AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-10-16, 23:29   Link #1
4Tran

Gundam 00 - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Gundam 00. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2008-10-17, 00:12   Link #2
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Fav seiyus so far

Mamoru Miyano
Shinichiro Miki
Yoko Hanna
Michiko Neya
Ayumi Tsunematsu

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2008-10-17 at 00:47.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 02:19   Link #3
KrimzonStriker

Mad love to Hiroyuki Yoshino for me
Old 2008-10-17, 06:34   Link #4
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Man,I love Gundam 00 VA,make my skin crawl.Especially VA for Graham Aker & Setsuna F Sei.
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 19:11   Link #5
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

For the upcoming English dub:

The official North American site has a new trailer, though it seems familiar.

ANN's Gundam 00 entry has the latest entry on all upcoming VAs for the anime.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-10-17, 20:45   Link #6
MooMooFarm

While I'm in no condition to say what I watch is among of the cream of the crop, I believe 00 at least in season 1, and so far in season 2 has a different, more serious monotone but equally well done overall voice over production as Code Geass, with perhaps minor bias towards Code Geass because of their voice actors having more chances to perform a wider range of tones.

However, if we look at it just from a voice acting stand point, I think Geass wins out over 00 simply because their characters ALLOW them to act more freely. A big example is Setsuna versus Lelouch, and while Setsuna is infinitely more cooler in his voices for season 2, he's still far and away from Lelouch simply because of his character. Yagami Raito was done very well, so it's not like the guy can't do it.

=] course, if we are talking just 00, there's only 1 person so far other than some crappy grunt voice overs I can complain about (like ep2, that no name Ahead almost sounds like the Jennin guy at first, and only sounded different once they gave him a close up death) is Andrei. It's not like I can't see him sounding like that, but just the amount of....yeah he's just annoying. Everyone else at least "fits".

As for specific people doing awesome, I tend not to say "this guy did the best job" simply because mostly I recognize their voices from other works, and it just doesn't seem fair. Guys like Lockon, Setsuna, Ali, are all rigged to win in a sense because their voice is so damn awesome even when you've heard it across their many roles. The only guy I never heard of before in S1 that really stood out to me was Graham Aker, who pretty much sounded like he was going to RAPE and CLIMAX when he fought a gundam. That guy is awesome, too bad he doesn't fit some Seinen series heroes like Guts/Gatts from Berserk, or it'd be hilarious to do another anime on those things. Maybe Vagabond.

The other VA's don't shine as brightly, but if everyone shines, it feels too damn awkward. So overall, I'd say it's nearly perfect, just that the story is more 'realistic' and won't allow a main character like Setsuna to go all LELOUCH VI BRITANNIA MEIJIN BLAH BLAH BLAH. Oh and Geass had an overall more feminite feel to their voice actors, which fit CLAMP's work, while 00's VA's fit .... whoever the hell draws 00.

I'm still vague, but I guess 00 is leagues ahead of animes like Toradora I guess? Where like, the shortie tiger sounds older than the hyper bimbo? And I mean a lot older.

Whatever, Sunrise shows are pretty decent lately. That's all you need to hear from me right?
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 20:59   Link #7
rebel one
Do the Monkey

yeah to the guy above me. this is the discussion of the 00 cast only. Don't compare it to other anime unless they were also in it.

I find Andrei quite normal considering his ethnicity. That dude in the Ahead wasn't killed, it was another guy.

As for me, I really like Shinichiro Miki and Yuuichi Nakamura. Miki just sounds like the fun uncle type of guy. Nakamura is just really really funny. Even the amount of emotion is funny. I can't really imagine anyone else saying Graham's lines.
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 00:48   Link #8
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Just an interesting note on Minami Takayama.

She did Nabiki Tendo and Yaiba Kurogane. Ahh.. some old favs.

Old 2008-10-18, 05:07   Link #9
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Am i the only one that thinks Grahams english VA sounds too young?
Old 2008-10-18, 05:29   Link #10
Usami Haru
Mr. Broshido
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
Am i the only one that thinks Grahams english VA sounds too young?
I think the same. Well, never expected somebody to be better than Nakamura Yuiichi, but Graham sounds like a 15 year old. D: That's the only thing I don't like about the dub.

About the japanese version, I lol'd when Ali first talked, in the only show I never imagined Keiji Fujiwara in was Gundam , his voice made me like Ali a lot more.

Never realized that 00 has a lot of my favorites seiyuus. One more reason to love it.
Usami Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 05:49   Link #11
mashimaro_boy

Chinese Cantonese Gundam 00 dub in HK is horrible
mashimaro_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 06:17   Link #12
Tkpenalty
I Want GN Flag II

only the meisters's VA sound right for lockon and setsuna... Hope brad sweele will be good as setsuna as he was a light. Graham sounds too young =_=.... but patrick's fag factor has risen by 100% (which is good)

rest of the VAs sound too young/too old.
Tkpenalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 06:29   Link #13
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

I was hoping for a bit of Irish accent on Lockon, but well, ugh
Sergei is just a no from me
Some of the voices are pretty good,
However I didn't particularly like Grahams voice, I'll stick to the Jap dub in that case
Old 2008-10-18, 06:40   Link #14
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
To all the people complaining about Graham sounding "too young", you do realise that Yuuichi Nakamura is known for voicing young, usually teenaged characters?

On the otherside of the spectrum, his dub VA Paul Dobson is known for voicing deep voiced adult males (he's usually typecast as either an evil villain or a thuggish brute), so his voice sounding "young" is really out of the ordinary. And regardless of how young or not his Graham voice sounds, it doesn't really fit either way.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 08:06   Link #15
EternalDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimaro_boy View Post
Chinese Cantonese Gundam 00 dub in HK is horrible
That's why you watch it in original japanese, no matter what
EternalDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 11:16   Link #16
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalDestiny View Post
That's why you watch it in original japanese, no matter what
Yup. For any anime. ANY ANIME! Original dubs are better than dubs from other languages.

And I don't really pay attention to VAs, but the 00 VAs to me are pretty good. Although I liked the Seed VAs more. Because of Akira Ishida.
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 18:34   Link #17
Zeta Gundam

I like Soma's voice the most.

And Ali's VA is also damn good.
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 19:04   Link #18
Mangaka-chan

I for one am glad they didn't try any accents (so far) in the dub because while an accent can add more to a show when done right, when done incorrectly (which more likely than not will happen, especially with ethnic accents) it can make a dub absolutely torture to listen to. D:

As for Japanese seiyuus in 00 my favorite has to be Hiroshi Kamiya. Even though Tieria's character design makes him seem very feminine, when he talks you realize what a strong and me thinks masculine character he is. This is a case where the voice solidifies the character for me.

As for the English dub, while I too think Graham sounds too young I think we'll get use to it after a while. So far I really like Lockon's VA and while I can't get the image of Inu Yasha out of my head when I hear Richard Cox's voice I think he'll make a great Allelujah.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 19:40   Link #19
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Only thing I'm waiting for Scottie man himself!

Old 2008-10-18, 20:26   Link #20
Lugia_Tsuyu
Damn, I'm good!

I LOVE Mamoru Miyano!!! His voice is soooooo cool!
Lugia_Tsuyu is offline   Reply With Quote