AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-10, 08:55   Link #10521
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Ah ha. The old "dedicated minority holding the silent majority hostage, and the elected rewards such minority handsomely" ploy. Why am I not surprised?
Old 2010-12-10, 09:14   Link #10522
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Ah ha. The old "dedicated minority holding the silent majority hostage, and the elected rewards such minority handsomely" ploy. Why am I not surprised?
Because, most people in Tokyo, living in the most xenophobic city in Japan, actually trust Ishihara... or they've moved out to Yokohama/Chiba/Saitama/Tsukuba already. Of course, cost of living is a factor... and again, Tokyo Metropolitan laws are equally xenophobic.
Old 2010-12-10, 09:27   Link #10523
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
The ultra-nationalist governor of Tokyo strikes again!
Oh, and did you know that most Tokyo-jin attribute the increase of suicide rates to the governorship of Ishihara?
Yes, Ishihara is a real jackass on many topics that affect many people ... yet the sheep keep re-electing him.
Old 2010-12-10, 09:41   Link #10524
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yes, Ishihara is a real jackass on many topics that affect many people ... yet the sheep keep re-electing him.
I told you, there's many rich old men which prefer to keep the foreigners out in Tokyo, so therefore, he always gets re-elected, and the young flok have moved to satellite towns like Yokohama/Chiba/Saitama/Tsukuba. Even Tama, Tokyo Metropolitan Government's planned satellite town, HAS EMIGRANTS. To Kanagawa.

Oh well.
Old 2010-12-10, 09:49   Link #10525
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

This guy needs to be the new Governor of Tokyo.

Solves 2 problems immediatly.

Rent gets lowered
bye bye xenophobia

Old 2010-12-10, 09:50   Link #10526
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
This guy needs to be the new Governor of Tokyo.

Solves 2 problems immediatly.

Rent gets lowered
bye bye xenophobia

Being the xenophobes the Tokyo-jin are, no chance...
Old 2010-12-10, 09:51   Link #10527
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Being the xenophobes the Tokyo-jin are, no chance...
I know, I was just joking

Look on the brightside

In 10-20 years those old geezers will have either bit the dust or will be someplace else

(No offense intended)
Old 2010-12-10, 09:55   Link #10528
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:

Look on the brightside

In 10-20 years those old geezers will have either bit the dust or will be someplace else

(No offense intended)
Problem: Japanese have the longest longevity in the world.
Old 2010-12-10, 09:59   Link #10529
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:

Look on the brightside

(No offense intended)
Japan has one of the largest aging population (in proportion) in the world. The population is shrinking, last I heard.
Old 2010-12-10, 10:00   Link #10530
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Japan has one of the largest aging population (in proportion) in the world. The population is shrinking, last I heard.
Again, average longevity in Japan is pretty high...
Old 2010-12-10, 10:01   Link #10531
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Long, but not infinite. Meanwhile, the rest of the world moves on. Join us!
Old 2010-12-10, 10:04   Link #10532
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Long, but not infinite. Meanwhile, the rest of the world moves on. Join us!
Whew. And I thought Melburnians were old... look at the sheer number of conserved buildings here...

(OH WAIT that's why I moved outta Tokyo!)
Old 2010-12-10, 12:19   Link #10533
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Life's not fair Frenchie. Parents did what they did, they broke the law, and unfortunately the children have to pay for their parents actions. Maybe they'll learn to resent their parents for not doing things the RIGHT WAY. There is a legal way to become a citizen. If friends of mine can do it, why can't they? What makes them so special that they can bypass the laws here?
So, the innocent children should be denied a better life just because their parents chose not to go through the normal citizenship process?

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea the problems my country is having with illegal immigration, and the people that are here under the radar. The entire reason why Democrats want to make them all citizens, is to create a large Democrat voting block that will also provide cheap labor for their corporations. It has nothing to do with creating opportunities for people to come here and make their lives better. If that were the case, they'd bring in true immigration reform and make it easier for the hundreds of thousands of people that come here legally every year(with green cards, work visas and other access).
What a claim.

Quote:
And I haven't met one legal immigrant, who agrees with giving these people amnesty or an easy path to citizenship. Not one. They all spent years doing everything right, jumping through hoops, paying their fees, learning how our government works, taking the tests, spending YEARS to call themselves Americans.
This legislation allows military servicemen and women to be an American citizen. Someone that gives their lives for a country shouldn't be allowed citizenry?
2 years of college (it is 2 years, right?) can mean a lot to an illegal immigrant. You can learn a lot of English and a lot of American customs. The entire process my father went through to gain citizenship was essentially a bunch of form-filling and studying for tests about American stuff. Why couldn't an illegal immigrant do that by going through college?
Old 2010-12-10, 13:51   Link #10534
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Will it be for the younger generation though? You hear stories about Japanese salarymen working over time to the point of heart attack, and you gotta wonder how much those guys are lowering their life expectancy.
Old 2010-12-10, 14:03   Link #10535
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

New findings indicate that there is a lost civilization that is now where the Persian Gulf is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...thepersiangulf

Could be one of the very first groups of people to leave Africa. Some sites may date back to 65,000 years ago or more.
Old 2010-12-10, 15:13   Link #10536
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
This legislation allows military servicemen and women to be an American citizen. Someone that gives their lives for a country shouldn't be allowed citizenry?
There is already law for servicemen to gain citizenship via their service. You can't serve in the military at age 16.

Reason why a child would be sent packing with his or her parents is because his or her parents are still responsible for them by law. Thus they get deported as well. Seperating family is not considered a good thing in general. Citizenship is something general gained at age 18. Children born in a country or to nationals of said country are considered citizens by default. (hense partly the reason why President Obama's citizenship has been questioned).
Old 2010-12-10, 20:27   Link #10537
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
So, the innocent children should be denied a better life just because their parents chose not to go through the normal citizenship process?

I don't believe in awarding bad behavior. I don't believe in people getting a pass for breaking the law. They shouldn't be here! They're not legal, and they should go home, then get in line and come back when they can do it the proper way. Until then, too bad, your parents should have done it right.

Frenchie: I could say the same thing about some of your posts, but I've been browsing through forums since February of 1997, and have seen far worse.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:49   Link #10538
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I agree with JustinStrife. I dislike people coming from different countries to America and not becoming legal citizens and not integrating into society. I welcome so many of those people to my country, but I want them to become legal citizens. It is the fair and ethical thing for them to do. I know there are certain circumstances that make them avoid this (well, this applies for some of them, at least; not all illegal immigrants), but no excuses on this. They should become legal citizens.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:49   Link #10539
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
I don't believe in awarding bad behavior. I don't believe in people getting a pass for breaking the law. They shouldn't be here! They're not legal, and they should go home, then get in line and come back when they can do it the proper way. Until then, too bad, your parents should have done it right.

Frenchie: I could say the same thing about some of your posts, but I've been browsing through forums since February of 1997, and have seen far worse.
Again, you're making the kids pay for the parents' bad behavior. They are not responsible.

You're right, perhaps I should clarify, it was the most retarded, articulated post I've ever seen. Like you're trumping your own intelligence somehow. I didn't think that was even possible.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:52   Link #10540
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I agree with JustinStrife. I dislike people coming from different countries to America and not becoming legal citizens and not integrating into society. I welcome so many of those people to my country, but I want them to become legal citizens. It is the fair and ethical thing for them to do. I know there are certain circumstances that make them avoid this (well, this applies for some of them, at least; not all illegal immigrants), but no excuses on this. They should become legal citizens.
You don't understand. The legislation is all about making those boys and girls that crossed the border below 16 yo legal immigrants. so they CAN pursue and become legal citizens/green card holders, in line with everybody else.

What justinstrife is saying is that these kids shouldn't be given the right and should be deported because of their parents' irresponsible actions.

I strongly disagree.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international