AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 05:21   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya) on Cartoon Network

Now that Saint Seiya is airing on the Cartoon Network in the US, I imagine that some people are just seeing it for the very first time. Unfortuantely there is a lot of censoring and editing going on. I am wondering what people seeing this version think of the show.

After reading reviews of this show at Gamerz Edge and AnimeOnDVD I am worried that the ADV version is creating a very different sort of impression from the original.

If this is the first version that you've seen then please post here and tell me what you think of it. If you have seen the ADV version and want to compare it to the the version that you've previously seen, then I'd like to hear your opinions also, but make sure you use spoiler tags wherever you talk about future events.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 06:34   Link #2
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Unfortunantly, KoTZ hasn't aired in Australia yet. Atleast not on the free channels. Not so much dissapointed as I know this is going to be annoying, but I would like to compare it to the original, which I'm collecting right now (volumes 3-5 are coming my way soon yay)
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 10:12   Link #3
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
ADV is releasing both Saint Seiya and Knights of the Zodiac. The version you're linking to reviews of is the edited release created by DiC and packaged for release by ADV.

DiC has TV rights to the show, and subcontracted the DVD release out to ADV. They also gave ADV rights to release an unaltered version.

Not much we can do about the altered version. ADV can't put the clean release on TV.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 12:56   Link #4
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
I'm moving back to campus housing soon, which will mean free cable! I really love the show-I watched it since I was a kid and I loved it. I really do hope they didn't censor much for it woulndn't be as fun. I can't wait to see it.
Old 2004-04-06, 13:52   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl822
I'm moving back to campus housing soon, which will mean free cable! I really love the show-I watched it since I was a kid and I loved it. I really do hope they didn't censor much for it woulndn't be as fun. I can't wait to see it.
:'( You're going to be really depressed then. They molested the show. All the blood has been recoloured an ugly blue, and the music has been changed, the characters have bad voice actors, and they added in lame digital transitions. I hate it

I believe in one of the episodes, they called their blood "Mystical energies" and they went to sleep instead of dying. That is where the "my mystical fluid boils at the thoughts of mass naked child events came from."
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 14:03   Link #6
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
the tv show ( the 80s show not the Hades chapter ) is really old and pretty bad ( the french dub version is ugly and the dvd is ugly too ) the manga is far better, it's fun to watch, but don't purchase the films before you see them, they are alwayd the same.
the manga rocks especially the hades chapter, if you saw the hades anime you'll find it even more incredible.
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 14:53   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Well, it wasn't butchered as much as Cardcaptor Sakura, but it was really, REALLY painful to watch. If you're looking for some sort of nostalgic value from Knights of the Zodiac, you should probably avoid watching it altogether and just buy the unedited DVDs.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 17:22   Link #8
LVO

I agree. It's awful to watch. Its like a train wreck. All the blood is green or blue, and the jokes fall all over themselves. Its just terrible. I dont even think I can watch Saint Seyia after being molested by this steaming pile.
LVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 17:28   Link #9
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty81
the tv show ( the 80s show not the Hades chapter ) is really old and pretty bad ( the french dub version is ugly and the dvd is ugly too ) the manga is far better, it's fun to watch, but don't purchase the films before you see them, they are alwayd the same.
the manga rocks especially the hades chapter, if you saw the hades anime you'll find it even more incredible.
I have the french (unedited as far as I know) DVD version of them and even though the DVD hardly have any extra's I'm pretty satisfied about them.

It looks old (what did you expect) but it's very fun to see, it also brings out so many nostalgic feelings when I see this show as it used to air on french tv when I was a kid. I wouldn't know about the dubs because i've never seen les chevaliers du zodiac in any other language than french. Now matter how you look at it this show rocks, I just hope they don't butcher it up too much in the States
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 19:14   Link #10
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
i'm a latin american fan of saint seiya, and as many of you i've watch the series when i was a kid. I don't even want to imagine how saint seiya would be with blue/green blood and stupid jokes, so if you can you should buy the unedited version.

Fortunately for latin american fans cartoon network is re-airing the series "almost" unedited. They have remove some parts, which piss me off, but in general the story, characters, music etc. is intact (and the blood is RED!).

If you are lucky enough to have cartoon network la you should watch it!! of course, is in spanish...
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 20:19   Link #11
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Angry

The CN version is a crime against humanity. period. Saint Seiya is a true classic, yet b/c a friend of mine accidentally saw Knights of the Zodiac first...he's pretty much renounced the old series no matter what..hell...as soon as I started to hear and see the intro I almost hit my TV...then the dub started...and the weird slip and slide sound effects for no reason...and the total..well...LYING about the character's backstory..for cripes sake...Hyouga is a bad-ass russo-japanese guy..from syberia...yet in the CN verion he's just some Butthole surfer, Michaelangelo from TMNT ripoff. I praise ADV for releasing uncut, subbed dvd versions..of which a box set of some sort will most likely come later on this year. I even hear that their dub is much better and different...but compared to Dic..castration is much better and different too.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 19:04   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

they changed the opening theme
it's now that song "I Ran" by that 80s british band sung by some gawdawful 00's boy band (the song just doesn't sound right when it's sung with an american accent)
the OP is a good reflection on the show itself...if you want the real "I Ran" experience, by the CD (or use the internet /snicker), if you want the real Saint Seiya experience, buy the DVDs
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:52   Link #13
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
they changed the opening theme
it's now that song "I Ran" by that 80s british band sung by some gawdawful 00's boy band (the song just doesn't sound right when it's sung with an american accent)
the OP is a good reflection on the show itself...if you want the real "I Ran" experience, by the CD (or use the internet /snicker), if you want the real Saint Seiya experience, buy the DVDs

they change the OP THEME?!?!? im bombing CN, seriously.

those bastards... they are ruining Saint Seiya's reputation!!! the op and ending theme of every season are JUST AMAZING! you should find the originals and listen to them if you can.

Damn, all of you are really missing one of the best series ever...
Old 2004-04-09, 23:13   Link #14
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Don't blame CN for the mangling. I'm sure they'd air unaltered Saint Seiya if ADV had the TV rights.

Blame DiC, who have destroyed many a series on their own.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 23:36   Link #15
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Don't blame CN for the mangling. I'm sure they'd air unaltered Saint Seiya if ADV had the TV rights.

Blame DiC, who have destroyed many a series on their own.
i didn't know that! well i'll bomb DiC instead
Old 2004-04-15, 21:25   Link #16
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

FINALLY! Carton Network has stopped airing Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya)! Even the people who watched CN thought that edited was an awful dubbed version of the original one.

So long Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya) on Catoon Network! and please never come back! If you come back again please, come back unedited

If you want to find more information about this news please check this link:
Cartoon Network Forums

Oh by the way the show was really hilarious in CN, wanna read some posts about it:

http://forums.toonzone.net/search.php?searchid=204377

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-04-15 at 22:09.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 17:36   Link #17
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
FINALLY! Carton Network has stopped airing Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya)! Even the people who watched CN thought that edited was an awful dubbed version of the original one.

So long Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya) on Catoon Network! and please never come back! If you come back again please, come back unedited

If you want to find more information about this news please check this link:
Cartoon Network Forums

Oh by the way the show was really hilarious in CN, wanna read some posts about it:

http://forums.toonzone.net/search.php?searchid=204377
im glad and sad about that. When CN announced they were going to air saint seiya, i was happy that finally the only part of the world who didn't know saint seiya was going to see it. But when i read about the awful editing all i could ask was that they put it an end to the massacre of my best series, well now we can only pray for an unedited air of SS...
Old 2004-12-16, 23:53   Link #18
ohtori_akio
Gold Saint of Pisces

Saint Seiya American Release

I was just wondering if anyone had seen Vol 9 of the american Saint Seiya release because I wanted to know if it was worth getting. I have seen the whole series before and I just wanted to know if there is anything worthwhile on the disc. I have tried going to www.animeondvd.com to see what they said about the disc but no review has yet been posted. The list of things they need to review before it seems long, hope someone can enlighten me. Thank you.
ohtori_akio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 00:35   Link #19
Ariesmu

I don't have vol 9 but I can't imagine there is anything extra... probably just like the previous volumes.
Ariesmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 05:50   Link #20
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

The R1 volumes of Saint Seiya are a bit lax in extras, however volumes 5+ are as cheap as chips for 5 eps a disc, plus I think they're using "slightly" altered R2 masters (altered as in overlayed OP). Still pretty good, though.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote