AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-05-17, 07:38   Link #1
mdauben

Question Umi no Misaki

I just found a breif mention of a new series by Kou Fumizuki (the creator of Ai Yori Aoshi) called Umi no Misaki. I believe only the first chapter or two has been published so far (in Young Animal magazine) but I was wondering if there was any further news available about it so far? Being a big fan of Ai Yori Aoshi I'm very interested in anything new Fumizuki might do, but there does not seem to be any information available in english yet on the series? I'm not looking for scalations at this point (probably way too early for that!), just some info on what the series may be about, what the title means, etc.

Anyone have a clue?

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-05-17 at 09:05.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 08:45   Link #2
hi no ken Jebus

Are you referring to this?

I've read the first 2 chapters, there should be 6 or so out now since it started in issue 2007-05. From what I remember of the first two chapter Nagi Gotou comes from Tokyo to Okitsushima and runs into a girl named Shizuku Narumi. He asks her how to get to Umi no Misaki she offers to take him there and along the way they get to know each other. At a cliff overlooking the sea the wind blows off the straw hat she gave him and he falls off after it. She jumps in to rescue him then she tells him about a legend of that island and the dragon god that protects it. She also mentions that it's her fate to die. After hanging out some more they part and he asks her if they can meet again and she gives him a would be nice if we could but probably won't answer more or less. Never read the ai yori manga since the anime didn't do much for me but we'll see where this one goes.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 09:05   Link #3
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi no ken Jebus View Post
Are you referring to this?
Thanks for that info!

Looks like a quite different series than Ai Yori Aoshi (which was basically a harem anime with a really good romance buried in it). It sounds intersting, though, so hopefully some group will pick this up and start scanlating it eventually.
Old 2007-05-18, 07:16   Link #4
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Actually Ai Yori Aoshi is a magical girlfriend manga masquerading as a harem manga. That aside the new story sounds good.... wish I could read Japanese.
Old 2007-05-18, 08:59   Link #5
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
Actually Ai Yori Aoshi is a magical girlfriend manga masquerading as a harem manga.
I have to disagree. I've seen people refer to Ai Yori Aoshi as a "magical girlfriend" series once or twice before, but I just don't get why.

A "magical girlfriend" by definition has to have some sort of special powers (whether they are actually magic like Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess, or technology like Chii from Chobits). There isn't anything the least bit magical about Aoi (unless you considering it magical that a girl could be that nice! )
Old 2007-05-19, 08:35   Link #6
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

because Aoi is unreal in the most real way, you can believe in her unless you stop to think about it. she is in no specific order, Fantasticly rich, utterly devoted to her man, skilled in a truly amazing number of things, yet imbued with childlike innocence, she is an ideal japanese beauty, modest in everyway, yet spoiled enough to be cute, anyway I could go on but the facts are the only way a woman like this exists is in a book or by magic. NO real woman can measure up to her and if you think you know of one or have heard of one who can you are sadly mistaken.
Old 2007-05-19, 08:58   Link #7
mdauben

Quote:
NO real woman can measure up to her and if you think you know of one or have heard of one who can you are sadly mistaken.
Shrug. Sure, she is an idealized fantasy girl, and totally unrealistic. That doesn't make her a "Magical Girlfriend" in my eyes, it just makes her unrealistic.

Of course, no there are no "official" definitions of fan terminology like "magical girlfriend" or "harem comedy" so the terms can be kind of slippery at times. Just looking at the wiki definition:

Quote:
A magical girlfriend (魔法彼女, mahou kanojo) is a bishōjo character often associated with romantic comedy anime series; however, the genre is said to ultimately have its origins in Japanese fandoms for the American sitcoms Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. As their name implies, magical girlfriends typically have unusual powers compared to regular people, magical or otherwise.
Admittely, Wiki is hardly the final authority and is in fact nothing but a collection of user inputed information so that is just what someone else wrote there, but that's the way I use the term. To my mind, in order to be a magical girlfriend, the girl needs to be... well magical, not just oddly competant or unrealisticly devoted.
Old 2007-05-20, 06:27   Link #8
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

dude... normally I would let something like this go but that was some of the best spin I have ever seen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_girlfriend
that is the link to the wikipedia page he was refering to that includes magical PERSONALITY among the traits of a magical girlfriend and goes on to list AOI as an example of it. if you want to make a point fine but don't tell half the story to do it.

this is a quote from the same paragraph he chose
Quote:
This character is not to be confused with the magical girl, which is a distinct concept—the two genres rarely, if ever, overlap.
Old 2007-05-20, 06:33   Link #9
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Quote:
Many magical girlfriends are ultimately idealizations of girls the (male) audience would like. (This sometimes produces mixed reactions in fangirls.) They have great dedication to whatever work they do and for whomever they have great affection, although depending on the character's actual talents this can make for anything from 'quite capable' to 'well-meaning klutz'. They usually have calm and demure personalities, which isn't always true of the other characters associated with them.

Some have little experience with mainstream life (especially the non-human examples) and are naive. On the other hand, this allows them to have few preconceptions and arguably makes them more open-minded and empathic with others. They are usually considered emotionally insightful, seeing the good in others when most wouldn't and forgiving their shortcomings.
I went ahead and directly quoted the unabridged version of the definition for magical personality, from the magical girlfriend page for those who didn't want to click over to another page.
Old 2007-05-20, 11:54   Link #10
mdauben

Quote:
that is the link to the wikipedia page he was refering to that includes magical PERSONALITY among the traits of a magical girlfriend and goes on to list AOI as an example of it.
And I didn't quote that becuase I don't agree with it. Like I said, Wiki is just what someone else decided to write. I could go in there and remove the reference to Aoi if I really wanted to, so that fact that she is listed there just means that in one person's opinion she is a "magical girlfriend".

Quote:
if you want to make a point fine but don't tell half the story to do it.
I'm not, I was simply trying to illustrate my opinion. Like I said Wiki is not an authoratative sourse for anything. I just used that specific quote (and not the rest) to show how I define "magical girlfriends". I feel both you and the preson that wrote the "magical girlfriend" entry in Wiki are wrong and are attempting to stretch the definition of "magical" too much, but in the end it's just my opinion and you can include Aoi in your definition of "magical girlfriend" if you want.
Old 2007-05-20, 17:42   Link #11
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I am contrasting magical vs magic, it's often that we use the word magical to describe everyday things that are better than normal. see a beautiful girl? tell her she has a magical smile. have a great day where everything goes well? what a magical day... the point is magical is an adjective that describes a state of being that is just way better than the norm, not necessarily denoting done with magic.
Old 2007-10-22, 00:37   Link #12
billborden

Quote:
I am contrasting magical vs magic, it's often that we use the word magical to describe everyday things that are better than normal. see a beautiful girl? tell her she has a magical smile. have a great day where everything goes well? what a magical day... the point is magical is an adjective that describes a state of being that is just way better than the norm, not necessarily denoting done with magic.
I'm going to have to go with mdauben on this one. The definition as presented on animesuki is so broad as to be nearly useless; the female lead in nearly every "Harem" manga could, if you tried, fit under it. It makes more sense--in a purely functional, if no other, way--to limit the magical girlfriend genre to those manga with female leads that are more obviously "other" (Belldandy, Narue, even Kozue (from Mahoraba).
billborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 00:35   Link #13
joshualimm

Have just finished reading 14 chapters of this series... Loving it. Though... I realy really REALLY hope that the male protoganist IS the real deal. None of those... plot twists where someone else comes along who claims to be the real one (what I'm talking about? Go read the manga! ). Just like Ai Yori Aoshi, I was constantly on my toes wondering if Kaoru really was a Hanabishi. There are a lot of manga out there with plot twists, so I really hope that this series will stay its course as a simple harem with nothing out-of-the-blue (or at least, no more from now on). I'd be happy with just character development rather than story development. Nutshell? Loving this.
joshualimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 08:53   Link #14
Tri-ring

I didn't know there was a thread concerning this manga.

Here is what I have wrote concerning it splated out in various other threads.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...9&postcount=96

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=179

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=197

Hope you like it.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 18:15   Link #15
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualimm View Post
Have just finished reading 14 chapters of this series... Loving it. Though... I realy really REALLY hope that the male protoganist IS the real deal. None of those... plot twists where someone else comes along who claims to be the real one (what I'm talking about? Go read the manga! ). Just like Ai Yori Aoshi, I was constantly on my toes wondering if Kaoru really was a Hanabishi. There are a lot of manga out there with plot twists, so I really hope that this series will stay its course as a simple harem with nothing out-of-the-blue (or at least, no more from now on). I'd be happy with just character development rather than story development. Nutshell? Loving this.
They(editorial staffs of Young Animal) are bound to suggest in using it somewhere during the series, I mean face it it is a classic and when the author hit a wall or something it is one of those tricks they use in order to prelong the series.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 17:57   Link #16
cyberdemon

the first volume has finally been scanlated by the Solaris-SVU group
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 19:57   Link #17
LCeh

Have read until chapter 7, and the "mystery" aspect of the story, if you can call it that, has been really good. I will definitely keep an eye on this series. Thanks a lot for making the thread.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 22:00   Link #18
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

i did finally get to see a scanlated version of this manga and it did not disapoint in anyway, but considering AYA is one of my favorite series i expected good things and was totally happy with this book.
Old 2008-02-29, 11:01   Link #19
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

read v1 the other day. thought it was really good. i was impressed with how the authors art seems to have improved (especially in terms of consistency).
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:38   Link #20
LCeh

Having read up to chapter 20 now, I gotta say they have been going at a pretty steady pace, which is a very good sign.

Does anyone know whether this is a weekly released manga or is it bi-weekly/monthly?
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen