AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 00:35   Link #1
Sasano

Recommendations ?

Hi like I said on my introduction, I have started watching anime more frequently now, basking in this...forbidden fruit.

But anyways the few I have watched previous to this was mostly good old Shounen? Badasses fighting badasses for some random but not as important reason as the characters and fighting scenes themselves...Anyways I've recently gotten into more questionable genre...Dramas and such...I just finished watching Toradora...& Kyoran Kazoku Nikki...and I liked them?

Anyways I'd be great if anyone can just throw some good suggestions..dont make a list please )_)...just one or two that'd you personally recommend to a shounen guy who is...experimenting ?

And a more detailed liking would be...Character Development..A good cast is essential for me watching anything the plot isn't even that important or the action('tis the reason I dont watch bleach)

Pet peeve : Unrealistic or Perfect Characters/Personas (I.G. Ichigo).
Old 2009-05-21, 02:17   Link #2
oompa loompa

you might want to give us a list of what you've watched.. 'drama' is a fairly broad category, and its highly possible you've already seen a lot of the shows that will be mentioned. Heres some that may have overlapped -

Off the top of my head.. shows which got me very emotionally involved.. Eureka Seven? I guess its mech, but a fantastic story, as well as having great characters. I guess the same goes for other similar ones - RahXepheon or NGE. FMP TSR! (the rest of FMP was good, but to me TSR was at a different level..) was pretty damn good in my opinion, although it is fairly mech/shonen.

Err other shows other shows.. if you havnt already seen them, you should give shows along the lines of Elfen Lied or Higurashi a try, theyre pretty damn good for emotional involvement. for a shonen guy whos experimenting these are all right up your alley.

As far as romance is concerned, there are plentyy, both old and new. My favorite 'older' one would have to be Maison Ikkoku, while newer would be Toradora! ( but since you've already seen it..) perhaps you should give Itazura na Kiss a try? Mmm.. Of course one show that I found that a wide range of audiences would like is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you havnt already seen it.

I guess I can relate, I was only into shonen i.e. bleach naruto etc, but decided to try something different to see how it went - School Rumble was the show that broke me out of shonen and into all the other great stuff thats out there.
Old 2009-05-21, 03:04   Link #3
denice25

try the Eureka Seven..
Old 2009-05-21, 03:04   Link #4
blewin

I second Eureka Seven. It's a mix of mecha/action/drama/romance/comedy, all beautifully executed with fantastic music, plot, character development and character mix. Great animes are hard to find these days. What I also like about E7 is the parallel character development of the main protagonist (a younger guy) and his older counterpart. I think Holland (that's the older counterpart) is just as central to E7 and Renton's character development as Renton the main protagonist himself. Very interesting take there. Shows even adults can be babies.... haha. No jokes... Most of the adults are immature.

I also second Full Metal Panic (FMP as mentioned above). It's mecha/school life/drama/romance/comedy (wow, same as Eureka Seven, almost). You get your usual Jap high school setting, but that setting changes since Souske is a soldier and has to balance between getting sent to the front line and protecting this girl in a normal school. The dynamics between characters are fabulous. The sequel is Full Metal Panic Second Raid. I agree with oompa here. It's different in how serious it is, and the emotions of the characters are much more indepth than in FMP. I'm not sure whether it'd has as much impact if someone who hasn't seen FMP goes straight to TSR, but to me, TSR is way above average. Excellent anime.

For more down to earth, ordinary life drama, you might want to try Honey and Clover, Genshiken or Nodame Cantabile. Real life issues, great character mix and character concerns, realistic portrayals of characters and their anxieties... oh, all college aged though.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-05-21, 03:07   Link #5
Exar Kun
The Abyssal Sith Lord

I'll recommend you two of my favourite anime.

Kanon 2006 - my absolute favourite, best drama I've ever seen. It has a magical atmosphere, well portrayed emotions, tears mixed with laughter and losts of supernatural elements.

Twelve Kingdoms - you don't get better character development than this. Great series placed in a huge and complex fantasy world.
Old 2009-05-21, 13:51   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku is romantic comedy, noted for it's extensive but subtle character development.

Starblazers is a space epic, but I always loved the characters most.
Old 2009-05-21, 14:10   Link #7
AznTri-Angel

samurai champloo
Old 2009-05-21, 15:44   Link #8
qwertyuiopz

awesome character developments:

ghost hound
clannad
school rumble
school days
overdrive

its in order from the most realistic
check their ops out
Old 2009-05-21, 18:52   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My first suggestion would be Monster. It has drama, character development, and some action, and though it spans 74 episodes, they all move the story forward. With one exception all the principal characters are adults.

Another vote for Twelve Kingdoms; I agree with Exar Kun that there's no better example of character development in the shows I've watched.
Old 2009-05-21, 19:15   Link #10
Sasano

Oh! Thanks for all the suggestions! everybody I think by popular demand I'll check out Eureka first,I saw few eps on Adult swim but I could never get into it because I could never get it from the start..anyways it kinda reminds me of a modernized Evangelion..in away...

I'm also interested in 12kingdom & FMP with the suggestions..But I have this page favorited so I'll just keep checking on the names here as I keep browsing.

Again Thank you for all the contributions!
Old 2009-05-21, 19:45   Link #11
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasano View Post
Oh! Thanks for all the suggestions! everybody I think by popular demand I'll check out Eureka first,I saw few eps on Adult swim but I could never get into it because I could never get it from the start..anyways it kinda reminds me of a modernized Evangelion..in away...

I'm also interested in 12kingdom & FMP with the suggestions..But I have this page favorited so I'll just keep checking on the names here as I keep browsing.

Again Thank you for all the contributions!
also dont be put off by the first 15 episodes or so , it will begin to pick up very fast after that
Closed Thread