AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days - Episode 12 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 231 49.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 12.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 1.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 11 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.08%
1 out of 10 : Painful 62 13.39%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-27, 12:28   Link #81
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I seriously did not see the need for as gruesome deaths as were portrayed. Sekai stabbing Makoto fine i can live with that because we have seen it many times before its not that much of shocker. But what transpired afterwards was not needed, and only put the nail in the coffin for a mediocre show to begin with and made it even more tasteless.
Yes you're right!
This show was so bloody... brrrrr... how can such a blaspheme thing be a romance? Or, best, even an anime?!?
Let's just go watching this:

So we will all be happy!
Old 2007-09-27, 12:29   Link #82
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
WTF how can people call this the best romance ever I will argue that fact till the end of time. If best means a repetitive story about someone sleeping with lots of people being indecisive and a coward that leads to death then i screw the genre. It takes more talent to create a show where the main character is hated and screws up a lot then manges to redeem him self then to just kill him off. Hell you can randomly kill characters in any story its freakin easy. I respect other peoples opinion but i feel majority of viewers have at least some standards but maybe i am putting too much faith in my fellow man.
Sorry, but School Days was famous for the bloody way the game ended if you messed up. This is an anime adaptation, which means it needs to follow its source material. Makoto's choices in the anime were those of a man without a conscience, thus he reaped what he sow. That's what makes School Days, School Days. It isn't an inspirational story about redemption, and was never meant to be.

And I am sorry if you were miss-lead at any stage into believing that a happy ending was forthcoming. Though I find that rather miraculous since it is pretty hard to miss all the signs and spoilers from the fans of the game.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:34   Link #83
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
how long has sekai been pregnant anyway, and can someone as wrecked as kotonoha really check and confirm whether there are a baby inside (considering it is still on the early phase) where there a still no sign of "human" shape of the baby.
This is when Japan needs Lieutenant Horatio Caine and the Miami CSI staff!

j/k
Old 2007-09-27, 12:36   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Sorry, but School Days was famous for the bloody way the game ended if you messed up. This is an anime adaptation, which means it needs to follow its source material.
Despite the fact the game could lead to this bad ends, the game was much more filled in "good ends" and "side ends" instead.
The anime adaptation could get a "conclusive end" without any dead, even if Makoto screwed so much. Even if the probability of bad end is high, it is still inferior compared to the rest
Quote:
Makoto's choices in the anime were those of a man without a conscience, thus he reaped what he sow. That's what makes School Days, School Days. It isn't an inspirational story about redemption, and was never meant to be.
The problem is more likely what happened in the sideway.
What Makoto did wasn't exactly the issue, but more likely the exaggeration with the characters, especially in episode 11
Quote:
And I am sorry if you were miss-lead at any stage into believing that a happy ending was forthcoming. Though I find that rather miraculous since it is pretty hard to miss all the signs and spoilers from the fans of the game.
The problem is the anime raises many BAD and GOOD ends flags. it was ridiculous, and it became clear only with episode 11.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:37   Link #85
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Sekai continues to be my favorite. She just made mistakes. No-one deserves to die, but Makoto was a total pr**k: weak, selfish, stupid, and cruel. Kotonoha unfortunately went mad about halfway through the series. It took Sekai until the end. The other girls were just shounen wish-fulfilment. Not that the whole show wasn't. And I believe Sekai was probably pregnant. At a month, there is just about no way Katsura could tell. In any case, she certainly believed she was pregnant. This is a show with a black soul and a nasty little heart. I loathed it -- but it worked, and I watched it to the end, lol. It's disturbing and dangerous that violence and nastiness are so fascinating.

It definitely has nothing whatsoever to do with shoujo. Shounen romance with violence and ugliness. Shoujo romance is usually better than this, with better characterization and truer romance. The wish-fulfilment there is for girls rather than guys.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-09-27 at 12:49.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:44   Link #86
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Despite the fact the game could lead to this bad ends, the game was much more filled in "good ends" and "side ends" instead.
The anime adaptation could get a "conclusive end" without any dead, even if Makoto screwed so much. Even if the probability of bad end is high, it is still inferior compared to the rest
Yes right... the good is better than the bad!
As I say let's all see pokemon so we'll be happy for sure!
Old 2007-09-27, 12:49   Link #87
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Yes right... the good is better than the bad!
As I say let's all see pokemon so we'll be happy for sure!
Did you actually understand what i meant?
I wasn't expecting a "happy go lucky" end, as almost no School Days game endings are like that. Most of them are a bit twisted, bitter etc. None are "everyone is happy".

"Good" because it is conclusive, and didn't resolve around graphic violence to be solved. And no, that doesn't mean makoto is forgiven, though his actions are much less "unforgivable" than his anime counterpart.

quit with trolling please.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:50   Link #88
Sekai
Nekomimi ~

Send a message via MSN to Sekai
At first, I wanted Makoto to die. But then I felt bad for him; he didn't have to really die. I know, I know, he was a jerk and everything. But I still feel a bit sorry for him.

Anyways, Kotonoha's alive, so yay. I'm glad Sekai died though. She was my favourite at the start of the series, but she was such a ***** later.

(By the way, sorry for my poor english, I'm hungarian ^^")
Old 2007-09-27, 12:52   Link #89
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Sekai continues to be my favorite. She just made mistakes. No-one deserves to die, but Makoto was a total pr**k: weak, selfish, and cruel. Kotonoha unfortunately went mad about halfway through the series. It took Sekai until the end. The other girls were just shounen wish-fulfilment. Not that the whole show wasn't. And I believe Sekai was probably pregnant. At a month, there is just about no way Katsura could tell. In any case, she certainly believed she was pregnant. This is a show with a black soul and a nasty little heart. I loathed it -- but it worked, and I watched it to the end, lol.

It definitely has nothing whatsoever to do with shoujo. Shounen romance with violence and ugliness. Shoujo romance is usually better than this, with better characterization and truer romance. The wish-fulfilment there is for girls rather than guys.
Oh, I believe shoujo material could be just as ugly and messy. My understanding from fangirls I talk to, is that physical violence is less frequent in shoujo but people could just as frequently be destroyed. Instead of being physically killed however, they are more likely to be broken physcologically.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:54   Link #90
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
From the various internet blogs, about Sekai...
Spoiler for final episode:

All in all, this is a tragic ending, but as it should be; Characters in the show brought this upon themselves.
Really? i swear she said "so you wasnt lying" but the second line then seems to read "i dont see anyone" *shiver*

but really i dont believe that sekai had to lie in this case, as much as i like to diss her it was evident that she was pregnant from being sick and her non existant periods at the time.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-27, 12:56   Link #91
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Sorry, but School Days was famous for the bloody way the game ended if you messed up. This is an anime adaptation, which means it needs to follow its source material. Makoto's choices in the anime were those of a man without a conscience, thus he reaped what he sow. That's what makes School Days, School Days. It isn't an inspirational story about redemption, and was never meant to be.

Klashikari pretty much said my reply but yes i know all about the game. Yes anime needs source material but the game as mentioned had lots of happy endings. Its very obvious how it was going to end. I didnt like Makoto did I think he deserved to die no. I just how they carried out the final aspect of a show that had great potential im not saying a hunky dory happy ending. But come on this crap was just thrown together for pure shock and blood at least put some thought into it.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:58   Link #92
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I think an ending where Makoto was left alone would've been just as conclusive. No one needed to die, though it's not bad that Makoto died, either - it was one of the two good choices they could've gone for in order to be consistent with the story; bittersweet ending for Makoto, or his death.

I still don't like Sekai's death though, I feel it was out of place. And I'm also a bit gutted mr. rapist got away scot free, but that's more a personal thing than anything.
Old 2007-09-27, 13:07   Link #93
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is the anime raises many BAD and GOOD ends flags. it was ridiculous, and it became clear only with episode 11.
Where were the good ones? The death flags were nonstop, starting from the lemonade quote.

Quote:
"Good" because it is conclusive, and didn't resolve around graphic violence to be solved.
I don't see how this wasn't conclusive, graphic violence or not.

Also, about the reliance on graphic violence... This is anime, after all. If there is graphic violence to show, then why not show it? Artsy actings should be left to plays and other shows that took an entirely superartistic approaches throughout. In an anime filled with hyperbolic scenarios such SD, the final scenes seemed perfectly fitting.
Old 2007-09-27, 13:10   Link #94
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Really? i swear she said "so you wasnt lying" but the second line then seems to read "i dont see anyone" *shiver*

but really i dont believe that sekai had to lie in this case, as much as i like to diss her it was evident that she was pregnant from being sick and her non existant periods at the time.
If people want to discuss physiology, I can go all night.
I have a tonne of medical textbooks behind me, and Google for everything else.

Assuming she wasn't completely lying, Sekai likely had Pseudocyesis, or "False Pregnancy". This is a psychological condition which could be brought about by anxiety and/or a strong desire to be pregnant. Nearly every symptom of pregnancy could be falsified this way. She wanted to be pregnant so much that her body believed her, and release the hormones accordingly.

But as I said, I believe she really wasn't pregnant purely because the story's ending is more dramatic this way. This is a story, so story-telling should be the priority. And what's the point of "It's a lie" otherwise? Every line should have meaning.

EDIT:
And just going slightly off-track, I believe given the choice between being attacked by a girl with a knife or facing the wraith of a dangerous woman in a shoujo manga, I would chose to face the girl with the knife. At least against the knife, I know what I would need to do to defend myself. On the other hand, fangirls seem to be well-versed in the arts of social-politics due to training from society, and thus might make the opposite choice. Just my two cents.
Old 2007-09-27, 13:11   Link #95
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
I still don't like Sekai's death though, I feel it was out of place.
yea that was something that threw me off, just goes to show what a women in love can do

tragic really for kotonoha, she was a fine model citizen who happened to meet the worst piece of junk known to mankind...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2007-09-27, 13:15   Link #96
Shana

Pa pa pa~

This episode was JUST. AS. PLANED

Old 2007-09-27, 13:15   Link #97
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
Where were the good ones? The death flags were nonstop, starting from the lemonade quote.
"death" flag, i meant those leading to such bad end, turning either girl crazy enough to do a murder.
The only true DEATH flag were probably the affair with Otome, the bonfire, Kotonoha being abused by Taisuke, and Kotonoha soulless appearance.
Even that, it could end without any death, but not necesseraly happily.
The definite death flag was the horrible pack in episode 11.

and no, even with the camera incident, it could end well.
Quote:
I don't see how this wasn't conclusive, graphic violence or not.

Also, about the reliance on graphic violence... This is anime, after all. If there is graphic violence to show, then why not show it? Artsy actings should be left to plays and other shows that took an entirely superartistic approaches throughout. In an anime filled with hyperbolic scenarios such SD, the final scenes seemed perfectly fitting.
The problem isn't the fact it was violent or not. the problem was the execution and the aftermath.
The plot didn't resolve the issue, as instead of giving up/turning the page, or win makoto's "heart" for good, it resulted into the suppression of the issue itself.
The fact Makoto was killed didn't resolve the issues, and as seen with kotonoha, she is still in that state etc.

Quote:
Assuming she wasn't completelylying, Sekai likely had Pseudocyesis, or "False Pregnancy". This is a psychological condition which could be brought about by anxiety and/or a strong desire to be pregnant. Nearly every symptom of pregnancy could be falsified this way. She wanted to be pregnant so much that her body believed her, and release the hormones accordingly.
The thing is that her "pregnancy" popped on her, without her realizing or wishing for it. She got "deredere" only some time after this. But her first reaction wasn't exactly positive. It might be unconscious, but well...
Quote:
But as I said, I believe she really wasn't pregnant purely because the story's ending is more dramatic this way. This is a story, so story-telling should be the priority. And what's the point of "It's a lie" otherwise? Every line should have meaning.
The thing is that you can't exactly buy anything a character claim, especially how kotonoha was.
She was even saying "there isn't anyone inside". Even though Kotonoha isn't idiot, it shouldn't be that "easy", especially in earlier stage of pregnancy to notice the foetus, while butchering the abdomen...
Old 2007-09-27, 13:17   Link #98
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Assuming she wasn't completely lying, Sekai likely had Pseudocyesis, or "False Pregnancy". This is a psychological condition which could be brought about by anxiety and/or a strong desire to be pregnant. Nearly every symptom of pregnancy could be falsified this way. She wanted to be pregnant so much that her body believed her, and release the hormones accordingly.

you mean wikipedia?

i see what you are saying and it does indeed make the story more dramatic - zomg wtf killings for a lie! but to give sekai more points i would chose the other option (surprisingly seen as i am a kotonoha fanboy) -

but wow never knew that there was such an illness - you learn something new everyday :3

in this then the whole ending was triggered by a series of unfortunate events. If it is an illness then i cant fault sekai for saying that she is pregnant because she wouldnt know herself unless she did a test - i cant classify this as a lie if she "felt" that she was pregnant as well as all the signs pointing towards that fact as she had no clue it was a lie in the first place.

either way it would have ended the same though it would have been a dam shame if it was all for nothing (ie she wasnt really pregnant )

Old 2007-09-27, 13:17   Link #99
Chewy

Well, I hope everyone now knows how absolutely psycho Kotonoha can get. I love you Kotonoha.

Does the last scene remind anyone of Cast Away ? WILLLSON !
Old 2007-09-27, 13:18   Link #100
Rembr

Quote:

I took "There is no one inside." as an expression of the degree of Kotonoha's psychopathic transformation. In her mental state, she probably expected a recognizable human baby inside Sekai, but her pregnancy was still too early to find such a thing.

False pregnancy could be a case. I don't think she was consciously lying about it the entire time, seeing as there were multiple scenes where she subconsciously rubbed her abdomen when no one was even looking.
Closed Thread