AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-14, 23:30   Link #41
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
the GN particles and its job - jamming radar and such - make it useful so that the MS under attack would not be able to alert other reinforcements, thereby ending the mission quickly. So I do not see why the in-universe explanation of the GN particles does not work.
While that may be the theory, it hasn't really worked out that way so far. We've already seen three separate cases of reinforcements attacking the Gundams (well, Exia) before they made good their escape.
Old 2007-11-14, 23:31   Link #42
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I still don't know about that @_@
Look at Dynames flipping around in the air avoiding shots! We haven't even seen Exia pull crazy stunts like that yet = (
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 00:28   Link #43
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Spoiler for not everyone has seen all Gundam 00 episodes yet!:

When it appears to be that they were able to call a lot of reinforcements in order to destroy Exia, it has always happened in events wherein there are already a couple of spare MS in the battlefield and saw for themselves that Exia was right there with them. The GN Drives seem to work only when the MS pilots themselves get close to one of the Gundams, so when they are still quite far from the Gundams and managed to have a visual of the Gundam, it would make sense that MS who have seen the Gundams would follow them, or if enemy battleships spotted the Gundams prior to their attacks, manage to send reinforcements their way without the pilots requesting for backup themselves.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!

Last edited by Eidolon Sniper; 2007-11-15 at 00:48. Reason: not all people have seen all Gundam 00 episodes yet!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 00:35   Link #44
4Tran

Quote:
When it appears to be that they were able to call a lot of reinforcements in order to destroy Exia, it has always happened in events wherein there are already a couple of spare MS in the battlefield and saw for themselves that Exia was right there with them.
Yes, that's exactly what reinforcements are: troops in the vicinity that are called upon when they are required.
Old 2007-11-15, 00:38   Link #45
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

I think the answer to GN question is simple: you need a large quantity for it to shut down radar and radio systems.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 00:58   Link #46
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

But if you mean requesting for reinforcements, then that is another different thing entirely. The MS in the vicinity are by no means reinforcements, they are already part of the battlefield. Requesting for backup would be by all means made void because of the GN Drives that could screw up their communications even if they wanted to. Also, Graham and the others which could be seen as "reinforcements" are not in the literal sense, they were counting on Celestial Being to show up, they already knew Celestial Being would show up, and they were not sent there because the Gundams already showed up and people requested for them to come along.

Spoiler:

Old 2007-11-15, 01:36   Link #47
4Tran

Quote:
But if you mean requesting for reinforcements, then that is another different thing entirely. The MS in the vicinity are by no means reinforcements, they are already part of the battlefield.
I'm afraid that you're quite mistaken as to what reinforcements are. Basically, any time that additional troops arrive at a battlefield, with a view towards supporting friendlies, after an action has begun are considered reinforcements. In three of the cases, mobile suits that weren't present at the the start of the engagement showed up to confront Exia.
Old 2007-11-15, 02:31   Link #48
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Spoiler:

Additional battle units that are requested from the battlefield itself are what I was talking about as reinforcements.

Old 2007-11-15, 10:04   Link #49
4Tran

Eidolon Sniper, are you trying to redefine military terms?
Old 2007-11-15, 10:48   Link #50
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

No I am not. Wherever did you get that idea? I was just basically using the premise that the MS who are already there on the Gundam battlefield (not all those who showed up being requested after the incident mind you, if they were) are not reinforcements of some kind.

Spoiler:

Old 2007-11-22, 20:13   Link #51
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post

In terms of Infinite Justice (and Gundam Epyon for that matter), those suits while they were melee-oriented, weren't these little glass gundams. If they got into close range on any target, it was pretty much over for them. Not to mention that Epyon more or less had armies of mobile dolls to provide ranged backup, and infinite justice has meteor, but I digress.
Three things.

Little Glass Gundams? So far, the only time that the Exia has suffered anything close to damage period was when Sergei caught its head, and that was a "if it goes on for another five minutes, I will break" kind of rush. The Exia has yet to have a scratch either on its armor or its shield, even though it has stopped the heaviest solid-round of the series so far (from the Tieren cannon), and has been treating linear rifles as less than bee stings every episode so far. In fact, only Graham's super-new-advanced linear rifle has knocked a prepared Exia off-balance.

Second, you just defined the Exia. The only two pilots to keep their mobile suit after engaging Setsuna at anything closer than long-range have been Graham and Ali. Even named pilot Sergei was totaled. So, by the animation thus far, if the Exia gets into close range on any target, it is more or less over for them. Considering how named pilots were conspicuously NOT being 100% shot down by the Epyon or IJ either, I don't think you can hold Setsuna's two named survivors against him.

And third, Exia does have ranged support; it's called the Dynames. Exia charges in, sows chaos, and then people start attacking him from long range. And every time this has become a problem to where he is facing the inkling of trouble, Dynames comes to shoot down the people taking pot-shots at him. Whether the circle of Hellions, Tieren with cannons, or Ali Sanders himself, Dynames has been there to give support to Exia, who actually has a gun.

Quote:
In terms of Gundam 00's universe, meleeing makes no sense. The gundams have stealth, comm jamming, and a whole bunch of other properties by virtue of their GG particles, whereas the OTHER MSes do NOT. This is why I'm not surprised to see Kyrios missile-spamming (when the hell did a gundam do that the last time?) or why Dynames is such ownage.
GN particles are also radar-jamming as well (actually, that would be instead of stealth), so why don't you take this to UC as well? The generic gundam answer is that with long-range radar and sensor blocking, beyond-visual combat is obsolete. Which means that you can only shoot what you can see, and because robots can be made much more durable than humans, close-range is a distinct possibility. And in the case that you get close, something better than a rifle stock would help.

And before you ask how the Kyrios can fire its missiles, you can go with (a) the Gundams hadn't dispersed enough GN particles to nullify missiles yet, or (b) they're heat-tracking, or (c) just accept that sometimes the rules don't apply to super-robots.

But really, it's not worth getting upset over. Gundams in series across the board have carried giant shields that are somehow stronger than tanks or battleship armor or colony walls or asteroids, but few people ever get upset about them. If you're going to watch a giant-robot show, you've already agreed to the "Big Lie" of plausibility.

Quote:
It seems Exia is simply the token red white and blue melee gundam, but given the circumstances, why do we need melee?
You do realize you're watching Gundam, right? Why is there melee in the later UC century, even though everyone and their mother has beam rifles? Why does G Gundam have melee when they don't even have the generic M-particle? Why does AC have Deathscyth, when it has all those other properties?

Because it's Gundam, and giant robots with beam weapons (tm) is fun. And because the Exia has the excuse of being a Super Robot in a show which the director has already stated will compare/contrast Super Robots vs. Real Robots, and most classic super robots have big swords.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 22:29   Link #52
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Well since people are making the correlation that 00 is similar or the next coming of Wing....

Do you really want the main protagonist's suit to have OMGBFG huge rifle blasters again?

I think having a melee style fitting the main character is a nice change from the past few series so far.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 01:48   Link #53
Bocca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginer View Post
Do you really want the main protagonist's suit to have OMGBFG huge rifle blasters again?
Isn't Tieria/Virtue have that spot covered?
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 06:22   Link #54
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocca View Post
Isn't Tieria/Virtue have that spot covered?
Yes, but Tieria isn't the main protagonist. Unless things seriously go down in later episodes, you'll never see Setsuna pull a beam spam or the Leo-effect from a single shot.

Tieria might, but then again it won't be the main character doing so.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 19:34   Link #55
Cherudim Arche

I doubt that Setsuna would try borrowing Virtue's bazooka, even if it is possible for the gundams to exhange weapons. On the battlefield,see exia running with a bazooka that will drain more than half of the energy would be very unlikely.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 23:35   Link #56
vblaze101

As to why Exia would need physical swords/blades, the only logical explanation I can think of is beam sabers not working under water. I do not know if Dynames actually has more armor, but considering that Exia can carry that massive shield, I could see it. As far as I see, when using the GN Blades, Exia sacrifices protection (its heavy shield) for extra agility.
vblaze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 23:39   Link #57
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblaze101 View Post
As to why Exia would need physical swords/blades, the only logical explanation I can think of is beam sabers not working under water. I do not know if Dynames actually has more armor, but considering that Exia can carry that massive shield, I could see it. As far as I see, when using the GN Blades, Exia sacrifices protection (its heavy shield) for extra agility.
The official reason stated by the HG Exia model kits as to why the Exia uses solid blades is that the GN Beam Sabers and Beam Daggers can be affected/diffused by various atmospheric conditions, thus despite their power the alternative GN Blades and GN Sword are still Exia's preferred weapons.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 23:47   Link #58
vblaze101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The official reason stated by the HG Exia model kits as to why the Exia uses solid blades is that the GN Beam Sabers and Beam Daggers can be affected/diffused by various atmospheric conditions, thus despite their power the alternative GN Blades and GN Sword are still Exia's preferred weapons.
Wow....that's actually are pretty solid explanation.
vblaze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 23:53   Link #59
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Guess the beam sabers/daggers are Exia's sort of backup weapons?
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 00:02   Link #60
Cherudim Arche

If Exia needs greater speed, why would it carry such a heavy shield instead of an attached or lighter one in combat.

I think the beam sabers and daggers aren't reliable enough for a backup weapon if it could be change by conditions so easily.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote