AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-29, 19:38   Link #21
Gin
*Artist

I guess its an impossible task then, because I do not plan on helping. However, if you need some criticism, I would be more than willing to offer you my services.

Here's some for free:

As soon as you start filling in plot holes, it stops being a novelization, and starts being fanfiction.
Old 2010-11-29, 19:50   Link #22
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
As soon as you start filling in plot holes, it stops being a novelization, and starts being fanfiction.
Quoted for truth. I'm surprised the Mods gave this thread the green light, to be honest.

@ Gin - Long time no see buddy! How you been??
Old 2010-11-29, 19:59   Link #23
Anubis62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Quoted for truth. I'm surprised the Mods gave this thread the green light, to be honest.

@ Gin - Long time no see buddy! How you been??
Well, it's made by a fan, and it is fiction...
In the end, it really does not matter what you wish to call it; only what you consider the content to be.
Sure, I'll judge a book's cover; but what's in between those covers is what really matters.
The purpose of the novelization is, always was, and always will be, to make Bleach better for us who see all those plotholes. Or, at least, to see how Bleach could be if it was better.
The fanfiction thread deals with fanfiction in as much as it all deviates from the storyline 180 Degrees for the most part, and none of it collaborates. It's the content of the stories for what the thread is called. I wish to take no part in that; it is my motivations, not necessarily all the means, by which I categorize my work.
If you do not wish to help; that's fine. However, constructive criticism is always welcomed; as long as you criticize by the standards I have just outlined.
Old 2010-11-29, 20:08   Link #24
Gin
*Artist

Just because you stay closer to the storyline than other fanfictions doesn't make it not a fanfiction. If someone stole $10 from you, would you say they're not a thief, because they only took a little bit of money?
Old 2010-11-29, 20:12   Link #25
Langus
Optimus Prime

Well if you're planning to get into writing, kudos to you. I've enjoyed it immensely, even my Bleach fan fiction that deviates 180 degrees from the storyline...

Painting all fan fiction writers with the same brush is not wise. There are some, granted they are few and far between, that take care to stick as closely to the original storyline as possible. Some merely try to "fill in the gaps" to develop under-developed characters, something which you yourself seem to be aiming to do.

The best and worst part about receiving constructive criticism for your writing is that you have absolutely no say in what parameters and standards people use to judge your work. Thinking you CAN dictate that is misguided and naive.

If you're mature enough to step back and see constructive criticism for what it is, you might actually learn something from it and improve. The amount of hate mail I got when I first started improved my writing immensely. If you are like most and take every comment as a personal slight well then it'll be a long, hard road, won't it.
Old 2010-11-29, 20:45   Link #26
Anubis62

Quote:
Painting all fan fiction writers with the same brush is not wise. There are some, granted they are few and far between, that take care to stick as closely to the original storyline as possible. Some merely try to "fill in the gaps" to develop under-developed characters, something which you yourself seem to be aiming to do.
Quote:
The fanfiction thread deals with fanfiction in as much as it all deviates from the storyline 180 Degrees for the most part, and none of it collaborates.
Don't patronize me for what I say unless it is genuinely warranted. I don't make generalizations if I can help it, believe you me.

Quote:
The best and worst part about receiving constructive criticism for your writing is that you have absolutely no say in what parameters and standards people use to judge your work. Thinking you CAN dictate that is misguided and naive.

If you're mature enough to step back and see constructive criticism for what it is, you might actually learn something from it and improve. The amount of hate mail I got when I first started improved my writing immensely. If you are like most and take every comment as a personal slight well then it'll be a long, hard road, won't it.
Quote:
However, constructive criticism is always welcomed; as long as you criticize by the standards I have just outlined.
Of course I can't "dictate" criticism. I am aware of this fact. I merely welcome that which I desire; is that not true for all of us?
I cannot stop the hate mail; and I do see the merit in not doing so. But asking for hate-mail, or condoning it, is counter-intuitive.
I also don't recall ever expressing my views on criticism; it's mindless banter that I don't approve of. "hate Mail" and "Criticism" can absolutely help you; but not if it has no actual suggestions (stated or implied) in them.
I will not pass this off as fanfiction, but if you'd like to categorize it as such that's fine. I simply look at this novelization as more of an "abridging" than a whole new story.

@Langus
Which is why I am not passing this off as Tite Kubo's work; but at the same time, it really isn't my own creation at all. Fanfictions are usually stand-alone. The part's I've added are scattered throughout the book. A sentence here, a thought here, a cleaned-up translation here.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:37   Link #27
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis62 View Post
Don't patronize me for what I say unless it is genuinely warranted. I don't make generalizations if I can help it, believe you me.
You did make generalizations and you will continue to do so as long as you portray your writing in a "my work" vs. "theirs" context. It's inevitable.

Quote:
Of course I can't "dictate" criticism. I am aware of this fact. I merely welcome that which I desire; is that not true for all of us?
Of course not. You're simply demanding that people offer criticism for your work within the standards you dictate.

Well, you seem to know everything there is to know about writing, so I won't repeat myself. I leave you to sit down with your thesaurus and self-aggrandizing "not a fan fiction" novelization of Bleach. Good luck, little buddy!
Old 2010-11-29, 21:48   Link #28
Anubis62

Quote:
You did make generalizations and you will continue to do so as long as you portray your writing in a "my work" vs. "theirs" context. It's inevitable.
We can agree to disagree on that point.

Quote:
Of course not. You're simply demanding that people offer criticism for your work within the standards you dictate.
I see nothing demanding about "Would be Welcomed"....

Quote:
Well, you seem to know everything there is to know about writing, so I won't repeat myself. I leave you to sit down with your thesaurus and self-aggrandizing "not a fan fiction" novelization of Bleach. Good luck, little buddy!
1.) Patronization never convinces me; only genuine disproofs.

2.) I do not use a thesaurus...most of the time.

3.) You seem very experienced. I respect, value, and welcome that. However, what words I take seriously depend on the value of said words.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:52   Link #29
Gin
*Artist

Lists are kind of my thing, please don't plagiarize me like you're plagiarizing Kubo.
Old 2010-11-29, 22:04   Link #30
Anubis62

Quote:
Lists are kind of my thing, please don't plagiarize me like you're plagiarizing Kubo.
1.) I use lists quite often. The fact that you use them is pure coincidence.

2.) At least Kubo has a copyright, making what I'm doing with the Novel actual plagiarism.

EDIT: I also am: not passing the story off as my own, and giving credit to TK. So it's not actually plagiarism; more like copyright infringement (as langus pointed out earlier).
Old 2010-11-29, 22:16   Link #31
Gin
*Artist

1)You started using lists after seeing me use them
2) At least you are honest about some of your crimes.
3) Are you sure Kubo wants credit for what you're doing?
Old 2010-11-29, 23:02   Link #32
Anubis62

Quote:
1.) In this particular case, yes. Perhaps it was a subconscious thing, seeing you using them might have spurred me to use them when I did. But I assure you, it was not actually inspired by you.

2.) Thank you. I don't see them as "crimes", however, in the legal sense of the word. And I'm always honest about what I know to be the facts.

3.) I know he would certainly appreciate being recognized as the creator of what I'm infringing upon. I have a non-affiliation disclaimer in the final product. Or, at least, the current product (which I haven't uploaded yet)
Old 2010-11-29, 23:16   Link #33
Gin
*Artist

Of course he would appreciate being recognized as the creator, but I was asking if he would really want people to associate his name with your 'work'.
Old 2010-11-30, 01:03   Link #34
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:

I'll leave you guys to it.
Old 2010-11-30, 08:50   Link #35
Alchemist007
*Author

I used to try to talk sense to people but Gin's alternative treatments are more entertaining.
Old 2010-11-30, 09:41   Link #36
Anubis62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I used to try to talk sense to people but Gin's alternative treatments are more entertaining.
Aren't they?

Also, Gin, when I originally said I was giving Kubo credit, I meant just that I was crediting him with making Bleach. No more, no less.

EDIT: Also, the Document link has been updated. I will update the link from my first post as well.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CM_z_NwG

Last edited by Anubis62; 2010-11-30 at 10:01.
Old 2010-12-01, 12:58   Link #37
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

OMG just lay off Anubis already! geez you guys sound like youtube employees, obcessed with copyright and exist to spoil fun. (only difference is that we havent been Rick Roll'ed by you guys yet) 3...2...1... and you guys are gonna rick roll me

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Old 2010-12-01, 16:11   Link #38
Gin
*Artist

So I deicided to give plagiarism a try, and novelized the deicide arc. Here's a link to my work.
Old 2010-12-01, 16:23   Link #39
Anubis62

Quote:
So I deicided to give plagiarism a try, and novelized the deicide arc. Here's a link to my work.
I had a feeling you weren't the kind to be that open-minded.

Also, we've been over this: it's not plagiarism, it's copyright infringement.
Omission of refutation is an admission of fact, so I'll assume you agree with me. In that case, I recommend thinking before you make a smart comment.
It was funny, however.

Also, Kuma-san, everyone in this thread has pretty much agreed that my infringement is on par with fanfiction; so I don't really think that's the issue.
Thank you for understanding, however.
Old 2010-12-04, 01:06   Link #40
Anubis62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis62 View Post
After reading the Death Note "BB Murder Case" ("Another Note") novelization, I humored the idea of novelizing the Bleach Manga. Naturally, there's something to be said for Manga not being compatible with novel-writing. However, that's something that can be fixed with good writing.
The only changes I would make would to fill in plot-holes, and put all of the chapters in the same context (since TK made alot of stuff up as he went, alot of earlier chapters simply feel empty after reading later chapters). What I want is a complete list of plot-holes people would like filled-in (along with suggestions as to HOW they should be filled), as well as any additions which would help with the whole "same context" sort of thing.

First Draft Here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CM_z_NwG
Up-to-Date Draft (constantly editing): https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bxc...thkey=CMOgqPUC
Closed Thread