoders and the like who probably have fast computers (so they could encode faster)...I think doing mkv with ssa would suit best to your followers. The rest of the people probably wouldn't give your work the time of day...so...
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:59   Link #14
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
I think the few people who appreciate mkv are encoders and the like who probably have fast computers (so they could encode faster)...I think doing mkv with ssa would suit best to your followers. The rest of the people probably wouldn't give your work the time of day...so...
Not really true.

I am niether an encoder, nor someone with a fast computer. Fact is, softsubs don't really take much in the way of resources (Unless it's a karaoke with effects or something ). My old clunker 750Mhz Slot A Athlon can do softsubs fine (.ssa, .srt, in either ogm or mkv containers).
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 22:05   Link #15
GS^

Send a message via ICQ to GS^
MKV with SSA

What are you going to sub?
GS^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 22:43   Link #16
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS^
MKV with SSA

What are you going to sub?
I am currently subbing Tsukuyomi with OGM, but I have heard some people would prefer MKV, hence the poll.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-10-20 at 00:14.
Old 2004-10-18, 23:20   Link #17
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

they're all a pain in the ass to play
here's a shot of my desktop:
http://img50.exs.cx/img50/5536/desktop144.jpg (yes, i like Tsukuyomi )
notice the little file labeled "Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phas...", that's your ogm file, and in order to play it, i need to open the player, then use it to open the file, then turn on the subs, which, last time i played it, had a really weird spacing error.
too much trouble
so i won't be voting on the poll, but since you requested it, i won't say (outright) "AVI's are better" either
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 23:24   Link #18
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
in order to play it, i need to open the player, then use it to open the file, then turn on the subs, which, last time i played it, had a really weird spacing error.
too much trouble
Don't follow AnimeSuki's media guide. Download the DefilerPak and open up the OGM file in Windows Media Player like you would any other movie.

If the subs don't show up at first, use the green arrow in the taskbar to turn them on.
Old 2004-10-18, 23:42   Link #19
Evirus

I've had better luck with MKV than with OGM. Besides seeking better and having less container overhead, MKV also plays properly for me without any additional effort.

Which is not to say I've ever had any serious difficulty in playing OGM files. It's just that sometimes (perhaps all the time now that I think about it) the subtitles won't come on by default, and I'll have to stop and restart the video for the subtitles to show up even after I've enabled them--little bugs like that.

These are pretty trivial steps to take, but given the apparent reluctance for people to make any additional effort on their part (e.g., "clicking a green arrow"), I can see no compelling reason to use OGM instead of MKV.

In fact, I converted episode two to a MKV in less than two minutes with Virtualdubmod, and the few minor bugs I encountered with that episode all disappeared.

Besides, ADTRW already has a FAQ for MKV linked on the front page:

http://www.adtrw.org/faq.php
Evirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 23:45   Link #20
hooliganj
Team Player

Heavens forbid that we all settle on a standard that won't require me to go out of my way to get new software. What's wrong with producing a script and just distributing it with the raw episode? Then all I need is a sub filter for the player, which a lot of programs already have built in, and it doesn't take me a few hours to find, install and configure new codecs.

If you must choose between those in the poll, then OGM. Cross platform adaptations like MOV, 3ivx and QT never work right, and MKV has no support on Windows Media Player, even from its own developers.

edit: Before I get told to get a new video player, I've already gotten every other codec to work with WMP (including OGM), and I'm not changing out my program of choice just to watch this one incredibly rare format. I'll just get my copy from someone else.

Last edited by hooliganj; 2004-10-18 at 23:52. Reason: preventive rejoinder
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote