AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-05-18, 21:43   Link #1
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Campaign for under appreciated animes

There are lot of animes that goes unnoticed, the biggest one I say is Baccano! I say one of the best anime and there aren't enough people watching it. While show like Naruto, Bleach, and other animes get a huge following despite being mediocre(of course I understand if some of you guys like those shows but I just think that they don't deserve that much following). So what I suggest is that sig makers to make a sig that tries make people interest in those anime.
The plan is like SOTM, each month or maybe two months we will decide on a anime, that is relatively unknown and make a sig out of them. For during those period either the sig maker or other members will use those sig for during those time trying to spread inform people of the animes. Hopefully people will look at the sig and maybe spark some interest.
It's a rough idea so far but I think it has potential to make people watch animes that are under appreciated. Of course the major problem I think is defining what under appreciated anime is and there is a large possibility that only few sig makers watched those animes.
Old 2008-05-19, 09:48   Link #2
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Well there is problem...if a serie is old, not populair or unknown (not many people watch it). Then there arent many sources of pictures or the pictures are bad.

Also i have the problem that if i don't like an anime or don't know an anime (like the background story behind it) then i think it's harder to make a signature...Don't know if it's just me...
Shinbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 10:12   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've thought of campaigning for under appreciated anime as well, though I've no idea how. Your idea is pretty good actually, we get free sigs as well lol.

Anyway I though of campaigning for Soul Eater, it deserves much more recognition than just a relatively quiet subforum.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 14:02   Link #4
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou View Post
Well there is problem...if a serie is old, not populair or unknown (not many people watch it). Then there arent many sources of pictures or the pictures are bad.

Also i have the problem that if i don't like an anime or don't know an anime (like the background story behind it) then i think it's harder to make a signature...Don't know if it's just me...
Well despite I want all under appreciated anime to be known, however old animes do lack lot of images so I don't think we should focus on old animes. Though we could always make sig through the screen shot of the anime itself. On your second point I do see lot of sig maker make a sigs out of images that are unknown to them so I don't think that it is big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I've thought of campaigning for under appreciated anime as well, though I've no idea how. Your idea is pretty good actually, we get free sigs as well lol.

Anyway I though of campaigning for Soul Eater, it deserves much more recognition than just a relatively quiet subforum.
Well I thought of the idea during the first sig competition on this forum, where some members made a sig trying to inform people about the competition so that more people would vote it in. Also isn't Soul Eater popular? If it's not then I suppose we could campaign for it as well.

Though so far there aren't seem to be lot of interest for campaign for under appreciated animes. I really want to hear the opinions from other sig makers. I mean this isn't a competition and there is no strict deadline or something like that. All I am thinking is we choose an anime then once we have six or more sigs then we could start campaign for about a month or two.
Old 2008-05-19, 14:43   Link #5
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Hit me with the anime and I'll see what I can do.
On the subject of Soul Eater, it is popular enough already. I mean, there are tons of other good animes out there that didn't even get a sub-forum.

I remember somebody in the Baccano! thread said something like "Too bad that animes like this gaets so less attention while those ecchi/moe animes get hundreds of posts every episode."
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 15:36   Link #6
lsley
*Graphic Designer

I think your idea is great since there are way more splendid unnoticed anime than bad famous ones
Old 2008-05-19, 15:38   Link #7
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
Hit me with the anime and I'll see what I can do.
I don't know if this is a general invitation, but how about looking at 'Natsuki Crisis'?

It's a bit surprising IMHO that people are jazzed up over the incredibly poorly animated Fighting Beauty Wulong when this very nice (albeit short) and very well animated fighting girl story is ignored ...

just an idea
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 16:58   Link #8
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Well before we could even start we need more people getting involved but before that I thought we could make a list for animes.
Baccano! is the first anime that comes to my mind, really amazing and more people should watch it.
I have been thinking Mononoke, the show seems to have very interesting style and even though I haven't watched yet I am planning to watch it soon. Name other animes if you guys could.
Old 2008-05-20, 02:49   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I vote for Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars as being under-appreciated anime. I just have never seen anyone mention it in their top fav's, though it is in my top 5. It's a space-drama, pseudo love story, but it's all good. I just feel that they never got the attention they deserved, despite the fact they had very deep questions about what exactly it meant to be human. Other aspects were good as well, but that's what stuck out most in my mind.
Old 2008-05-20, 21:05   Link #10
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

So the potential series so far have been
Baccano!
Mononoke
Haibane Renmei
Natsuki Crisis (I am not sure on this as it is kinda a old and only two episodes)
Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (old but I could find few images for this)

Also I am really hoping for more response from people, I really want to proceed with this idea forward. I am pretty sure that everyone has one or two anime that are under appreciated.
Old 2008-05-20, 22:14   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I would like to join too. My problem is with anime as adaptation to well-known original source. For example, Bokurano. It failed because there were too many manga readers who thought the anime would suck and didn't watch it since the plot will be changed in the anime adaptation. But I think maybe the most under-appreciated anime that I feel most strongly about is Haibane Renmei, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough for it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 22:31   Link #12
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I wouldn't call anime like Haibane Renmei underappreciated. Such anime are appreciated greatly, it's just that the audience of interest is small. The reason there are tons of romance/comedy/action type shows every season is because the audience is bigger for them. They're popular because the appeal is broader.

Certainly there are some shows that might have deserved better advertising but a lot of "great, but niche" anime are that way for a reason - they only appeal to a certain type/mindset of people. No amount of advertising will change that.
Old 2008-05-21, 07:58   Link #13
D2D
oO?

Isn't Denno Coil underrated as well? I thought it was really nice, but I hardly see anything about it ):
Same goes for Mushishi. More people know about it , but it seems nothing is created from it. Must be cause Ginko is the only noticeable character I guess, but there are lots of beautiful landscape, and it might be possible to make godd stuffs with mushis no?
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 08:29   Link #14
lsley
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post
Same goes for Mushishi. More people know about it , but it seems nothing is created from it. Must be cause Ginko is the only noticeable character I guess, but there are lots of beautiful landscape, and it might be possible to make godd stuffs with mushis no?
Is Mushishi an anime?? I just know a real movie called Mushishi with a Ginko as main character (the movie is rather good imo )

The Vision of Escaflowne <-- Really good imo, but old
Ichigo 100% <-- hilarious and makes you think (or at least me xD)
Dokuro-Chan <-- hilarious and bloody, an anime that makes you feel the pain of the main character
Old 2008-05-21, 18:43   Link #15
D2D
oO?

Yes, Mushishi is an anime too, I think it even won some prize in 2006. Haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if you got the same peaceful/zen feeling, but I can only recommend you to check out the anime, totally worth it (-:
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 20:02   Link #16
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I would like to join too. My problem is with anime as adaptation to well-known original source. For example, Bokurano. It failed because there were too many manga readers who thought the anime would suck and didn't watch it since the plot will be changed in the anime adaptation. But I think maybe the most under-appreciated anime that I feel most strongly about is Haibane Renmei, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough for it.
If you want to join then join, the sig doesn't really need to be amazing or anything. I mean I pretty much suck at making sigs but I still try anyhow. All you need to do is make a decent sig that will attract few people, and if you can't make sigs then don't instead just use the sig someone else made. This is not sig competition, all you have to do is make the sig, use the sig, or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I wouldn't call anime like Haibane Renmei underappreciated. Such anime are appreciated greatly, it's just that the audience of interest is small. The reason there are tons of romance/comedy/action type shows every season is because the audience is bigger for them. They're popular because the appeal is broader.

Certainly there are some shows that might have deserved better advertising but a lot of "great, but niche" anime are that way for a reason - they only appeal to a certain type/mindset of people. No amount of advertising will change that.
I am sure Haibane's quality is appreciated by its fan but not by many people and sure it might appeal to certain type of people. However there are people who never heard of Haibane Renmei and as a result never even gave a chance. So instead of just saying "oh well, this type of anime is niche so I guess it will stay like this", why don't we at least try to make more people watch more of niche anime.
Of course I am not expecting thousands of people are going to start watching Baccano! or Haibane Renmei just because of the campaign. But at least we might be able to attract one or two people.
Quote:
Isn't Denno Coil underrated as well? I thought it was really nice, but I hardly see anything about it ):
Denno Coil, I will try to look into it because I have never heard of this anime before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsley View Post
Is Mushishi an anime?? I just know a real movie called Mushishi with a Ginko as main character (the movie is rather good imo )

The Vision of Escaflowne <-- Really good imo, but old
Ichigo 100% <-- hilarious and makes you think (or at least me xD)
Dokuro-Chan <-- hilarious and bloody, an anime that makes you feel the pain of the main character
Hmm... well I have heard of some of those animes so I am not sure about it but never heard of Mushishi.

Quote:
Yes, Mushishi is an anime too, I think it even won some prize in 2006. Haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if you got the same peaceful/zen feeling, but I can only recommend you to check out the anime, totally worth it (-:
Mushishi seems bit interesting I will try to check it out.

Though personally I am leaning to Baccano! but I am not sure how many people will go with that. So most likely I want to go with Hainbane or Mushishi for now, however I have only watched bit of Haibane and never watched Mushishi. I will try to make a list of animes later.
Again I am really hoping for more response from other members.
Old 2008-05-21, 20:35   Link #17
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
The thing about Haibane Renmei is that it is indeed appreciated by the few that knows it, but I under-appreciated could also mean "should be more widely appreciated," and Haibane is it for me.

Also, another type of series that should considered is those "cliché" series. Sometimes, a genre becomes so cliché that good anime from that cliché are not watched and appreciated.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 21:00   Link #18
lsley
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Description for Mushishi:

Description is exactly the same as the movie, haircolor of Ginko is also the same. Guess I'll watch it since the story of this movie put in 26 anime episodes sure will be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Hmm... well I have heard of some of those animes so I am not sure about it but never heard of Mushishi.
In this forum there is a 45 sides thread about mushishi. There are threads about all the other animes mentioned here (and I looked up) too, so none of the ones I looked for was unknown here.

Escaflowne was on German tv a long while ago (~7 years?) but I've never seen something about it, the Escaflowne threads here in this forum have max 11 posts (there's one about the music and some other negligible stuff) so I think it's pretty unknown here. Could also be that I err though xD

Last edited by lsley; 2008-05-21 at 21:55.
lsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 23:43   Link #19
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Keep in mind older series here might not have many posts because we had a severe forum crash back in December 2005, that unfortunately wiped many of the backups too. Animesuki pretty much had to reconstruct the forums from scratch and a lot of posts were lost.

So it's not always that people didn't know about it here, it's just that they moved on to other series.
Old 2008-05-22, 05:14   Link #20
lsley
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Keep in mind older series here might not have many posts because we had a severe forum crash back in December 2005, that unfortunately wiped many of the backups too. Animesuki pretty much had to reconstruct the forums from scratch and a lot of posts were lost.

So it's not always that people didn't know about it here, it's just that they moved on to other series.
oops thx for the info didn't know that