AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 12 23.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 25.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 13.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-28, 23:55   Link #21
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJackEvo View Post
Final note: I think this Betty & Veronica discussion, to use the TvTrope term for lack of a better one, has been done to death in other threads, but I'll still mention my piece either way as evidenced here.
! Well that's an amusing way of putting it. I was always a Betty fan myself

Old 2013-03-01, 00:00   Link #22
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
So Sena in her ignorance dismissed Yozora's past - granted she did not know and did not mean it, but nevertheless it is a stumble - both for herself and Yozora.

It is fine to have a particular outlook in life but takes more maturity to not say what you thought needs to be said, and Sena's lack of maturity comes from her total lack of restriant (not specific to this case). Is it okay to tell a war veteran suffering PTSD, despite your best intentions that 'it's just a war, people die, what's important is now that everything is fine!'? It is not, because you have not been through the same and cannot feel the same emotions. Is it okay to tell victms of child abuse that 'the past is not important, what's important is the future'? It is not, because past is always a part of a person and sometimes makes them who they are.

Extreme examples but Yozora holds the same significance on something trivial from other people's perspective, and unknowingly a line has been crossed.

Selfish is a word that can be applied to just about any character haganai. Sena in her obliviousness to anyone else's feelings, Yozora in her refusal to let go, Kodaka in his denials.
As others have said, it's not simply that Yozora has issues with her past, it's that she was abusing her authority as scriptwriter amd wasting their time, even though they already went over the same thing the day before.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2013-03-01, 00:07   Link #23
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozen Van Kaizer View Post
Sena would never drop that bomb if Yozora didn't mess around. 1st time was fine but seeing as she is starting to abuse that "childhood friend" was getting way out of hand.

Like Frivolity said, a person's past is very important but for them to start screwing around just because this and that happen to them is a sign for a good wake up call. You got an issue in the past? I respect that. You can't do this and that because of that? That's fine we'll work it out. You try to screw everyone because of that? I can't work with you.

Yozora actually got out easy compared to what happens if you did that in real life with real people. Everyone has their own problem and whether you want to know each person's situation or not (good luck trying to talk to Yozora, Sena), a job needs to be finished.
Eh, be careful about bringing real-life standards into the equation because the events in Haganai aren't meant to be interpreted literally. I wouldn't go as far to say that Yozora was abusing the childhood friend status, just that it was incorrectly used to justify an unrelated issue, and someone had to point it out. The point of the film is to showcase the Neighbours Club after all, so the opinions of everyone in the form of the vote should form the core of the film.

On an unrelated note, let's not confuse this particular issue with shipping, because that's not the point at all. I view the purpose of this scene as a form of character development for Yozora, and someone in the club had to tell her off. It didn't have to be Sena, it could have been Rika or anyone else. It had nothing to do with shipping so let's evaluate the scene without our shipping glasses on.
Old 2013-03-01, 00:18   Link #24
JamJackEvo

I had a thought:

How do you think will Yozora react if Kodaka took Sena's place in scolding her for the childhood friend fixation? Never mind the very low possibility of it actually happening, just think of Yozora's reaction.
Old 2013-03-01, 00:21   Link #25
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Probably in a similar manner, without the wishing that he didn't exist of course, since that would be the same as dividing by zero .
Old 2013-03-01, 00:23   Link #26
potchip

I'm not sure which part she's more upset about:
Sena giving her opinion or
Sena giving her opinion in front of Kodaka.

Leaning towards the latter.

Mind you, because she wasn't sure if Kodaka remembered, it took her almost a semester to reveal her identity and that's with events pushing her along. So any questions that has the potential to raise doubts in Kodaka, is ruination.
Old 2013-03-01, 00:23   Link #27
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Trolls. God damn frigging trolls. The episode titles are merely just a shoutout to other novels, and doesn't necessarily have to do anything with the episode content. I mean the second half deals with a movie that's has a cast of childhood friends, but no fighting at all. And in the 'real world', we got lots of fighting but still only Yozora to be the childhood friend. So I guess in a way they fulfilled the episode title, but they have done it separately. :sigh:

And here I was so hyped up to have another childhood friend revealed (or heck I would have settled with 'added') to the cast. So much disappointment AND anger within. >:-(

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2013-03-01, 02:28   Link #28
Calca
Expressionless

It's good to know that Yozora recognizes Sena as a true threat to Kodoka's affections.
Old 2013-03-01, 02:38   Link #29
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam
well I only noticed one instance of an unusual angle. I'm like, "really? No panties? What's the point?", despite knowing full well the intentions of that angle were.
I also liked Sena randomly doing a sexy pose about 36 seconds into the episode. No idea why she would suddenly spread her legs in the middle of playing a Visual Novel, but hey, can't complain about a free boner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragez2010
is she classified as tsundere or kuudere?
'Kuudere' is a better classification, I would say, since it fits her overall demeanor and she makes a much stronger effort to seem aloof than insulting. The only person she shows much tsun to is Sena, who she might genuinely hate (this episode confirmed that Sena legitimately hates Yozora, at least, though I guess there's still some room for interpretation there as to the honesty of her statement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko
Wouldn't a cat cafe be incredibly unsanitary to be able to stay in business?
My guess is that none of the customers can bring themselves to care because they're just so happy to be surrounded by kittens. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko
Those were times the two of them really cherished after all so that's likely why Yozora got so upset, though I'm not sure she believed why they'd be more important than the present.
I haven't read the Light Novels yet, and I'm not sure if Yozora's backstory has been elaborated upon even in the source material, but my guess is that she treasures the past so much not just because it was so nice, but because her life since then hasn't been so great. I'm thinking that the reason she hates bullies so much is because she might've been bullied herself sometime during the ten years between the backstory and the series proper, that it really damaged her, and that she's never known the same peace or security that she did during her childhood days with Kodaka. I also think that Yozora became so pissed at Sena's statement because her status as Kodaka's childhood friend is like a security blanket for her, a reminder that she might have the deepest relationship with Kodaka. "I've known Kodaka since we were children, so obviously his bond with me is more important than his bond with these newbies he's only known a short time." Sena's statement was like a splash of cold water reminding her that she's overestimating the importance of the past and underestimating the importance of the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJackEvo
I had a thought:

How do you think will Yozora react if Kodaka took Sena's place in scolding her for the childhood friend fixation? Never mind the very low possibility of it actually happening, just think of Yozora's reaction.
If it had been Kodaka who said that, the episode would have to be renamed to "My Childhood Friends Commit Suicide Too Much."

Okay, maybe that's a bit much, but unless Kodaka corrected himself on his faux pas, it would have a bad effect on Yozora, likely coming close to the top of the list of her most significant traumas.

Good episode. I think it's kind of endearing just how unashamedly biased Yozora is towards those she cares about.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2013-03-01 at 02:41. Reason: how do I verb tense
Old 2013-03-01, 03:12   Link #30
Entravity

Nice episode, looking forward to the next one.
Old 2013-03-01, 04:14   Link #31
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
On an unrelated note, let's not confuse this particular issue with shipping, because that's not the point at all. I view the purpose of this scene as a form of character development for Yozora, and someone in the club had to tell her off. It didn't have to be Sena, it could have been Rika or anyone else. It had nothing to do with shipping so let's evaluate the scene without our shipping glasses on.
Even as a Yozora fan I have to agree that when it comes to a responsibility like writing a script for a movie, you have to hold yourself to some standard of professionalism.

That being said, no reason to forget Neko-moe Yozora!

(btw, for some reasons, certain close up scenes in this episode reminds me of Nobuna's character designs... I think it's the eyes...)
Old 2013-03-01, 04:21   Link #32
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
'Kuudere' is a better classification, I would say, since it fits her overall demeanor and she makes a much stronger effort to seem aloof than insulting. The only person she shows much tsun to is Sena, who she might genuinely hate (this episode confirmed that Sena legitimately hates Yozora, at least, though I guess there's still some room for interpretation there as to the honesty of her statement).
I seriously doubt what they're expressing is true hatred. You don't keep hanging around someone you truly hate. At least, I wouldn't. I would avoid said person at all cost. They like to fight a lot and they get on each other's nerves frequently, but it's clear to me that they're growing towards each other rather than away, and that they will probably become good friends over time. The problem is that Yozora fears bonding with other people and thus pushes them away from her.

We know that Yozora sees Sena as a threat to her and Kodaka's (currently non-existent) relationship, and gives her hell for it. While Sena only now starts to understand that Yozora really wants Kodaka, before that, Yozora was just in the same way a rival to her as she was to Yozora. But, unlike Yozora, Sena is not afraid of commitment, so as long as Yozora stays passive towards Kodaka, she'll push herself away from everyone else more than anything. And at the same time, a lot of people are working behind the scenes to get Sena and Kodaka together, meaning Yozora could lose him forever if she doesn't act, at which point she'll end up all alone.
Old 2013-03-01, 04:39   Link #33
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post

C'est si bo~n!
Crap, I really laughed hard at this part, so hilarous.
Old 2013-03-01, 05:18   Link #34
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

And why were they showing a French movie in a Japanese theater?

I can say too , why are they showing a Japanese movie in a French theater?

"C'est si bon"

Anyway , Kodaka's chara development isn't making any progress at all this is great....
Old 2013-03-01, 05:58   Link #35
Divini
Senpai!

If Rika is thinking what I always think when she heard Yozora and Sena talk about "practicing for when we get friends", it would be "Aren't you all friends already?"

After all, Rika is sharp under that ero persona, and Kodaka should know what she's thinking, since he's had a normal school life with friends before.

It didn't bother me so much in the first season, but they sure seemed to get A LOT closer since then. I am getting exasperated with all that "practicing for friends" talk when to any outsider's eyes, they're basically as close as friends could get...
Old 2013-03-01, 07:25   Link #36
Sixth
Hu Tao

Is Rika the one who said "I seen this story before"....If yes, does this means Yozora is plagiarize from random media? I mean, It is Rika, there is no way this girl can do wrong here.

Also, this episode isn't that fun compares to previous episode. The characters name got me confused in this episode. LOL
Old 2013-03-01, 08:57   Link #37
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

I think Rika was simply lampshading the fact that the story was modelled after the club, all the way down to the simple modifications of the names.
Old 2013-03-01, 09:08   Link #38
garbage

sena , that a@@ on that shot, whew another no pan girl??( though quite creepy with that peropero scene oh why oh why....)
yozora she actually looked cool in that black jersey suit...but on a "date" well I guess it's not a "date"
c'est si bon! is C'EST SI BON! funny but weird choice of movie to watch on second thought , I guess the title is in french & they didin't know better >.<

aw f@@@ ! Rika got me there!!! it took me some seconds to see thru that what the heck cosplaying as Kobato ,, genius I say !! I even wondered what Kobato was doing there when her own class has their own movie to film & wondered the next second where Rika was (like is she readying the camera as per the opening ) ahaha >.< man she really is getting cooler & cooler ,
Btw what was she gonna say , that Kodaka already knew too? that they're already friends? well we never got confirmation but I guess that's it.

Kodaka as the imouto....I wished they stayed there :P ahaha

ah ah what a reversal there with Sena being the "reason" , and yozora doing the running away at the end of the confrontation. But who was really hurt here, just as Sena said never did she wish that yozora never existed in fact, that's a really painful thing to say. I even felt she became more gullible in the hopes that something would be there between them. Yozora was the one crying but Sena was the one shafted here. And no,being Osananajimi is no excuse here and never will be. Kodaka is not a thing that belongs to Yozora nor with anyone else, what yozora was trying to do with the script, just felt wrong to me in a lot of ways even before Sena confronted her about it. Then again Yozora has been doing that since the very beginning, in various ways. i guess that's one reason why she kinda rubs me the wrong way. Hope she gets past this though. Having a friend is not owning them. She should really stop lugging her past baggages along all the time, as Sena & Kodaka said. Although Kodaka was being kinda circuitous and seemed quite spineless/indecisive as always. Anyway at least the ending was hopeful & filming starts next episode ^^
this seems to be the story of the last arc this season.

I liked this episode, good mix of comedy with nice char dev & plot progression. oh well Rika always makes it good
Old 2013-03-01, 09:35   Link #39
JamJackEvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Is Rika the one who said "I seen this story before"....If yes, does this means Yozora is plagiarize from random media? I mean, It is Rika, there is no way this girl can do wrong here.
Going back to the episode and listening to the end part, it's definitely Maria's voice not Rika's.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:11   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm glad somebody finally put Yozora in her place. And I'm even happier that somebody was Sena. What she told her was absolutely right, she shouldn't keep dwelling on the past. The present is what matters. I never thought I'd ever see Yozora running away crying Sena-style... I kinda felt bad for her. Actually, not really. I find it hard to sympathize with her given her attitude. Hopefully, this will serve as a wake-up call and she will start to change.

Until now I thought Yozora had romantic feelings for Kodaka, but this episode made it clear all she truly wants is for their relationship to go back to how it was 10 years ago. This works perfectly. This way, they can reach the best ending where Sena becomes Kodaka's wife, Yozora his BFF and Rika his mistress. Everybody will be happy!

As for the funny parts of the episode, the French movie took the cake. Rika's Kobato cosplay wasn't bad either, she totally had me fooled for a second. I'm loving Rika this season. Everything she does is gold.