AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-02-06, 18:31   Link #1
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Drawing real people.....

Here's a big problem I have. I thought you guys could give your opinion on this since you all draw too. People often ask me to draw them. Some of them are really good friends, and some of them are.. Well, random people. A lot of times I end up not doing it using the excuse that I don't have the time to do it.. But that's not the real reason.

The real reason is because .. Well.. I don't know how they want me to draw them. I know how I could ask them, but ... I mean.. Would you really ask someone "Do you want me to draw you with all your flaws or do you want me to draw you as I see you with my friendly eyes?" :P Because that's the real problem.. Flaws. I don't know how people want to see themselves on a drawing.. And I've had a problem with that...

Once, my friend asked me to draw me, her and our common friend. We were wearing bathing suits on the picture. I drew myself with no waist and kinda flat chested. He was really skinny. I drew her with a small waist and, well.. a big chest. I thought she wouldn't mind because I thought that's what she looked like... And she got really upset saying I think she's fat. ._.;;;

Has that ever happened to any of you guys!?

A lot of the people who ask me to draw them are sometimes overweight.. Or they have some flaws in their face like everyone does. But I don't know how well they can take it if I draw them... One of my friends is overweight. She's pretty, but she's not thin at all. She asked me to draw her once, and I didn't know what to do about it... If I drew her as overweight, I'm not sure how she could handle that.. No matter how much I toned it down... And on the other side of the coin.. If I drew her skinny like my other characters.. Yes it might look like her a little, but I don't think it'd be very credible... ._.;;

What do you think...?
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 18:46   Link #2
calavera spain
empty mind

Send a message via MSN to calavera spain
happens from time to time..... just try to draw the most remarkable things, and if She/He is fat well draw them like that because the most important part of friendship is the truth.
calavera spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 18:55   Link #3
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
indeed. draw what you see, what else are you going to draw if they want a drawing of their self? something that isn't what they are?
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 19:05   Link #4
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Yeah but like I said a lot of time the people aren't really good friends.. A lot of time they're people I just met.. and I don't know how they will react. On another drawing, one of my friends was confused and he asked me if he was that skinny..

Since I draw in anime style, people's flaws are already toned down a bit. ^^;; And I like it better that way.

But a lot of times, it's hard to tell what people want.. I sometimes feel that people want me to draw them looking a lot "better" than they really do... By example, once.. A really overweight person who wasn't really attractive.. [ he wasn't ugly to me.. it's just that to a lot of people he would be.. he had acne, a big nose, etc... ] asked me to draw him as a knight with an armor and all this glamorous medieval fantasy stuff. ._.;;;; I didn't really know what to do........

And I feel so stupid to worry about such a superficial thing..
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 19:19   Link #5
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
eh. you should draw what you see, basic proportions-wise. If the person is overweight, draw them so, but don't exaggerate. They should be prepared to look at themselves since they do it every morning in the mirror anyway. However, I would leave out any facial blemishes like acne, etc. A lot of times when these are drawn they draw too much attention to themselves in the drawing and take away from the rendering you've done of the face. What's most important are the key features such as: body shape, facial features (i.e. positioning and shape of nose, eyes, mouth.)
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 19:38   Link #6
calavera spain
empty mind

Send a message via MSN to calavera spain
and if they arent as friends as u say... ask directly what they want... more boobs... less ass, ask them. it shouldnt be a problem, its just some minor information you need for the drawing
calavera spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 20:38   Link #7
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
(*laughs*) I agree with Calavera. However, I used to draw only portraits of people (And they even paid me $20/pop for 'em!! ) So, there, what I'd do is slightly tone down their flaws, and very, very slightly enhance their good points, or try to draw attention to their good points with lighting angle or lightening/darkening that specific area.

Basically, keep the portrait looking as close to the person as possible, without offending them. I mean, if the girl was flat-chested, then draw her boobs SLIGHTLY larger than normal, but not obviously so. Same for big/small asses, fat people, etc.

So, in essence, make a compromise. Keep the truth of the appearance overall, but alter it very, very slightly if you feel that way.

Another way to do it would be to draw them how YOU see them; not how you really see them as you're looking at them, but how you see them in your mind's eye. That should also help take care of some of the problems you're experiencing.

Good luck!
Forsaken102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 00:38   Link #8
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
I don't know, when it comes to drawing people, I just draw what I see, unless they specifically ask me whether they want more of something or less of something. I don't take it upon myself to add or subtract without permission, because not only would I be lying to them, but I'd be lying to myself as well. People know what they look like, you drawing them that way isn't going to serve as some revolution to them about the way they look.

I think about it this way, no matter what one may look like, everyone is beautiful. Not to sound cliched or like that Christina Aguilera song, but everyone's uniqueness is attractive and can be expressed with a beautiful line and the such. If you put your all and passion into it then, it'll show as it will be a stunning piece.
juri_miki is offline   Reply With Quote