Notices

Old 2012-09-14, 00:26   Link #141
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Gametrailers - XCOM: Enemy Unknown First Contact Preview

And more previews on youtube:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube

Finally, we have two full, uninterrupted gameplay vids with no commentary, giving us our clearest look at just plain gameplay.

YouTube
YouTube

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-09-14 at 06:49.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 19:47   Link #142
Key Board
Carbon

thank you for the links

battle music is quite tribal and catchy
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 10:12   Link #143
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

battle music is quite tribal and catchy
Trivia: The music composer for XCOM: Enemy Unknown is Michael McCann, who's best known for his musical works for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-09-16, 13:44   Link #144
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
So this game....is it like Valkyria Chronicles with it's turn-based combat?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 14:33   Link #145
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
So this game....is it like Valkyria Chronicles with it's turn-based combat?
It's actually a most apt comparison. Both are turn-based squad tactics games with emphasis on small-unit tactics, along with a side of base management. In the case of XCOM though, the base management is more extensive with the ability to customize your base and needing to respond to threats around the world, instead of being a linear campaign like in VC.

It's odd that for a long time, Valkyria Chronicles was actually compared to X-COM (the original game with a hyphen) as its spiritual successor.

Old 2012-09-16, 18:32   Link #146
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Oh well, good luck to the folks who're going to be able to play this. The fact that my system is XP SP2 (and the minimum required is Vista) means I won't be able to even run the thing.
Old 2012-09-16, 19:37   Link #147
JohnNiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It's actually a most apt comparison. Both are turn-based squad tactics games with emphasis on small-unit tactics, along with a side of base management. In the case of XCOM though, the base management is more extensive with the ability to customize your base and needing to respond to threats around the world, instead of being a linear campaign like in VC.

It's odd that for a long time, Valkyria Chronicles was actually compared to X-COM (the original game with a hyphen) as its spiritual successor.
Of course, having Valkyria Chronicles described in X-Com terms messed me up at the beginning. In VC, the game pauses while you're targeting, but at all other times, reaction fire from the enemy is ongoing, while you only return fire between turns. In the original X-Com, all reaction fire is done between turns. Needless to say, I died a bit in VC before I adjusted.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 23:59   Link #148
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
Of course, having Valkyria Chronicles described in X-Com terms messed me up at the beginning...
Thanks so much for reminding me that an XCOM-inspired extra mission in VC would be pretty awesome...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 10:31   Link #149
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Thanks so much for reminding me that an XCOM-inspired extra mission in VC would be pretty awesome...
XCOM: Enemy Unknown to Valkyria Chronicles conversion mod. You know you want to.

Gamespot preview:

YouTube

Triple post bump:

Gamespot and Firaxis will be holding a livestream featuring more XCOM: Enemy Unknown later today at 10am PDT.

Also, 4th part of the OXM video series, as the squad takes revenge for Kitkat Chunky:

YouTube

Man, Quadruple Post, but for Important News this time:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown now has a DEMO!

Button isn't working as of yet unfortunately, seems it might go up in a couple of hours after the livestream.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-09-24 at 10:37. Reason: quad post...
Old 2012-09-24, 10:42   Link #150
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Now that's what I wanted to hear. I've avoided anything that shows gameplay just to let myself be surprised about how it turns out .
Old 2012-09-24, 10:57   Link #151
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Download demo button works now, it's a 5GB download.

Old 2012-09-25, 15:21   Link #152
Blaat

I have just checked out the demo, it's a short one and I can only really comment on the tactical combat.
The things I like is the fast paced feeling of the combat and the mini talents of the individual character. On the other hand I did not like the level design so far, it's small and really linear, I really hope that's only for the early game/demo.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:47   Link #153
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Apparently people have been poking around in the demo, and found the names of the possible Hero Easter Eggs. Sid Meier is a given, but others found were Ken Levine, Joe Kelly, Steve Martin and... Otto Zander. Those who've followed Guava Moment's Lets Plays of the classic games should know the last name. Yep.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:51   Link #154
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Oh man I just played the demo and I want the game nao!

Good news is I found two new videos of a person playing the "Preview" version for the news media people which shows off more stuff than the demo version for the general public.

Spoiler for For size:

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-09-27 at 15:37.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 08:52   Link #155
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Apparently people have been poking around in the demo, and found the names of the possible Hero Easter Eggs. Sid Meier is a given, but others found were Ken Levine, Joe Kelly, Steve Martin and... Otto Zander. Those who've followed Guava Moment's Lets Plays of the classic games should know the last name. Yep.
Here's Ken Levine as an XCOM Hero:

For those who don't know, if you rename one of your soldiers into the name of the hero unit, the game automatically transforms them into said hero unit with their own unique stats and abilities. Doing so however disables achievements.

Also, for those who want to get more out of the demo, DHX from the 2k forums released this Demo Editor that allows you to select the enemies you fight in the second mission, how many soldiers you can deploy, difficulty level and even allow you to use Laser or Plasma weapons. Here's a screenshot from a playthrough I did with it:

Images

(The Demo Editor may give you an error when you first run it. If this happens, just run the demo, exit, then run the Demo Editor again.)

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-09-27 at 09:03.
Old 2012-09-27, 11:18   Link #156
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Playing the demo made a question pop in my head.

In the old X-Com, your base was build from a top down perspective and converted into the mission map, when it was attacked.
But in the new Xcom the base is seen from the side.

So... How is base defense going to work? Does this mean we can't build chokepoints anymore?
Old 2012-09-27, 12:52   Link #157
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

If my mind serves me right, I remember they're talking about removing the "base under attacked" part.
Old 2012-09-27, 14:42   Link #158
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
If my mind serves me right, I remember they're talking about removing the "base under attacked" part.
What? We can't shock the aliens and farm them for study anymore?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 15:35   Link #159
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

The lead developer Jake Solomon said base attack was out, but "might" possibly come back later. I that's hinting at a expansion or a DLC.

I tried that Demo Editor and can't seem to get it to work. Is it suppose to auto find your XCOM game directory or are you suppose to manually put it in?
Old 2012-09-27, 15:54   Link #160
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post

I tried that Demo Editor and can't seem to get it to work. Is it suppose to auto find your XCOM game directory or are you suppose to manually put it in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
(The Demo Editor may give you an error when you first run it. If this happens, just run the demo, exit, then run the Demo Editor again.)
Or you can open the Editor using "Run as administrator".

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy