AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-08-01, 04:03   Link #7741
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ironically, despite all the whining about it, the rise of the Nanoha fandom didn't happen until StrikerS.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 05:28   Link #7742
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Yep. I still recall Triad dropping StrikerS in a hissy fit because there wasn't enough loli. Oh well.

Personally, despite the flaws in StrikerS, I rather enjoy not feeling like a dirty pedo while watching my anime.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 05:46   Link #7743
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Yep. I still recall Triad dropping StrikerS in a hissy fit because there wasn't enough loli. Oh well.
Not really. The TRAINING episodes that seemed to not end killed Triad's motivation.

Back in the day, before StrikerS, an image macro described Nanoha as shounen without its bullshit tropes, such as the training episodes. Now, it is much a shounen, the manag even had a tournament chapter.

The problem is how to handle the conventions of the genre. If the training was for nothing (as in the hero STILL GET OWNED by the bad guy instead of doing better, if not marginally), it would be like Dragon Ball, Naruto and Bleach.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 05:55   Link #7744
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I don't recall fanfiction ever falling once hitting critical mass, though I know that the output starts getting mired with junk once things get long enough...
Old 2009-08-01, 06:36   Link #7745
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I don't recall fanfiction ever falling once hitting critical mass, though I know that the output starts getting mired with junk once things get long enough...
Then you clearly aren’t very observant.

Fanfiction always peeks shortly after something comes out, most of this goes no where and the vast majority of people bugger off quickly to the next fad. This leaves a smaller core group that writes for longer, but will still move on eventually. Only a very select few franchise can claim to have a continuing high output of fan content over extended periods of time. The biggest thing about such franchise is they all tend to be ongoing and constantly releasing new official content. This not only helps keep previous fans, but also attracts a stream of new ones to keep the talent pool full.

Stand alone series can be popular for a time, but if they finish and the author moves on and no new material is forthcoming you can expect the fandom to have a half-life of perhaps five years at best, a bit more if the series was very influential. People may well still like it, but they won’t keep producing new fan material for it in any significant quantity after a few years and the trickle of new people discovering it later won’t be able to counter the brain drain of the “old guard” leaving.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 07:06   Link #7746
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

As is what happened with Eva. After Rakna, Strike Fiss and Random were done, the Eva fandom shrunk.

Though things might heat up with the movies though...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-08-01, 10:15   Link #7747
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Spoiler for With nothing better to do atm..:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 11:52   Link #7748
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
From the view of a member of the Cancri State, it comes forth as a promised land, a nation and state where everyone is an equal. In its current utopian state there is no poverty, no racism and no corruption. Freedom is available to anyone and everyone has the right to make their voice heard inside the State.
Man, that's one hell of a propaganda machine running... and I haven't even gotten to the rest of the description to tell you that's a load of HORSESH*T!

Utoptia? No racism? No poverty? Nore Corruption?

What do these people take? Injections of emotion stopper chemical like in Equalibrium? Because the very Nature of the Human Animal makes anything short of a Totalitarian/Military Enforced regime running said 'Utopia' completely impossible.

*Reads the rest.*

I didn't think so.

Time to make them all hate us for their own good. Commence Attack!
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 18:54   Link #7749
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Then you clearly aren’t very observant.

Fanfiction always peeks shortly after something comes out, most of this goes no where and the vast majority of people bugger off quickly to the next fad. This leaves a smaller core group that writes for longer, but will still move on eventually. Only a very select few franchise can claim to have a continuing high output of fan content over extended periods of time. The biggest thing about such franchise is they all tend to be ongoing and constantly releasing new official content. This not only helps keep previous fans, but also attracts a stream of new ones to keep the talent pool full.

Stand alone series can be popular for a time, but if they finish and the author moves on and no new material is forthcoming you can expect the fandom to have a half-life of perhaps five years at best, a bit more if the series was very influential. People may well still like it, but they won’t keep producing new fan material for it in any significant quantity after a few years and the trickle of new people discovering it later won’t be able to counter the brain drain of the “old guard” leaving.
It shows how long a time since I've trolled fanfiction.net...
Old 2009-08-01, 20:16   Link #7750
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

One thing that helps a particular fandom is a dedicated community.

ASMR (A Sailor Moon Romance) operated for a considerable amount of time after its release...
The site slowely fell into 'disrepair' because the owners stopped updating. However, fiction and random rabid forum goers continued to visit the site until its termination in 2006. And there's still some fandom out there producing art content, though scattered. I haven't bothered looking myself. But I recall there's still active sites lurking here and there.

If Sailor Moon was released around 1993 or so... That makes that particular fandom about sixteen.

That's a pretty good run with a half-life of eight years. Then again, it's a 200 episode series, a large manga, has several movies, and they just revitalized it with the Live Action... (Which I will not watch because I take one look at Japanese live action ANYTHING that doesn't involve godzilla and want to slam my head into a concrete wall at 200 MPH. It's like they have this block in the brain that prevents them from blending false components with the real action. Haven't they heard of Green Screen?)

So it's had an IV in it keeping it active.
Old 2009-08-01, 23:41   Link #7751
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I believe a certain someone would scream "YUU DONT HAFU SENTAI SPIRITO!!!" right at this moment.
Old 2009-08-01, 23:55   Link #7752
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

*BANG!*
"Spirit doesn't stop bullets."

Random Rider: X_x

EDIT: As not to double post...
Here's another segment as the fight continues between Crash and the Forwards... After managing to get one up on Erio, Subaru catches up, and this will follow up with Tia near the end of this segment. I'm trying to maintain a certain aptitude of near-match one-up in Crash's favor single on, but with things falling apart for him as they manage to tag team him. Keep me informed.

Spoiler for Continuing on:

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2009-08-02 at 01:05.
Old 2009-08-02, 10:22   Link #7753
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
lol @ Subaru's failed FALCON PAUNCH
Old 2009-08-03, 02:00   Link #7754
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

It's because she isn't a certain semi-retired Combat Instructor that her falcon punch failed...

Afterall, Falcon Punch cannot beat the awesomeness of Rider Kick Black. >:3

Sorry Aaron, the crack drew me in and wouldn't let go.

Next up! New mage plan! Combat Instructor Kotaro Minami!

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-08-03, 09:42   Link #7755
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
And now, with the power to travel across the voids of the cosmos, no world will go safe when, not if, the Cancri State decides to expand. Their corruption will grow longer and more powerful. They will get what they want, by force or otherwise. There is no middle-ground in the long term.[/SPOILER]
You mean, the thing's basically the stereotype of the Soviet Union, though the propaganda program might have worked better...
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 09:45   Link #7756
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

You could say that, yes. It's one source I draw inspiration from.

Old 2009-08-03, 11:54   Link #7757
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
It's because she isn't a certain semi-retired Combat Instructor that her falcon punch failed...

Afterall, Falcon Punch cannot beat the awesomeness of Rider Kick Black. >:3

Sorry Aaron, the crack drew me in and wouldn't let go.

Next up! New mage plan! Combat Instructor Kotaro Minami!
Obviously, Subaru should have went the Ultraman route.

SPECIUM RAY!
Old 2009-08-04, 17:40   Link #7758
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Since Goose is going to continue the Mio half of things on his side, I've been doing some more thinking on the Next Generation for Keroko on my side. As I've always said that Yuunoko would be my main ship if NanoFate was ever made canon, I went thinking what a child between these two could be.

The result is as interesting as it is terrifying.

Spoiler for The devil child? The terror of dragons?:
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 17:58   Link #7759
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Oh my god I think we need to evacuate Mid-Childa.

Old 2009-08-04, 18:27   Link #7760
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
I'm starting to think Kero doesn't like Mid very much since he plans on unleashing that.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content