AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-07, 04:23   Link #1
dainichijess

FMA and Dr. Faustus?

I just saw the first episode of Full Metal Alchemist tonight, and a lot of the themes seem similar to that of Christopher Marlow's "The Tragedy of Doctor Faustus." The alchemy, the necromancy (necromancy is bringing the dead back to life. It's a similar branch of, although a sperate, science), and the references to the seven deadly sins as people. Anyone else agree?

(Sorry if I did this wrong...I'm new. )
Old 2004-11-07, 15:15   Link #2
gangsta905_04
AnimeSuki's #1 criminal

Send a message via MSN to gangsta905_04
err..wut???..*cough NICHOLAS FLAMEL cough*..
Old 2004-11-09, 07:35   Link #3
WristBandMan

is that a book?
Old 2004-11-17, 15:43   Link #4
Luna Inverse

Send a message via ICQ to Luna Inverse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WristBandMan
is that a book?
You seriously don't know it Although I haven't realy read it I still do more or less know the plot of Faustus(or Faust as he is called in polish). there are certain similarities, but I doubt the autors were much inspired by the dr, it is rather a coincidence....
Old 2004-11-28, 09:51   Link #5
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Inverse
You seriously don't know it Although I haven't realy read it I still do more or less know the plot of Faustus(or Faust as he is called in polish). there are certain similarities, but I doubt the autors were much inspired by the dr, it is rather a coincidence....
There's only one creator of FMA. And that's the manga artist.
Old 2004-12-06, 18:54   Link #6
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dainichijess
I just saw the first episode of Full Metal Alchemist tonight, and a lot of the themes seem similar to that of Christopher Marlow's "The Tragedy of Doctor Faustus." The alchemy, the necromancy (necromancy is bringing the dead back to life. It's a similar branch of, although a sperate, science), and the references to the seven deadly sins as people. Anyone else agree?

(Sorry if I did this wrong...I'm new. )
Never mind the people who don't know who Christopher Marlow is. (He's a playwrite, not too long before Shakespeare, if you're interested.) I haven't read that, but it sounds interesting. There's a chance that the mangaka has read the play before and thought to incorporate those themes in her original work. It's difficult not to incorporate themes that haven't been done before. It's a possibility but again, it may not be so that she was influence by that particular piece of work.

Akichan
Closed Thread