AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-29, 18:13   Link #1
Spooky-Electric

Best manga not being translated by anyone?

Meaning not licensed, but not being translated by any fangroups either.
Old 2004-12-29, 19:11   Link #2
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Meaning not licensed, but not being translated by any fangroups either.
Can you clarify what exactly you are talking about?

Do you want to know which manga (which is unscanlated and unlicensed) we like the most?

In that case you won't get alot of responses I guess since most people around here do not have easy access to japanese manga, in fact only people residing in Japan would be able to answer you I think...
Old 2004-12-29, 19:49   Link #3
Spooky-Electric

well I can only speak/read English, so I'm curious to know what I'm missing out on.
Old 2004-12-29, 20:07   Link #4
Sana

Send a message via AIM to Sana Send a message via MSN to Sana
I've read a few of the chapters of a manga called Crazy For You (spelled in english) that I picked up in Margaret monthly magazine. The art is really great, in my opinion.

Only problem is my Japanese is pretty weak, so I can't totally understand it. I'm tempted to scan it and make someone help me translate it.
Old 2004-12-29, 21:12   Link #5
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
it is being translated.
although VERY SLOW.
a korean manwha thats called Shin Angyo Onshi
its kinda like traditional korean stuff with a twist.
pretty cool. theres a movie coming out. try to view the trailer
and it will rock your socks!
Old 2004-12-29, 21:27   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'm not very sure, but I think most of the Hongkong manga are not translated into english right?
Old 2004-12-29, 23:40   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

Comics One has some licensed Hong Kong manga out there. Scanslations? Probably not.
Old 2004-12-30, 00:33   Link #8
huh

a korea manga but i has no idea wat the name is in english.

is actullay veri funny and the fighting scene is quite gd
Old 2004-12-30, 16:01   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Hagio Moto is one of the best shoujo mangaka ever. She can be said to have started the shounen-ai genre.

Her works stay in print in Japan, but most are not translated into English. A volume of short works, A, A' is available from Viz.

I read someplace that Moto's 11nin Iru! (They were 11!) was also published by Viz, but I don't see anything on their website about it. Does anyone know about this?
Old 2004-12-30, 21:03   Link #10
holtz11

AIR MASTER - if you've seen the anime, you know how great this is, and the manga is even better. Unfortunately, no one is translating it
GAOGAIGAR - Super Robot manga based on the TV show. It follows the events of the TV series, and it's a sequel to it. Really great, and again not being translated.
That's all i can think about for now, will see if i remember more later.
Old 2004-12-31, 00:32   Link #11
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Mamotte! Lollipop- I discovered it on Nakayoshi's site and really liked it. I'm unsure of the complete plot but from the parts I can undertstand it is very good

Jungle Taitei-Well it is what Disney stole to make The Lying King. But the manga is very interesting ^-^

Ribbon no Kishi- The first Shoujo manga ever ^-^ It is what Utena got it's ideas from.

Unico- I can't remember the plot in detail www.tezuka.co.jp has the info...too lazy

I own 2 of the series so I could even supply the scans if someone were interested.
Old 2004-12-31, 01:53   Link #12
JERI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
it is being translated.
although VERY SLOW.
a korean manwha thats called Shin Angyo Onshi
its kinda like traditional korean stuff with a twist.
pretty cool. theres a movie coming out. try to view the trailer
and it will rock your socks!
Wanna link me to the translations? Coz I've only read volume 6 and I'm interested to find out what happened before.

Hmmm, I don't know if Zetman's being translated or not (good manga by the way), but I'll bet the Shima Kosaku series were never translated.
Old 2004-12-31, 03:34   Link #13
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtz11
AIR MASTER - if you've seen the anime, you know how great this is, and the manga is even better. Unfortunately, no one is translating it
I would love for someone to translate that.
Old 2005-01-03, 06:24   Link #14
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Shin Angyo Onshi is pretty cool. It got published in Singapore but since I can't speak Mandarin I rely on my cousin there to translate the dialogues verbally to me.

Some other lesser known series that got published here that I've come to like are: Gunnm Last Order (google it), Kaze no Hikaru (story about shinsengumi, kinda shoujo-ish), Ryuroden (scanslated by MS but they dropped the project before things start to get interesting in the manga), and W-Juliet (this got scanslated I believe). There are others as well but can;t remeber them atm.
Old 2005-01-03, 16:19   Link #15
ShikaShika
無罪

Hungry heart: Wild striker

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...200655-5418621
Old 2005-12-26, 04:49   Link #16
EricMontreal22

TONS of classic shoujo manga by the goddess of shoujo Moto Hagio

E
Old 2006-01-11, 14:14   Link #17
EdenB
Overlord

Da Capo, if that counts. Though the first four chapters have been translated I think it was dropped after that. :/
Old 2006-01-11, 18:16   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Obviously, the best unlicensed, unscanlated manga is Purple Eyes in the Dark by Chie Shinohara. (Yami no Purple Eye) It's a romantic thriller about were-leopards, death and psychic powers. I've had the whole series sitting on my shelf for years... Whad'ya mean you never heard of it?!

* NoSanninWa walks off grumbling.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-11, 19:34   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

There's a great manga I own (it's really just a collection of short stories) called "Shounen Shoujou" by 福島 聡

It's hard to describe... There's stories about children in post WWII Germany, junkyard inventors and flying cars, and the empathetic space panda. did I mention the empathetic space panda?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-01-16, 05:22   Link #20
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Hagio Moto is one of the best shoujo mangaka ever. She can be said to have started the shounen-ai genre.

Her works stay in print in Japan, but most are not translated into English. A volume of short works, A, A' is available from Viz.

I read someplace that Moto's 11nin Iru! (They were 11!) was also published by Viz, but I don't see anything on their website about it. Does anyone know about this?
Agreed it;'s shameful that her work hasn't been translated--she's to shoujo manga basically what Tezuka is to manga in general. I hope with Viz's new label for "classy/artistic" manga some of her stuff will get picked up

They Were 11 is in the early Viz gvraphic novel Four Shoujo Stories. It's pretty hjard to find now--it was pulled from print because of some problems with the rights for one of the titles

E
Closed Thread