AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-11-13, 11:16   Link #1
arekwibowo
Banned

Magic meets Science

OK, i won't talk too much since my english is very awkward sounding. Recently i've been fascinated by an awesome anime called Toaru Majutsu no Index with awesome premise where science and magic collide each other. I've watched several anime with magic vs magic or science vs science as the main premise yet those two seems quite boring to me as the time goes on, that's why i'm gonna watch something new with those two premise combined into one, that is magic vs science.

I'm still an anime-virgin, so i'm still quite confused to search for another titles with such premise. Can anyone help me please?
arekwibowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 11:57   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Modern Magic Made Simple (Yoku Wakaru Gendai Maho) seems to fit your request.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 12:24   Link #3
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Been wanting to look for something siimilar as well. Haven't found anything as of yet that has the sci fi vs fantasy that you're looking for, but I did run across a light novel series called Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Poor Performing Student of a Magic High School) on Baka Tsuki where magic is used as a science and technology. Its got itself a manga adaption but I'm hoping that an anime adaption get announced sometime soon in the future. So far it seems to have some fairly good chances of it happening if you ask me.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 18:02   Link #4
kitten320

If you don't mind gore and bunch of killing you could try Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

It is not exactly magic VS science but main theme is the following.

Witch VS Human

Basically bunch of people get stuck in a mansion where series of murders break out. All of them are done using magic and MC human has to prove that all of those killings could be done by human.
Old 2012-11-13, 18:17   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One possibility might be Mouryou no Hako where it is thought that some horrible murders are the result of supernatural forces and perhaps the work of a cult. Science and the supernatural also have an encounter in Ghost Hound with a little psychiatry thrown in for good measure. Another cult, too.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 18:52   Link #6
james0246

You might like Mahou Tsukai Tai, a very cute series about a high school club that uses magic to combat aliens . It's cute and silly but with a few decent battle scenes throughout.

While it doesn't feature a strong disparity or conflict between science and magic, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto and it's sequel are nice series that focuses on the interaction between magic and everyday life.

Also, while confined more to a magic world, there is a definite science to the magic of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu that might suit your purposes.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 19:08   Link #7
Lamentofsin
The lost dreamer...

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun is a side story with Misaka...You said you were an 'Anime-Virgin'....so I figured you might not have known there was more. Plus I have heard through the grapevine that they are putting out a second season of it...so....yay?!

-A
Lamentofsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 21:14   Link #8
Insane
Banned

What about Fullmetal Alchemist? The premise of this series is alchemy, which is basically a branch of science and magic. The plot and story are so awesome that you won't stop watching it until the very last episode.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 13:37   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

The upcoming January show Vivid Red Operation is also something you're looking for, though it doesn't have much hints about the plot.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 06:17   Link #10
Hewa Walendra

Mhh my brother showed me a first episode of an anime in this category. A girl on a white horse with a charming man(both blond), father and mother looking and then a big circular portal opening in the sky, sci fi flying crafts emerging with emphasis on a certain half-nude woman.. and there was a glimpse of dragons. Please, could you lot help me find it? My bro has dyslexia and dysgraphia and so I do not want to ask him. In return I can blab to you about my 2,9 years studiyng Japanese language and culture in Tallinn Uni, where I actually wrote papers on anime and almost wrote my bachelors on One Piece, how it mirrors and tries to solve the problems in Japanese society. :P
Hewa Walendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-11, 13:02   Link #11
Tenzen12

Cross Ange come to mind. Not sure though.
Old 2016-06-11, 18:09   Link #12
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Tweeny Witches plays with this. A human girl is whisked away to the world of magic, which is divided into the all-female Witches' world that runs on magic and the Warlocks'/Demons' world (the name is "mazoku" which doesn't exactly translate as "warlock" though the licensors beg to differ) which is based on science so extreme it can fabricate anything anyone wants (though it can't necessarily make the real thing).

Also seen to an extent in Gate, where a gate opens and an army from a parallel magic world attacks. Their magic works in our world and our science works in theirs. The main story's centered on the JSDF soldiers sent to demonstrate to the parallel Empire that the attack was a bad idea. Magic's role varies though, since generally the time it takes to cast a spell relative to the spell's firepower makes other methods more practical in general (especially since there aren't that many wizards).

Magic Users Club has a very light-hearted, humorous take on this with a small high school club of mages trying to defeat an extraterrestrial force that's been hovering for years above their city. Most accept the "Bell" since it has shown no aggression, and its probes are not merely docile in their observations, they actually pay attention to traffic and other laws. The club members are pretty much the only ones who think the thing is up to no good, and it really is, and has determined that the magic these people wield is the only thing that's powerful enough to stop them, or at least sufficiently unknown that they couldn't defend properly.

TV Tropes' "Magic Versus Science" and "The Magic Versus Technology War" articles mention a few others, such as Princess Mononoke, as well.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-12, 07:20   Link #13
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post

Also seen to an extent in Gate, where a gate opens and an army from a parallel magic world attacks. Their magic works in our world and our science works in theirs. The main story's centered on the JSDF soldiers sent to demonstrate to the parallel Empire that the attack was a bad idea. Magic's role varies though, since generally the time it takes to cast a spell relative to the spell's firepower makes other methods more practical in general (especially since there aren't that many wizards).
Also, in Gate, the after befriending the JSDF, a witch-in-training discovers she can make magic more effective by understanding the forces she is trying to manipulate i.e. she casts some of the strongest fire magic ever seen after reading about the physics behind combustion.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote