Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-05, 18:26   Link #1
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
Arrow Need Expert Help

Okay...Well I've watched a good bit of anime...and wondered if there are any other anime not on my list, that I haven't seen yet that are good enough, to where you would refer a friend to watch.
Some I have on my list, and I said it's not "good" from the first episode I've seen...pelase tell me if I'm wrong, I'm open to all types of anime, and I only get turned off if it's really, really, really old.
Manga
Spoiler for Mangas:

2009 List
Spoiler for 2009 List:

Weekly Watching 2008
Spoiler for Stuffs:

Drama
Spoiler for Dramas:

Currently Watching (Dropped/Stopped Subs)
Spoiler for Try To Convince Me!:

Completed Anime
Spoiler for Done Stuff (LONG):

Reserves AKA Last Resort(Not Good Reviews/No Interest)
Spoiler for Convince Me!:

Please and Thank You!
Old 2009-11-05, 18:51   Link #2
jedinat

From your "last resort" list I would definitely watch Haibane Renmei, Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu, Kare Kano, Kino's Journey, Kurau Phantom Memory, and Mushishi. They are all well worth watching. The first couple seasons of Ranma 1/2 are great as well, but I can understand if you can't get past the age of the anime...
Old 2009-11-05, 19:15   Link #3
Niji

Some that I did not find on your lists (maybe I am blind )

Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi - first epis (maybe 3 or so) are a bit odd or slow, picks up speed though. Alot of political and magical stuff.
Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - some horror, anti-hero a bit, but cool chars
Binbou shimai monogatari - just cute, heartwarming
The Third - speaking tank (in case the speaking bike was a turn off with Kino no Tabi), somewhat magic, female lead
Mononoke - Sequel of the last ark of Ayakashi the classic (not tenpou), if you liked that, this one is a must
Otogizoushi - has 2 arcs set in 2 times, first one is heian period, later one is modern tokyo. They are quite thrilling.
Three Kingdoms - first epis are slow, it picks up speed though, pseudo-historical
Eureka 7 - mecha
Tsukikage Ran - female samurai lead, cute second lead (chinese fighting technique), quite funny, 2000, dunno if that is already to old for you
Kemonozume - pretty gory, kinda a romeo and julia story, the woman belongs to the family who turn into monsters under certain conditions
Kaiji - gambling, very dramatic background though.
Hakkenden - magical, fighting, thrilling. Downside: some epis have such bad graphics, one can only shudder. Not many though.
Noir - a thriller. 2 female leads. I found it extremely thrilling, loved the colors and graphics in general.
Yugo the negotiator - on my list to see soon might interest you too, when I read your lists

About the convince me list:
Kinda hard to convince you when I dont know what turned you off with a series. I definitely would suggest Basilisk, Kino no Tabi, Mushishi and more to a friend. Kino and Mushishi are very episodic, that might be a turn off. Basilisk though is one of the best ninja shows I ever saw (if one gets past the silly puppy eyes )

Last edited by Niji; 2009-11-05 at 19:39.
Old 2009-11-05, 19:40   Link #4
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Dropping Kino no Tabi/Monster/Mushishi/Baccano/etc is definitely not wise. If you still find no interest in them, pick up some plotwreck shounen or something.
Old 2009-11-05, 20:20   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I don't see Cross Game on your list.

Also, if your problem with Ranma 1/2 is all the filler (which is the problem for most) then maybe you should try reading the manga.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-05, 20:27   Link #6
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Ahh I know...I've constantly tried to watch all these titles...I just now tried to watch all of their first episodes....I can't take it sorry =[
I need that quality...my friends call me a quality whore!
I'm the guy who presses the "HD" button on youtube to watch a 15 second video
Ty for the tries though
Old 2009-11-05, 20:45   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooroobearr View Post
Ahh I know...I've constantly tried to watch all these titles...I just now tried to watch all of their first episodes....I can't take it sorry =[
Ty for the tries though
Cross Game comes in HD...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-05, 22:20   Link #8
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Ty for the tries though
Check out Kara no Kyoukai sir!
Old 2009-11-05, 22:20   Link #9
Sasano

Quote:
Ty for the tries though
I really don't follow with what you perceive as quality... anything with HD would do? I ask because you have a lot of shitty shows in your list(Queens Blade,Yugioh,etc) no offense to you personally of course.If this is true then why not try Sword of the Stranger? Its an anime movie so the production quality is incredible and the story is even better.

Out of last resort list, watch Desert Punk really great show, if you can understand it for what it is.BUT I and a lot of people agree that the first few episodes are slow and seem pointless which usually scares off most viewers.The are mostly used to get you acquainted with the character & IMO they kinda pay off in the end so I wouldn't recommend skipping them but I've heard some people do.

Anyways apart from that if you could be a little bit more specific on what you mean by Quality then maybe I can suggest a few things.
Old 2009-11-06, 06:35   Link #10
Niji

Quote:
I'm open to all types of anime, and I only get turned off if it's really, really, really old.
Quote:
Ty for the tries though
Please write your requests appropriately. Turned off by only age did not make it clear to me what you want, obviously. Also, put dropped shows in the dropped list, please.
Old 2009-11-06, 07:25   Link #11
demoran23

I'll second the call for Kurau: Phantom Memory. That's a solid show, and at points the feeling of love between Christmas and Kurau is tangible. They really made the Rimax pair relationship work. This is by no means a shoujo-ai/yuri thing; it's more akin to an onee-chan thing.

Sword of the Stranger is, of course, a fistful of awesome. I have yet to experience better fluidity of animation, and it's got awesome fight sequences. The only one that comes close (at times) is Seirei no Moribito (in my admittedly limited experience).

If you're a fan of romance/drama (and it looks like you are), you do yourself an absolute disservice if you don't watch NANA. This one nears Clannad ~After Story~ in emotional epicness.

Another one in that realm that has a real feeling of authenticity is Koi Kaze. They've taken the topic of a 28 year old guy having the hots for his 15 year old (surprise!) sister and turned it into a heart-felt masterpiece.

You have two glaring gaps in your rom/com exposure: Nodame Cantabile and Maison Ikkoku. Nodame is solid, light, fun and funny. Maison Ikkoku is one of those rare older anime that have weathered the test of time and come out shining. Unlike it's vastly overrated contemporary Kimagure Orange Road, it's both character and plot driven, and you almost never feel like there's a filler episode in there somewhere (which is impressive with it's 96 episode length). The characters are all important and well developed. Yo, I'm happy that you're able to enjoy 720p content, and Ima let you finish, but Maison Ikkoku is one of the best rom/coms of all time. Of all time!

Last edited by demoran23; 2009-11-06 at 07:28. Reason: s/karau/kurau
Old 2009-11-07, 01:38   Link #12
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Rofl...I know I suck at describing what I "want" but pretty much, that list is just there to show that if you suggest anything to me, please let it not be on that list.
Sorry for not being clear...I get "turned off" by anime where the style of drawing is just not to my taste. I like the way Code Geass was shown, it just kept me interested somehow...I also "need" rich colors, so I assumed that "old" animes all have those dull "5-year-old-sweater" colors and didn't get into them.
I could watch Wangan Midnight, even though I didn't like the art of the characters, because it had nice colors, the cars were drawn beautifully, and it was on a topic I love: cars.
I love anime that are abnormal...and completely normal anime are fine too.(Slice of life)
Some story-lines are amazing yes, but I might not at that point in my life where such a story would appeal to me.
And finally, my second post about how I couldn't get into them....it meant 2 things:
I didn't like what I saw in the first episode
and
I couldn't get into them...literally lol, I couldn't find anywhere to watch them, and please don't post where I should watch them...I don't more infractions.
Sorry for so much trouble, you're all trying to help, but I'm being a bit difficult.
So please just refer what you would to your friends, aslong as they're not on the list(s) and just toss 'em out on here, and I'll thank you and attempt at it! =P
Old 2009-11-07, 04:33   Link #13
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Xam'd was great, for an average anime it did better than I expected, the ending was nice too.
I'll recommend Tsubasa Chronicles (make sure to watch the OVAs since the ending sucked), as well as Blood+ (kinda old, but very good story).
Old 2009-11-07, 14:13   Link #14
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The only thing I can say is that it's no wonder you have so many shows on your dropped/on hold list.

I think it's really stupid and definitely not wise to judge an anime by it's first or second episode. ... Very stupid.

'' I didn't like what I saw in first episode '' Ah come on ... seriously ?
Old 2009-11-07, 14:15   Link #15
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Well....I don't want to skip the first 5 episodes to see if it's good or not...that'd just spoil it for me, and so I don't have 1 hour to "sample" an anime to see if i'll continue it, that's the reason I'm posting here so I can get some suggestions from people who have watched them.
Also btw, I found Cross Game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, on episode 14 atm.

Last edited by rooroobearr; 2009-11-07 at 19:11.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, suggestion, list, anime