AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 45 51.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 13.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-07, 09:46   Link #81
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Personally?

I don't think Kurisu was actually dead in episode 1. John Titor makes it very clear in the early episodes when discussing the timelines that death is death, and it will happen regardless of what changes are made to the timelines that exist. That's probably the reason why Mayuri keeps dying even when Moeka and SERN aren't involved, and it's the reason why if she had truly been dead, Kurisu wouldn't have lasted as long as she has in the other timelines. If she had been dead, she would have died at her time regardless of what timeline she was in.

I won't deny that Kurisu was dying, maybe, since she lost so much blood. But I don't think she was actually dead. And that was why Okabe was able to send the D-mail and change the timeline to a place where Kurisu never had her near death experience.
I don't think that's the reason. For me, it's because the Kurisu who died in episode 1 was the one in the Beta/Alpha line. So I agree with Viperdk1. The first dmail that Okarin sent, made him switch to the Beta/Alpha line. That's why Kurisu is not dead in this one since it's the beta/alpha line and not one of the line of the beta/alpha.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:01   Link #82
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I don't think that's the reason. For me, it's because the Kurisu who died in episode 1 was the one in the Beta/Alpha line. So I agree with Viperdk1. The first dmail that Okarin sent, made him switch to the Beta/Alpha line. That's why Kurisu is not dead in this one since it's the beta/alpha line and not one of the line of the beta/alpha.
By that logic, if they switch from the 'Alpha' line (Suzuha described the current line as the 'Alpha' line in this ep) to the 'Beta' line, Kurisu would be dead in the 'Beta' line.

Thus, Okabe would have to make a choice. Move to the 'Beta' line and save Mayuri (and kill Kurisu), or stay on the 'Alpha' line and let Mayuri die.

Ouch, that's one hell of a choice to make - and if this train of logic is true, I wouldn't envy him one bit. To make a choice between the 'love interest' (Kurisu) and your childhood friend (Mayuri)...I wouldn't be able to do that, that's for sure.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:04   Link #83
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
By that logic, if they switch from the 'Alpha' line (Suzuha described the current line as the 'Alpha' line in this ep) to the 'Beta' line, Kurisu would be dead in the 'Beta' line.

Thus, Okabe would have to make a choice. Move to the 'Beta' line and save Mayuri (and kill Kurisu), or stay on the 'Alpha' line and let Mayuri die.

Ouch, that's one hell of a choice to make - and if this train of logic is true, I wouldn't envy him one bit. To make a choice between the 'love interest' (Kurisu) and your childhood friend (Mayuri)...I wouldn't be able to do that, that's for sure.
Yes but maybe we could have another main line such as Zeta line where everyone is alive ?
Old 2011-07-07, 10:11   Link #84
HeartlessEponine
~Love and Fire~

For FB For FB....For FACEBOOK. Loljwk

This another episode that makes me sad for Kyouma. Trying his best to rescue Mayuri but ended with the same result.

D: The last part about Suzuha was quite of a shocker though.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:33   Link #85
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:

You know, has anyone ever actually considered that maybe switching over to the Beta timeline not be the best idea in the world? I mean sure, the Alpha timeline is pretty messed up from what we've seen, but what if the Beta timeline has similar problems? They might just be trading in one form of evil for another.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:48   Link #86
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
You know, has anyone ever actually considered that maybe switching over to the Beta timeline not be the best idea in the world? I mean sure, the Alpha timeline is pretty messed up from what we've seen, but what if the Beta timeline has similar problems? They might just be trading in one form of evil for another.
S;G's timelines in general are all messed up to begin with - so it wouldn't surprise me if both timelines are screwed up to hell, especially as SERN will most likely exist in both timelines.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:49   Link #87
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

So find a way to get to Gamma. Or Epsilon.

If it's possible to break the 1% barrier, it's possible to do it again, right?
Old 2011-07-07, 11:00   Link #88
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Was the 1% barrier ever actually broken at all before this point? I know they've come close to it with every D-mail they've sent, but I don't think they've crossed it yet. Unless the shift in lines from Kurisu being dead to Kurisu being alive was the barrier being broken?
Old 2011-07-07, 11:16   Link #89
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Was the 1% barrier ever actually broken at all before this point? I know they've come close to it with every D-mail they've sent, but I don't think they've crossed it yet. Unless the shift in lines from Kurisu being dead to Kurisu being alive was the barrier being broken?
Which was what I alluded to before you claimed that Kurisu wasn't actually dead in Ep1
Old 2011-07-07, 11:38   Link #90
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Which was what I alluded to before you claimed that Kurisu wasn't actually dead in Ep1
But didn't John Titor say in early episodes that death is set in stone even if you change the world lines? Because by that logic, Kurisu shouldn't have been saved.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:06   Link #91
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

By that logic, Mayuri can't be saved, and yet John Titor is implying that's possible, by changing world trunks rather than world lines. Perhaps the barrier was broken to save Kurisu, and that's what started the whole mess. Perhaps that's why Suzuha is mad at her.

The question now becomes, how does one manage to change world trunks reliably? Suzuha tells them about how at least part of it is the event around which the change is based, but I have a feeling there's more to it than that.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:11   Link #92
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
But didn't John Titor say in early episodes that death is set in stone even if you change the world lines? Because by that logic, Kurisu shouldn't have been saved.
Look at the rope analogy Suzuha gave out in this episode. To be fair, I could do with having another look at it - but from what I remember, here's what happens:

A rope may look like one single line, but it's made up of several smaller lines that are closely packed together. All of the changes using the D-mail (possibly barring the first D-mail in Ep 1) moved the world line from one of those smaller rope lines to another small rope line within the same strand of rope.

All of those world lines (within a certain strand of rope) have certain events within that are fated to happen regardless of which world line within that 'strand of rope' is being used (by that logic, even if Ruka was a boy or if Akihabara still contained the otaku culture, Mayuri would still die.)

By changing to a different 'rope' by breaking the 1% barrier, the events that are fated to occur within the first rope no longer occur.

Don't take my word as gospel truth - but that's what I think.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:17   Link #93
Onibur
(ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Suzuha says that the d-mail and time-leap can't break the barrier. The barrier could have been broken when Suzuha doesn't leave, thus the time machine(barrier breaker ) is still there. Influential people and/or objects are just as important as major events.

Quote:
I don't remember but maybe John referred to the "world lines" as the "threads" within the rope.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:42   Link #94
Kusa-San

Quote:
Look at the rope analogy Suzuha gave out in this episode. To be fair, I could do with having another look at it - but from what I remember, here's what happens:

A rope may look like one single line, but it's made up of several smaller lines that are closely packed together. All of the changes using the D-mail (possibly barring the first D-mail in Ep 1) moved the world line from one of those smaller rope lines to another small rope line within the same strand of rope.

All of those world lines (within a certain strand of rope) have certain events within that are fated to happen regardless of which world line within that 'strand of rope' is being used (by that logic, even if Ruka was a boy or if Akihabara still contained the otaku culture, Mayuri would still die.)

By changing to a different 'rope' by breaking the 1% barrier, the events that are fated to occur within the first rope no longer occur.

Don't take my word as gospel truth - but that's what I think.
Yep that's what she said. The main line aka Alpha/Beta etc...is the rope. And these main lines have sub-line which have all the same end even if the scenario to this end is different.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:43   Link #95
dragon132004

I asked this in the avatar request thread but it seems there is no one interested in it..
Can someone please make an avatar and if possible a signature for Steins;Gate episode 14 for Makise Kurisu at the timeframe 12:25-12:27... She looked just awesome in that caption
Old 2011-07-07, 14:58   Link #96
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon132004 View Post
I asked this in the avatar request thread but it seems there is no one interested in it..
Can someone please make an avatar and if possible a signature for Steins;Gate episode 14 for Makise Kurisu at the timeframe 12:25-12:27... She looked just awesome in that caption
I believe there is one avatar and signature thread in this subforum.Try this thread,you should be able to find it.

On the other hand,is that the scene when Kurisu made a mad scientist pose at the timeframe of 12:25-12:27?
Old 2011-07-07, 15:26   Link #97
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
Okarin didn't know much about the D-mail's functions and its potentials to shift the world lines that he inhabited before. one thing in my mind about the D-mail when Okarin uses is...

Why it is getting farther from 1% divergence?
I believe the divergence rate is a vector number,which means that the divergence rate is not just showing the magnitude of the divergence but the direction of it.The fact that the previous D-mails which decreased the divergence rate to make it ever further from 1% divergence actually implies that the D-mails were diverting the events to closely resemble the events in the 0.000000% divergence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onibur23 View Post
I don't remember but maybe John referred to the "world lines" as the "threads" within the rope.
That's why I think it's inappropiate to call Alpha and Beta "world lines".The rope analogy already showed that Alpha and Beta are bunches of multiple world line possibilities which will lead to their respective futures.There is a proper name to Alpha and Beta which I hope it will be revealed in the next episode.If the next episode does not say anything about that name,maybe I will say it in the next episode discussion.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:26   Link #98
Hopeful Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
EP10. Okarin got really sick with a high fever when the world was panicking over the Y2K thing.

Loving the reference to ep14, when Suzuha mentions the three major events that impact the world. The show really is clever with the minor seemingly meaningless things. Apparently the world line really did skip saving the world from the Y2K issue, and it was Okarin's first episode with his magic eye, Reading Steiner.
Yeah, that part had completely slipped my mind, but does it really have anything to do with Reading Steiner? I thought Reading Steiner was involved with memories only. Even after he was saved, everyone still remembers the fact that he was sick. His memory of that time isn't any different from anyone else's.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:37   Link #99
Eater of All
NOM

All this talk about choosing between Mayuri and Kurisu even after the 1% line makes me sad.

I guess Okarin has no choice but to use his spiral energy and break the 10% line instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Death View Post
Yeah, that part had completely slipped my mind, but does it really have anything to do with Reading Steiner? I thought Reading Steiner was involved with memories only. Even after he was saved, everyone still remembers the fact that he was sick. His memory of that time isn't any different from anyone else's.
Something tells me that Okarin's fever might be a conspiracy or a deliberate attempt by someone to instill this Reading Steiner ability into him (maybe someone left behind before the world shifted?). Or maybe he has always had this innate ability in him, and it took a beta/alpha world shift to awaken it. *shrug* It's too great a coincidence.
Old 2011-07-07, 17:09   Link #100
Hopeful Death

My opinion is that it was just a natural sickness, and his life was saved by the fact that the Y2K bug split was going to happen. For example, let's say it was his fate to die in a world where the Y2K bug occurs, but when major timeline splits occur, people's fates change. So the moment the world took the turn into "the Y2K bug will not happen" territory his fate to die would change and he would start getting better the moment the clock hit midnight. But that would mean that he changed to a different 'rope', and yet, his memories are still the same as anyone elses. That means that either he didn't have Reading Steiner at that moment(or maybe the experience that his life was saved through that jump is what awakened his power in the first place) or the events that happened to Okabe in the new 'rope' were all identical to the events that happened in the old one before the year 2000. The latter isn't really that unlikely, since most of his experiences up to that point were probably trivial and stuff he doesn't even remember, he was just as child afterall.(I would also just say it's logical to assume that a split like that would only affect FUTURE events that happen AFTER the split itself but you never know with time travel stories)

Or perhaps that 'leap' to the 'other' rope was just a natural 50-50 selection made by the world, in which case maybe Reading Steiner would not activate. In fact, maybe looking at is as "changing ropes" to begin with is a mistake. If it's the result of the natural progress of time, nothing was 'changed'. The world split was 'born' at that very moment. And since Okabe has no experience in the OTHER split, there would be nothing to contradict his memories. For example, maybe saying it splits from 'A' to 'A or B' is wrong. Maybe it's more like it splits from 'A' into 'B or C'. Mmmm. actually that doesn't seem right. Head is starting to hurt.

Also, the fact that your life is hanging in the balance during the exact moment that a major timeline event that can change fate is going to occur is probably an extremely rare case. Who knows how people's fate's would react to that kind of thing. In fact, maybe it's possible that even if the Y2K bug DID happen, maybe Okabe's fate would still change and he would live. I mean, the fact that a split occurred there at all is probably pretty influential. I don't know, I kind of doubt that though

Last edited by Hopeful Death; 2011-07-07 at 17:27.
Closed Thread