AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-08, 11:09   Link #281
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Maeda Jun interview:

About episode 7

Maeda:
Episode 7 was personally a really scary episode for myself. Because Otonashi had lost his memory all this time and when people see this episode they might go “Wha? That’s all?” or “All he needed to get his memory back was via Naoi’s hypnotism?” and think that the scriptwriting was too lazy or cheap. If this was a game, when the player continues on he’d find out that there’s one deeper level to his memory that has not been revealed yet, but in an anime, it stops for a week after the episode ends.

So people will probably say stuff like “Maeda is bringing the sick sister out of the hospital and letting her die again, that’s no different from before. There’s no more to Maeda.” and that I’m just repeating the same stories again.

About episode 10

Maeda:
I really want to thank director Kishi for putting Yui and Hinata together in the ED (in earlier episodes). Even I personally thought it was a little too sudden for Hinata to confess his love to Yui suddenly in episode 10, but the ED managed to help foreshadow this.

Kishi:
After knowing their relationship in the main story, I wanted the ED to look like that.

Maeda:
Yui doesn’t get to speak much in the main story, so a large part of this was saved by the presentation. Also, episode 10 is personally where it’ll decide victory or defeat for me. If this episode doesn’t work, then it means I wasn’t able to live up to viewer’s expectations that they want to see a story that will make them cry, so I really want to know what people think of this episode when it airs.

source: http://zepy.momotato.com/2010/06/07/...n-angel-beats/

In that sense, I guess Angel Beats! is a failed work to me. ~.~
.... So he knows what's wrong with the series. Well that's good to know I guess. It's too late to change anything now though. The show would have worked out much better as a VN though.
Old 2010-06-08, 13:08   Link #282
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandlazy View Post
I can't believe some people are saying that Angel Beats will be "the End of Maeda"... Seriously? Do you resent him that much?
I can understand that Angel Beats is a divisive show in some respects, but to say something as strong as that shows an obvious bias against him.
I fully agree that for every brilliant moment in this series there is a questionable one to match it, but it's a mile away from being a bad show.

Anyway regardless of what your opinion is of the show it's going to be a success. The OP/ED single sold over 80,000 copies in it's first week and I expect the BD/DVD sales to be strong as well. I severly doubt Maeda will be "Falling on his Sword".
Those people are angry because they wanted another Air/Kanon/Clannad rehash. I personally started watching it expecting something different (like Little Busters!), and I am very pleased with the result.
Old 2010-06-08, 13:34   Link #283
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Thank you guys for the follow-up responses. I almost thought I was alone there. I was like, "so where did all those 8+ ratings come from?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
.... So he knows what's wrong with the series. Well that's good to know I guess. It's too late to change anything now though. The show would have worked out much better as a VN though.
Of course, of course. Last time an anime has outdone the game was Kanon, which means it was 4 years ago. Considering the theme and setting of AB, it can easily go to the length of AIR (for those who haven't played AIR, I spent a whole week of spring break to finish it, 8+ hours per day, while Kanon only took me 3 days).
Old 2010-06-08, 16:48   Link #284
Chuumi

I finally got the time to watch Angel Beats, and I must say that I'm really liking it. The show isn't anything like I expected it to be, I thought it would just be some kind of good vs evil anime, but there sure are many twists. The mix between comedy and drama is pretty weird though, and I'm almost finding it hard to believe that episode 5 and 9 are from the same anime. Episode 5 made my stomach hurt from all the laughing, while episode 9 left me with tears.

Anyway, enjoyed this episode. Not as much as the last one, but it was still good. Even though I wasn't feeling the whole marriage-thingie 100%, the "what if we meet in our next life"-part brought tears to my eyes. Unlike others, I'm glad Hinata chose to stay - I agree that it would have made the scene more beatiful, but he's one of my favourites, and I'm not ready for him to leave the show just yet .
Old 2010-06-08, 17:25   Link #285
Ryoukai
anime! rawr~!!

I really enjoyed watching this episode.. like most people, probably the first half when Kanade was around..

Too bad there's only three episodes to go.. ._.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:12   Link #286
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

pacing was off again, but that didn't detract from the second half of the episode being really powerful. like their relationship got no development, but if you think about it, its not that farfetched to think they had some feelings for each other through their interactions. plus i'm a complete sucker for romance like that. like Lelouch and Shirley. "i'll fall in love with you somehow."

plus the montage with the song sealed the deal. acoustic solos are always great.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:21   Link #287
Jonothon

I haven't read the entire thread but it struck me as interesting that it was Yui that kept Hinata from disappearing earlier. I doubt Yui could have moved on without his help. It would seem a miracle that it worked out that way, hmm?
Old 2010-06-10, 01:32   Link #288
HOApocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Quote:
Maeda:
Yui doesn’t get to speak much in the main story, so a large part of this was saved by the presentation. Also, episode 10 is personally where it’ll decide victory or defeat for me. If this episode doesn’t work, then it means I wasn’t able to live up to viewer’s expectations that they want to see a story that will make them cry, so I really want to know what people think of this episode when it airs.
You know I realized something from this,

There is a cruel God that is responsible for all the suffering in this series. It's the viewer, we're demanding that these people suffer so that we can feel sad.
Old 2010-06-10, 01:45   Link #289
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOApocalypse View Post
You know I realized something from this,

There is a cruel God that is responsible for all the suffering in this series. It's the viewer, we're demanding that these people suffer so that we can feel sad.
I see.... it's all your fault

You sir!! You are responsible for Isawara's disappearance. And you, you indirectly killed Yuri's three siblings.... And you... and you....

I hate you all. Give back my slice-of-life-in-Purgatory anime D:
Old 2010-06-10, 01:58   Link #290
HOApocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I see.... it's all your fault

You sir!! You are responsible for Isawara's disappearance. And you, you indirectly killed Yuri's three siblings.... And you... and you....

I hate you all. Give back my slice-of-life-in-Purgatory anime D:

And yet, your responsible as well.

We are gods, monstrous cruel gods, who in our imaginations create worlds filled with life specifically to see how badly we can crush the dreams of everyone in it.

But then I am getting a little off topic :P
Old 2010-06-10, 03:13   Link #291
Kafriel
Senior Guest

This episode was fun...especially the first part with Tenshi was hilarious The 5-man dribble was also funny, one second everyone's wondering "wth?" and right after that they're all on the defence...I think the Hinata x Yui romance was very predictable (and still good), but I had always considered it a small fact compared to the potential triangle of Yuri/Otonashi/Kaede, which I had assumed would become the main plot point of the series...guess I was wrong.
Old 2010-06-10, 07:58   Link #292
Auron Requies

Loved this ep. So many good things to point out (the thread speaks for itself). But personally, best moment that made it for me was the Yui x Hinata moment. I always found Yui cute, Yui x Hinata even cuter. This ep just made it harder to see her go.

But that little dreamlike scene of Hinata and Yui, I wonder if it'll ever happen, if they were to be alive again, maybe even in Heaven? (curing her condition of course)

Can't wait for episode 11, with that shadow out, I'm actually hoping for a lot of action scenes (lol otonashi's in episode 5, his idea of 'final assault' xD)
Old 2010-06-10, 10:35   Link #293
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

It's really a shame that this series wasn't given more "time" to flush things out...I feel a lot of these moments would have more of an impact on me if I had more time to get to know each of these characters, as opposed to someone speed-telling me the tragic stories of each character and resolving it the very next second.

I liked the ED a lot, it was a nice touch, though again, it'd have a stronger effect if we had more time. Yui was pretty cute playing soccer though hehe... "SAFEEEEEEE"
Old 2010-06-10, 18:28   Link #294
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I agree. Though they left an impact for me... I think it could have been greater. Yui disappearing was relieving and sad. To be honest I want the anime reworked back into the 34 episodes meant for it (Or so I heard it was meant to be a 34 episode anime.)

I'm interested in the next episode, 'Change the World' now. Hopefully it won't feel too rushed. Though the terrible pacing probably didn't help itself. Still looking forward to it.

As for this episode... I liked it. I liked the resolution with Shirou and Hinata working together. Though I'll miss Yui for sure... Though I'm still wondering why she had a tail and a pair of wings.Half expected her to be the antagonist. Turns out I was wrong. Lol
Old 2010-06-11, 00:22   Link #295
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
As said many times before it would work better as a game. I hope they announce that as a project Oh look a banter by Kaioshin XD yes lets compare his writing you haven't read to other writing, that isn't even in the same genre XP
Old 2010-06-11, 10:07   Link #296
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually, comparing it to something like Yume Miro Kusuri or Kana: Imouto would be better than works of classical literature, as the two former examples are written in much the same manner as the bulk of Jun Maeda's work -- in that they're set up to evoke a particular emotional response from the viewer. In some instances, it works well, but in others it just comes off as ham-handed and forced, where a viewer knows exactly when and where she or he is supposed to 'open the floodworks'.

That said, I found Yui's farewell episode okay, but as always there's this voice nagging in the back of my mind that says Angel Beats wouldn't have seemed so uneven had more episodes been allocated to it. Thirteen episodes, no matter how you look at it, are far too few, and was thinking that something CLANNAD to CLANNAD ~AS length (or heck, even KANON 2006-length) would do wonders for the pacing of the narrative.

Plus, it would give us a TK arc. I'd look forward to it, certainly.
Old 2010-06-11, 10:27   Link #297
eiyuu99

A TK episode would be interesting
Old 2010-06-11, 10:31   Link #298
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
TK's awesomeness notwithstanding, having more episodes allocated to the series would also mean several episodes of Otonashi bumbling around trying to find how to make TK 'pass on'. Wouldn't that create delightful shounen-ai fodder?
Old 2010-06-12, 13:00   Link #299
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

this ep was well worth the emotional impact
Old 2010-06-12, 21:48   Link #300
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Not a bad episode, the ending seems to be pure Key, reminiscent of many an earlier story of theirs.

The episode also had some nice comedy, and Yui and Kanade were very cute this episode. The one major flaw in this episode that really knocks it down is that Hinata's role in Yui's happiness was so little even if he ends up being the most important piece. I mean, it's fairly obvious the show wanted them to be a couple, but Otannashi ends up being the one to help her move on, and Hinata just feels shoved in this story. I mean I don't think it's implausible at all, but the pacing issues that plague this series really hurt the impact that it really should have had.

7/10 If Angel Beats does one thing, it's to pay tribute to to their past works. The classic Key feel that many of us are familiar with is finally here even if it was delivered clumsily.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread