AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-04-23, 20:30   Link #1
otakunater

Question 3X3 eyes

hey, I recently read a bit on this series and I have a few questians: 1) does it have good character development (keep in mind that I'm a noob and can be more easily satisfied than some of the seasoned otaku I may be talking to) 2) which is preferable, the manga or the fansubs, and 3) where can I find the fansubs.

PS. don't anyone go tellin' me it's licenced this time cuz I checked BOTH the lists and it's not on it!
otakunater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 20:39   Link #2
skreech
Aspiring Mangaka/Animator

Send a message via MSN to skreech
Quote:
Originally Posted by otakunater
hey, I recently read a bit on this series and I have a few questians: 1) does it have good character development (keep in mind that I'm a noob and can be more easily satisfied than some of the seasoned otaku I may be talking to) 2) which is preferable, the manga or the fansubs, and 3) where can I find the fansubs.

PS. don't anyone go tellin' me it's licenced this time cuz I checked BOTH the lists and it's not on it!
Sorry to say but actually it is lisenced by Geneon Entertainment and appeared on the Action channel about six months ago. The OVA is also lisenced Geneon.
skreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 20:41   Link #3
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
But it is licenced: 3 x 3 Eyes DVD Collection (Hyb), it has been out for some time, which is why it may not be not the lists. I have had my copy for over 3 years now.

I liked it, it has been awhile since I saw it, but I think it did a decient job with the character development. I never read the manga so I don't know how that is.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 20:45   Link #4
otakunater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
But it is licenced: 3 x 3 Eyes DVD Collection (Hyb), it has been out for some time, which is why it may not be not the lists. I have had my copy for over 3 years now.

I liked it, it has been awhile since I saw it, but I think it did a decient job with the character development. I never read the manga so I don't know how that is.
cr*p! well that sucks, well in that case does anyone know a good place to order the mangas over the internet, preferably something that uses canadian currency?
Old 2004-04-23, 22:49   Link #5
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

the manga is vastly better (and longer, and gorier) than the anime
there's around 40 volumes of the manga and about ~7 eps of the anime...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 16:08   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakunater
cr*p! well that sucks, well in that case does anyone know a good place to order the mangas over the internet, preferably something that uses canadian currency?
Go down to your local comic book store, and order it through them.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 16:49   Link #7
Evan
天使我爱你

I was even hoping for a longer story though,Since all the manga was realeased and the story ended...
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 17:50   Link #8
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

The anime is really good. There are two parts to it, each a couple episodes long, because they were both made a few years apart. Without going into too much detail about the show, the first part sets the pace for the story and by itself is an ok OVA. The second part is where 3x3 Eyes really shines, the comedy, action, and drama is all stepped up a couple levels and is really a good watch. Yakumo Fujii is one of my favorite anime characters because of his natural sense "Ah well, I might as well do X since I can't do Y."

There's a box set out somewhere are some stores, selling both parts in one complete set for a bundle of cash. The character development is rather difficult to follow since the two parts were created years apart, and because in their own portions the first part and the second part are only a couple of episodes long. The second part is a continuation of the first part, and does show some charater maturation with Yakumo... (the other characters would, but I can't reveal why). The villains in the second part are much more fierce and the level of action (along with the level of bloodshed) rises just as much. It's a fun series, but don't expect too much out of it considering how little of a following it originally had ten years ago, and how little of a following it still has today.

The manga, beware, is very, very long. If you are going to collect all 30+ volumes of it, make sure you save all of your money under the couch, in the jar and in your socks.
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 00:57   Link #9
Kyuven

the saddest part is...Dark Horse has STILL only released 8 or 9 volumes (i saw 3x3 eyes vol. 1 (english) when i bought my first manga...)
oh, and it's flipped and the sound effects are changed
Old 2004-04-26, 19:38   Link #10
otakunater

ok, I think it sounds to me like the manga would be more satasfying to me, but it might be more finacially sensable to buy a dvd player and then the dvd, am I right?
Old 2004-04-27, 11:54   Link #11
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakunator
ok, I think it sounds to me like the manga would be more satasfying to me, but it might be more finacially sensable to buy a dvd player and then the dvd, am I right?
More or less...

You could get a decent(read:cheap) DVD player for about $60-$65 Canadian at a place like WalMart and the DVDs will set you back about $80 Canadian.

Total = ~$150 Canadian

The mangas will set you back by about $21 Canadian a volume.

Total (8 x $21) = ~$170 Canadian
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 06:09   Link #12
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

The Sazan Eyes (3x3 Eyes) manga kind of loses its way through some of the earlier volumes, so please dont judge the whole series on these and stick with it!Bear in mind that things only really start to take off after volume 12 or so and boy are you in for one hell of a ride!

Also there were rumours about 4 years ago of a possible TV Series, however I think the outcome at the time was that the content was too graphic for Television, however with some of the recent shows showing a mature theme perhaps there is hope in the future for a project (which would be awesome).
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 15:29   Link #13
otakunater

ok, thx for giving all your opinions people, bye
Old 2004-04-30, 00:41   Link #14
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
More or less...

You could get a decent(read:cheap) DVD player for about $60-$65 Canadian at a place like WalMart and the DVDs will set you back about $80 Canadian.

Total = ~$150 Canadian

The mangas will set you back by about $21 Canadian a volume.

Total (8 x $21) = ~$170 Canadian
actually you can get all 3x3 Eyes OVAs for about 40 bucks if you shop in the right place
but if you pay less than ~$50 for a DVD player, it's probably used, stolen, broken, or all of the above