AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 22:40   Link #1
Jujubee

Difference between Season 2 and Part 2?

You know how some anime have sequels (Genshiken 2, Shakugan no Shana Second) that usually start over with an Episode 1. And some anime have seasons that continue on with the numeric order (Eureka 7, Gurren Lagann) with Episode 13? I was just wondering if there's a reason for that.
Jujubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 23:13   Link #2
larethian

I can think of 2 possibilities:
1. It's just the way fansubs choose to number them.
or
2. They were confirmed split cours right at the beginning.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 23:27   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
This is pretty much the reason "part 2" exists, so that the studio can have more time to work on the episodes, and is planned from the beginning. (F/Z, Jormungand, Medaka Box, and Rinne no Lagrange all did this recently).

While 2nd season is generally not necessarily planned from the start, and may or may not depend on the success of the series in ratings, sales, and/or boosting the source material.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 23:56   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Season 2 could be another story or an arc with the original cast and new additions. I agree that this could be also an "unexpected" continuation due to popularity of the said series.

>>>>Best example would be Dog Days where new main characters where added in it's second season.

Part 2 could be simply the continuation of Part 1 which could have ended as a "cliffhanger". It must be shown cause it'll left the first part hanging with no ending...

>>>>I think Hiiro no Kakera and the continuation should have fallen under this. The characters are still the same but not always in some anime.

That's my guest...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-14 at 01:39.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 01:13   Link #5
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I can think of 2 possibilities:
1. It's just the way fansubs choose to number them.
or
I do not acknowledge the term "cour", and instead consider the split as separate seasons to a series. This is despite direct continuation.

For example: Fate/Zero
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 01:29   Link #6
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

There is no difference in the context of what you asked.

In the old days, this was less of an issue for various reasons, but one of the big ones was that subbing was far slower, so you often didn't watch a series until it was already done airing, leaving many of us western viewers disconnected from the entire concept of "seasons".

These days, with same day subs, we're a lot more aware of "seasons", and I just consider every 11-12 week block a season.

The only time I'd actually use "part" in place of "season" is if it was a mini series or something.

As for subbers who can't seem to make up their mind over whether to use "season" or "part" for a tv series, they're just dumb.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 08:23   Link #7
robinmbers

me too,I do not acknowledge the term "cour", and instead consider the split as separate seasons to a series.thank you
robinmbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 12:22   Link #8
Blaat

The problem stems from the fact that people try to impose the American television terminologies on the Japanese television which doesn't really work and to make matters worse they also use the terms inconsistently. So a season can mean both a 'cour' (I'm not sure why people don't want to acknowledge that word nor am I sure on what they're trying to achieve here) and sequel or continuation season can also be called a season.