AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-12-03, 18:49   Link #61
Joyce_Steele
Banned

@relentlessflame: Thanks for reminding that as I never read its LN before.
Spoiler for OreImo s2 Ending:

By the way I don't think Tamako Market need to be mentioned here even it is indeed disappointing. I mean even before it was shown everybody on the internet already expecting it to be bad. From what I can hear in countless of blogs and forums and everyone seems to say "Meh, just another moe crap from KyoAni" and most of those people are also KyoAni fans as well.

Yeah Kyoukai no Kanata was a disappointment and there's no doubt about it but just like Tamako Market I also not going to vote for it as I can see it being a disappointment from far away. Honestly I think Free! is bigger stinker than TM and KnK was and its hype is many times bigger as it was aimed towards completely different audiences than aforementioned shows. Ironically it turned out to be a garbage, even if I were huge fan of bishies. While I already expecting it to be a mindless bishounen fanservice show but that is much, much worse. It's an unwatchable crap with unbearable characters, even for a bishounen fanservice show. The first and last episode were awesome but unfortunately the rest are just needless fillers or at least the way I saw them as. Tamako Market sequel is already announced and I may give it a try but for Free! sequel, if there's any just count me out.

I have to agree this year is a bad year for KyoAni despite having three completely different shows shown at the same year. That studio loses its magic long time ago and the last good moe show is Nichijou and the last good non-moe show is Hyouka. I just hope they are going better to do job in 2014.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-12-05 at 05:28.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 20:46   Link #62
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

In general I'm not a fan of these kinds of threads because there are very few shows I watch that I actually dislike. But this year there was one, and that was Ore no Imouto season 2. The final arc was frustrating to sit through for reasons that have nothing to do with my girl losing, and Ayase's episode was much the same way - they really ruined her character over the course of the franchise.

Sure, I dropped Da Capo III because I found the first two episodes as bland as the first episode of DCII. I wish Coppellion had more hard sci-fi and enemies who know how to use this thing on a gun called a sight. I had higher hopes for Tamako Market given the staff's previous work on K-On's second season (I haven't been disappointed with Kanata no Kyoukai). Photo Kano took the creepy aspects of Amagami I didn't like and cranked them to 11. I don't like how Infinite Stratos 2 is even more determined than your average harem show to ignore the previous progress made between the protagonist and any given girls (especially Charlotte). HenNeko's plot twists felt a bit lame even for a harem. And Kotoura-san and Gargantia didn't even come close to living up to their great starts. But I actually enjoyed watching all of them, even really liked some of them. I can't say the same about Ore no Imouto S2.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 23:04   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While I do get 0utf0xZer0's point, I still want to say that I like this wording - "Most Disappointing" and "Most Surprising Good". I think they're preferable to "Overrated" and "Underrated".

"Most disappointing" and "Most surprising good" drops all pretext of objectivity. This is because disappointment and surprise are very personal and subjective things, of course.
Old 2013-12-04, 05:13   Link #64
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I do get 0utf0xZer0's point, I still want to say that I like this wording - "Most Disappointing" and "Most Surprising Good". I think they're preferable to "Overrated" and "Underrated".

"Most disappointing" and "Most surprising good" drops all pretext of objectivity. This is because disappointment and surprise are very personal and subjective things, of course.
I agree. It can avoid a lot of the pitfalls that come with talking about a show you dislike by giving the posters an easy way to frame exactly why the show let them down. It's still a volatile discussion topic to be sure, but it seems to have worked out pretty well so far.
Old 2013-12-04, 06:48   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

There's still room for me, right? Ok, here goes:

Maoyuu: Maou Yuusha
In my eyes, this is a pretty bad adaptation. The source is excellent and has tons of potential to be a great anime. It’s too bad that the studio seemed to not know how to bring this story into anime form. They seem to insist that this story must be executed like Spice and Wolf with more realism and less magic & otherworldly stuffs which brings the anime down even more. There’s also all the "skipping and rush-job"-nature which messed up the pace. Sometimes, thing happens too fast and too sudden that even the source readers can barely keep up, let alone the newcomers. All in all, the problem is in the execution. In many occasions, the anime makes the dialogues drier than a desert and makes the situation more boring than watching paint dry while accompanied by often-flat-and-uninspired music score. That combination alone is able to send the audience into the dream-world before the episode ends.

Many detractors of Maoyuu anime said the cause of it sucking is due to the silly premise. I don’t agree. If a similar concept of a Demon-lord & a Hero working together in a more absurd setting like Hataraku Maou-sama can be deftly executed, there’s no reason Maoyuu can’t be made better.

Photo Kano
Since I’m not that well-versed in the world of visual novels, I came expecting the next Amagami SS, only to be disappointed by the lackluster character development and cheesy (if not lame) romantic development and events.

High School DxD & Infinite Stratos (both 2nd seasons)
I don’t ask much from this series. I just want a little bit more plot & character development than the previous season. Alas, my hope got shattered by the (stupid) fanservice overload.

Coppelion
I came to this series expecting a hard sci-fi story ala Akira, but I got eye-rolling drama and WTF-logic instead.

Oreimo season 2
Like others have said, the true-ending sucks. That’s all I have to say.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova
Only coz they decide to use the stiff cel-shading animation for the characters. Now I kinda understand how Aku no Hana’s fans feel when they rotoscoped the characters. Fortunately, the characters in Ars Nova don’t look ugly at all and the other CG animation outside of the cel-shaded characters look stunning. The battles are epic for what they can do given all the limitations. Also, even if the story only scratches the surface of what's really going on in the manga, it's still well-made and has its own style. So, disappointing from a source-reader's POV, but still highly enjoyable .

I didn't mention anything from KyoAni coz, unlike many other people, I don't have that high of an expectation of their works. They're neither Ghibli nor Pixar. So, I was actually highly entertained by their outings this year (haven't seen Free! though. I dislike excessive manservice. That's just not my thing).
Old 2013-12-04, 15:44   Link #66
GDB

4. Ore no Imouto
Was hoping they'd go against the novel ending. Alas, they did not.

3. Severing Crime Edge
Just sort of ends. It definitely seemed like they had planned on doing a season 2 (even showing scenes that would have appeared in the credits of the final episode), but it had such low sales the idea got canned. As such, the series just felt empty.

2. Day Break Illusion
Had all the makings for an intense story, but ended up faltering to a "friendship conquers all" BS ending.

1. Suisei no Gargantia
Guh, where do I begin? The slow pacing, the lack of tension, or how every episode that Urobuchi did not personally write was awful?

Did not include series that I only tried one episode of before dropping, series that I liked the previous seasons of but didn't bother with current seasons due to knowing how bad they'd be (Hayate), or series that I had on my "watch backlog" but haven't watched yet due to horrible reviews (that Beyond the Boundary series).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 16:07   Link #67
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I agree. Saying something is overrated or underrated is generally quite pretentious, I've come to realize. If I say something is overrated, it's like saying "This show is alright/bad, but people are stupid and are rating it too highly", or vice versa.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 22:09   Link #68
Fuyuno
Banned

So Kameruka made an update there and Kyoukai no Kanata is leading, I already saw that in my visions. I just can't argue with that.

Wait, there's no Log Horizon on that list! I'm surprised that I'm the first one to vote for it considering how popular that show in its subforum. I didn't mentioned it in my first post in this thread because I already expected it to be a c**p but unfortunately for me it is. I dropped it after second episode, two episodes less than Coppelion. Okay I'm not going to make enemies just because of this show but it just my personal experience.

While I do agree Tamako Market is bad but I'm not going to vote for it. Well you know it's KyoAni that we are talking about. The anime itself was shown in January and I don't think most people remember it after more than 11 months if not a season(3 months).
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 12:30   Link #69
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Hmmm.. I'll vote for:

1. Coppellion
2. Devil Survivor 2
3. Valvrave
4. Majestic Prince
5. Free!

Reasons similar to what has already been said.
Old 2013-12-05, 14:14   Link #70
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Does R;N count? Because honestly after S;G I was all over it but... it all collapsed horrendously. Maybe the VN isn't that disastrous, but the anime is by all standards bad.

However, it is 2012 if I'm not mistaken. If it counts, count R;N as my top choice.

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 16:54   Link #71
Birdway
Banned

The most dissapointings show so far?

1. Kyoukai no Kanata this is what happens when Kyoani tries hard to attract new or wider audience without getting out of their safe zone . I hope it tanks hard on its sales if that helps them to notice they're doing it wrong.

2. Oreimo 2 any sane person could adress why.

3. Amnesia, more or less good characters, interesting premise but horrible execution. The anime staff were so darn scared of getting to adapt the damn true end that they made it feel like a generic harem show. Truy dissapointing.

4. Galilei Dona. Where it came from? What is its goal? I don't know and I seriously don't care. Veryd dull premise and Sashi is the worst character of the series and just the thought of her being there is enough to make me not watch any more episodes. What a waste of potential. Maybe I'm a descendant of Elvis?

5. Coppelion... After episode 2 I still can't understand or remember what the show was about, seriously.

6. Robotics:Notes, Reckoner said what I had in mind.

7. Day Break Illusion

8. Devil Survivor. Why? WHY!?

They turned HIM:
Images
Large Image
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Into this...:
Images
Screenshot
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Free! was about fanservice towards a female audience and it delivered what it promised. Since I didn't expect anything grand I can't say I'm dissapointed. This was the most honest Kyoani show about its contents.

Maoyuu, I knew it was about long talks and interactions so no, I wasn't dissapointed since its truly hard to adapt those things into anime form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
4. Any crappy reverse harem shows like Diabolik Lovers, Utau no Prince-sama and Brothers Conflict should be mentioned in this thread as well. You can blame for hating these shows because I'm a man, which is obviously not the target audience to begin with but my wife, who is a big fan of shoujo shows find them shitty as well. I don't want to mention them in this thread but for my wife's sake, I had to.
You can't just put Uta Pri in the same bag with DL and BC, that is just plain wrong. And I'm a guy who watched 2 of those 3 and dropped BC on the second episode. You're being biased even for a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Only two anime I'm disappointed with this year.

Devil Survivor 2
Very disappointed with the result. It had good potential to pretty awesome but the pace was too quick for its own sake with the characters barely developed. Worst of all before introducing them properly, they get killed off very suddenly. It was entertaining in the beginning and very quickly, the quality began dropping consistently.
I would like to add on your post that the studio utterly killed the cool character known as Hibiki from the games to the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
@relentlessflame: Thanks for reminding that as I never read its LN before.
Spoiler for OreImo s2 Ending:

I think the author of that series lacks writing skills and only is popular by the contents of its series(aka fetishes, also the characters designs), nothing else, the way how he used characters like Ruri and Ayase just for fanservice sake and make the series the longer is the best proof. And the guy knows nothing about romance, even some average harem show can do it better (Natsuru from Kampfer was a romantic guy, it just happened he liked the wrong girl . Shizuku best girl btw.).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-12-06 at 01:27. Reason: Please don't post such large images inline
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 01:30   Link #72
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
I think the author of that series lacks writing skills and only is popular by the contents of its series(aka fetishes, also the characters designs), nothing else, the way how he used characters like Ruri and Ayase just for fanservice sake and make the series the longer is the best proof. And the guy knows nothing about romance, even some average harem show can do it better (Natsuru from Kampfer was a romantic guy, it just happened he liked the wrong girl . Shizuku best girl btw.).
This isn't a thread where you should flame shows or writers for whatever you perceive a show's problems to be. Expressing disappoint and the reasons you were disappointed is enough, otherwise it'll just result in off-topic back-and-forth arguments which are not the point of this thread. If you wish to discuss a certain show, please go to the thread or sub-forum in question. This was already explained in the first post of this thread.
Old 2013-12-06, 03:12   Link #73
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Does R;N count? Because honestly after S;G I was all over it but... it all collapsed horrendously. Maybe the VN isn't that disastrous, but the anime is by all standards bad.

However, it is 2012 if I'm not mistaken. If it counts, count R;N as my top choice.
Robotic is so far at the level of Steins... it's so really about robots... and it's boring... a lot of things are still left unanswered.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 03:15   Link #74
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post

I believe it ended this year, which is why I picked it as well. It didn't even have to follow up Steins;Gate THAT well, but it didn't even end up being a good series. 5pb likes their conspiracy stories but it just didn't fit that well in the end in this case.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 03:22   Link #75
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I think the problem with R;N is that by episode 10 my head was exploding with possible outcomes to the whole series.

Spoiler for Robotic;Notes with comparison to Steins;Gate:

Cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-12-06 at 06:24. Reason: Added spoiler tags for more detailed discussion of show's plot
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 06:26   Link #76
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Again, I would encourage people to take specific/detailed discussions about a show's flaws to a show's thread so we don't get too derailed here or get too much into spoiler territory for people who haven't yet watched the show (if they still want to watch it given your disappointment). I would also ask that, if you are going to get into plot details, please use properly-labelled spoiler tags. It's good to discuss the reasons for your disappointment, but please try not to get too much into specific plot points.
Old 2013-12-06, 09:25   Link #77
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Note: Since my off-day is Friday so I can only update this thread in Fridays of this month except December 1st, 25th and 31st which are Sunday, Wednesday and Tuesday respectively. It looks like some people are discussing some spoilers and I forgot to mention "no spoilers allowed" in my first post. Just like what relentlessflame said, please do not discuss about spoilers here. I hate to repeat the same thing but Autumn 2012 releases like Psycho-Pass and Robotic;Notes are disqualified and in fact both has been nominated last year's edition. Another thing I want to remind all people here please be civil and not getting to sarcastic.

December 6th update:

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary: 20 votes

Ore no Imouto S2: 13 votes

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 12 votes

Coppelion: 10 votes

6 votes:

Free!
Photo Kano
Devil Survivor 2

5 Votes:

Kimi no Iru Machi
Suisei no Gargantia

4 Votes:

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Attack on Titan

3 Votes:

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Red Data Girl
Yuyushiki
Amnesia
Infinite Stratos 2
Galilei Donna
Brothers Conflict
Valvrave the Liberator
High School dxd New

2 Votes:

DanganRonpa
Gin no Saji
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen
Da Capo 3
Diabolik Lovers
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Freezing Vibration
Tamako Market
Day Beak Illusion
Majestic Prince
Utau no Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%

1 Vote:

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Wanna Be The Strongest in the World
Gatchaman Crowds
Golden Time
Yuushibu
Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
Rozen Maiden
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Severing Crime Edge
Log Horizon
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova

I was surprised to see how Coppelion votes inflated from 5 to 10 in few days. Nothing can be said for Kyoukai no Kanata and Ore no Imouto S2 considering both already got high votes. Since I never saw Maoyuu Maou Yuusha before so nothing can be said to it too. By the way thanks for the moderators to help this thread clean.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 08:30   Link #78
Lyocol
Banned

Glad to see Coppelion got 10 votes. I believe I'm the one who brought its name in this thread or otherwise everyone could have forgotten it. While obviously not the worst anime ever shown in this year but it definitely one of the most disappointing, considering it was created by the same studio, director and script writers of K. It also one of the worst flop in this year as it is one of the high-profiled shows of the season along with Kyoukai no Kanata, which is completely different can of worms altogether.

Coppelion is on of the good of example of studio and director wants to appeal completely different audiences and failed. I'm not being sarcastic but I think they should make another bishounen fanservice show like K instead in the future to clean the mess what Coppelion brought to them.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 10:43   Link #79
cyth
Banned

2. Suisei no Gargantia - Great story all the way, then the ending ruins it all.

1. Kyoukai no Kanata - Mostly because the first episode was such light-novel cliché.

Now we need another such thread, with "biggest pleasant surprise" titles.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 10:51   Link #80
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Now we need another such thread, with "biggest pleasant surprise" titles.
We already have one