Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-23, 20:04   Link #141
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The point is to not harp on the individual weaknesses of each element of the medium — because there are bound to be many — but to look at the big picture and to wonder how is it that we were entertained in spite of the individual weaknesses.
Spoiler for Sword Art Online:

tl;dr: Despite the numerous characters I couldn't care about and Kirito being almost too perfect for my liking, his relationship with Asuna was endearing and believable while Suguha's feelings toward both of them made for some interesting character drama. The story and gameplay mechanic wonkiness only really hurt the second half of the show.

Anyone else feel like putting something they liked through the ringer? Anyone? Anyone?

(I might "revisit" Saki: Achiga-hen next. My problems with that were less about its content and more about some awful directional choices that undermine what made the original Saki anime so good)
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 23:25   Link #142
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Why this concentration on shows that look bad? Why not spend more time discussing shows that are well-drawn and well-animated?
Because life sucks, thus we focus on what sucks.

/wrist

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 11:00   Link #143
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

At first blush, the article might seem unrelated to anime, but read on and you'll get a better appreciation for why I've long come to feel that fans pay too much attention to writers at the artist's expense.

Five ways for a comics artist to avoid being diminished by writers
Quote:
"I don’t sign as many autographs as the writer!" or "How come I don’t get as many questions during panel discussions?"

Story is in our DNA, art is not. Proof? People can do a great job describing what a movie meant to them — the characters, the plot twists, the surprises, the music, the action, and the ending. Send those same people to an art museum and they get much quieter.

Why? Some of them don't get art. Some of them like it, but don't know why. Even the ones that loved it can only use limited vocabulary to describe it: neat lines, nice color, good mood, blah blah blah. And that's totally fine — it took you years to learn about art, so ease up on people that don't have your education.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 13:03   Link #144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that article actually does a great job of explaining why people tend to focus more on writers than on artists in mediums that need both (such as comic books and anime). The article is right - Story is in our DNA, whereas art is less so.

One thing I have noticed is that when anime is perceived as having bad writing, people just criticize the writing and the writer(s).

But when anime is perceived as having poor visuals, anime fans tend to criticize almost everything but the artist(s). In fact, the default criticism seems to be "Looks like they were lacking budget for this episode". In other words, bad visuals are chalked up to simple monetary limitations whereas bad writing is simply chalked up to... bad writing.

At a surface level, it may seem like this distinction would favor artists. But I think it actually is to their disfavor - If we don't think the artists are important enough to warrant criticism for bad visuals, then sort of follows that we also won't think that the artists are important enough to warrant praise for good visuals.
Old 2014-03-19, 01:30   Link #145
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One thing I have noticed is that when anime is perceived as having bad writing, people just criticize the writing and the writer(s).

But when anime is perceived as having poor visuals, anime fans tend to criticize almost everything but the artist(s). In fact, the default criticism seems to be "Looks like they were lacking budget for this episode". In other words, bad visuals are chalked up to simple monetary limitations whereas bad writing is simply chalked up to... bad writing.

At a surface level, it may seem like this distinction would favor artists. But I think it actually is to their disfavor - If we don't think the artists are important enough to warrant criticism for bad visuals, then sort of follows that we also won't think that the artists are important enough to warrant praise for good visuals.
I think the reason for this distinction in anime's case is rather simple: an anime episode likely has one writer (and one overall supervising writer/story planner), but an entire team of dozens of different artists all doing their various parts. So if the writing is bad, you can probably point back to a very small list of people. But if the art or animation is bad, it really does have a lot more to do with budget and scheduling, because a few "hero artists" can't make an entire episode look good unless they have lots of time (i.e. weeks/months).

I will say that one less-appreciated focal point in terms of anime discussion is the storyboard artist, since this planning and vision is really the key to how the animation turns out (frame-level art and animation consistency notwithstanding). You could argue that the storyboard level is really where the "artistry" of the episode on the whole takes shape. It's only those who really pay attention to animation who you see making comments about who did the storyboards and observing correlations based on that.

As far as comics go, it is certainly true that a lot of the way the story is conveyed comes down to the artistry of the panels/layouts/designs, so it may well be the case that writers are given too much attention and credit whereas people have a harder time nailing down the exact impact of the art on their perception of the story.