AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-04, 19:15   Link #1401
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Higurashi Rei was even more terrible than the main two seasons, though.
Actually, in terms of adaptation, Rei was a lot better than the two seasons. The dice-killing chapter got a lot of parts cut up, but it likely wouldn't have been like that if they decided to leave out the two light-hearted episodes that didn't have much to do with the overall plot (which I'm glad they didn't). Making it into an entire third season might only have included 12 episodes because of how short they are compared to the other arcs.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 05:09   Link #1402
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
Since apparently everybody doesn't like Chiaki Kon as the director, maybe they'll let Toshifumi Kawase take charge of Chiru like he did with Higurashi Rei.
Kawase has always handled script adaptation, so I doubt Kon is the only person at fault. As director, the latter is responsible for setting the vision and ensuring that the pieces (storyboards, scripts, animation, photography, audio....) come together, but she isn't tasked with deciding on the specific material to include.

I've never seen Rei, but if the script treatment seems better, it's possibly because Kawase had an easier time coping with the scope of the original material and the running time.

Speaking of Chiaki Kon, she's doing a darn good job with Otome Youkai Zakuro this season. Audio use could still be a bit better, but the production is visually imaginative and tightly directed - miles ahead of anything she's done before (and with far less interesting source material). I don't have any doubt now that she's capable of doing good work, but it probably takes the right match of project type, producer/studio focus, and director personality.

Quote:
If an Umineko Chiru anime was announced, what animation studio would people most like to see it produced by?
The more creatively inclined studios don't take visual novel adaptations seriously, so big names aren't necessarily best. Even stable workhorses like Madhouse, J.C.STAFF, and AIC rarely take on VN-related projects, and when they do, I don't see them going the extra mile to impress. In fact, Chaos;Head, Kimikiss, and Ookami Kakushi were downright reviled (Amagami is commercially successful but utterly passionless and uninspired).

Say what you will about Deen's production deficiencies, but they probably do more justice to VN adaptations than most companies. Less reputable studios are usually very bad (appointed staff don't care any more than a Production I.G. or a Sunrise might, but they're forced to work on what they can get), while Deen remains pretty reliable at making something half watchable and relatively faithful to the originals.

Anyway, WHITE FOX might be an interesting prospect. Producer Iwasa has a lengthy history of overseeing game adaptations of varying quality, but his new company seems to be establishing a decent reputation from the getgo. It'll be interesting to see how Steins;Gate pans out.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:19   Link #1403
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I have a hypothetical question: If an Umineko Chiru anime was announced, what animation studio would people most like to see it produced by?
I'd like to think Shaft animation would do a good job on it.

Then again when's the last time you saw them do a 26 ep anime? and I think the only VN they ever made an anime out of was the Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two series. (which I haven't played or watched yet so)

I mean over all they stick with the source material, the only times they haven't have been with the second season of Natsu no Arashi! and the remake of Negima! they did in 2006. Other then that, it's like adding voices and movement really to anything they've done.

Plus, the opening and ending animation would be pretty epic and or drug trippy.
Sheep_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:21   Link #1404
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep_ View Post
I'd like to think Shaft animation would do a good job on it.
Please for the love of god, anyone but them. Even Deen would be better. I mean, there wouldn't be any worse disservice than clunky animation and still words/colors screens -everywhere-.
Seriously, SHAFT is absolutely no good for transitions whatsoever, which umineko uses ad infinitum.
Old 2010-12-06, 15:27   Link #1405
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Just imagine how SHAFT would do the Red/Blue text... haha
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 16:22   Link #1406
Sheep_

To each their own when it comes to liking Shaft.
I find their style to be interesting, and they can do serious stuff. Just look at the new Negima! OVAs.

As Baru said, just think of how they would handled colored text ......
Old 2010-12-09, 20:30   Link #1407
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

I adore SHAFT, but they are definitely not the right choice for Umineko. They are at their best when doing zany dialogue-heavy and deadpan comedies. Something like Umineko is not at all suited to them.

Two years ago I probably would have said KyoAni, because they seemed to like adaptations, did a great job being faithful to the source material, and proved they can do more than just school comedy/dramas when they did Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid so well. Yeah, Umineko is totally different than anything they did, but I'd have liked to see them give it a shot. But, that's two years ago. I don't like the direction KyoAni decided to go in, I don't even like their animation all that much anymore, and they probably wouldn't capture the darkness of Umineko very well.

Honestly, the only choice nowadays that sounds good to me is, of course, ufotable. They do good work, their animation is pretty, their adaptation skills are decent, and they aren't afraid to be bloody and do something dark.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 23:30   Link #1408
witchfan

I think a lot of studios would do fine, as long as it's a 52 episode series. Really, most of the problem with the adaptations is just that there's not enough time to fully tell the tale. And even DEEN showed us they could do it with Rei.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 07:19   Link #1409
LaplaceNoMa

The only good thing Shaft ever did is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Their special style was fitting and unique. But then they started to use it whereever possible, turning everything into over-pretentious bs.

And remember Kino no Tabi. I have 10/10 for all Kino no Tabi titles except for the 2nd movie, which was done by Shaft. They just HAD to turn Kino into a lovely adorable girley girl to amuse their target audience, totally ruining the philosophic context of the series.
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 07:30   Link #1410
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
The only good thing Shaft ever did is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Their special style was fitting and unique. But then they started to use it whereever possible, turning everything into over-pretentious bs.
You do know most of SZS style was used in Pani Poni Dash! beforehand right?
Background gags and that style of opening? I mean PPD was a year or two before SZS.

Some things it works for others it doesn't. I mean some of Shaft's other stuff is really well done.

It's just what I think, I mean Shaft hasn't done that many VN animes so it's really hard to tell if they can handle it or not.
Old 2011-11-14, 21:58   Link #1411
Shiroyami

I believe that the existance of an upcoming adaptation of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Chiru should've been discussed to death by now, yet no red truths were stated regarding the subject. At least, not that I know of.

Anyway. I had my first contact with Umineko in the first half of this year and after watching the anime and being presented with a damn cliffhanger, I searched for the next season with no luck up until now.
What little material I found is composed of old rumors and unreliable rambles.

I did come up with this recently though.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-ErikaConc.png

It should be of no surprise that Erika Furudo, the character in this picture, makes her first appearance in EP5, the first arc of Chiru.
...then why the hell do we have concept art for anime here?

To be honest, I find it odd that I was the only person who freaked out over this picture. I do hope my hopes are not being crushed here, srsly.

If we are to consider that a PS3 adaptation of Chiru will be released, the idea of a Chiru anime sounds less impossible than before.
Trailer is below, for those who haven't seen it yet. Be aware if has a few spoilers though.

Shiroyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 22:05   Link #1412
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroyami View Post
I believe that the existance of an upcoming adaptation of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Chiru should've been discussed to death by now, yet no red truths were stated regarding the subject. At least, not that I know of.

Anyway. I had my first contact with Umineko in the first half of this year and after watching the anime and being presented with a damn cliffhanger, I searched for the next season with no luck up until now.
What little material I found is composed of old rumors and unreliable rambles.

I did come up with this recently though.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-ErikaConc.png

It should be of no surprise that Erika Furudo, the character in this picture, makes her first appearance in EP5, the first arc of Chiru.
...then why the hell do we have concept art for anime here?

To be honest, I find it odd that I was the only person who freaked out over this picture. I do hope my hopes are not being crushed here, srsly.

If we are to consider that a PS3 adaptation of Chiru will be released, the idea of a Chiru anime sounds less impossible than before.
Trailer is below, for those who haven't seen it yet. Be aware if has a few spoilers though.
That picture was posted in the image thread a long time ago. And was revealed be a fake by someone who did a similar project. it's a very good fake though.

and the consensus among those here is that the DvD sales for season 1 were bad enough that they won't make a second season.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 10:20   Link #1413
Shiroyami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
That picture was posted in the image thread a long time ago. And was revealed be a fake by someone who did a similar project. it's a very good fake though.

and the consensus among those here is that the DvD sales for season 1 were bad enough that they won't make a second season.
Tsk, my suspicions were correct then. That image was not found at Studio DEEN's official site. Dammit.
Shiroyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 10:26   Link #1414
immblueversion

With a PS3 port of Chiru to end all other adaptations of Chiru (except maybe the manga), who really needs an anime?

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 14:10   Link #1415
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
People who don't speak Japanese or have a PS3?
Old 2011-11-15, 16:17   Link #1416
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
People who don't speak Japanese or have a PS3?
Damn straight.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 00:29   Link #1417
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

cosplay thread is locked.

I am trying to find a better place or a recommended seller to get a Beatrice wig.
One I received on aliexpress was horrible T^T
Old 2015-05-27, 19:02   Link #1418
xPearse

Don't hate me for it and I have been warned, but I watched the first two episodes before reading the VN today and I actually liked it. Also, oh desire! That said, is the rest really as bad as people say? It doesn't seem like it will be from what I've seen.
Old 2015-05-27, 19:54   Link #1419
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Don't hate me for it and I have been warned, but I watched the first two episodes before reading the VN today and I actually liked it. Also, oh desire! That said, is the rest really as bad as people say? It doesn't seem like it will be from what I've seen.
I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect it. One of my best friends has only seen it through the anime and liked it. I just look at it as, "The general consensus is that the Umineko anime isn't half as good as the anime. So if you thought the anime was awesome, that just means the VN is more than twice as awesome!"

But it is extremely controversial. Me and my brother are both fans of the Umineko VN. We separately tried to watch the anime, and both had to stop because it was too painful (seriously).
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-28, 18:51   Link #1420
xPearse

Yeah, I guess one would have to nitpick every scene if they read the VN first, hence why I never did. Though, like you said, if one enjoys the anime, then the VN must be twice as awesome, just like Higurashi. I just hope that's the case by the time I get to the end of the anime.