AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-10-23, 00:32   Link #1
kimchipride
Geass User

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead

Developers: Valve Corporation

I'm surprised that I couldn't find a thread for this game. At the same time, I wouldn't say I'm completely surprised. There is barely any hype for this game and it is easily overshadowed by the games that are coming out this year. (ex. Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, WoW E2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Dead Space)

The concept of the entire game is already BADASS. I'm even more excited because it was developed by a top-tier developer that is responsible for the ingenious creations of Portal, Team Fortress 2, the Half Life Series, and the Counter Strike series.

This thread was created for the sake of forming 4-man groups and for the sake of discussions.
Old 2008-10-23, 09:22   Link #2
Maes
その目だれの目?

I remember this game now, I had forgotten about it though since I hadn't heard anything about it in a while. It looks like it's going to be awesome because of the dynamic AI and the focus on team play.
Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 01:08   Link #3
kimchipride
Geass User

Opening Cinematic of L4D came out on Halloween.

http://left4dead411.com/news/2008/10...ing-cinematic/

It looks EPIC and I can't wait to play this game with my friends.
Old 2008-11-03, 03:46   Link #4
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Barely any hype?
This game has been hyped to no end =X

It looks good, but not $60 good.
I can't see myself playing a co-op game for THAT long, even with that fancy AI director thing going on. I mean, as "trendy" as it is to think zombies are cool (same goes for that pirates and ninjas crap), it'll get boring eventually. I mean, when it boils right down to it, it's just a bunch of zombies running at you. A few other enemy types, sure, and yes, they'll spawn differently every time you play, but seriously... does it really matter?

Oh, and I should add that Valve isn't really developing the game. It's developed by Turtle Rock, which was bought out by Valve. Turtle Rock, by the way, made the Counterstrike: Condition Zero bot... big whoop, right? Anyways, the dev team for L4D has nothing to do with the other Half Life/Source games. Portal's team was actually independent before Valve hired them too. I mean, you could technically say the same about Counterstrike, DoD, and TF as well...
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 06:10   Link #5
Ending

I'm mainly interested of the game because it's zombie survival. How cool is that? I was already hoping that the upcoming Mirror's Edge would feature a similar theme, but guess I lucked out when Left4Dead came instead

The cinematic was okay, but nothing exceptional. The characters looked like your regular trash-talking idiots from Gears of War, including the mandatory woman of the group (with dual pistols, no less), so I got a feeling like story wasn't one of the strongest points of the game.

But as long as the mechanics work and they don't spam zombies to silly places. Like right behind your back or empty rooms you just secured.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 18:08   Link #6
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Barely any hype?

I can't see myself playing a co-op game for THAT long, even with that fancy AI director thing going on. I mean, as "trendy" as it is to think zombies are cool (same goes for that pirates and ninjas crap), it'll get boring eventually. I mean, when it boils right down to it, it's just a bunch of zombies running at you.
Well if you want, you can play by yourself. It's just playing campaign with your friends. That's not the entire aspect of the game. There's multiplayer where you can play as the infected bosses and play against human players. In that respect, it's similar to TF2 where you have different skills and functions.

The thing that most turns me on the most is probably the gameplay. These aren't slow-ass zombies like the ones form Dead Rising or Resident Evil. These are fast zombies that are always seeking for your flesh.

In addition to the gameplay, you get to enjoy playing with three of your friends. How awesome is that?
Old 2008-11-03, 20:40   Link #7
ExShinobi
I Am The Wired.

Quote:
Barely any hype?

I can't see myself playing a co-op game for THAT long, even with that fancy AI director thing going on. I mean, as "trendy" as it is to think zombies are cool (same goes for that pirates and ninjas crap), it'll get boring eventually. I mean, when it boils right down to it, it's just a bunch of zombies running at you. A few other enemy types, sure, and yes, they'll spawn differently every time you play, but seriously... does it really matter?

Oh, and I should add that Valve isn't really developing the game. It's developed by Turtle Rock, which was bought out by Valve. Turtle Rock, by the way, made the Counterstrike: Condition Zero bot... big whoop, right? Anyways, the dev team for L4D has nothing to do with the other Half Life/Source games. Portal's team was actually independent before Valve hired them too. I mean, you could technically say the same about Counterstrike, DoD, and TF as well...
You Sir are wrong!
Valve is working on it, actually the dev team from tf2 hence the non-Existent character update.
ExShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 01:46   Link #8
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Barely any hype?

You're wrong about Portal as well. Valve hired the developers of Narbacular Drop, a game that had the same idea of going through a door and coming out from another door. However, Valve incorporated the use of guns, real portals, and other things.

Valve should be credited with the storyline, music, and the amazing use of physics.

Narbacular Drop is crap compared to Portal

Screens of Narbacular Drop
http://static4.filefront.com/images/iphnnodosn.jpg
http://static3.filefront.com/images/okmbcjemcr.jpg
Old 2008-11-04, 05:49   Link #9
Xvoki

This looks a good game, reminds me of Resident Evil.

Can you switch characters during combat, etc, or is it just an A.I character that follows you around?
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 18:39   Link #10
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Is this the game thats being advertised throughout Steam right now? I haven't looked into it until I saw this thread. It reminded me a lot of RE and stuff but it looks like a game I might pick up soon.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 03:46   Link #11
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExShinobi View Post
You Sir are wrong!
Valve is working on it, actually the dev team from tf2 hence the non-Existent character update.
Source please ;O
TF2 and Portal were in development simultaneously, so that already rules out the two having the same development teams.

Oh, and when TF2 and Portal were in development, Valve hadn't even acquired Turtle Rock Studios, meaning they didn't share teams at the very least until early 2008. Wikipedia says L4D development was started 2005 so it's a pretty ballsy claim to say that Valve's TF2 team has had a big enough impact on L4D's development compared to TRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
You're wrong about Portal as well. Valve hired the developers of Narbacular Drop, a game that had the same idea of going through a door and coming out from another door. However, Valve incorporated the use of guns, real portals, and other things.

Valve should be credited with the storyline, music, and the amazing use of physics.

Narbacular Drop is crap compared to Portal

Screens of Narbacular Drop
http://static4.filefront.com/images/iphnnodosn.jpg
http://static3.filefront.com/images/okmbcjemcr.jpg
No, I'm quite right ;O

Valve hired them, asked them to incorporate Half Life lore into it, and Portal is the result. The developers of ND were still the ones who saw it to completion. Just watch some of the pre-release interviews. The only ones who are interviewed are the guys and gal(s) who made ND.
Old 2008-11-06, 21:29   Link #12
kimchipride
Geass User

I still don't believe your posts, but as long as L4D will be an awesome game, it won't matter to me.

The demo came out for those who preordered it.

I can't wait to play it.
Old 2008-11-06, 23:32   Link #13
shinobiknight0
I'm a Senior Member!
*Graphic Designer

I've been following Left 4 Dead ever since I heard about it. I'm always into zombie movies/games(first zombie game I played was Zombie Revenge on the DC).

I hope my PC can run it smoothly; I don't have a 360 yet. I hope it turns out to be a great game(I am the worst at ALL FPS games).
Old 2008-11-07, 00:26   Link #14
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
I still don't believe your posts, but as long as L4D will be an awesome game, it won't matter to me.

The demo came out for those who preordered it.

I can't wait to play it.
I mean, it looks like a great game, but I just don't think it's worth $60.
There's really only one main game mode, and the main attraction for it is against AI, not other players. What I mean is that in the end, there's not going to be much depth to it.
Old 2008-11-07, 00:41   Link #15
Excorsism

Alright, after playing the demo extensively for 4-6 hours, I definitely would claim this a game worthy of its marketed price. It's way too damned fun.

The demo only has the two starting maps of the campaign and despite playing it for this lengthy amount of time, I did not got bored once. Each time you play is random and the AI can be incredibly intelligent such as the Smoker getting into dead angles that can grab your teammates without anyone noticing.

I can't tell you how amusing it was to hear "TANK" on the microphone. It was entertaining and scary at the same time. This is the same thing for the witch although less extreme. Expert mode is pretty hard mainly because of the friendly fire. My teammates keep killing each other.

I imagine human-controlled Infected would be a hell-hole.
Old 2008-11-07, 06:47   Link #16
Lebron
I hear voices

My friends seem to like it. I'll give the 360 demo a go next week.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 01:25   Link #17
kimchipride
Geass User

I played through like 4 hours today and it totally met my expectations. There's nothing better than playing a fast-paced zombie game with your friends.
Old 2008-11-08, 04:23   Link #18
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
hnngh exchange rates

hope to get this asap
Old 2008-11-09, 17:38   Link #19
Lebron
I hear voices

well I came across a 360 key, so I downloaded it earlier today. Pretty fun. Nothing like owning waves upon waves of Zombies with friends.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 14:07   Link #20
kimchipride
Geass User

Left 4 Dead Demo is finally out to the public
Everyone DOWNLOAD!!