Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-07-19, 06:19   Link #301
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
If you have the Vista driver installer for your soundcard, you can still use it on W7 - that is, if W7 doesn't already have it. Just right-click the installer, enter 'properties' and set the compatibility mode to 'Vista SP1'/'Vista SP2' and install as administrator.
It's not the soundcard I'm worried about since that already has windows 7 beta drivers (that god for my smart idea in buying a creative X-Fi soundcard) it's the motherboard if which its Nforce 430 chipset isn't even supported my Nvidia so I don't even know if it has fully working vista drivers since all I got with my motherboard was a set of beta drivers for vista (thankfully I installed XP which hasn't given me any problems and which I intend to keep if I do install windows 7 on my computer) so if it didn't go any further then that then I'd doubt that they'd work in W7.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 06:50   Link #302
Miles Teg

The nForce 430 has WHQL driver for Vista. So it's possible that the driver pool of Windows 7 has already those driver (the nForce 430 is 5 years old after all).

If you have integrated video then you need to look for the video driver for example the driver found on this page -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.18_whql.html support the GeForce 6150SE with nForce 430.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 04:43   Link #303
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
The nForce 430 has WHQL driver for Vista. So it's possible that the driver pool of Windows 7 has already those driver (the nForce 430 is 5 years old after all).

If you have integrated video then you need to look for the video driver for example the driver found on this page -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.18_whql.html support the GeForce 6150SE with nForce 430.
Unfortunately there is no standalone graphics driver for the GeForce 6100 although I have found the vista driver disc that came with my motherboard but then to get the most out of W7 I'm going to have to get something more modern but then I'm going to have to get at least £200 worth of upgrades before I can even think of installing windows 7
Old 2009-07-20, 17:18   Link #304
Rockman-X
Matroska > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Unfortunately there is no standalone graphics driver for the GeForce 6100 although I have found the vista driver disc that came with my motherboard but then to get the most out of W7 I'm going to have to get something more modern but then I'm going to have to get at least £200 worth of upgrades before I can even think of installing windows 7
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.18_whql.html <= Check "Products supported", it's there.
Code:
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
GeForce 6150 LE
GeForce 6150
GeForce 6100 nForce 420
GeForce 6100 nForce 405
GeForce 6100 nForce 400
GeForce 6100
My config here: AthlonX2 64 4000+ 2GB DDR2 @667MHz RAM, nForce 430 + GeForce 6150SE, and I always install nForce drivers SANS video (uncheck during install), and the separated video driver, no problems so far.
Rockman-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 17:35   Link #305
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I would have thought the 6150SE would be supported since it's a Geforce 6 series graphics card and is supported by nVidia atm... My grandmother's computer have the same exact motherboard and uses the same graphics card, but yes... you should get a better graphics card so atleast the interface is more responsive. 6150SE is a bit laggy with Aero on Vista.
Old 2009-07-21, 04:20   Link #306
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman-X View Post
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.18_whql.html <= Check "Products supported", it's there.
Code:
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
GeForce 6150 LE
GeForce 6150
GeForce 6100 nForce 420
GeForce 6100 nForce 405
GeForce 6100 nForce 400
GeForce 6100
My config here: AthlonX2 64 4000+ 2GB DDR2 @667MHz RAM, nForce 430 + GeForce 6150SE, and I always install nForce drivers SANS video (uncheck during install), and the separated video driver, no problems so far.
And my GeForce 6100 nForce 430 is NOT listed maybe I should've mentioned what motherboard I have and heck even asus has been lazy and haven't even placed any updated drivers for that board for vista on their site (they don't even have a chipset driver for vista64 there).
Old 2009-07-21, 16:42   Link #307
Rockman-X
Matroska > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
And my GeForce 6100 nForce 430 is NOT listed maybe I should've mentioned what motherboard I have and heck even asus has been lazy and haven't even placed any updated drivers for that board for vista on their site (they don't even have a chipset driver for vista64 there).
"GeForce 6100 nForce 430" was rebranded by nVidia to "GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" just because it has a different clock speed (and VERY slightly better performance) than the other "GeForce 6100 nForce 4x0"s. That's stupid, I know, but nVidia loves rebranding products.

My PC has an ASUS motherboard too, based on the same chipset, an M2N-MX SE, which is pretty much the same as your M2N-MX, but with half the RAM slots, half the SATA ports and no PCI-Express x1 slot.

When you install a newer version of the video driver, your "GeForce 6100 nForce 430" will be "upgraded" to "GeForce 6150SE nForce 430".

Last edited by Rockman-X; 2009-07-21 at 17:24. Reason: Details, details, details.
Rockman-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 19:51   Link #308
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I know, but nVidia loves rebranding products.
I hate how we 9800GTX users were trolled by the GTS-250
Old 2009-07-22, 00:04   Link #309
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
I hate how we 9800GTX users were trolled by the GTS-250
aye, I almost fell for the troll... the 250 is fine for someone gearing up from an 8000 series or earlier as part of step up upgrades.... but a 9xxxx user is better off saving a few more pennies and skipping the entire entry levels of GTS. But this is veering into off-topic hardware babble.

So far my windows 7 experience has been pretty seamless outside of the "homegroup/workgroup" change (which is needless bullshit from the home perspective... almost a canard to make joe-average think they need to upgrade all their systems at once). However, my Vista system next to it is pretty stable now at this point as well.

I will grit my teeth and say the Windows Media Player package is pretty nice in terms of managing video/audio, handling mp3 players, burning CDs, etc. I've been able to retire many other tools though the CCCP classic is still my favorite way to play anime.

This may be the point at which I can have one machine running Ubuntu for "serious work" and one machine running Win7 for 'entertainment and games'.
Old 2009-07-22, 04:29   Link #310
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman-X View Post
"GeForce 6100 nForce 430" was rebranded by nVidia to "GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" just because it has a different clock speed (and VERY slightly better performance) than the other "GeForce 6100 nForce 4x0"s. That's stupid, I know, but nVidia loves rebranding products.
Well that does explain one thing I saw a while ago in the Ubuntu forums where someone had the GeForce 6100 nForce 430 chipset but upon installing the driver for the graphics in Ubuntu it showed up as a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 although I'll still stick to my guns and get a more modern graphics card (although I'll have to be careful since none of the GTX200 series cards will fit in my case) along with getting another hard drive since I'm not going to be installing windows seven on the same hard drive I have XP installed on plus I'd need somewhere to store all the driver installation files I'd need.
Old 2009-07-22, 23:39   Link #311
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Just switched because I was about to tear my hair out trying to install Vista Service Pack 1 (I wasted 12+ hours). It has some very sweet navigation ideas going on. Definitely what Vista should have been.

I'm going to poke around for free giveaways on campus. They're going to get very popular on recruitment talks. ^^;;
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 23:46   Link #312
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

By the way, Windows 7 is RTM'd, and the build number is 7600, but not likely to buy it since it's too expensive, although I'm so getting the Snow Leopard upgrade though.

I'll wait until it releases to my sister's college... so I can get it for free (and she doesn't use Windows since my sister uses Mac OS X primarily with Windows XP installed in Parallels.)
Old 2009-07-23, 21:54   Link #313
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
By the way, Windows 7 is RTM'd, and the build number is 7600, but not likely to buy it since it's too expensive, although I'm so getting the Snow Leopard upgrade though.
Agreed - I'm much more excited about OSX 10.6 than about Windows 7, but now that I'm no longer a full-time Windows user I guess that's an obvious statement to make.

I've played with Windows Vista and Windows 7 through virtual machines. In both cases I wasn't able to access the Aero experience, and of course, I wasn't using them for my primary activities. Seven has some nice user interface overhauls, although I still feel that it's a bit inferior to some of the window sorting options in Mac OS X and Linux (namely expose). Overall user experience is improved compared to Vista, at least a bit.

I'm not a Mac fanboy. At this point I'm stuck on OS X due to the presence of software that I use for research that has no Windows counterpart. Combined with the fact that I can't virtualize OS X but I can virtualize Windows, it's OS X for me. Regardless, Windows 7, while nice, doesn't particularly make me wish that I could switch back to Windows, nor do I have a burning desire to work insde of Win7 in a virtual machine. I like the idea of the added security measures, but it won't displace Windows XP for my Windows VM usage for now...
Old 2009-07-23, 22:07   Link #314
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I'm no Mac fanboy either since there are some things they do I don't like and I use multiple OSes, but I perfer Mac OS X since it's a more productive operating system with software I depend on which are Mac only (LittleSnapper (I use this alot to take screenshots and orgainze them), Tweetie, Garageband (to import MIDIs and play them back and also as a sound editor), Phoneview (to view my iPhone filesystem without using ssh) and etc. Besides the few games that I need to use Windows for full performance which will run like crap in a virtual machine (Audiosurf (there is no Mac version and it's steam only), Sims 2 (since I own the PC only copies), Sims 3 (preference), various Key/Visualarts Visual Novels (which I can also play in Crossover Mac), and etc...) Windows 7 would just be a waste of money since I only spend 10% of my time in Windows and I rarely use any Windows only apps and it won't give me much improvement for that much use for such a high price tag (but it would benefit someone who uses Windows as the primary OS like my mom)...

Also, I still perfer running Windows XP Professional over Windows 7 in a virtual machine since it still slower than Windows XP Pro.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:19   Link #315
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, to return - for a short moment if you please - to the earlier topic of a browser-less W7E, it looks like MS will give some thought to implementing the EEC's IE-alternatives catalogue, although no final decision has been made yet.

Amusing how they decide once again to change the code although they've just RTM'd Build 7600.16385...

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-07-24 at 15:40.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 23:00   Link #316
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I wonder if Microsoft will selfpwn themselves again this year?

Well, I have both a Core 2 Duo Sony Vaio and a white Macbook so I'll be installing Windows 7 on both. It's unfortunate I'll have to pay $100 more for W7 than I will for Snow Leopard though.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 23:08   Link #317
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The decision is a good thing... since people who aren't experienced with computers don't have to use command line just to get the latest Mozilla Firefox web browser or downloading it using a different computer...

Removing IE completely with no way to download a browser is a stupid decision of Microsoft to begin with, but I guess most people will be happy that they don't have to jump through the hoops just to get onto the internets...
Old 2009-07-25, 00:04   Link #318
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd rather see the OEMs being allowed to bundle one or more browser packages.... but at this point - oye, whatever. Now there's going to be a constant "what about browser X?" whine...
Old 2009-07-25, 11:36   Link #319
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd rather see the OEMs being allowed to bundle one or more browser packages.... but at this point - oye, whatever. Now there's going to be a constant "what about browser X?" whine...
The interdiction is only for the Windows 7 sold in box In the end the average user will never have any problem because he don't buy a Windows alone but with a computer and if an OEM want to sold computer with 7 and IE8 it can.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 19:19   Link #320
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Apparently Media Player Classic fails to read softsubs on my Windows 7 install (I had to switch to Zoom Player). Is this happening to anyone else? I'm on build 7100 (I know, I can't be bothered).
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote