AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 21:53   Link #161
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
(and Egil the only black guy)
Remember, it's a Japanese game and Kayaba switched it into death-mode on the release date so there wasn't enough time for anyone outside Japan to get a copy. The number of black guys in SAO is probably single digits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Does everyone on this forum know Japanese and read LN's all the time or something?
Nah, most of us have read the translations from Baka Tsuki -- apart from the book released last week, they have all the novels and most of the side stories in English.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:55   Link #162
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Spoiler for Information from current episode's novel content:

Hell, the first time I played ME3 MP, I was decent at killing things, but had no clue about powers or other tactics. 3 months down the road, I'm at a reasonable N7 level (for someone who only plays 3 hours a week), and I'm ranked 651 outta 10,000 players in Malaysia (which I think is reasonable when I only play 3-4 hours a week, and only started playing MP in late April).

First time I played, I was all shoot everything till it died. Now I play as an Engineer sniping with the mantis and using Overload to Reload Cancel and Crowd Control.

But yes, the hype was waaay to high, in hindsight. That said, I enjoy this ep - IMO it's the best compromise, and the core essence is there.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 23:30. Reason: added spoiler tags for information from current novel content
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:57   Link #163
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
It was said in Episode 1 that those don't exist in SAO
Ah, I see.

So SAO is pretty much a hack & slack game. Rather of limiting, but whatever.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:59   Link #164
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
While weaker than the premiere, I thought it was pretty good episode overall. The reactions to this thread just shows people where hyping this series too hard.

At this point the thing I'm most worried about is the production. I didn't think series would be keep up with quality of the first episode, however the second brought a noticeable decline. I pretty disappointing half the Kobold fight consisted of nothing but still shots. I was also expecting more elaborate movement for the sword/weapon techniques rather than pans and bright flashes. But since everyone is probably past Lv 10 I guess I'm expecting to much.

Content-wise it was pretty decent. Asuna seems alright, but I'm pretty baffled how she could not know where to finally basic player info is despite being called a skilled player. I also found it pretty weird that Kirito decided attacked boss with just himself and Asuna instead of having the other players help out. Lastly what's everyone using only melee weapons anyway? How about some bows or magic here?

Aside from that it good setup episode. 7/10
The events in the original text short story play out very differently from this episode. But that's understandable because it's an adaptation and they can only cram so much into one episode w/ the source material long enough to actually last two.

Also in SAO the only ranged weapons are throwing knives and spears for middle range. There are no bows nor magic so you can't snipe monsters from outside their aggro range. It's all up close and personal. Thus all the more dangerous.

The concept of switch wasn't explained at all. You see it's more effective for players to attack in succession rather than simultaneously. Because when two or more people were too close together in a fight where swords swung to and fro at speeds faster than the eye could follow, it became more of a hindrance than a help. That's what the novel said anyway. Thus the switch system. Also it was easier to confuse the enemy A.I. w/ ever changing attack patterns and easier overall to cause a stun delay.

Lastly Asuna is a total noob. It's basically her first time playing an MMO and was only able to achieve that high-speed "Linear" attack through persistence, sacrificing sleep and a whole lot of dumb luck
Old 2012-07-14, 22:00   Link #165
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Hell, the first time I played ME3 MP, I was decent at killing things, but had no clue about powers or other tactics.
LOL, I remember playing the ME3 MP beta with a few friends, and we kept getting pwnd by bronze cerberus at firebase white

Now I can solo that thing in my sleep :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 22:02   Link #166
Qilin
Romanticist

Well, the drop in the quality since the first episode was a bit expected. From here on out, this story should resemble a particularly grim MMORPG adventure. All that said, despite having read a few of the SAO novels, I haven't read the particular side story from which this was based.

Quite honestly, I didn't find the episode quite as interesting as the previous episode. The episode focused a bit too much on plot and moving things forward than character interactions. Also, it looks like the problem of the novel's awkward transitions is still apparent here in the anime, albeit much less apparent.

Yep. I'm actually glad that the anime is tackling everything in chronological order. For one thing, it should help piece together the story as a coherent whole rather than a disjointed jigsaw puzzle.
Old 2012-07-14, 22:03   Link #167
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
LOL, I remember playing the ME3 MP beta with a few friends, and we kept getting pwnd by bronze cerberus at firebase white

Now I can solo that thing in my sleep :P
Especially if you have a Krogan Sentinel with a shotgun.

I can actually solo Silver now, with hard work and guts. Gold is ;__; Platinum will be SAO

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 22:15   Link #168
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Asuna is good at killing things. She is not good at anything else MMO related, as this is her first ever MMO. SHe's only been playing cellphone games before this.

Hell, the first time I played ME3 MP, I was decent at killing things, but had no clue about powers or other tactics. 3 months down the road, I'm at a reasonable N7 level (for someone who only plays 3 hours a week), and I'm ranked 651 outta 10,000 players in Malaysia (which I think is reasonable when I only play 3-4 hours a week, and only started playing MP in late April).

First time I played, I was all shoot everything till it died. Now I play as an Engineer sniping with the mantis and using Overload to Reload Cancel and Crowd Control.
But there was a free beginner's guide sold at the item shop. I think that would be really important to read in a game that can kill you.

Quote:
But yes, the hype was waaay to high, in hindsight. That said, I enjoy this ep - IMO it's the best compromise, and the core essence is there.
Yeah, you just kinda have expect this stuff in adaptations, honestly I've far worse in terms bastardization. Be glad this isn't as bad as Campione!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
The events in the original text short story play out very differently from this episode. But that's understandable because it's an adaptation and they can only cram so much into one episode w/ the source material actually long enough to actually last two.

Also in SAO the only ranged weapons are throwing knives and spears for middle range. There are no bows nor magic so you can't snipe monsters from outside their aggro range. It's all up close and personal. Thus all the more dangerous.

Yeah, I had the idea in the back of my mind that part of reason everyone was dying so much was due to limited ways to attack and strategize coupled with no healers and perma death.

What the hell Kayaba, seriously what the hell.

Quote:
The concept of switch wasn't explained at all. You see it's more effective for players to attack in succession rather than simultaneously. Because when two or more people were too close together in a fight where swords swung to and fro at speeds faster than the eye could follow, it became more of a hindrance than a help. That's what the novel said anyway. Thus the switch system. Also it was easier to confuse the enemy A.I. w/ ever changing attack patterns and easier overall to cause a stun delay.

Lastly Asuna is a total noob. It's basically her first time playing an MMO and was only able to achieve that high-speed "Linear" attack through persistence, sacrificing sleep and a whole lot of dumb luck
That sounds pretty cool, hopefully they will talk a little more about switch in later episodes.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 22:27   Link #169
sky black swordman

Well great episode but Ep one was a bit better. And love the ED.
I am looking foward to Ep 3.
Old 2012-07-14, 22:56   Link #170
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Episode 1 comes along we were like "OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!!11!1!"

Once episode 2 came out and didn't meet the standard set by the first, people tend to go "WTF IS THIS S***!"
Haha. I never read the novels, and I only thought the first episode was fine. I said the second episode seemed rushed because it was very obvious that stuff was cut out. There is the fact that it didn't live up to the first episode, but the main reason I wasn't a fan was because this episode reminded me of the Green Lantern movie.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 22:59   Link #171
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
How is reaching a higher level in the beta considered cheating? That ungrateful bastard deserves to be tided to a plank for use as meat shield.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 23:10   Link #172
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
But there was a free beginner's guide sold at the item shop. I think that would be really important to read in a game that can kill you.
IRL people tend to skip the tutorials in an MMO if they aren't forced on you, at least in my experience.

I've yet to watch the ep but could someone enlighten as to how much of a noob Asuna was?
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 23:12   Link #173
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
IRL people tend to skip the tutorials in an MMO if they aren't forced on you, at least in my experience.

I've yet to watch the ep but could someone enlighten as to how much of a noob Asuna was?
She didn't even know that when guilding with others her name get revealed to them. That's about the noobest thing there is.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 23:19   Link #174
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
She didn't even know that when guilding with others her name get revealed to them. That's about the noobest thing there is.
Asuna's noobness is completely believable btw. I've had to deal with (on more than one occasion) noobs that don't know where to find their skills and use them in MMORPGs, don't know how to converse w/ NPCs, adding/removing friends, private messaging, grouping, etc.
Old 2012-07-14, 23:38   Link #175
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, regarding the novel comments in this thread. As was mentioned before, comparisons to current (not future!) novel content are allowed, but you must use properly-labelled spoiler tags. "Properly-labelled" means that it must explain what you are comparing the episode to.

For example, a good label would be something like "comparison of current episode to novel". This tells the reader what they can expect to find behind your spoiler tag -- that you'll be comparing with the novels, but only up to and including current material. This helps the reader decide if they want to know this information or not. It should go without saying that you may not post spoilers of future material anyway, but you still need to make sure you label your spoiler tags in a way that makes the nature of the spoiler clear (but does not give away the spoiler itself!).

If you are replying to another post with a spoiler tag, your reply must also be behind a properly-labelled spoiler tag.

The Spoiler Policy lists the following exceptions where spoilers are allowed only when in properly-labelled spoiler tags:
  • Posting and discussing content found on official sites or blogs.
  • Answering specific questions about past or current events using knowledge of the source material, so long as these questions will not be answered by the adaptation itself in the future. (We strongly encourage posters to discuss any spoilers via PM, rather than in the work's discussion thread.)
  • Comparing events in an adaptation to the way they were presented in the source material or other adaptations. (Discussions about the source material itself, or extended comparisons should be directed to the appropriate manga/novel/game thread.)
  • Comparing one story to another, when such comparisons are useful or informative. (These spoiler tags must always be labeled with the name of the other work whose spoilers it contains.)

I have tried to go through and clean up some earlier posts, but I am sure I missed some.

The purpose of this clarification is to make sure everyone is well-aware of what is expected from now on. Comparisons of current content to the novels are okay, but only if it is behind a properly-labelled spoiler tag. Any other case (including a bad label or lack thereof) will be treated like an inappropriate spoiler and subject to warnings, infractions, and bans. Please take note.
Old 2012-07-14, 23:41   Link #176
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

A jackpot for Kirito though since Asuna's one hot noob. Imagine spending all that time teaching her the basics of SAO!! I remember somebody from Accel World saying...

A noob. MEGA LUCKY!! or something like that.
Old 2012-07-14, 23:50   Link #177
Rovert10

Problem is the inconsistencies with this side story (episode 2) and what actually happens in actual light novel volumes. Even the side stories in vol 2 and 8 are more consistent. This one isn't in any though.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 23:56   Link #178
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

asuna cute laugh at the end of the fighting scene clears up all the tension man
so cute =)))

A main character must always have a cloak, it just looks so main characterish

Last edited by shakeofinfinity; 2012-07-15 at 00:10.
shakeofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 00:02   Link #179
dmaxzero

Spoiler for comparison of the current episode to the novels:

Not bad, but not good... next to the last episode it felt lacking, rushed, and hard to get excited by it. Oh well.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 09:37. Reason: improved spoiler-tag label
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 00:05   Link #180
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Kirito really pulled a nice speech there to Asuna... He really acted cool. Hope he had a shade to wear after that line.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion