AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-07, 09:26   Link #321
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Should it be at all surprising that people digs Kira?

This is a man who has increidble swordsmanship, who survives wars without killing (he practices Zen, apparently), who is 'the' champion of justice, and is completely selfless before his Goddess wife (who is very useful on her own right, with masive political power to boot and has the kind of chemstry you just can't resist).

He is the most Japanese of all protagonists in the Gundam franchise. The archtype of a Samurai if you will. Stoic, dedicated & efficient. Can't blame fans for loving him.

And women find him sexy half-naked (every wonder why Kira cosplayers are mostly women? ever wonder why there are 'Kira' accessories aimed only for women? Western fandoms excluded). Not to mention they simply find this series more accessible than ones before it. The Cosmic Era is something even Urumi from GTO can understand, and thats saying a lot.

Incindently, Shiho scored 25, and she doesn't speak a single word in both series (she spoke in the game), save for less than 10 frames of animation. It just goes to tell how fans dig Japanese characters.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2006-07-07 at 17:56.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 12:27   Link #322
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Wow....

I'm beginning to see why the Shinn fans and Kira fans are always feuding with each other. The post above is such an eye opener.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 21:49   Link #323
Anavel
*Graphic Designer

Nice to see Anavel Gato's rank hasn't been lowered. >_>
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 08:25   Link #324
Cloudy

I thought Suzumiya Haruhi should have topped the anime characters chart but I'm glad to see Sakura from tsubasa chronicle topping the animedia chart.

I wonder why people vote for GSD characters although the last 13 eps sucked in my opinion.
Old 2006-07-20, 10:49   Link #325
Ichimaru

the odd thing about that list is that non of the characters in naruto made the list
Old 2006-07-20, 11:18   Link #326
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy
I thought Suzumiya Haruhi should have topped the anime characters chart but I'm glad to see Sakura from tsubasa chronicle topping the animedia chart.

I wonder why people vote for GSD characters although the last 13 eps sucked in my opinion.
You've pretty much answered your own questions there.

Your opinion. And while many here as well are dissapointed in GSD bar a few, it still doesn't mean the Japanese casual fans dislike it.

Besides, as okay... as Suzumiya Haruhi is, it just isn't mainstream like Gundam. We'll see if time proves otherwise, but that's something for another place.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 18:12   Link #327
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
...and the fact that Haruhi fans tried hard to force others to worship the anime serves to be it's downfall at the same like (proven with their attempt for a Haruhi 10MILGET in 4chan, but got overtaken at the last moment. God knows what happens when these Haruhists got what they wanted. Not to mention that it's too short, KyoAni already blown a very big budget for only 14 random episodes, and I don't think the fans will accept anything less if a sequel were to appear), just like how Naruto fans overblown their fandom out of proportion.

It's not the anime's fault, it's the fans.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 18:18   Link #328
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct
...and the fact that Haruhi fans tried hard to force others to worship the anime serves to be it's downfall at the same like (proven with their attempt for a Haruhi 10MILGET in 4chan, but got overtaken at the last moment. God knows what happens when these Haruhists got what they wanted. Not to mention that it's too short, KyoAni already blown a very big budget for only 14 random episodes, and I don't think the fans will accept anything less if a sequel were to appear), just like how Naruto fans overblown their fandom out of proportion.

Thank god someone else shares my opinion about the abundance of annoying Haruhi fans.
Old 2006-07-21, 00:47   Link #329
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Thank god someone else shares my opinion about the abundance of annoying Haruhi fans.
At it's peak, ALMOST EVERYONE was sporting Haruhi-themed sigs and avatars, but they all disappeared after the show ended.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 10:16   Link #330
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

On the topic of Kira often being mocked by specific group of anti-Kira fans who refer to him as the son of a particular god who died for our sins, I found it extremely ironic that

Spoiler for Xenosaga II end-game:

Coincidence? Most likely, but it's still very amusing indeed.
Old 2006-07-23, 11:25   Link #331
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
On the topic of coincidential GSD connections, I really have to point out the similarities between the final episodes of GunxSword and GSD:

Spoiler:

The thing that gets me is that two of these connections between GSD and GxS are about debate things that I doubt the staff of GxS knew about, like the "Amuro got pwn-ed by a rock" debate back a while ago on this forum. Maybe someone on the staff of GxS is a Newtype mind-reader? lol
Old 2006-07-23, 12:44   Link #332
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct

I liked Haruhi, and the fandom is pretty big... but it's a niche market. I mean the insert songs are in the top 10 in Oricon, but it's not as huge and mainstream as people think to think it is. Never underestimate the power of the fanboy. It's not going to make a poll in Animedia. It's just a different audience. Though even at its peak, it was never as popular as Gundam Seed Destiny was on the forums. Yes, that's true. There are ya know 500-800 people at times on Saturday morning waiting for the raws. That says something. Even if it was bitching, it was still insanely popular here.

The Haruhi thing reminds me of Shuffle. Remember everyone and their Shuffle sigs and icons? Haruhi is/was popular, but it's not THAT big.

Though I disagree about Naruto. That fandom is as huge as it says it is, probably bigger. The manga reaches in the top 30 in the US bookscan (for all books) That says something about how popular it is.

Re: Xenosaga II/Kira

I also hated Xenosaga II. I will blame Kira from now on.

I still say his poll numbers (and his gundam's) seem inflated, especially in Gundam Ace.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 18:52   Link #333
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha

Yeah, I didn't like Xenosaga II. What they did to my beloved Kos-Mos was unforgivable.

Well, I hope you love Xenosaga III, because its a very beautiful closing to the franchise. It brought tears to me eye when I finished it *sniff*

Oh, yes, Kira and chaos both have the same voice actor, except chaos in Xenosaga III is actually pretty powerless until end-game. KOS-MOS steals most of the show as she should (there is a big revelation behind her as expected, but I won't spoil it here). There is far more to chaos x KOS-MOS than what meets the eye...

- Tak (KOS-MOS > Whatever Gundam you throw at her)
Old 2006-07-23, 18:57   Link #334
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha

I still say his poll numbers (and his gundam's) seem inflated, especially in Gundam Ace.
God no, Kira doesn't need more shaft than he already has. It's not like chaos was vital in XII anyway, well except for leaving an abyss of plot-holes.

You know, people might had not bitched so much if Kira in GSD was like chaos in XII. chaos was supposed to be special, yet he was pretty much an ornament piece in XII, only appearing when needed and only at the VERY last moment decides to truly fight....Wait, people would still blame Kira for being a hypocrite. I suppose Kira can never be at peace.

I say they are ridiculuos. ( the polls, I mean. ) I had never seen such a poll with such a huge amount of inconsistency. One month, Freedom had slightly more than S.Freedom. The next, S.Freedom tops by a huge margin. Wtf? And the lower tier characters always looked they were randomly polled.
Old 2006-07-23, 18:59   Link #335
Tak

Well, cmon, XII is not about chaos. Its about JR. Ganan, the URTVs and Albedo. Even KOS-MOS took a backseat on this one.

And what a backseat it was, I can't believe Vector uglified her. If it wasn't for XIII, I would have charged into Namco HQ armed or not.

Well, polls aside. Kira's popularity can be attested on Gundam SEED's official webs.

- Tak
Old 2006-07-25, 09:14   Link #336
Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct

This should have appiled to GSD I didn't see the drop in votes for GSD characters,I think fukuda is behind this.If it was that case GSD characters rating would have dropped.
Old 2006-07-25, 09:46   Link #337
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
This should have appiled to GSD I didn't see the drop in votes for GSD characters,I think fukuda is behind this.If it was that case GSD characters rating would have dropped.
Actually, it's the contrary. Fans are trying too hard to force people into believing that GSD is shit, their characters are shit, Fukuda and Morosawa are shit and it works...on the internet, that is.

When you see most GSD related media minus games and several model kits sell well, that has to say something about it's popularity. Not to mention since the peak of SEED's fanbase are girls, I can see why model sales aren't too attractive.

You think Fukuda is behind what? I don't see Knight Ogre, Hokuto, Ginga, Dendoh, Asurada, Hayato, Henry Kyrtor, Karl or Leon in any of those polls.
Old 2006-07-25, 10:07   Link #338
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
When you see most GSD related media minus games and several model kits sell well, that has to say something about it's popularity. Not to mention since the peak of SEED's fanbase are girls, I can see why model sales aren't too attractive.
Very true. This is probably the first Gundam franchise where a significant fanbase are, well, women! I wouldn't say they constitute most of the fanbase, but their presence is well noted.

I don't think model kits are doing bad, considering new lines of MSV, ASTRAY and more recently, StarGazer kits continue to roll out. Of course, the Strike Freedom is still hot property (always going out of stock).

- Tak
Old 2006-07-25, 10:22   Link #339
Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Actually, it's the contrary. Fans are trying too hard to force people into believing that GSD is shit, their characters are shit, Fukuda and Morosawa are shit and it works...on the internet, that is.

You think Fukuda is behind what? I don't see Knight Ogre, Hokuto, Ginga, Dendoh, Asurada, Hayato, Henry Kyrtor, Karl or Leon in any of those polls.
I mean fukuda is secretly buying anime mags that have polls and spam in votes.I think fans won't vote blindly for GSD since everyone has a common sense.(unless the voter is a 4-10 years old kid or an GSD otaku.)
Old 2006-07-25, 10:59   Link #340
Tak

Quote:
I mean fukuda is secretly buying anime mags that have polls and spam in votes.I think fans won't vote blindly for GSD since everyone has a common sense.(unless the voter is a 4-10 years old kid or an GSD otaku.)
I think you are giving FATkuda way too much credit (I mean, if it was Tomino, maybe his senile rage might be of some influence)

Although he does deserve some credit for bringing the Gundam franchise to ... women. After all, since when was the last time a significant portion of Gundam fans were women?

- Tak (If I recall correctly, isn't this poll titled 'Gundam power rankings'?)

Last edited by Tak; 2006-07-25 at 11:32.