AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2015-08-04, 04:12   Link #1961
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
In addition to placing thin layers GN Fields of GN Field within the armor, the MG Exia manual hinted that the entire Gundam's surface area armor is covered by some thin layer of GN Field that helps protect or againts attacks. This presumably is the biggest separator between the E-Carbon used by the blocs and Celestial Being. This is also probably why the Gundams can re-enter the atmosphere with nary a scratch.

The solid GN Swords also apply a GN Field on the blade. This greatly amplifies the sword's sharpness and allows them to penetrate the barrier GN Fields.

This is not to say that normal E-Carbon is weak despite them pretty much getting destroyed by beams easily. E-Carbon has been stated to be ten times as strong as regular Carbon Nanotubes - and those things are ridiculously strong.

E-Carbon is also why mobile suits (and mobile armors) became so widespread in the 00 world (mobile suits in 00's world originated from the humanoid machines used to construct the orbital elevators). Only they can actually equip themselves with E-Carbon which is apparently heavy, and carry the weapons that can penetrate them. As a result the idea of only mobile suits being able to beat mobile suits became widespread and their numbers surged. They were also made to protect the Elevators and the reason why most of them fall into the 15-20 meter height range was because it was determined that it was the best height to move around the Elevators in their guard duties. This is also why we see almost all combat vehicles being based on mobile suits and mobile armors (like how Union tanks are basically a Realdo's torso with hover jets)

Last edited by SonicSP; 2015-08-04 at 08:41.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 09:12   Link #1962
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I don't think anyone's really done a full explanation on why Luna Titanium (later Gundarium) is stronger than normal Titanium. Titanium is an element, so I think "Luna Titanium" is probably just a refined element or possibly an alloy. In later Gundam series (F90 onward I think) it then switches to Gundarium and Ceramaic Composites--mainly because beam weapons make it pointless in tryign to increase armor strength, so lighter armor and ability to dissapate heat (ceramics) is more valued.

I'm actually more inclined ot believe that E-Carbon may not be stronger than Luna Titanium/Gundarium, but it might be more plausible IRL. Plausible--not necessarily likely but more plausible. And in-universe it kind of makes sense--most Space Elevators in Science Fiction used Carbon nanotubes in construction. Being the strognest possbile manmade material, and not only being strogn burt very light, it woudl make sense that mobile suits would use this as it's armor sections.

Bugger. (goes back to drinking)
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 09:33   Link #1963
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
just realized Ironman's larger armors are as close to in having a live action Gundam movie compared to Pacific Rim, assuming the weight of the metal isn't affected when working under earth's gravity compared to the weightlessness of space & the power to support the said armor by its motors & engines, i don't want to pilot a freakishly heavy unit that had its speed performance declined under terrain with gravity, being sitting ducks for fast cannon pot shots everywhere
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 05:57   Link #1964
Chibiloli

Does anybody here have any idea who Lady Kawaguchi's real identity is? The question is killing me ever since I saw her.
Old 2015-09-09, 10:54   Link #1965
Chibiloli

Does anybody here know what the Blaze system on the Wing Zero Honoo is? I'm just wondering what it does since I make it a point to familiarize myself with the special features of the Gunpla I buy.
Old 2015-09-09, 13:41   Link #1966
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Far as I can tell, an enhancement system similar to the RG System used on the Star Build Strike and Build Burning Gundam.
Old 2015-09-10, 05:26   Link #1967
Chibiloli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Far as I can tell, an enhancement system similar to the RG System used on the Star Build Strike and Build Burning Gundam.
So fiery flames like Build Burning?

And with the advent of stronger beam weapons in most Gundam universes, what is the best type of defensive measures against them? Be it alloy or Anti-Beam coating or some sort of energy shield.
Old 2015-09-13, 07:04   Link #1968
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibiloli View Post
So fiery flames like Build Burning?

And with the advent of stronger beam weapons in most Gundam universes, what is the best type of defensive measures against them? Be it alloy or Anti-Beam coating or some sort of energy shield.
In Gundam 00, their own GN Fields appears to be the best counter to beam weapons although a super strong beam beam will still work through a weak powered GN Field. But it has advantage in its universe on a "rock-paper-scissor" basis. This can be further augmented by having GN Field-based armor or Anti-Beam Coating.

So yeah an energy shield.
Old 2015-09-13, 07:09   Link #1969
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Problem with beam shields is that you can still overload them. A sufficiently powerful or concentrated beam can punch through a Beam Shield (like the VSBRs of the Gundam F91). Also, a Beam Shield uses up a LOT of energy so most MS using Beam Shields often only deploy them in the heat of battle; eg unlike a physical shield which is carried on the back or left arm and always has one side relatively protected from sneak attack. That's not even considering the fact that Beam Shields glow due to the energy they put out--making you a very nice well-lit target in space when you're flying around.

GN Fields in 00 Gundam are a bit different as they're more like a sphere of GN particles. They're also limited by the amount of GN particles that can be put out and as said in 00 canon, a physical sword (a GN-lined physical sword at least) actually has a better chance of penetrating a GN Field than ranged beam weaponry.

There's also a case for a physical shield: a physical shield can be used to carry extra weaponry and ammo, as shown in the case of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II and later on the Nu Gundam. The ultimate expression of physical shields as a weapon assist system was the Full Armor Unicorn Gundam's Gatling-equipped shields.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-13, 08:24   Link #1970
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
GN Fields in 00 Gundam are a bit different as they're more like a sphere of GN particles. They're also limited by the amount of GN particles that can be put out and as said in 00 canon, a physical sword (a GN-lined physical sword at least) actually has a better chance of penetrating a GN Field than ranged beam weaponry.
I don't know, GN Fields were able to defend against most of the beam attacks in 00 minus the super weapons like the Raiser Sword (Empruss). It would answer the question on as a good defense against beams pretty well I think though not perfectly.

And while there's probably a discerning limit somehow, their defense can be strengthened by increasing the GN Particle compression rate used in them. This happened with Virtue in S1-21 where the GN-X' beam rifle was able to nullify it quickly because Virtue set the particle compression to low to save particles as its default setting. On the next encounter and after Tieria used a higher setting, multiple GN-Xs shot at Virtue's field repeatedly and had almost no effect. The GNHW/B equipment for Seravee also had new GN Field generators which suggest that it can be strengthened further and Seravee has blocked some pretty good beam attacks with its field before.

It's not a perfect mechanism since it can be countered by GN Field-based solid swords and GN Missiles as you said, but I would say it's extremely helpful overall. GN Missiles have very limited ammo and solid swords can be defended against with beam sabers while the GN Field handles the larger beam attacks.

That said, I think a bigger limitation of them would be the presumed particle consumption rates, which presumably why their far from ubiquitous in 00. Even Kyrios has a GN Field and only used it once on the ground when it was pinned down in the desert. Presumably it just didn't have the reserves to use it as much in it normal battles where it's better for it to avoid things. Masurao and Susanowo also was also equipped with them and didn't use them. So maybe the best defense is just mobility.

Still they can be combined with other things though like having physical shields that can deploy the GN Field barriers. Presumably this is something that covers less area but saves more energy. The weakest version of a GNMS would be the GN Field armor defense systems already equipped on most of the GNMS.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2015-09-13 at 08:42.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 04:26   Link #1971
Chibiloli

Yeah, remind me again, how does somebody like Relena convince a bunch of people to agree with her rather ridiculous pleas for peace? Marina and that new girl from IBO don't have such luck, what makes Relena so special? I mean seriously, her first scene makes her look crazy, right after Heero runs from her she just stands there, outstretches her hand and says "My name's Relena, what is yours?" to absolutely nobody because Heero's off the damn base in an ambulance by then! She's a windbag with her head in the clouds and no realistic goals or plans. She just goes "Stop fighting and everything will be alright!", Not even considering that there are things which cause the fighting that won't end just because people drop their guns.
Old 2015-10-18, 11:29   Link #1972
Chibiloli

Was there any character in gundam who proclaims messages of peace yet schemes to gain more power to his/herself instead? All while keeping an appearance of a peace lover?
Old 2015-10-18, 13:06   Link #1973
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Your best bet would probably be Victory Gundam's Fonse Kagatie.
Old 2015-10-18, 15:31   Link #1974
Tenzen12

Quote:
Your best bet would probably be Victory Gundam's Fonse Kagatie.
Wasn't that bishonen from Destiny same way?
Old 2015-10-18, 17:00   Link #1975
monster

Well, peace and power aren't really contradictory concepts. You need power to hold the peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Wasn't that bishonen from Destiny same way?
In that case, he openly asked for power.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 13:19   Link #1976
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

So what feat exactly did Char pull off at the Battle of Loum that made him so famous? IIRC that's where he got the Red Comet moniker, but I can't seem to find any details about what he did on the wiki and such.
Old 2015-10-20, 13:32   Link #1977
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
So what feat exactly did Char pull off at the Battle of Loum that made him so famous? IIRC that's where he got the Red Comet moniker, but I can't seem to find any details about what he did on the wiki and such.
IIRC it’s because he sunk several EF’s ships by himself with his Red Zaku (of course with three times the speed of normal Zaku ). It’s also during that time that the Black Tri-Stars got their scary reputation coz they easily sunk Ananke and captured the famous General Revil of EF. I think it's more or less like what we saw in the intro of Blue-Eyed Casval OVA.
Old 2015-10-31, 02:16   Link #1978
Chibiloli

Anybody know when the Build Fighters OVA comes out? I'm hoping it finally answers the question that's been killing me:

Spoiler for Who watches the Meijin's?:
Old 2015-12-15, 06:48   Link #1979
Chibiloli

Yeah, working on my fic and I gotta ask, what is Mina Carmine's connection to Nena Trinity aside from VA's and similar looks?
Old 2015-12-15, 10:28   Link #1980
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Her ancestors donated genetic material to Aeolia Schenberg/Celestial Being for the plan. Said genetic material was eventually used to create the Trinity siblings. It is otherwise a coincidence that Mina and Nena look exactly the same, but they're related by DNA. The main difference, of course, is that Mina is a human being, while Nena is an Innovade.