AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you use to watch anime?
Media Player Classic 29 58.00%
Zoom Player 18 36.00%
Core Media Player 4 8.00%
Windows Media Player 9 18.00%
VLC 5 10.00%
Quicktime 2 4.00%
RealPlayer 3 6.00%
iTunes 1 2.00%
Other (Please specify in post) 8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-19, 17:38   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
PS: Isn't Zoom Player 2 times in the poll? Or is zPlayer another different player?
To be honest, I'm not sure if he is referring to this zPlayer, this ZPlayer or this zplayer. They are all really weird choices. Or perhaps he did intend it as an abbreviation for Zoom Player as you suggest.

Any of those zplayers are clearly a weird addition to the poll. Since nobody has voted for it yet, I'll delete the choice to remove probable confusion. If anyone wants to vote for either of the other zplayers, they'll have to use "other" now.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:44   Link #22
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Of course one big reason that MPC and ZoomPlayer are so favored is because of their inclusion in CCCP. Otherwise more people would use flashier and better hyped, but less reliable players.
Just an addition to the above statement:

Media Player Classic comes with other codec packs too, and, at least for me, I have started using MPC much earlier than I've heard about CCCP (and my choice wasn't based on any codec pack, I just wanted to have an alternative player, as simple as media player, but have characteristics more advanced than media player).

(Now that I think about it, one of the reasons I've started using it is because of the need to use a media player - actually to watch any kind of divx or similar file - in a machine that doesn't allow me to install codec packs)

By the way, there is not a single mention of DivX player (or playa in earlier versions), I guess those days when it was one of the best has already passed.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:51   Link #23
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Just an addition to the above statement:

Media Player Classic comes with other codec packs too, and, at least for me, I have started using MPC much earlier than I've heard about CCCP (and my choice wasn't based on any codec pack, I just wanted to have an alternative player, as simple as media player, but have characteristics more advanced than media player).

(Now that I think about it, one of the reasons I've started using it is because of the need to use a media player - actually to watch any kind of divx or similar file - in a machine that doesn't allow me to install codec packs)
MPC was and still is a popular player apart from CCCP. Adding it to the pack probably came naturally.

You can't use MPC to watch divx on a PC where you can't install codecs though. It doesn't come with an internal MPEG4 decoder.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:55   Link #24
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
You can't use MPC to watch divx on a PC where you can't install codecs though. It doesn't come with an internal MPEG4 decoder.
I am not sure, but then for accuracy let's just say some video files that windows does not naturally support.
Old 2007-03-19, 18:13   Link #25
emptyeighty

Quote:
I am not sure, but then for accuracy let's just say some video files that windows does not naturally support.
I for one am quite sure, just look at Options -> Internal Filters, Transform Filters. Also that's a rather broad statement you want me to sign there :-)
Old 2007-03-19, 18:19   Link #26
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
It doesn't. For accuracy lets just say what it does. It has only two internal video decoders, for MPEG1 and MPEG2 (Windows naturally supports MPEG1). The other internal filters in MPC are splitters/parsers and some extra audio decoders. Otherwise the external video decoders you must install are used. It does not magically fix video for any files. One thing I will say, unlike other players with internal filters you can actually turn off the filters in MPC and it won't crash seven times out of the day when playing something other then AVI. Plus he did make DVD decoding free and simple.

BTW I do use MPC. Even though I stressed don't get involved with players with tons of internal filters . In Gabest we trust! Will you visit his tomb on May 11th?!

Last edited by Nicholi; 2007-03-19 at 20:14. Reason: wrong month, but apparently he is alive anyways :P
Old 2007-03-19, 18:32   Link #27
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
By the way, there is not a single mention of DivX player (or playa in earlier versions), I guess those days when it was one of the best has already passed.
It was never one of the best, it was popular despite that. Let's just say that the days when it was passable have already gone.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-19, 18:42   Link #28
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Hey NoSanninWa. Maybe I'm just krayzie and forgot how to count, but do the poll's percentages look like they don't add up :P? It all seems to be related to thinking there are only 20 voters, at the time of me writing this. Or is it doing something else magical I am not aware of. Maybe you didn't reset it completely before?
Old 2007-03-19, 18:54   Link #29
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

How does BS player not make this list?? NSW make it so!

BS player kicks everyone of these other players a$$ except MPC (which will open a small saucer and play a file if it had too), but BS has better skins and templets than MPC (and easier picture click), also it's own color control in addition to the divx or ffdshow controller....

I wouldn't use the horrible VLC player (aka Very Lame Controls) at bazooka point, Zoom Player sucks unless you are playing something super high quality that your comp can't handle (asthetically it's very weak IMO)...My grandpa is the only person I know that actually talks about WMP with his outside-voice...Core Media's equalizer gets on my nerves so I never use it, and anyone who still uses or religiously watches ANYTHING in Real or Quicktime format needs DBZ's Brolly to come to their houses and rip their t1 cables out of THE CITY and have them tossed into the sun...

Heh, so Yeah BS player first, MPC second, DivX third, and if you have too WMP....But how does BS not even make the list?? I remember when it was popular as hell...I love BS player with all it's simplistic user-friendly controls and skins...Not to mention it's now glitch free and it's the only player I've seen with a high and low timeline that doesn't obstruct the on-screen subs or kareoke when you bump the mouse by mistake...

P.S. Divx isn't great, but if you use the film effect codec (Yeah I'm the film-effect Nazi^^) it's the bomb for low quality fansubs (and yes 170 mbs is low quality)...
Old 2007-03-19, 19:02   Link #30
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
It was never one of the best, it was popular despite that. Let's just say that the days when it was passable have already gone.
Even when it first came out around 8 years ago?

I don't know how many of the current players were available at that time, but, for me, watching movies, it was the best player. If I remember correctly, the video quality and the playing quality was much better than WMP. And, maybe, that is why it became popular. If they had improved the audio settings and integrate more playing options to it, I guess it would have continued to be popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
BS player kicks everyone of these other players a$$ except MPC (which will open a small saucer and play a file if it had too),
Maybe, you already mentioned the reason. BS player was initially preferred because of its simplicity and it being an alternative player, but there is another alternative player (MPC) who went above it.
Old 2007-03-19, 19:08   Link #31
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Even when it first came out around 8 years ago?

I don't know how many of the current players were available at that time, but, for me, watching movies, it was the best player. If I remember correctly, the video quality and the playing quality was much better than WMP. And, maybe, that is why it became popular. If they had improved the audio settings and integrate more playing options to it, I guess it would have continued to be popular.
Yeah DivX used to be high class about 8 years ago (back when Morpheus was still popular as a great P2P comp-killer)...I watched many series on DivX back in the day...I finally gave in to the CCCP ColdWar and use DivX just for low sized files I wanna put the film-effect function on...Even the current Divx player is glitchy as hell sometimes for me especially when reading not so new data DVD's...

Quote:
Maybe, you already mentioned the reason. BS player was initially preferred because of its simplicity and it being an alternative player, but there is another alternative player (MPC) who went above it.
MPC is the $hit because it opens almost anything imaginable, but it doesn't look better, nor is it as user-friendly as BS Player...MPC doesn't have any asthetics or EASY COOL functions...But that said it will open the doorway to hell if you put it in the disc drive....
Old 2007-03-19, 19:19   Link #32
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Core Media's equalizer gets on my nerves
Whoa, one of the reasons I decided on TCMP over WMP (besides color control) was because of its simple and effective equalizer... I could never get the effect I wanted with WMP's crappy one :/

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-03-19, 19:31   Link #33
Sun-Ku

Well yeah the old divx times ^^
One time i came in contact with Bsplayer an was using that to watch my videos. When the dawn of the mkv Era came i switched finally to Zoomplayer
Today i watch 90 to 95% of my videos with Zoomplayer and the rest (primary mp4 files) with Media Player Classic.
And if both of this players cant play a video then VLC will play it sure. This little fellow surprises me every day but he is for emergency use.
Old 2007-03-19, 19:32   Link #34
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Whoa, one of the reasons I decided on TCMP over WMP (besides color control) was because of its simple and effective equalizer... I could never get the effect I wanted with WMP's crappy one :/
Well you are comparing it vs. WMP....In all honesty I can deal with WMP's equalizer..I usually set it on jazz when I use it...Overall it's feel and personality that enamores me and Core Player didn't do it for me...I remember being frustrated with those fat-a$$ equalizer control tabs...Being a person with undiagnosed OCD (Lmao) if a player gets on my nerves I toss it...

@Sun-ku - BS is glitch free now and I have no probs playing mkv or hardcore h264...Every so often I get one of those undescribable files that only MPC will play, but that's why I have MPC...VLC came thru for me once, but other than an x264 file or 2 (inwhich the subbers actually told the IRC channel to use) I never use it...Maybe if I have another emergency I might re-dl it...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2007-03-19 at 19:42.
Old 2007-03-19, 20:07   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Lots of players; none of them on Windows

1) Kaffeine (KDE front-end to the Xine media player)
2) Mplayer (though its KDE front-end Kplayer is definitely inferior to Kaffeine)
3) Xine
4) The DivX/Xvid player built into my Cowon A2
5) The DVD player with DivX/Xvid support connected to our TV
Old 2007-03-19, 21:55   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
How does BS player not make this list?? NSW make it so!
If I added BSPlayer I'd have to add mPlayer also. Perhaps after a week I'll strip the poll again and let everyone revote on a new poll whose choices are based on the results of this one.

So far it seems the biggest "Other" choices are BSPlayer and mPlayer... Meanwhile nobody has yet voted for iTunes or Quicktime. Heck, it might actually be fun stripping and recreating the poll every week or month, just to hone the results. Does anyone mind having to recast their votes in a week?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-03-19 at 22:09.
Old 2007-03-19, 22:29   Link #37
Devastator

Maybe one more time, but every week / month is kind of pushing it :P

I guess I'll wait around until I go back home to recast my vote, since I plan to convert my old box. I'll probably be amongst the list of people using MPlayer or Kaffeine then, given some experimentation time.
Old 2007-03-20, 01:28   Link #38
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
/me is another mplayer user. Works great everywhere I go.
Old 2007-03-20, 03:00   Link #39
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I use BSplayer. It gives people some problems, supposedly especially when used alongside CCCP, so I don't recommend it for everyone. As Nicholi mentioned, it is also a bit fussy about wanting to use its own internal filters. The options are relatively versatile, however; I chose not to go with CCCP, since I didn't mind playing with options in both BSPlayer and FFDShow to achieve optimal results for my systems, and it's worked better than other players for me (largely because it supports my Winamp DSP plugins. Search around for the Enhancer plugin, it is far superior to any equalizer).

Unfortunately, BSPlayer now requires that you install some crapware along with it. Norton (corporate edition) detected it for what it was and wouldn't allow the adware component to install. I don't know that I'd recommend the player to users these days.
Old 2007-03-20, 03:20   Link #40
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Hey NoSanninWa. Maybe I'm just krayzie and forgot how to count, but do the poll's percentages look like they don't add up :P? It all seems to be related to thinking there are only 20 voters, at the time of me writing this. Or is it doing something else magical I am not aware of. Maybe you didn't reset it completely before?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but maybe the answer is because the poll lets a person choose more than one option?
Quote:
Meanwhile nobody has yet voted for iTunes or Quicktime.
I'll use them if you can point me to an English fansub that's only available in a QuickTime format. It's not like my QuickTime Player is doing anything right now, at least iTunes is playing some of my music files.