AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-03-12, 09:54   Link #101
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
I bought some of the bootlegged ones before, because I needed the raw video footage to do fandubs, and I wanted to take screencaps from each ep without the hassle of downloading each ep. ^_^ Yeah, the subtitles REALLY suck on them, but you can get the picture of what's going on. The best part about it is that most of the episodes are really nice quality. Although there are some really sucky ones, too. But all in all, it's better for people who are impatient and don't mind really poor subtitles.
Nyssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 10:09   Link #102
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

You're STILL buying bootlegs, which outweigh any good that could come from them.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 11:12   Link #103
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Impatience is not an excuse for video piracy and numerous
international copyright violations.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 11:24   Link #104
roudy000

I just hope evryone understand that I didint know when I bought those that they were pirated
Now I read all I can about anime on dvd and I will not make the mistake twice
roudy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 11:38   Link #105
kannakills

Since they are not licensed, there is no way you will be able to find legitimate copies with english subtitles. You can, however, download them from various groups. Happy hunting.

I suggest investing in some cdr's or dvd+r's and clearing up your hdd. Or maybe adding another one.
kannakills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 11:59   Link #106
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannakills
Since they are not licensed, there is no way you will be able to find legitimate copies with english subtitles. You can, however, download them from various groups. Happy hunting.

I suggest investing in some cdr's or dvd+r's and clearing up your hdd. Or maybe adding another one.
and DVD-R :P don't hate on the minus >:F
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 14:26   Link #107
Real Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
- "product" should be plural and should have a dash after it, not a comma.
- "Brand New" and "Factory Sealed" have no reason to be capitalized.
- I'm not even going to bother listing everything wrong with the third line, but suffice to say the punctuation and grammar are laughable.

Yup, what could possibly go wrong with such a professionally written guarantee? O_o

maybe they're asian for real!??

but seriously, couldnt they be selling the japanese version dvds when they do that??
Real Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 19:03   Link #108
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deadpool
maybe they're asian for real!??

but seriously, couldnt they be selling the japanese version dvds when they do that??

People usually don't sell region 2 DVDs on ebay. If they were, they wouldn't (usually) have subtitles, they'd ALWAYS be Region 2, and they would be way more expensive. I can tell you no one in their right mind would stock let alone sell One Piece for $4.20
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 13:59   Link #109
lgmcben

Quick question about Hongkong DVD.(My apology for being off topic T_T)

(I'm sorry for being a little off topic. T__T)
I heard that the quality of sub-title is unbearable. Can anyone confirm me on this?
Is it that bad? Any script example are welcome.

If the subs are not that bad, then I'm gonna get some series that are hard to find on IRC.

Thank you very much ^__^.
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:08   Link #110
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

The scripts are all bad.

You should not buy bootlegs, ever.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:15   Link #111
EclipseZeta
Solar Translator

HK subs are the worst subs ever. I don't own any HK DVD's, so I can't give you an exact script example, but I've seen enough to know they're bad.. Think of it this way: people that do the translation for HK DVD's speak Chinese as their primary langauge. Yet they're translating from Japanese to English. So not only are translations terrible, the overall grammar is also terrible. Even if they were translating from a Chinese translation, things are lost in translation. On top of that, because they pronounce most characters' names differently in Chinese, a lot of Hong Kong DVD's don't even use the original Japanese names of the characters.
EclipseZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:20   Link #112
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
Its variable really. I saw a Stellvia bootleg that had below vhs quality picture and shitty sound and the instractor told them to run around the apron meaning run laps around the hanger. I have seen some that approach the quality you would get from a decent fansub but those are a rarity.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:22   Link #113
lgmcben

What a quick replies. Thank you ^__^

Well... actually I'm having a problem finding Happy lesson advance on IRC. T___T

Thank you again !!! ^_^
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:51   Link #114
megazone23

actually depends.
the bootleg ones are beyond horrible (to a point that what's subbed isn't even what's said)
but non-bootleg ones are bearable. i wouldn't say that they're great, but they're not bad either
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:53   Link #115
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
*HK bootlegs suck
*ADV american releases suck too (sailor moon was released soo bad
*Geneon DVDs some might be good and some are bad
*to me fansubs are the most accurate well made translations
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 16:23   Link #116
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
HK DVDs are great if you get them for Chinese subtitles.

Avoid them if you're after English subtitles, though.
Old 2004-03-20, 18:16   Link #117
Ledgem
Love Yourself

My opinion was always that if you're going to actually spend money, spend it and support the right industry. I may be wrong when I say this, but the term "bootleg" seems to imply that none of the bootlegger's profits go to the original creators. I never really understood why people bought HK releases; if a friend of mine said he got the box set of Rurouni Kenshin off of eBay or what have you for 80% off the American price, I'd say I could get it for free. I'd be very surprised to hear that the picture quality of HK DVDs was very high, either, considering that they're not legit products.

It just doesn't make sense to me... you're spending money on something of poor quality and you're supporting the wrong industry? All this when you could either pay more and support the right industry, or just get something of comparable/better quality for free?
Old 2004-03-20, 18:55   Link #118
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmcben
Well... actually I'm having a problem finding Happy lesson advance on IRC. T___T
Happy Lesson Advance? You should be able to get it on BitTorrent right through AnimeSuki, if you're willing and able to go that route. Try this link...

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/198.html

I personally really prefer BitTorrent to IRC anyway. And, I've heard that the bootleg DVDs are generally quite aweful.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 19:31   Link #119
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

The legal licensed HK products can be quite good actually but they are only for the Chinese market (Chinese subtitles). They can be the most accurate as well.

People saying that translation to Chinese sucks obviously do not know Chinese. Translation of Japanese to English contains bad losses as well but funny how critiques of Japanese to Chinese never say this. English elitism?

Same goes for those who keep thinking fansubs > company subs.

The bootleg HK market however I would definitely advise anyone to stay away. They are really in it for the money without care and concern for quality (think of them as fansubbers who go for speed and cash). Even their Chinese translations are terrible, it looks like they got the most terrible of fansub group to do their work (or stole from them likely).

So to summarise, do not buy HK bootleg anime. But if you want good Chinese subs, you can look to buy legal licensed HK products (though the Taiwanese seems to be much more available).
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 20:50   Link #120
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

>The scripts are all bad.

Increasingly you can find boots that just steal the commercial R1 subs (and even the dub at times), so the above "all" quantifier isn't really true. There are sites that exist solely for reviewing boots to help you decide, although posting links to such here would be against the rules. ^^
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote