AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of softsubs would you like to download?
Matroska (MKV) with SRT subs 20 18.87%
Matroska (MKV) with SSA subs (colors and fonts, but heavier on CPU) 61 57.55%
Ogg Media (OGM) with SRT subs 21 19.81%
Apple QuickTime (MOV) with Flash subs 4 3.77%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-12-20, 12:08   Link #81
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnoe
First, use a real operating system like Windows 2k or XP (NOT Win 9x/ME), type a simple SRT text file in Notepad, type whatever you want in Japanese, Russian and French, select UTF-8 output, and save it.

Second, Windows is not as retarded as some other operating systems. Converting 8bit sourses to UTF-8 needs exactly 2 calls of Windows API functions (MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte for ASCII -> UTF16 -> UTF8). I don't know how retarded e.g. Linux really is, but I do know that I don't care how it is done there...but it is possible. It must be, because MKV only allows UTF-8 encoding (which means, btw, that klingon in real klingon letters is impossible, as those are not yet included in UTF-8)
Hrm, as far as I can tell, my linux system seems to have better utf-8 support than any version of windows I've ever tried. (Window's native unicode is UTF-16, MS's notepad corrupts files with BOM's, many windows applications seem to have trouble with anything outside of MS's "codepages" which are a really outdated concept and totally incompatible with anything)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 12:13   Link #82
alexnoe

It doesn't corrupt *my* UTF-8 files with BOM...
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 12:16   Link #83
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
It doesn't corrupt *my* UTF-8 files with BOM...
Do you know what a BOM is?
How do you know that notepad isnt putting them in there?
(Last time I checked on winxp there was no way to disable them in notepad either)
Old 2004-12-20, 12:19   Link #84
alexnoe

MUHAHAHAHAHAH With "corrupt" you meant "adds"? LOL

I thought you meant it damaged your files if they had a BOM before saving them. You probably mean that some retarded applications don't handle files with BOM, and that you don't blame those applications, but Notepad instead? HAHA.
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 12:38   Link #85
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
MUHAHAHAHAHAH With "corrupt" you meant "adds"? LOL

I thought you meant it damaged your files if they had a BOM before saving them. You probably mean that some retarded applications don't handle files with BOM, and that you don't blame those applications, but Notepad instead? HAHA.
Prepending a BOM ***is** corrupting the file. Try editing a perl script if you think otherwise.
Its quite natural to blame a broken editor rather than pretty much every text programming
language in existence, just to name one family of things.