AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-15, 00:26   Link #61
solomon

A tad off topic, I saw the first 5 minutes of the original anime film on Youtube and the films original theatrical trailer (seems suprisingly well done for an old toei douga film in that it ACTUALLY LOOKS WELL PRODUCED ) and read a review at anime jump that went a little bit into the story. Im definetly interested in the show now. good old fashioined epic space opera, just like the good ol days (and im not even that old )
Plus seeing the mangaka's original designs, i appreciate Yuuki's adaptions all the more, perfect balance of the source material and his own style.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 01:55   Link #62
Iwanihana

Those ships in the trailer reminds me of good old 'Legend of Galactic Heroes'. A bit sad that shows like LoGH are not produced anymore...

By the way, I have set up a blog dedicated to Toward the Terra / To Terra / Terra E (has fandom settled on an abbreviated way of calling the show yet?) here. Please feel free to drop by.
Iwanihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 00:06   Link #63
Iwanihana

A scan from the April issue of Animage which you can see here.
Old 2007-03-16, 00:09   Link #64
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Keith looks the most different from his manga design IMO. Still a very good adaptation artistically, though.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 04:48   Link #65
EricMontreal22

None of you have seen the original film? It holds up well (better IMHO than a similar film aroudn the same time also based on a space opera by a shoujo manga-ka goddess--They Were 11) I have a commercial video iof it and onlywatched it twice and have to admit story wise the second half almost completely loses me--you can tell there was too much story compressed into the film and it was made with the intention manga fans would read it.

Here's the youtube clip mentioned already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHcE8W79wSQ (I can't find the movie trailer clip...)

(I'm sure mos tof you knwo the controversy on the English version of the manga--Takemiya is one of the infamous 49ers shoujo manga-kas, the first really important female manga writers, and is most famous for her gothic shone ai romance Song of Wind and Trees/Kaze to Kino Uta--anyway she was amazingly, for the time, able to cross over and have success in shonen magazines too--with Terra E being the example of this--but the ENglish publishers are advertising it as a shoujo work even though technically it's not--I think it's a good example of a more shoujo-esque take ona shonen format myself--but regardless it's a classic for a reason)

someone said:
"I don't think they could make it 50 episodes, even if they wanted to. I think there's only two or three volumes of the Terra e manga at most, so that could possibly cover all 26 episodes or maybe just the majority of it. I think when MBS aired Fullmetal Alchemist, there was about only three volumes of the manga out, and they managed to follow the manga until about FMA's mid-way point."

Terra E is being published in 3 English mangas but each volume is a bunko--the JAapanese format of putting two Tankoubons into one vol--so really it would be more a 6 volume work--each of the english volumes is nearly 400 pages. So it's not massive but it definetly is epic and I think 26 eps would suit it well-0-like I said the *long* movie gets a viewer lost

E

Last edited by EricMontreal22; 2007-03-16 at 07:32.
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 07:16   Link #66
Iwanihana

A new trailer has just been uploaded to the official website, not that a heck of a lot of new footage is shown though.
Old 2007-03-19, 19:09   Link #67
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post

None of you have seen the original film? It holds up well (better IMHO than a similar film aroudn the same time also based on a space opera by a shoujo manga-ka goddess--They Were 11) I have a commercial video iof it and onlywatched it twice and have to admit story wise the second half almost completely loses me--you can tell there was too much story compressed into the film and it was made with the intention manga fans would read it.
I saw it many years ago, I remember it was a very "Kadokawa-esque" production, very long and convoluted and quite pretty. Also I seem to vaguely remember a surprising amount of uncensored male nudity--rare for anime then--near the beginning, lol. I think the comparison to Logan's Run is pretty fitting for what I remember of the atmosphere of the film.

"Kaze to Ki no Uta" was perhaps one of the first examples I'd ever heard of shounen-ai back in the mid-80's. I never saw the anime adaptation, but saw a little bit of the manga once. I know a local shop that might still have a copy for rental after all these years, may have to check it out sometime just for historical reference, lol.

I believe both these works were mentioned favorably in Fred Schodt's classic book, "Manga, Manga".
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 20:08   Link #68
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanihana View Post
A new trailer has just been uploaded to the official website, not that a heck of a lot of new footage is shown though.
YouTube?
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 22:24   Link #69
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
I saw it many years ago, I remember it was a very "Kadokawa-esque" production, very long and convoluted and quite pretty. Also I seem to vaguely remember a surprising amount of uncensored male nudity--rare for anime then--near the beginning, lol. I think the comparison to Logan's Run is pretty fitting for what I remember of the atmosphere of the film.

Haha that's a funny description, alotta kadokawa films like that? Only film studio I'm familiar with is Toho (for one big green scaly reason of course )

Anyway's looks kinda cool, got 999 movie vibes looking at it, apparently it was directed by a famous movie director.........Masami Suda's designs look wierd though.
At anyrate, when will this damned new season start!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 20:09   Link #70
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Haha that's a funny description, alotta kadokawa films like that? Only film studio I'm familiar with is Toho (for one big green scaly reason of course )

Anyway's looks kinda cool, got 999 movie vibes looking at it, apparently it was directed by a famous movie director.........Masami Suda's designs look wierd though.
At anyrate, when will this damned new season start!!
Yeah, I suppose it may have been more just true with older anime features in general (like the Matsumoto stuff), but Kadokawa-produced films (mostly through the 80's) always seemed to be these lengthy epics which would let the story meander all over the place and have really well-budgeted production quality--whether anime (i.e. Dagger of Kamui, Arislan, etc.--even later stuff like the X movie seem to still evoke a lot of the same values) or live action (such as Heaven and Earth, which was filmed in Canada because Japan didn't have enough open space for the big battles). As such, a lot of my fellow oldschool anime fan friends tend to nostalgically refer to these sorts of epics as Kadokawa-esque.
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 23:42   Link #71
Iwanihana

I just came across an interesting point made by a Japanese fan:

Since Physis is blind, the clothes she wears is chosen according to whose taste?

The dress she wears in the official images we have seen so far looks as though it is about to fall off at any time. Any take on that?
Old 2007-03-21, 10:40   Link #72
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanihana View Post
Since Physis is blind, the clothes she wears is chosen according to whose taste?
Why not her own? Blind people retain the sense of touch.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 20:24   Link #73
BatAttack
Gaou!!

A sense of touch is not really enough to determine what you will look like wearing it.. Someone who has always been blind will not really have much concept of visual styles... ie, clothes that look elegant, or that make you look dumpy, etc.

Also, they would not be able to colour coordiante..
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 20:33   Link #74
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I thought we were talking about fashion of clothing, not color coordination (which is meaningless to the blind).

And, anyway, "It's anime!" (c)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 20:46   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Color may be meaningless if you're blind, but she still would have to look presentable to those that have sight. So, someone has to be helping her out imo.

Maybe, we'll find out in the series if they covered that aspect of Physis' personal life.
Old 2007-03-23, 03:00   Link #76
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post

"Kaze to Ki no Uta" was perhaps one of the first examples I'd ever heard of shounen-ai back in the mid-80's. I never saw the anime adaptation, but saw a little bit of the manga once. I know a local shop that might still have a copy for rental after all these years, may have to check it out sometime just for historical reference, lol.

I believe both these works were mentioned favorably in Fred Schodt's classic book, "Manga, Manga".
Yeah Manga Manga has frames from both in their section on shoujo manga--which is one reason I think both have made an impression in my mind (since I read Manga Manga when I was 12 or so, very early 90s, before I could actuallys ee much of this stuff for myself). The Kaze anime was an OAV--and is worth tracking down--it's been fansubed too. It's very very melodramatic (but I admit i love old school anime melodramatics whether in space opera or early shonen ai).

The other Takemiya works that have been adapted to anime are an OAV of Adromeda Stories (a space opera involving incest between a prince and princess in space--that's the only sotry I've been able to find, since the anime is near impossible to find raw or subed--but the same publishers of the English Terra manga are releasing the manga in September) and La Porte a L'Ete (which was kinda prototype for Kaze to Kino Uta with the shonen ai being relagted to a subplot but otherwise very similar). That one has been subed.

And yea--the anime of Terra had a brief shower scene in the first 10 mins though the actual *detail* of the anatomy isn't drawn so clearly most woul dbe offended... It's an itneresting anime--I tried to rwewatch my tape again but the tracking nhas gone all off and it now jitters near nonstop--I'm looking forward to finally learning the full unedited story from the new TV anime and the English manga translations.

I think comparing it to Mtsumoto's 999 is apt--I'm sure, while they're from virtually the same era, that was an inspiration. (and really the melodramatic angst from those comics isn't very different from the more shoujo-esque angst from Takemiya)
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 10:08   Link #77
Iwanihana

They have just uploaded a new trailer at the official site. Unfortunately, the images are the same as the first one they uploaded, though what is said is different (basically we have Soldier Blue saying that he will not live long and he wants Jomy to return to Terra).
Old 2007-03-24, 15:32   Link #78
Katapan
俺様祭り

Here's the trailer from TAF.

Not many new scenes there, it's mostly some of the manga being shown plus the three short promos available on the website. You can hear more of the OP (UVERworld's endscape) at the end though, which makes me look forward to hearing the TV version even more.
Old 2007-03-27, 08:31   Link #79
Iwanihana

Scans from the April issue of Newtype which you can see
here.
Old 2007-03-29, 03:06   Link #80
Iwanihana

They uploaded a bunch of images from Episode 1 to the official website today.

I have taken some screen captures here. There are a lot more at the official website.

Tags
shounen