AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-18, 00:02   Link #661
4Tran

I think the important thing that Osabu is trying to do is to reassure older fans that the new Sailor Moon show will be made to appeal to them. The distinction here is that it's not going to be just for children like the Precure shows. She wouldn't want to turn off potential viewers before the show airs. The original Sailor Moon anime was different from those shows as well, so I wouldn't read too much into the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Los... I was speaking solemnly about Sailor Moon.... That is if they'll make it a grown up show....

It could become an ecchi anime with a lot of panty shots...
The original Sailor Moon had a surprising amount of panty shots. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon had even more.
Old 2013-02-18, 01:40   Link #662
Sakuya
*Artist

I doubt it'll become anything ecchi as that'll destroy the anime's reputation. Besides, I don't think Naoko would like that...
Old 2013-02-18, 02:25   Link #663
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I doubt it'll become anything ecchi as that'll destroy the anime's reputation. Besides, I don't think Naoko would like that...
This is the same Naoko that drew Usagi topless and sexually correct in an artbook because she wanted to.
Old 2013-02-18, 04:48   Link #664
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I doubt it'll become anything ecchi as that'll destroy the anime's reputation.
Lol what? When has Sailor Moon been about wholesome fun ?
Old 2013-02-18, 10:09   Link #665
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The schoolgirl antics (both as students and Sailor Senshi ) are the most prominent recollections of Sailor Moon.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2013-02-18, 10:12   Link #666
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
In mexico, when the very alst episode was aired sailor moon spent the whole episode naked, it was even compared to kekko kamen.
Old 2013-02-19, 01:37   Link #667
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
In mexico, when the very alst episode was aired sailor moon spent the whole episode naked, it was even compared to kekko kamen.
I'm from México, and I recall it very well that day. I think it was around March or April 1998 when the 200th episode (the very last one of the entire anime) was broadcasted at 3:30 p.m. Central Time Zone. Indeed, they showed that episode in full and with that I mean in its entirety with no: cuts, editing, trimming, and skipping of scenes whatsoever; Usagi naked and sporting only angel-wings in full view.

Ha Ha Ha! Take that to the Sailor Moon USA fans, that they never got not even one chance to get all the entire series, including Sailor Stars, released either through TV broadcasting or DVD dub releases in their country.

At least, in México we got all of the five Sailor Moon seasons released and broadcasted in our country with no edits, cuts, trims, or skipped episodes; all 200 episodes televised.
Even, the aforementioned and (in)famous 200th (final) episode of the series got broadcasted, if it was just only once on our local TV stations.
Old 2013-02-19, 06:26   Link #668
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Same in Romania (europe) the whole Sailor Moon Anime was shown without any cuts and including Sailor Stars.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:53   Link #669
4Tran

Sailor Moon was always a bit on the edgy side for an anime for little girls. It's sort of to be expected when it forges as much new ground as it did, and you have wierdos like Ikuhara and Igarashi working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
Same in Romania (europe) the whole Sailor Moon Anime was shown without any cuts and including Sailor Stars.
In the mid-90s, the standards for childrens' television in the U.S. were much more uptight than they are now, and the original Sailor Moon would push those standards even today. I'm not familiar with the current childrens' shows, but I don't think that they have as much trans- and homosexuality content as Sailor Moon.
Old 2013-02-20, 23:36   Link #670
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In the mid-90s, the standards for childrens' television in the U.S. were much more uptight than they are now, and the original Sailor Moon would push those standards even today. I'm not familiar with the current childrens' shows, but I don't think that they have as much trans- and homosexuality content as Sailor Moon.
I'm pretty sure they don't. Although, most of my exposure to children's shows lies in the pre-school/early elementary school group. What little I have seen for older children shows may contain some strong underlying sexual tones, but it's all strictly hetero. And no nudity.
Old 2013-02-22, 00:45   Link #671
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't. Although, most of my exposure to children's shows lies in the pre-school/early elementary school group. What little I have seen for older children shows may contain some strong underlying sexual tones, but it's all strictly hetero. And no nudity.
They censored the duo "Haruka / michiru" in the past for being "cousins​​" ... and in France they had Haruka a man ... just to censorship "yuri" that existed between Haruka and Michiru because they are not cousins ​​and Haruka is a REAL girl
Pfff
Old 2013-02-22, 00:47   Link #672
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kissing cousins.

Techinically that makes it worse. Lesbian Cousin interactions.
Old 2013-02-22, 00:50   Link #673
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I say respect the original version the Japanese and F**ck censorship

Fortunately, now no censorship yaoi and yuri relationships
Old 2013-02-22, 02:13   Link #674
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
They censored the duo "Haruka / michiru" in the past for being "cousins​​" ... and in France they had Haruka a man ... just to censorship "yuri" that existed between Haruka and Michiru because they are not cousins ​​and Haruka is a REAL girl
Pfff
I was actually referring to current American cartoons, lol. When I was a kid they were much more strict.

I remember just how much Sailor Moon had been censored. And while I very much agree that it was horrible, the fact is that what I did see was nothing short of groundbreaking. There was nothing like this in American children's television. And with the internet I was able to get a better idea of what I was missing. So, by the time Sailor Moon S was dubbed I already had a good idea of what to expect. I knew that Haruka and Michiru were not cousins. That and the sudden inclusion of Japanese names (while still keeping the original characters English names) is why I found the misleading dub to be so amusing.

Like 4Tran said, I think that there are still some concepts in Sailor Moon that would still be considered pushing the envelope today. I seriously doubt that it would air on daytime television without a certain level of censorship. I don't think that most American audiences (really it's most American parents) would be able to handle it.
Old 2013-02-22, 06:10   Link #675
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I say respect the original version the Japanese and F**ck censorship

Fortunately, now no censorship yaoi and yuri relationships
Actually they are a couple... Not some "fan made:" couple that only exist in some fans' imagination....

Thank God Usagi wasn't corrupted....

Back at Haruka and Muchiru... I was confused back then regarding that "cousin" issue but I later found it that it was just censorship... Well. its a fact and a part of the story... I cane to accept it... Nah,. who cares I'm a crazy Usagi x Mamoru fanatic...
Old 2013-02-22, 12:06   Link #676
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

The original Sailor Moon had a surprising amount of panty shots. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon had even more.
Am I the only sane person who thinks showing the bottom part of a leotard IS NOT A PANTY SHOT!?

Look, when the senshi transform, they are shown to be wearing a white one-piece thing that looks very much like a swimsuit or leotard (that's what gymnasts wear). When their skirts fly up and you can see the white bit-it is not panties; it's the bottom of the white leotard thing.

Because it's white, it gives the illusion of panties, but really, it's no more obscene than seeing a cheerleader's leotard when she kicks her legs up. =_=
Old 2013-02-22, 12:11   Link #677
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Am I the only sane person who thinks showing the bottom part of a leotard IS NOT A PANTY SHOT!?

No, I'm with you on this.
I seem to remeber Naoko talking about how boys liked Sailor Moon because the girls were sexy, but I don't think she meant the 'panty shots', rather the overall character designs. They sure don't look 14 and have curves.
Old 2013-02-22, 13:02   Link #678
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Look, when the senshi transform, they are shown to be wearing a white one-piece thing that looks very much like a swimsuit or leotard (that's what gymnasts wear). When their skirts fly up and you can see the white bit-it is not panties; it's the bottom of the white leotard thing.

Because it's white, it gives the illusion of panties, but really, it's no more obscene than seeing a cheerleader's leotard when she kicks her legs up. =_=
I'm with you on this. Hence why I never viewed this as particularly fanservicey, or on the same level as a panty shot. To me, the Sailor Scouts were wearing white leotards as part of a fancy outfit that was loosely based on sailor-style school uniforms for girls.

I honestly can't think of any actual panty shots in Sailor Moon, off the top of my head. There probably were a couple scattered about, but yeah, seeing the bottom of a leotard doesn't really count as one, imo.
Old 2013-02-22, 13:27   Link #679
tootbrush

Location: In a better place. Like the beach. But NOT the moon.
Quote:

This conversation reminded me that someone actually did a study on this.
Old 2013-02-22, 14:19   Link #680
4Tran

Oh jeez, it looks like Chieko Honda just passed away. She only had a small role in Sailor Moon as Tellu, but I'll always remember her for Meroko from Full Moon o Sagashite.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...da-passes-away

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
Like 4Tran said, I think that there are still some concepts in Sailor Moon that would still be considered pushing the envelope today. I seriously doubt that it would air on daytime television without a certain level of censorship. I don't think that most American audiences (really it's most American parents) would be able to handle it.
If they're gearing the new anime for an international audience, I wonder if they will be toning down some of the sexual material?

Quote:
Technically, they're not, but they look the part. Almost none of the the actual panty shots are in Sailor Moon for titillation purposes anyways, so it's more of a humorous observation to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
No, I'm with you on this.
I seem to remeber Naoko talking about how boys liked Sailor Moon because the girls were sexy, but I don't think she meant the 'panty shots', rather the overall character designs. They sure don't look 14 and have curves.
If it wasn't Takeuchi Naoko saying it, it would have been Ikuhara Kunihiko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootbrush View Post
This conversation reminded me that someone actually did a study on this.
For anyone wondering why the Sailor Moon R total is so high, most of those are from Chibiusa in her original blue uniform.

Tags
remake, shoujo