AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Old 2011-04-17, 03:01   Link #1221
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Hey, can somebody do an animated GIF in slow-motion of Kin-chan's Balisong (Butterfly Knife) trick in Episode 1? I was just as impressed as Shirayuki-chan at how cool it was!! But it would be cool to see how it was done and see whether or not it was the animators pulling our legs or whether it can REALLY be done.
Old 2011-04-17, 03:26   Link #1222
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Hey, can somebody do an animated GIF in slow-motion of Kin-chan's Balisong (Butterfly Knife) trick in Episode 1? I was just as impressed as Shirayuki-chan at how cool it was!! But it would be cool to see how it was done and see whether or not it was the animators pulling our legs or whether it can REALLY be done.
Here's a large gif of the scene. Thumbnail, click to open (size 352x200 , approx 3,2 MB).

Old 2011-04-17, 03:36   Link #1223
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Ah...with Hobbits it was a literary device about how the tiny nobodies would be the ones to bring about great change and the like. Which come to think of it really, logical or not, they are all literary devices. Just depends whther you like the presentation or not.
Exactly. That's what I was getting at. Even if it sounds cool, logically, isn't it better to assign the great change and task into the capable and well-known person instead of a tiny nobody?

There's nothing logical in the fiction world, every rule and law in the world is made by the author. A logical fiction world will be a crappy one. The reason we're looking for a fictional work is because we're bored of the logic that bind the real world right? It's how the rule and explanation is being presented by the author, and how good we're able to rationalize the explanation which make how "logical" the setting is in the fictional word to us.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 03:39   Link #1224
ZeKeR
Superbad

i cant... take my eyes off that balisong trick. i can only speed draw the damn thing (actually, im more adept with a bolo or kukri since during summer we go to gramp's place and help out in the woods) and this... is just cool. i think this blade is tempered to Butei standard for it to be tinted red.
Old 2011-04-17, 03:53   Link #1225
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Doing tricks like that with a butterfly knife is damn well impressive. Reminds me of a certain other character that uses one masterfully. =P

It's a much cooler design though, but I don't know if that affects it's performance in any way.
Old 2011-04-17, 04:26   Link #1226
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Doing tricks like that with a butterfly knife is damn well impressive. Reminds me of a certain other character that uses one masterfully. =P

It's a much cooler design though, but I don't know if that affects it's performance in any way.
well, its reasonable enough to pierce vitals against unarmored individuals but if the tang weakens or the pivots weaken, there you have it.

it suits the guy better tho, unless you want him to carry a military grade combat knife or a high grade kukri for that matter.
Old 2011-04-17, 04:27   Link #1227
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Because a light-hearted action/gunji series is somehow a copy of a relatively dark and melancholic fantasy story.....right, very insightful.

How......wrong......amazing, do critics even know anything about what they are trying to bash these days anymore....

Also, do I smell sarcasm in your "great Shakugan no Shana"?
Never, Shakugan no Shana got 9/10 from me. Both seasons.

You're right saying it's different, but somehow I feel J.C. had Shakugan no Shana's success in mind when they made Hidan no Aria.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 04:42   Link #1228
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Good question. It should instead be going "Shana with guns, Shana with guns, Shana with guns."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Really? I went Louise with guns, Louise with guns, Louise with guns...
Pretty much both fit, originally action LNs turn harem, plus loli tsundere voiced by Rie that doubles as an action girl (granted different weapons), and likes a not-so-worthless male lead that is very dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Anybody up for going "Nagi with guns, Nagi with guns..."?
Nope, since HnG is a harem manga, lacking action, and Nagi is by no means an action girl, quite the opposite. The only common things are loli tsundere voiced by Rie, but that is much more common... in between, I prefer her non-loli tsundere roles
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 04:46   Link #1229
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
it suits the guy better tho, unless you want him to carry a military grade combat knife or a high grade kukri for that matter.
It is probably the best choice of knife for him to carry since balisongs are specialized for one-hand use, that way he can use his Beretta at the same time.

A kukri would be a little too large a blade for a situation like that, and combat knife would be a little bland, so I think the butterfly knife was a good choice.~
Old 2011-04-17, 05:51   Link #1230
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The first time I saw a balisong in action was in Starcraft II... Then going back further, I realize when I watched the movie [Face Off] again that there were some balisong action

But aside from the butterfly knife, the only unique knife I've commited to memory is the modern Karambit

It would be awesome to play around with OC ideas once we get a subform,; Hidan no Aria has one of those worlds that would be fun to play in.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 06:48   Link #1231
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

It would be awesome to play around with OC ideas once we get a subform,; Hidan no Aria has one of those worlds that would be fun to play in.
Aria's world is not constricted to guns only. It's very versatile and a real fiction world. So it's funny trying to explain it with human logic aside that it's our world logic forcing into fiction logic. But it looks like the fire was set out already in this thread. Maybe next week it will lit up again.
Old 2011-04-17, 06:59   Link #1232
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
But it looks like the fire was set out already in this thread. Maybe next week it will lit up again.
let's hope not. Not sure if I want to read another 5-6 pages of "why-so-serious" discussion.
Old 2011-04-17, 07:03   Link #1233
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You know what I'm amazed here? The fact that a creation of the Philippines, the balisong, is gonna play a major role as a main character's weapon, albeit secondary. You gotta hand it to Kinji; without HSS Mode, he can still show the moves with that balisong.

My doubts about this series have already dissipated a bit, and I might just enjoy this series unlike my initial thoughts.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2011-04-17 at 07:15.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 07:40   Link #1234
tsunade666

Well you've got to hand it to Kinji in balisong is bada*s plus with a baretta. Dual wielding weapon.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:21   Link #1235
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

So I heard, the original Balisong in Philipino Mythology is said to be sword sized.

Sure, the concealment factor goes right out the window there, but the sheer versatiliyt of it... disarm, severing (guilotine style), non-lethal even.... ah the possibilities.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:54   Link #1236
tsunade666

balisong is different from itak or bolo. The sword sized that you mentioned is more like bolo.

Balisong are use for more handy and secretive stabbing XD
Old 2011-04-17, 11:18   Link #1237
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Aria's world is not constricted to guns only. It's very versatile and a real fiction world. So it's funny trying to explain it with human logic aside that it's our world logic forcing into fiction logic. But it looks like the fire was set out already in this thread. Maybe next week it will lit up again.
Come for the girls, stay for the guns

Yeah I get the impression that alot of specific real world weapons would be use throughout the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
let's hope not. Not sure if I want to read another 5-6 pages of "why-so-serious" discussion.
It's like the formation of the planet; first you have to be slam and squeezed by all this falling crap, but by the end of it you'll get a nice spherical object that could support life.

In this case, all that heated serious discussion would increase of mass of this thread until it reached a Critical point and becomes a subforum
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:31   Link #1238
tsunade666

well after the massive hit it done after it's been aired. it's been cooled of for now and only the one who visit are the regular but I'm sure it will be back next week or by friday after the subs of episode 2 come out again.
Old 2011-04-17, 11:35   Link #1239
Qikz

I just watched the first episode, pretty awesome and I really enjoyed it. Cute girls, guns and a cool protagonist? I'm in.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:24   Link #1240
Jarmel

The male protagonist is the only reason I have any interest in the show at all.

I did laugh my head off though at the Segways of Doom.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere