AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-07-14, 20:07   Link #1
BaronNoir

Lucy (2014 movie). Is this me or....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYxjolQUs4

Luc Besson is in(famous) for trying to put a Japanese touch in his works.

Sure, it's a pretty common move to name ''the first born'' of a new Human type ''Lucy'', sure telekinetic powers are fairly common, but.....

No one thinks that there is a slight possibility of a certain hommage to ''psycho psychic killer'''' anime, especially a certain one ?
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 22:06   Link #2
Jaden

Maybe...I'd need to see at least one more reference to buy it though. At this point it's just the name.

Besides that, I'm happy to see the "10% brain potential" trope is still alive and well, lol. It's been some time since I last saw that being used.
Old 2014-07-14, 22:24   Link #3
BaronNoir

Isn't this the basic plot point of ''Akira'', which is most likely the ''genre setting'' anime in the psychic power genre ?
Old 2014-07-15, 02:26   Link #4
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This film reeks of "Akira" tropes, but the trailers don't seem impressive to me.

BTW, besides Luc Besson directing, Christopher Lambert (Highlander) is the producer.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:04   Link #5
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
At least Luc Besson is trying to explore genres when it comes to french film directors. Our local production is terrible, we either have to choose between comedy, romcom, social drama or adultery movies. Genres such as sci-fi and horror don't even register in our producers and critics' radars.

My favorite Besson is still Leon the Professional.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 07:02   Link #6
BaronNoir

Indeed, it does look like ''Live Action Akira'', but when you name your movie ''Lucy'' in such an attempt....it at least make thinks to ''Elfen Lied''

(I mean, Elfen Lied have it's flaws, but it's kinda iconic)
Old 2014-07-15, 07:08   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Besides that, I'm happy to see the "10% brain potential" trope is still alive and well, lol. It's been some time since I last saw that being used.
My complete opposite reaction
Please use some other pseudo-scientific justification for ESP powers, this one has grown stale...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 07:11   Link #8
BaronNoir

But I think that the whole point of this allegedly excuse plot is that it's the Akira one.
Old 2014-07-15, 07:29   Link #9
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
But I think that the whole point of this allegedly excuse plot is that it's the Akira one.
There's a whole Page on tvtropes about this.

The oldest one seems to be Asimov's "Pebble in the sky" (1950)

But the first who used it might be even older.

Old 2014-07-16, 01:28   Link #10
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Anyone else start to notice a depressing tendency for western movie "heroes" on Asian soil (in the case of "Lucy", Taiwan), gleefully beating-up Asians (like Wolverine did) or outright murdering Asians in cold blood like Lucy did in the trailers, for the "crime" of not being able to speak English, on ASIAN SOIL.

And all this despicable behavior is played for laughs.

All I wanted to do was to watch the heartwarming Jidai-Geki Neko Zamurai, and had the whole experience ruined by this repulsive trailer in a Taiwanese Cinema.

Well, fuck you Scarlet Johanassen, I'll be cheering for your character to die when Avengers 2 comes out, if you think murdering Asians for not speaking English is so "funny."
Old 2014-07-16, 01:40   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Yes.. because Scarlet Johanssen or Natasha Romanova must clearly share the view of a character in this unrelated (french?) movie. Never mind that the character in the preview here was abducted, abused and forced to be a mule, so getting revenge for that is hardly surprising. Also if you were paying attention you'd have noticed that it appears to have been masterminded by some european guy - whom will probably die quite horribly (along with a bunch of other white guys, which btw doesn't bother me in the least).

Also, unexpected psychic powers or whatever is hardly a trope that is unique, nor developed by Akira.
Old 2014-07-16, 01:46   Link #12
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

The person she murdered was just a random boy talking to an innocent taxi driver after her escape from the villains' lab, his only crime being answering "no" to "do you speak English."

And she THEN points the gun at the completely innocent taxi-driver and coldly repeats the question, which he hurriedly answers "yes", and that was most definitely played for "humor"
Old 2014-07-16, 02:33   Link #13
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Really? This movie doesn't seem the type to focus on humor at all. The only incidental humor I got was with the french police officer, when his gun was spontaneously ejecting its bullets. I've watched this preview three times now, where the hell is this kid she supposedly shoots.

Oh there is a different preview, yes she shoots some guy - man - standing near a cab - and not for comedy, where you got that from I have no idea. But considering the fact she just broke out of some criminal den (and shot those guys whom were sitting around a table who were also part of that group), it's probably not much of a stretch that those guys standing near the cars were probably part of that group as well, acting as 'transport'. Seems plausible to me, and I could see the situation playing out exactly the same with white villains. Hell I've seen that situation with all white characters in past movies. Speaking english is just a minor point to get the impression across that she is on a mission and won't take shit, she could easily of shot him for say not being fast enough or simply refusing to do what she said.

Having said that I doubt any hero/lead Hollywood tries to push on us, especially a female one (with a kid, to double up on the sympathy factor - and brownie points with any female audience), is going to gun down an 'innocent' person. Thats the way these movies are generally played, especially if they want an easy time to get past the review board. I won't deny completely that it could happen, but at that point I'd say she is running high on the drugs, adrenaline and new powers to give much of a shit about anything in her way.

TBH, you seem like you're looking to be offended for the sake of being offended. Reverse the situation, Asian guy gets jumped by some criminal syndicate in New York and forced to mule drugs and runs around killing whities... would you be upset about that? I wouldn't, I'd be cheering the guy on if its a good enough revenge story. I'm sure if I went looking (I won't because I simply don't care enough) I'd find movies depicting white villains vs non-white heros (Hell there is enough white v white floating around, you wouldn't be able to pick up a cat let alone swing it around).
Old 2014-07-16, 07:39   Link #14
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Asian guy gets jumped by some criminal syndicate in New York and forced to mule drugs and runs around killing whities... would you be upset about that?
Way of the Dragon.

Bruce Lee goes to Rome and beats the crap out of several Italian mafia thugs, and then he proceeds to own the final boss: Chuck Norris!!!

I guess there is some bias though, the only movies where an asian hero beats whites that I can think of are Hong Kong/Chinese productions (Ip Man 2 is another, and basically all whites there are assholes )

But anyway, yeah, I don't get particularly offended.

Old 2014-07-16, 11:12   Link #15
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
The person she murdered was just a random boy talking to an innocent taxi driver after her escape from the villains' lab, his only crime being answering "no" to "do you speak English."

And she THEN points the gun at the completely innocent taxi-driver and coldly repeats the question, which he hurriedly answers "yes", and that was most definitely played for "humor"
If their genders were switched, this movie would be boycotted and that scene removed completely, the SJW's would be all over it.

I'm sorry but this movie looks like a mary sue story, even if it was fantasy. Human's use most of their brain % I don't know where this idiot writer got the idea that we don't. and we cartainly wouldn't able to freakin control time.

It's going to bomb, and the only people who are going to say it's good are the ones that let the leads appearance blind their sight to why it's terrible.

With Scarlet sueing someone for using her likeness in a BOOK and this? She's lost all credit she had as Black Widow now. =\

Poor Morgan Freeman too =\

................=\

how to fix the movie? remove Scarlet, remove the idiotic powers. put in a diffrent actress, just make her a superish soldier. the hair changing stuff is fine but no FREAKIN LOOKING AT DATA AND STOPPING TIME ETC...

unless this is all just a coma experience at the end, then go for it.......XD

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2014-07-16 at 11:20. Reason: =\
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 11:23   Link #16
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

I do not have the bandwidth to watch a trailer right now, but if this is the one I think it is, then she does not murder the guy next to the taxi driver (who is another taxi driver imo).
She 'only' shoots him in the leg... (you can hear him go 'my leg!' some seconds later, which is to indicate he is fine, because in movies, people who are shot die instantly, unless the plot demands otherwise).

Still an assholish move, but maybe they are trying to establish her as some kind of grey/crazy/dangerous character. I can not sense any kind of joke in this. To me it was supposed to show she is very desperate to get away and possibly not quite sane any more.

On the other hand, the initial trope of 'seducing the guard to get closer' was incredibly stupid...
If we want to find reasons this movie will suck, this one right there is it for me.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 12:00   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
On the other hand, the initial trope of 'seducing the guard to get closer' was incredibly stupid...
If we want to find reasons this movie will suck, this one right there is it for me.
That was the very first scene where I said "Oh good! a full length movie with Black Widow as the main character!"...THEN she started getting super powers....
Old 2014-07-16, 14:54   Link #18
BaronNoir

Luc Besson is not exactly know for having very favourable views on Western policeman, if this can console you.
Old 2014-07-16, 15:02   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYxjolQUs4

Luc Besson is in(famous) for trying to put a Japanese touch in his works.

Sure, it's a pretty common move to name ''the first born'' of a new Human type ''Lucy'', sure telekinetic powers are fairly common, but.....

No one thinks that there is a slight possibility of a certain hommage to ''psycho psychic killer'''' anime, especially a certain one ?
if there is a homage it would be most likely to Stephen Kings Firestarter.
Old 2014-07-16, 15:22   Link #20
BaronNoir

So no one is getting an ''Elfen Lied'' vibe out of this ?

(considering rather obviously that a 14 years old naked girl would be impossible in a western movie)