AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-23, 18:33   Link #4381
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Source? If this is true, then we really are going to get a Rika-hijack AGAIN.
Just because someone stops acting like bitch or who you describe her behaviour doesn't mean we get a Rika-hijack. Seriously and to be honest if Ryukishi wants that to happen I'm fine with it.
Old 2009-12-23, 18:48   Link #4382
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Source? If this is true, then we really are going to get a Rika-hijack AGAIN.
right here

Spoiler for Major part concerning Erika:

Translation was done by Chrono but the translation page has had too many posts for me to go through
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 22:08   Link #4383
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Just because someone stops acting like bitch or who you describe her behaviour doesn't mean we get a Rika-hijack. Seriously and to be honest if Ryukishi wants that to happen I'm fine with it.
So you'd rather a character who for all intents and purposes didn't exist in the question arcs to suddenly become the main focus of the plot? Christ, that's even worse than the Rika-hijack.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit rude, but I've seen excellent works ruined by the author falling in love with a character that no one else likes, or that by all rights shouldn't be popular. I can only hope this doesn't happen to Umineko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
*snip*
I haven't yet played Ep5, but... from what I've heard, Erika she is most definitely a bad person. Sympathetic, yes, but a bad person.

Ryukishi saying that gives me a distinct sense of dread. I'm very worried about how the series is going to turn out now...

This doesn't mean I don't want Erika to be redeemed in some way, but I don't want her to become the next Beatrice, either.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 22:11   Link #4384
Marion
The Great Dine

Again it's just a theory. Nothing confirms what Erika is or how she just appeared.

Spoiler for Erika, EP 5:
Old 2009-12-23, 22:11   Link #4385
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
I really doubt Erika will hi-jack the series. She may become the only detective on the gameboard (until Battler slowly kills her while ahaha.wav plays), but the meta-world stuff will probably all still be about Battler.

And I liked the Rika-hijack.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 23:21   Link #4386
Marion
The Great Dine

A joke when the game came out (and still is) is that Erika did technically hijack the game, along with Bern and Lambda. Like they literally take the game and do as they please the entire time. Thus she's compared to Rika, who sorta hijacked Higurashi in the answer arcs.
Old 2009-12-23, 23:30   Link #4387
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
A joke when the game came out (and still is) is that Erika did technically hijack the game, along with Bern and Lambda. Like they literally take the game and do as they please the entire time. Thus she's compared to Rika, who sorta hijacked Higurashi in the answer arcs.
Which seemed to be Ryukishi making fun of himself, yeah.

The problem is that he doesn't appear to be doing that intentionally.
Old 2009-12-24, 00:39   Link #4388
chronotrig

Quote:
Which seemed to be Ryukishi making fun of himself, yeah.

The problem is that he doesn't appear to be doing that intentionally.
Please. please wait to read EP5 before you try and bash Ryuukishi on this. Erika is very much intentionally made to be a Mary Sue, and the game makes this obvious. She is a Mary Sue, but she's Bern's Mary Sue. This is Bernkastel writing herself into Beatrice's story, not Ryuukishi himself getting obsessed with a random character. It's almost like Bern's treating this game like her own fanfic ^^;

Also, as far as we know, Ryuukishi has never added something in an answer arc that wasn't hinted to in an earlier arc. I'd be willing to bet that Erika is somehow related to something we've already seen.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 00:44   Link #4389
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Please. please wait to read EP5 before you try and bash Ryuukishi on this. Erika is very much intentionally made to be a Mary Sue, and the game makes this obvious. She is a Mary Sue, but she's Bern's Mary Sue. This is Bernkastel writing herself into Beatrice's story, not Ryuukishi himself getting obsessed with a random character.
...I'll probably understand better after I play the game, but... I'm just worried.

It's more the line in that interview that worries me, though, as I continue to say.

Quote:
Also, as far as we know, Ryuukishi has never added something in an answer arc that wasn't hinted to in an earlier arc. I'd be willing to bet that Erika is somehow related to something we've already seen.
Er, wasn't there several pieces of red stating that she wasn't related to previous events? This is an actual question...
Old 2009-12-24, 00:49   Link #4390
chronotrig

Quote:
...I'll probably understand better after I play the game, but... I'm just worried.

It's more the line in that interview that worries me, though, as I continue to say.

Er, wasn't there several pieces of red stating that she wasn't related to previous events?
It says she never influences previous games or "worlds".

It could be that she exists only before or after the actual game, either by witnessing something shortly before the tragedy or being somehow involved in the aftermath.
And if she has a vessel of some kind, that might appear in previous games without contradicting the red.

Plus, all this red only refers the the piece Erika. It might not refer to meta-Erika at all.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 00:53   Link #4391
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:

Er, wasn't there several pieces of red stating that she wasn't related to previous events? This is an actual question...
Her arrival on the island might be a result of some underlying phenomenon that generated other events in the previous games. For instance, one of the characters could be running some kind of scheme, and Erika was hired to support it in Episode 5, but the schemer previously took different actions to support it that didn't involve Erika.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 00:57   Link #4392
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It could be that she exists only before or after the actual game, either by witnessing something shortly before the tragedy or being somehow involved in the aftermath.
...You know, if she really does have a boat, she could have been the one to discover the incident and alert the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Her arrival on the island might be a result of some underlying phenomenon that generated other events in the previous games. For instance, one of the characters could be running some kind of scheme, and Erika was hired to support it in Episode 5, but the schemer previously took different actions to support it that didn't involve Erika.
Yeah, she's pretty obviously some kind of accomplice. Bern's powers notwithstanding, human beings cannot swim two miles in a hurricane.
Old 2009-12-24, 01:11   Link #4393
luckyssol

Quote:
...You know, if she really does have a boat, she could have been the one to discover the incident and alert the police.
Yes, apparently she was on a boat somewhere near the island on October 4th. If this were true then it wouldn't change between the games.
Quote:
Yeah, she's pretty obviously some kind of accomplice.
I don't think she has any idea who did the murders or how they were done based on how the ???? Tea Party went.
Quote:
Bern's powers notwithstanding, human beings cannot swim two miles in a hurricane.
Yes, I agree.
Old 2009-12-24, 01:20   Link #4394
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I don't think she has any idea who did the murders or how they were done based on how the ???? Tea Party went.
Hence why I said "some kind" of accomplice.

She can't have killed anyone as per the red, but she can definitely be involved with the killings in some indirect way.
Old 2009-12-24, 01:31   Link #4395
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Hence why I said "some kind" of accomplice.

She can't have killed anyone as per the red, but she can definitely be involved with the killings in some indirect way.
But then couldn't the same thing be said about battler then?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 01:55   Link #4396
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
But then couldn't the same thing be said about battler then?
Absolutely. Battler is not the culprit. However, because of his sin, a great many people on Rokkenjima die.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 02:12   Link #4397
Marion
The Great Dine

I agree with Chrono. Erika is obviously made to both show the nasty side of the people who are completely anti-fantasy (if we can even use that term anymore) but is also an obvious copy of Bern herself as a human, which is why people theorize she's a bad end Rika.

Erika has a sin. Because of this sin people die.

but in all seriousness, Erika can be indirectly involved but it depends on what you see as indirect. She can't be a killer herself, but she can't be involved in murdering in any direct way either, which counts her out as an accomplice. I doubt her very presence causes death like with Battler, because she appears only in EP 5 on the gameboard, but it doesn't mean she couldn't have done something to help the culprit in some odd fashion or accidentally. Maybe one of her 'detective' checks could have given a doorway into the culprit's doings.

Spoiler for Major EP 5 spoiler:
Old 2009-12-24, 02:20   Link #4398
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

What says she can't be directly and knowing helping the murderer? She simply cannot be a culprit, a killer.

She has the status of detective, but that doesn't mean she's actively working for the forces of good. I'm pretty positive she's working with The Man From 19 Years Ago, from what I've heard on this board...
Old 2009-12-24, 03:40   Link #4399
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I for one enjoyed whenever Erika was in Ep5 because it gave me someone to really dislike inside the game board. I never felt that dislike for any character for either side. I never felt that much dislike for a meta-character either.

Actually, That Bitch comes off as a satire of the extremes of the anti-magic side, so much so that not only does it affect the players but Battler's side as well. In fact, one might say that this intention was not only by the author Ryukishi himself, but that Bern herself might have this intention.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 04:37   Link #4400
luckyssol

Who would have thought that after all the insane magical characters Ryukishi introduced over the first four games that a normal human would be considered the most ridiculous character by far.

Did Lambdadelta create a false scene when Natsuhi got the first phone call from the man from 19 years ago? That happened before October 4th...