AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 02:59   Link #121
Ch3i
omnomnom

Yes, that is the fault of Japanese. :3 But you still have to understand the Korean words when they borrow meanings from Hanja. So that counts as 2 to understand. :') Oh and I'm Korean as well, nice to meet thee. :'D
Ch3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 03:22   Link #122
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3i View Post
The Breaker is an ok manhwa. I hear it's storyline is similar to Veritas(another manhwa, I have yet to read it), but it's still too cliche all the same. The art looks original, which is one of the main reasons I read it. One of the most irritating parts of reading Korean to English translations is that everything gets so long. >.< For example, the Il-Wol-Shin-Dan(일월신단), Hyun-Chun-Ji-Gong(현천지공). See what I mean? xD Must be a betch for editors.
The Breaker, Veritas, and Ping all fall under what I'd consider modern adaptations of wuxia stories. I'm guessing Murium/Mulim is the Chinese equivalent of WuLing, which is pretty much the common setting for all wuxia stories. Different martial arts schools, along with coalitions, secret arts, internal ki, foot work, etc, are all pretty much the bread and butter of these stories. It's the equivalent of fireballs, enchanted swords, mana, wizards, etc for fantasy stories, or starships, laser pistols, transporters, ESP powers, hacking, etc for sci fi stories.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 08:06   Link #123
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3i View Post
The Breaker is an ok manhwa. I hear it's storyline is similar to Veritas(another manhwa, I have yet to read it), but it's still too cliche all the same. The art looks original, which is one of the main reasons I read it. One of the most irritating parts of reading Korean to English translations is that everything gets so long. >.< For example, the Il-Wol-Shin-Dan(일월신단), Hyun-Chun-Ji-Gong(현천지공). See what I mean? xD Must be a betch for editors.
Hmm, I don't find the two series similar at all outside martial arts jargon and what not.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 15:02   Link #124
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Hmm, I don't find the two series similar at all outside martial arts jargon and what not.
Yeah, not similar. And We get Romance in The Breaker

Anyways, the new chapter is great

*Must resist to look at the new volume raw*

*Goes on Mangahelpers*

Failed-
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 16:42   Link #125
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Failed-
[voice=Roy Campbell]Good Job![/voice]

Just caught up with all the chapters. That boy is becoming amazing. But I'm starting to wonder when Goomoonryong's arm is gonna be out of that cast. I really want to see him in top physical condition.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:09   Link #126
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wonder if Shioon can already win? Against that Southern Red Star or whatever? It really doesn't seem like that long ago when he didn't know anything. And even now, he's only got a nice punch and some foot techniques.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 20:49   Link #127
hehey

I got to say, I HATE the fact that Shioons new badassery is mostly thanks to a magic pill that gave him an absurdly high amount of ki.
hehey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 20:57   Link #128
Xacual

Well technically since he was actually physically handicapped due to his heart condition or w/e it was, it was probably the best way the author thought of to push him to actually being able to learn.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 21:18   Link #129
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehey View Post
I got to say, I HATE the fact that Shioons new badassery is mostly thanks to a magic pill that gave him an absurdly high amount of ki.
What do you expect the author to do? Have him fall into some vat of unknown chemicals? Or train when it's pointless like stated above with his blood vessels being screwed? In defense only 20% reacted positive to the pill and the other 80% bought the farm. Plus I'm not so sure that it's only the pill that's making him badass...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:09   Link #130
hehey

I would have prefered the pill to simply make him normal, then he gets badass all on his own, through, i dunno, training from hell or something.
hehey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:21   Link #131
Iron21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
What do you expect the author to do? Have him fall into some vat of unknown chemicals? Or train when it's pointless like stated above with his blood vessels being screwed? In defense only 20% reacted positive to the pill and the other 80% bought the farm. Plus I'm not so sure that it's only the pill that's making him badass...

This.

I forgot who it was, but somebody came up with a damn good theory that made me believe that Shioon was already this good, but someone or something sabotage his blood vessels causing him unable to use his body well.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:24   Link #132
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The pill just "fixed" his Chi, he himself had a natural talent to learn martial arts.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 05:00   Link #133
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

The pill also give him a HUGE chi boost, which affects his toughness and rate of healing. As well as strength.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 16:15   Link #134
Xion Valkyrie

New chapter out. Utter rape lol.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 17:23   Link #135
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I shoulda known that the chapter was gonna be spent setting up the fight >.<
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:13   Link #136
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
The pill did give him a chi boost, but it was more like a catalyst for Shioon to grow into the very thing he's meant for. After he took the pill, it was repeatedly stated that Shioon was already naturally talented in martial arts. If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have been able to take advantage of it. Also, the pill initially caused him more harm than good. It gave him such a tremendous chi boost that his body couldn't hold it, so whenever he became excited, blood would just pop out of his body. He was in a pretty dangerous position right after taking it and had to train to remedy the drawback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wonder if Shioon can already win? Against that Southern Red Star or whatever? It really doesn't seem like that long ago when he didn't know anything. And even now, he's only got a nice punch and some foot techniques.
The foot techniques he was taught were said to be pretty high level, as stated in chapter 43 here:

Spoiler for Scan:

So even if the lightning step is one of the few things that he has, it's already quite a lot considering it's deemed to be a high calibre technique, implying that few know about it at all. So his chances of winning aren't all that low in the end.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 19:06   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He's fighting a celebrity of the murim world, not a random mook, though.

As for how much Shioon owes to the pill... A lot. It gave him more chi than most martial artist will ever have even if they train their whole lives. That's not a small advantage.

He also has a gift for learning techniques, that's true, but without the chi to feed them, it'd amount to nothing. Heck, even his learning speed may be due in part to the pill. If, say, a normal student would have the chi to make one attempt a day at practicing a new technique, the guy who can tirelessly try and try again has a huge advantage.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 20:12   Link #138
Boduar

The pill + no talent = nothing (probably dead)
no pill + talent = what we saw at the start (pretty much nothing).

That being said I think hes got a decent shot now that hes somewhat rested up but I doubt hes going to get through without getting tired/beaten up.
Boduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 11:37   Link #139
Wrath88
Kissing...

The thing is, I'm thinking even though the doorman is quite good... there HAS to be some guys in the crowd who can at least show more of a challenge than the one who got sent flying. So maybe he won't be fighting alone.
Old 2010-01-09, 15:19   Link #140
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Yeah, I don't understand what people are complaining about either... Take that genius kid, for instance. The main reason he is so strong is because of good genes, he was born inherently stronger than most martial artists could ever hope to be no matter how hard they train. So what if Shion took a pill? He still has to practice to learn stuff, and his learning speed is entirely his own talent. Plus he gets pwned like 99% of the time too.
aliasxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gar, harem, manhwa, martial arts, new waves