AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-11, 15:26   Link #161
SQA

I think the series, having hit nearly every Mecha trope from the 90s and 2000s, is acting more like a send up than a truly new series. They're not trying to do anything new. So this is more of a 'love letter" series than anything else.

Taken in that view, it's a pretty fun romp. But nothing is to be taken seriously. Though we just got our Char stand in!
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:29   Link #162
HandofFate

Episode 2 was really boring. I stayed to watch it because I did enjoy the end of episode 1, but if the series is just going to have battles every 2-4 episodes, and in between just hijinks with the same character trait jokes, I think I be passing on the rest.
Old 2013-04-11, 15:44   Link #163
Dop
Mmmm....

Episode number two was throttled back after episode one, but did introduce a touch of intrigue, like the white haired woman talking to the commander, and the guy piloting the fast mecha which 'attacked' didn't look like the attackers in the first episode and had a completely different class of machine.

So with that and a few other things I'm hoping this show will turn out to be a bit more than it appears. At least that's the reason I'll be watching the next episode.

Also, love the Chiaki Ishikawa ED - I've always liked her voice.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:18   Link #164
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This show isn't amazing by any means but it's been pretty damn fun so far. This is two cours, right? I'm expecting a dramatic shift of mood at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
We also seem to be getting some other Gundam tropes including a Char clone (though I really hope that wasn't a Lacus Clyne clone I saw. We don't need one of them).
She seems to be backing MJP up financially (so she's rich and involved politically to some extent), and she looks identical to Lacus (even has the hairclip!). Since Hirai is not a very subtle chara designer, I'm pretty sure we have a Lacus clone on our hand.
Old 2013-04-11, 20:42   Link #165
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
she looks identical to Lacus (even has the hairclip!)
She has two. I just hope they portray her better than what that hackjob fukuda and morosawa did.
Old 2013-04-11, 21:25   Link #166
garbage

wooh so much gundam,,, anyway it's still fun, though EP2since to have settled up a bit. That online comments was funny though.
Old 2013-04-11, 22:02   Link #167
SQA

This series will hit *every* Gundam and/or Mecha trope from the 90s and 2000s. I think it's more in the vein of a Godannar. It's a send up to everything of that era of Mecha.

Will it be "good"? No. Will it be fun? Good chance at that.

Of course, I was also waving to my screen and going "hi Char" when our Char stand-in showed up.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:06   Link #168
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Will it be "good"? No. Will it be fun? Good chance at that.
But if it's fun, doesn't that make it good?
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:58   Link #169
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm sorry. While Char wasn't exactly a Chuck Norris, manliness oozed out of his very being. This dude looks like he belongs in some butler anime. Don't compare the two!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 23:26   Link #170
novalysis

There was a very innovative concept they introduced to the Mecha genre though this episode: having the social media armchair generals critique your sorties and screw ups, and post-battle conferences. That, for me was the most arresting and prominent feature of this episode. Has there been a Mecha show that has yet openly acknowledged Social media? I haven't recalled one, so that's something quite new: having the social media critique and hound ace mecha pilots.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 23:38   Link #171
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
There was a very innovative concept they introduced to the Mecha genre though this episode: having the social media armchair generals critique your sorties and screw ups, and post-battle conferences. That, for me was the most arresting and prominent feature of this episode. Has there been a Mecha show that has yet openly acknowledged Social media? I haven't recalled one, so that's something quite new: having the social media critique and hound ace mecha pilots.
Well, in some sense, the show is channeling some Tiger and Bunny/Durarara mixed up with all the normal mecha tropes.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:43   Link #172
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
The only one I can think of so far is Eureka Seven AO, unless you wanna count AKB0048.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 05:28   Link #173
solidvanz
Special Operative

Old 2013-04-12, 05:56   Link #174
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I really like this show. The press conference reminded me of Fantastic Four comics, and the sponsors obviously reminded me of Tiger and Bunny. Lots of fun stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The only one I can think of so far is Eureka Seven AO, unless you wanna count AKB0048.
Valvrave has twitter and facebook elements on the smartphones in the show. This season has a lot of social media mecha stuff!
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 09:32   Link #175
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I really like this show. The press conference reminded me of Fantastic Four comics, and the sponsors obviously reminded me of Tiger and Bunny. Lots of fun stuff.

Valvrave has twitter and facebook elements on the smartphones in the show. This season has a lot of social media mecha stuff!
We've witnessed the birth of a new Mecha trope. Social media Armchair generals!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:21   Link #176
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think it just means that the mecha genre is in the process of becoming a bit more savvy with the more serious mecha shows wanting to incorporate a more globalised world as a setting with these type of elements, if they're aiming for better social commentary. At a glance, GKMP could appear to be one of those.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-04-12 at 15:17.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 18:09   Link #177
solidvanz
Special Operative

Old 2013-04-12, 22:07   Link #178
Excorsism

Really enjoying the mecha designs, particularly blue and red. It's always a special feeling when they match a battle scene with the right song, .
Old 2013-04-12, 23:46   Link #179
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
We've witnessed the birth of a new Mecha trope. Social media Armchair generals!
Taking potshots at real life counterparts of them maybe? There's a lot of them everywhere, ranging from your average basement dwellers to your run-of-the-mill politician

Anyway, the humor keeps it warm for this week. My expectations for the humor (I shamelessly admit that's the only reason I watched) was higher, but I'll just mark myself satisfied.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 00:47   Link #180
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Late to the party. Just watched the 1st ep, and I really have to agree with duckroll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Episode 1

That was a good but rather safe and predictable start to the show. It's very much what I expected from it, maybe a bit too by the books in some ways but it's a fairly standard opening episode which introduces the setting, lays out the basics and characters, and includes a major action sequence to show what the show has to offer.

Right off the bat I will say one thing which I know some people will probably disagree strongly with - Hirai's character designs absolutely work on the show. They're not cool designs nor are they good art, but he does have the ability to turn out a huge number of characters who look distinct and can be visually identified by the audience by their quirks. This is important because the show has a pretty large cast, and it helps to be able to make that connection early on. The other thing is that it's a pretty goofy show, so the characters all looking kinda dumb fits really well with the tone.

The CG action is really well done as we would expect from this being a major project for Orange. I think the action is well composed and uses the CG camera as would be expected for exciting looking action. The only downside is that similar to their work on Akito the Exiled, the CG explosions still look off. That's something they have to work on as they take on more of this sort of work I think, because they stand out from the rest of the visual composition.

Story-wise there isn't much to talk about at the moment. It's still very early on, but the comedy+action element works for me. The pace is pretty fast, and it doesn't waste time on drawn out stuff. The comedy feels a lot of a stand up stage production to me, where a lot of what makes the dialogue work is from the performance of the voice cast in delivering the lines. It doesn't rely on intant gags so much as setting a constant tone of lulz for most of the characters. We'll see how it progresses, but I like what it's doing.

Overall I'm just glad a show like this is even made at all. We have mecha shows every year, but most of them tend to be serious, and those who aren't tend to be over the top super robot stuff, or filled with perverted lewd jokes. It's nice to see someone actually produce a mecha show which is a mix of more "serious" shounen style action scenes and lighthearted character comedy about goofy characters while not in combat.

tl;dr - This was enjoyable, will keep watching.
Your post did a homerun in expressing my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Ugly. And I'm not talking about the Hirai's chara design, but about overall quality, animation and CG.
Just... fail.
Ugly CG? Well, if one thing, I guess're you're lucky enough since you seem to haven't watched at least dozens of shows with crap CG compared to this ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Easily the worst debut of the shows ive watched this season so far.
Easily the worst this season? I take it you haven't seen Mushibugyou. Watch its debut episode this season and see how mediocre and boring it is. It's a lot worse than Galactic Prince's debut. I even go so far to say that Galatic Prince's debut is more entertaining than the hyped Valvrave. Maybe due to Valvrave has such a herbivore male MC and illogically owning mechas piloted by professionals. At least the MCs in Galactic Prince have the pilot background that makes "owning the enemies" scene feels more realistic.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-04-13 at 00:57.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction