AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-08, 19:58   Link #81
Midonin
Last Engage

I have no problem with this yuri revolution, and in fact welcome it. I just wish some members of the community were a little more open minded. There is no world but the world of today.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 20:17   Link #82
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I was just looking at the 2channel thread for Takagaki Ayahi and someone has posted (several times in succession, lol) the statement:

青い花は女性向けの美しい百合
ささめきことは男ヲタ向けの百合アニメ
Aoi Hana is beautiful yuri for women.
Sasameki Koto is a yuri anime for male otaku.
Anime are not toilet, so no one can rule out that certain anime are for members of certain gender. (Disturbing as it is, there are girls who love Berserk. But that's okay. It's just preferences.) And then there are gender-neutral toilet.

Quote:
I have been comparing the manga unfavorably with Aoi Hana, but I'm liking it a bit better after seeing the anime, and after reading what I think is justified praise on Digital Boy's blog for that initial scene where they are watching the other two girls in the classroom.
That guy... really said everything that i want to say about the first scene of Sasameki Koto.

Quote:
The 2channel thread for this show is pretty interesting. Someone says that there have been a number of "tasteful" yuri shows recently: Aoi Hana, Kanamemo, ...
Were this is 4***n i would have rage'd, people putting Aoi Hana and Kanamemo in the same line. But then i remember how Kanamemo had merits of its own.

Quote:
... and this. Someone else mentions Railgun, but doesn't say the yuri there is tasteful, lol.

Someone else says that Aoi Hana was for older people, and this show is for high school students.
See what i wrote about toilet above. I'm a man of some age, yet i like both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto (and Kanamemo) for what they are.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 20:51   Link #83
Falkor

I can sort of undertand why Aoi Hana would be aimed to women. Kasai Kenichi tends to give a more josei-feeling to the shows he is involved in (or should I say, his style is perfect for josei). Now, I don't think Aoi Hana could be only enjoyed by a female audience; it has the appeal for both sexes---but I should also add that an older (more mature) audience may be able to understand/enjoy it more.

As for Sasameki Koto, it has more comedy and more quirky characters, and guys may enjoy these elements a bit more (as opposed to Aoi Hana). however, I'd also say that when it comes to drama it can be very subdue and poignant (more poignant than subdue, actually), once you get to really see the characters---and "relate" to their situations. I think the first episode did a awesome job hinting what was going on, with the body language and whatnot. you can sort of understand what's happening, what is that they are feeling. I especially loved how they portrayed Sumi, with her slight disappointment and the inability to express herself (and her feelings) due to the circumstances, and how, despite this, she continues to support Ushio and be there for her.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 02:09   Link #84
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

For one, I think Aoi Hana played it too safe and a bit aback with the Yuri situation. Too much worrying and pondering about what the partner is thinking instead of putting it more towards the action of getting the romance going one way or the other. The atmosphere in Aoi Hana was amazing, but I actually think Sasameki Koto is not too bad itself.

I mean, I had some girly tears watching the events in episode 1. Did not expect that at all, just like with Sumika at the end of the episode.

It's actually pretty refreshing to see some in-your-face-drama instead of all the subtleties. Though the episode surely didn't lack in that either. Great to see the characters interact without words at times.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 03:45   Link #85
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I just think people should stop comparing this with Aoi Hana just because they're both yuri titles. Both go about it completely different, and have their own strengths that make them stand out next to one another.
Old 2009-10-09, 03:48   Link #86
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
I was just looking at the 2channel thread for Takagaki Ayahi and someone has posted (several times in succession, lol) the statement:

青い花は女性向けの美しい百合
ささめきことは男ヲタ向けの百合アニメ
Aoi Hana is beautiful yuri for women.
Sasameki Koto is a yuri anime for male otaku.
From just the manga perspective I would most certainly agree with this statement, if not only based on the fact that the mangaka for the former is female, and for the latter, male.

Not to say that a mangaka of one sex can't make a good story that caters to the opposite gender's tastes. It is a bit rare, though...

The atmosphere of both stories are very different however. Not so apparent in the anime so far, as Sasameki Koto seems to be wafting a bit in the direction of Aoi Hana-level sobriety... (;;´∀`)
But just to put it into perspective, I'd probably say that the differences between the storytelling of Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are analagous to those between Nodame Cantabile and School Rumble.

.....except I like SK a lot more than SR...
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 04:31   Link #87
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just think people should stop comparing this with Aoi Hana just because they're both yuri titles. Both go about it completely different, and have their own strengths that make them stand out next to one another.
That's the thing though. It's almost striking how different they are.
Old 2009-10-09, 04:43   Link #88
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
That's the thing though. It's almost striking how different they are.
Once more characters are properly and formally introduced, this is NOTHING like Aoi Hana. The plots later on......I guess it's almost like School Rumble-lite. One thing for sure, the director and AIC will know how to hit those dramatic scenes once they pop up. Hopefully they be able to balance the comedic scenes this time.
Old 2009-10-09, 04:44   Link #89
Oppius
Banned

I made a motivational poster out of it:

Spoiler for Facepalm:
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 06:47   Link #90
TCman

In my opinion Sasameki Koto has a totally different atmosphere than Aoi Hana. In terms of story-telling and artistically they are like apples and oranges. That does not say which one is better. I actually like them both: Aoi Hana for its story-telling and Sasameki Koto simply for fun/entertainment.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:50   Link #91
textgirl

Well folks im back after the crushing disapointment with marimite season 4 im happy to say im back and ready to review well sasameki koto(sk). this 1st ep was BEAUTIFUL i loved the art and the OP and bgm where beautiful in and out im not gonna compare this to aoi hana but i was very disappionted in aoi hana i expected more from them dramactically. I love sk's in your face style when it comes to emotions its very different from aoi hana where the drama was put off till the ending ep's. I expected sk to be more quarky in a comedic sense but i love it to me its way better than aoi hana where there was a dullness in the eps. Well to me aoi hana would have to take a 6/10 but if another season was made my mind would change but im not here to talk about aoi hana i cant wait to see how sk plots its self out. [/I][/I][/I][/B] well look forward to reviewing more sorry for the bad spelling ppl
textgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:54   Link #92
textgirl

Quote:
For one, I think Aoi Hana played it too safe and a bit aback with the Yuri situation. Too much worrying and pondering about what the partner is thinking instead of putting it more towards the action of getting the romance going one way or the other. The atmosphere in Aoi Hana was amazing, but I actually think Sasameki Koto is not too bad itself.

I mean, I had some girly tears watching the events in episode 1. Did not expect that at all, just like with Sumika at the end of the episode.

It's actually pretty refreshing to see some in-your-face-drama instead of all the subtleties. Though the episode surely didn't lack in that either. Great to see the characters interact without words at times.
i agree with u aoi hana did play it safe but i also think b/c of its publicity to some of the fans it got our hopes up and when the show aired it let us down it was the same for marimite season 4.
textgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 11:24   Link #93
firehawk12

Quote:

I used to make the same distinction between Marimite and Strawberry Panic. I'm not so sure, here.
Hah, this is probably the best analogy for the situation here - although, not to that extreme (Kampfer looks like it'll take the Strawberry Panic role!).

Sasakemi Koto doesn't delve into the hijinks of SP, but it's definitely a far less subtle than Aoi Hana. Most of it stems from the manic nature of the characters in SK though.

Spoiler for Aoi Hana and Sasakemi Koto spoilers:

That said, it's not that SK can't be good... but if you're looking for a serious take on yuri, then AH is the show you're going to turn to.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 17:00   Link #94
billborden

Having just watched eps1, I have to say I liked it. Good animation, likable (so far) characters and well written.

I find the parallels that people are drawing between Sasameki Koto/Aoi Hanna and Marimite/Strawberry Panic interesting. I don't think it's an entirely fair or accurate comparison, but I do see the connection. I have to point out though that in both shows that people claim are pointed at otaku, the the aggressive females (Kazama and Shizuma) are, for all intents, guys. Shizuma is pretty much the "Bishonen playboy" that the female lead just knows she can change in anyone of a number of Shōjo romances, and Kazama, with her "I only like cute girls" statement, could be the humorous sidekick/best-friend in every standard seinan Rom-Com.
Old 2009-10-10, 17:58   Link #95
TakumiFuji

Another interesting anime it was an enjoyable 1st ep. The only thing I find disheartening is that already people are comparing it to other yuri type shows.
TakumiFuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 02:16   Link #96
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Enjoyed the first episode. I only got through two episodes of Aoi Hana before I dropped it due to not having the time to watch it, so I myself can't really compare that to Sasameki Koto, but I like what I'm seeing so far from Sasameki Koto. This time I hope I'll actually have the opportunity to finish the series.

Maybe I should also get back to watching Aoi Hana.
Old 2009-10-11, 03:13   Link #97
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by textgirl View Post
i agree with u aoi hana did play it safe but i also think b/c of its publicity to some of the fans it got our hopes up and when the show aired it let us down it was the same for marimite season 4.
Well, that and the manga apparently wasn't finished for Aoi Hana so they probably needed to catch up. I just hope this anime doesn't have the same fate. I love that we're getting brand new stories, but they're going at it so fast, they run out of manga material too quickly.
Old 2009-10-11, 03:35   Link #98
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Well, that and the manga apparently wasn't finished for Aoi Hana so they probably needed to catch up. I just hope this anime doesn't have the same fate. I love that we're getting brand new stories, but they're going at it so fast, they run out of manga material too quickly.
There's enough manga material here for 12/13 episodes, so we should be safe.
Old 2009-10-12, 04:27   Link #99
Fweakin

Sasameki Koto. I feel a little ambivalent about this series.

On one hand, we have some nice storytelling, some fantastic line delivery, (mostly by Takagaki Ayahi's Sumika but the line I loved most was the faltering "S..Sumi-chan......Sss.....Sempai" in the library) and amusing moments.

On the other hand it felt like a very loooong episode, which felt too long at times, like they are trying to set up the drama and backstory during this episode. The art is not great in some spots, and the transitions and art that worked so well during the manga didn't work very well in this form.

What I would like to remind manga readers of is that Chapter 1 of the manga was really not overly funny at all. It gets funny in later chapters (and I assume it continues in that fashion, as I stalled reading at Chapter 13ish), but the 1st chapter was fairly angst-erific. If you don't believe me go back and read for yourself.

Props again to Crunchyroll for picking up this title. Yay for diversity in licensed titles.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 19:48   Link #100
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by textgirl View Post
Funny, I love the Aoi Hana manga, and I love the anime, too: it is one of my top 2-3 anime of this year. The "safe" they played it was very slight, it seemed to me, just making one relationship a bit vaguer than in the manga. There are some lines in later chapters of the manga I'd like to see in an anime, though, for sure.

And I myself really liked Marimite 4, too. I thought it was far more satisfying than 3, and maybe as good as the first two series. Perhaps I'd better go back and read some of the AnimeSuki threads to see what people objected to. I haven't read the novels, so that may make a difference.

And Fweakin, I agree about that line you mentioned, around 17:40, when Kazama was crying in the library and Sumi came to find her. Not many seiyuu can do a line like that convincingly. Kazuma is played by Takamoto Megumi, who is probably best known as Chao Rinshen in Negima, but is also excellent as Misaki-senpai in White Album, and is Winry Rockbell in the new FMA. Here are a couple of photos, the large one with seiyuu Yoshimura Yumi (right):
Spoiler for photos of Takamoto Megumi:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-10-12 at 20:43.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, yuri