Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-10-30, 23:28   Link #1081
wAzure
Yaya's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
no most of all i agree with you, but the problem here is exactly with TLC process, most of the time i feel that TLC is more tiring than TL itself and finding someone willing to TLC isn't exactly that easy. So he should be at least at a level where mistakes is limited to a certain degree where it's don't take much time on TLC, but only 1 year is too soon for me.
I wanted to quote your original post, but I guess there's no big difference.

Being perfectly reasonable, what you say is probably true most of the time, but not exactly something set in stone. It is possible to start translating even only after having no more than one year worth of experience.

It really is up to the person. Nothing is really impossible, and if he's willing to take a chance translating a LN using whatever he had already learned in that year, it is a good way to keep improving.

History had already proven the fact that there were human beings in this earth that could learn 1-2 languages in only one day and use them to an almost perfect degree. One year is perfectly reasonable for someone actually trying.

There's nothing that is almost impossible actually.

Quote:
the problem here is Grammar.
By the way, Japanese grammar isn’t hard at all. Not if you compare it with the English or Spanish ones.

Quote:
it's too high of a bar for you at the moment. You should try to read Manga in Japanese first before taking shot at a novel.
This is going to sound blunt too, but you can't decide that for him. I've translated harder things with less than one year of experience, and while they were not perfect at that time, they helped me a lot, but I could definitely do it. They were precious practice experience that got me to the point of pretty much being able to translate whatever showed up in front of me, given enough time and context.

English is yet another one of the languages I could roughly master in under a year, I'm not a native speaker at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami_Sama View Post
Yeah I know your just giving advice and i appreciate it. Yeah i know its above me but like i said this is a series i've been dying to read since the spoilers. As for reading raw manga I do that on a daily basis. http://raw.senmanga.com/ After my lessons every day I go on that site and try to read any of the new releases or I'll just jump to something like Kingdom and see if i can read the latest chapter then compare what i read to the already translated version.
Just going to take a guess here, but I say you should give it a go. You will probably have to carefully think whether to make it public or not, but you should at least try. Nothing bad will come out of it.

Last edited by wAzure; 2014-10-30 at 23:45.
wAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-30, 23:38   Link #1082
Kami_Sama
自分は世界の髪

Quote:
Originally Posted by wAzure View Post
I wanted to quote your original post, but I guess there's no big difference.

Being perfectly reasonable, what you say is probably true most of the time, but not exactly something set in stone. It is possible to start translating even only after having no more than one year worth of experience.

It really is up to the person. Nothing is really impossible, and if he's willing to take a chance translating a LN using whatever he had already learned in that year, it is a good way to keep improving.

History had already proved the fact that there were human beings in this earth that could learn 1-2 languages in only one day and use them to an almost perfect degree. One year is perfectly reasonable for someone actually trying.

There's nothing that is almost impossible actually.

By the way, Japanese grammar isn’t hard at all. Not if you compare it with the English or Spanish ones.

This is going to sound blunt too, but you can't decide that for him. I've translated harder things with less than one year of experience, and while they were not perfect at that time, they helped me a lot, but I could definitely do it. They were precious practice experience that got me to the point of pretty much being able to translate whatever pops out in front of me, given enough time and context.

English is yet another one of the languages I could master in under a year, I'm not a native speaker at all.

Just going to take a guess here, but I say you should give it a go. You will probably have to carefully think whether to make it public or not, but you should at least try. Nothing bad will come out of it.
Thank you for your advice as well and tbh I plan to translate it in my spare time, but until i have a better understanding of Grammar I'm going to keep it private. Once i feel at least semi comfortable with the grammar i'll go back and check all my work and after edits, if no one else translated it I'll post them. But Dragon may have been blunt in his advice but it wasnt bad advice and I'm one who prefers that kind of advice. I'm definitely not ready for actual translation so I understand why mistranslating it would be really bad. Better to take the long route and give quality translations than the quick route and create misunderstandings through mistranslatations. xD So if no one steps up to the plate, look to hear back from me in the future Whether it be soon or far from now I'm unsure, though its most likely the latter hahah xD
Kami_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-30, 23:57   Link #1083
Nagakun
The One who Peek

Dragon just being straightforward which isn't wrong.

Just learn along the way and the one who will thank you is the one who get to read it hahaha
Old 2014-10-31, 05:11   Link #1084
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by wAzure View Post
snip
like i said in my original post, he should go for it if he somehow have a TLC which could partially correct him. The biggest problem, like i said as well, do not lies in the fact that whether he makes mistakes or not but whether he can recognized the that he make a mistake to correct it. In all the cases i have seen, most TL with low experiences do not realize he make a mistake, and in some case where they realized something is off or seen a new grammar they never seen before, they have a tendency to reach out to the MTL since it much easier to find someone to TLC for you and this escalate quick until they start relying more and more on MTL, here
Quote:
And of course, if you are willing to actually google the grammar instead of relying on MTL and found someone TLC for you, then go for it.
Japanese Grammar itself isn't hard, i agree, but they are extremely confusing. there are about 6-7 forms use for conditional clause and this is already not counting combinations and variations. And this is a novel to boot, there is a lot of descriptive sentences, which is near non-existence in manga.

I agree that i shouldn't decide for him, and i never do so, i only purely stated advice and opinion out of all example i have seen, if i have to put out a range, then he at least should reach at least past all the conditional, probability and target indicate grammar, since pretty much most type of grammar after that is their variation or other forms.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-31, 05:25   Link #1085
chad001
Happy-End Totalitarian

Why not just let him do it? He doesn't have to be THE official translator, and no one particularly has to step aside if they get there, but let him do it. Let him practice, and output what he makes, worst case, we don't like it, and someone else translates it again, but at least he gets the practice in right?
chad001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-31, 05:31   Link #1086
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad001 View Post
Why not just let him do it? He doesn't have to be THE official translator, and no one particularly has to step aside if they get there, but let him do it. Let him practice, and output what he makes, worst case, we don't like it, and someone else translates it again, but at least he gets the practice in right?
translate something that already get translated isn't easy as you might think, seen Mushoku tensei thread?? the MTL there is so bad that many translator gone away. what you said is akin making people to clean up other people mess.

And for the record, i never completely against anyone to translate, but like i said, he need, someway or another, a method to at least recognized he make a mistake if he make one.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 03:35   Link #1087
travelingbum

well I guess we won't be get spoiled with vol summaries on page 4 anymore. kancolle..... wonder if people going to like shirocolle
------------------------------

wondering if I should go and check out the sayonara ryuusei thing again and go at it with my terrible engrish if needed..... (Coming from a guy that has 0 people/language skills. Only good thing back then was that the subs/translations did not suck like what we see today)

since my quality alone is like a last resort if google failed or something. (I'm starting to feel like it's better somehow after seeing terrible jobs done by people that earn money doing it)
travelingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 16:21   Link #1088
dracorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingbum View Post
well I guess we won't be get spoiled with vol summaries on page 4 anymore. kancolle..... wonder if people going to like shirocolle
------------------------------

wondering if I should go and check out the sayonara ryuusei thing again and go at it with my terrible engrish if needed..... (Coming from a guy that has 0 people/language skills. Only good thing back then was that the subs/translations did not suck like what we see today)

since my quality alone is like a last resort if google failed or something. (I'm starting to feel like it's better somehow after seeing terrible jobs done by people that earn money doing it)
Did Lantern stop his summaries?
Old 2014-11-26, 02:37   Link #1089
extremexecutor

can i get rokujouma no shinryakusha english on this site cause i cant read hiragana, katakana, nor kanji so if someone have it can you share it with me cause i want to read it so badly
extremexecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-26, 03:09   Link #1090
travelingbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremexecutor View Post
can i get rokujouma no shinryakusha english on this site cause i cant read hiragana, katakana, nor kanji so if someone have it can you share it with me cause i want to read it so badly
does not exist... so you would have to do with the summaries on page 4.

well there is vol1 ch1 but that is all.
Old 2014-11-26, 03:33   Link #1091
extremexecutor

Quote:
does not exist... so you would have to do with the summaries on page 4.

well there is vol1 ch1 but that is all.
ahhh~ are you sure ? i really want to read it i have the raw but i cant read it at all
Old 2014-11-26, 05:13   Link #1092
NovelReader

Quote:
ahhh~ are you sure ? i really want to read it i have the raw but i cant read it at all
MT it. Then you can read it.
NovelReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-26, 22:40   Link #1093
extremexecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelReader View Post
MT it. Then you can read it.
if i have money to take a course or buy this book then i wouldn't worry but i'am like kotarou i'm poor doesn't have money at all
Old 2014-11-26, 23:20   Link #1094
cloud04
Scanlator

Quote:
if i have money to take a course or buy this book then i wouldn't worry but i'am like kotarou i'm poor doesn't have money at all
its gonna take awhile to actually read it though
Old 2014-11-28, 01:19   Link #1095
ZeKeR
Superbad

the guy rolling with cautr's team translating the LN bowed out since I think the TLer said that they had RL issues avalanche-ing their bit.

that aside, v18 is sure to have the whole "who gets Mr. Satomi's approval on who will be his officially recognized girlfriend"
Old 2014-11-28, 01:21   Link #1096
travelingbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
the guy rolling with cautr's team translating the LN bowed out since I think the TLer said that they had RL issues avalanche-ing their bit.

that aside, v18 is sure to have the whole "who gets Mr. Satomi's approval on who will be his officially recognized girlfriend"
if you properly read it... it was only a 1 ch thing. that is all.

they also have other 1 ch things too.

so consider it a teaser to see if anyone likes it enough to do it themselves.
Old 2014-11-28, 02:29   Link #1097
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
if you properly read it... it was only a 1 ch thing. that is all.

they also have other 1 ch things too.

so consider it a teaser to see if anyone likes it enough to do it themselves.
No, it was not. They announced Rokujouma as an official project. The translator got busy and entered on an indefinite hiatus. Cautr posted this over Guhere.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-29, 02:47   Link #1098
extremexecutor

arrrrrgggghhhh what should i do! i trying TLing by myself but the result is really unreadable TT.TT
Old 2014-11-29, 03:02   Link #1099
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
arrrrrgggghhhh what should i do! i trying TLing by myself but the result is really unreadable TT.TT
if its google's MT, that will be gritty.

on the other hand, if you can TL it, have some proofreaders to brofist with to help you.
Old 2014-11-29, 08:31   Link #1100
Atrum023
Eternal Silence

Quote:
You're not the only one that wants this translated, really. Although I've released some translations in the past pages or so, I'm not confident with my own skill regarding the language to actually fully translate this novel.

I am translating it for fun (not much though, mainly Volume 13), although I keep most of the stuff that I've done to myself since I'm not satisfied with it. The best you can do is wait, or just read through MT - as horrendous as that is.

Tags
aliens, comedy, fantasy, harem, harmonious relationship, knights, magical girls, romance, shounen, time travel