AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2011-11-29, 02:37   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Do we know when this series is suppose to come out? Because since we know of no other KyoAni projects at all after the K-On movie, they might have two projects for next year, since that seems to be how they operate now. One for the spring and one for the fall. Depending on length and all. They managed two seasons of material plus a movie this year. So no telling how much they could get done next year, again depending on how long this series is suppose to last.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:45   Link #22
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Do we know when this series is suppose to come out? Because since we know of no other KyoAni projects at all after the K-On movie, they might have two projects for next year, since that seems to be how they operate now. One for the spring and one for the fall. Depending on length and all. They managed two seasons of material plus a movie this year. So no telling how much they could get done next year, again depending on how long this series is suppose to last.
I believe that there might be two projects in the works right now. IIRC back then, they announced that the next project will be announced in a magazine. This one was revealed in their official site.

I'll give it a right amount of optimism. For all we know, we had K-ON and Haruhi side by side. Clannad After Story and Munto TV. So why not?
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:46   Link #23
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
It's not that unknown (even relative wise). The author and his works have won numerous awards and this is his debut work (isn't he like THE leading figure for the seishun mystery genre?).
Yeah, reading his entry on wikipedia, you are correct. I meant to say relatively unknown in the typical anime-manga fandom circles. Typical 2ch reaction was of the "what on Earth is this?" and "京アニはおわこん" ilk. Barely anyone there was familar with the source material as well.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:52   Link #24
Utsuro no Hako

Well I'm glad the rumor that they'd be doing Nisioisin's Zaregoto novels turned out to be false -- as much as I'd love to see those animated, KyoAni is not the studio to try it. Hopefully this series is a better fit for their style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I don't know what you're smoking because there's two good mystery animes that are airing right now. The first one is obvious, Mawaru Penguindrum, and the second one is Un-go...
Penguindrum has mysteries in it, but it's not part of the mystery genre any more than, say, Lost was. If you want to point to a good example of mystery in anime, I'd go with Ghost in the Shell.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:13   Link #25
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's almost 2012. Also, this isn't thread-related at all, but Penguindrum has turned out really really bad.
sure, haruhi is a masterpiece and penguindrum is really bad
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:45   Link #26
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Kyo-ani making anime without any moe bait, that is a win already.

And LOL at Mawapen hate.
Old 2011-11-29, 03:47   Link #27
Brimstone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Kyo-ani making anime without any moe bait, that is a win already.
How can you know that for sure ?
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:57   Link #28
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
How can you know that for sure ?
Oh you're right, the anime chara design might similar to K-on as we speaking.

Btw on serious note, you shouldn't be angry as animation fan when an studio making project without thinking any profit (not like thinking "OMG we must making haruhi every year!!! money money money" instead) and make something that just interest them in another value.

Its getting rare we got title like that on these capitalism day, so why so mad?
Old 2011-11-29, 03:57   Link #29
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is one of the many questions. Aside from the one cover seen at the top of this thread, does this series have an art style?
Old 2011-11-29, 03:58   Link #30
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Wow, so much Kyoani hate.
Anyway, Haruhi's down for now because its composer, Satoru Kousaki, is down due to health concerns. And besides, like Shana, this would be the ultimate test for Haruhi's popularity: massive time gaps between productions.

Hyou-ka looks like a more "traditional-styled" anime series art-wise. Design looks like what amateur animators would submit in certain projects (simplistic and having vibrant colors, no offense to Kyoani's level of animation, by the way).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:00   Link #31
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Btw on serious note, you shouldn't be angry as animation fan when an studio making project without thinking any profit (not like thinking "OMG we must making haruhi every year!!! money money money" instead) and make something that just interest them in another value.
They made plenty K-ON...
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:08   Link #32
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
They made plenty K-ON...
Yep, that's also my point. Time to take a break from gold digging a bit.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:11   Link #33
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Hyou-ka looks like a more "traditional-styled" anime series art-wise. Design looks like what amateur animators would submit in certain projects (simplistic and having vibrant colors, no offense to Kyoani's level of animation, by the way).
This is the novel art though, for all we know Kyoani could just completely change it for the anime.

I'm personaly happy to see Kyoani doing this and hope it'll turn out good.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:12   Link #34
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Yep, that's also my point. Time to take a break from gold digging a bit.
Is that just the same as telling a theater to stop showing movies?

Also,

Quote:
This is the novel art though, for all we know Kyoani could just completely change it for the anime.
Some "unusual" side of me hopes that it doesn't change.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-11-29, 04:20   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Piecing together what the Japanese Wikipedia says on this via the every so useless google translator it dificult. There seem to be five books in this series from 2001 to 2010. This guy has written a lot of other series as well. Mystery and horror it seems. I can't pick out anything really useful in terms of plot that wasn't in the AnimeNews article. I can pick out there seem to be three boys in the cast and up to six girls (one of which being the older college age sister). However I can't piece together if all these characters are in the first book.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:37   Link #36
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Anyway, Haruhi's down for now because its composer, Satoru Kousaki, is down due to health concerns.
He's not. He's composing for Kizu and Nise next year.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:56   Link #37
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Judging by what little art I can find, it seems to be similar style to early Haruhi art or maybe something with a little more pastel look. Or maybe Kimi ni Todoke in its serious or normal art style.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:57   Link #38
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
He's not. He's composing for Kizu and Nise next year.
Oh, so that means that Kyoani has other plans instead.
Welp.

Old 2011-11-29, 04:59   Link #39
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'd like to ask and remind everyone that the purpose of this thread is to discuss this show. We do have a general Kyoto Animation thread for people who want to discuss broader topics about the studio, or discuss the prospects of other shows being animated.

Posts going forward that whine/complain/bitch about the fact that this show is getting animated for those sorts of reasons (i.e. why didn't they do XYZ instead?!?!) will be deleted for being off-topic. I'd ask for everyone's help in reporting these sorts of off-topic posts and not replying to them so that tangents aren't allowed to flourish.
Old 2011-11-29, 06:45   Link #40
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Piecing together what the Japanese Wikipedia says on this via the every so useless google translator it dificult. There seem to be five books in this series from 2001 to 2010. This guy has written a lot of other series as well. Mystery and horror it seems. I can't pick out anything really useful in terms of plot that wasn't in the AnimeNews article. I can pick out there seem to be three boys in the cast and up to six girls (one of which being the older college age sister). However I can't piece together if all these characters are in the first book.
Only the first 4 characters seemed to be in the classic literature club mentioned in the first post. Honestly there aren't that many info even in the wiki page.

To add to the intro post by combining few wiki info with some other reader reviews, basically you have the main guy (Oreki Houtarou), who kinda doesn't really care about anything. "If high school life is rose-colored, then this guy is shaded in gray." Extremely afraid of his sister, and obviously very good at deduction but mostly prefer to be in permanent battery-saving mode.

Then the club president (Chitanda Eru), who's an ojousama (...), perfect in everything (... ....), and force Houtarou to do all sort of investigation (... ... ...). She's the second person that Houtarou's afraid of. Her catch phrase is "I, am bothered by it," which she says about everything that she finds puzzling around her. For example, the first mystery in the story
Spoiler for extremely minor spoiler, you can find this in book review:

Lastly the two other members. Guy (Fukube Satoshi) is your typical infodump guy (Watson?), Girl (Ibara Mayaka) is Houtarou's osananajimi with a very sharp tongue.

As with this kind of genre, the strength lies not with the mystery but with the characters? In fact, Yonezawa gets pretty much trashed by die-hard mystery fans. I personally read anything if you slap the word "Detective" or "Murder Case" on the novel title regardless of the actual content, so I'm not as picky about crazy twists and intricate mystery (obviously those are huge +++). I am, however, curious in the horror aspect (which doesn't seem to be showing in the reviews ...).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life