AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-11, 07:26   Link #81
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Then I guess when we compete during the Olympics or other international athletic events, we become British just cause it "suits us"
Naturally Scotland aren't in this to support their own first as England would, but since it's on an international level based on the UK's #1 sport, I'm fairly sure the entire island will be watching how England play, esp against US.
You know that we talking about football right?
There is no way someone from scotland will support the english, we only watch their games to see how bad they suck ^^.
Honestly, you do not want to run around with an england shirt in some areas in scotland, unless you want to visit the local infirmary.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 07:43   Link #82
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

England vs USA .... Anyone watched John Oliver's report on the expectations of the US soccer team? It was freaking hilarious! (John Oliver, the British guy from the Daily Show)

Dam there is so much tension between England and USA at this point... its crazy! and I am not just talking about soccer but the overall tension generated by the whole "oil spill" issue in the gulf.... I know many people won't admit it but there is a certain level of animosity there as to how the rhetoric has been handled...

Very interesting stuff indeed...... Isn't it amusing when BFFs fight? lol
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 07:49   Link #83
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
England vs USA .... Anyone watched John Oliver's report on the expectations of the US soccer team? It was freaking hilarious! (John Oliver, the British guy from the Daily Show)
URL please ^_^
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 07:52   Link #84
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
You know that we talking about football right?
There is no way someone from scotland will support the english, we only watch their games to see how bad they suck ^^.
Honestly, you do not want to run around with an england shirt in some areas in scotland, unless you want to visit the local infirmary.
Seeing how much we suck? xD
This coming from a country that didn't even qualify, not makes many appearences in the UEFA tourneys, of which in this case, England are facing against a country that has influenced and shaped some of the laws UK and government indirectly, much to the UK's disapproval? (I am aware that Scotland does have their own lot as well)
But it's a matter of national pride (and a few other things in history) going on here. If Scots truly will be depressed if England beat America, I'd pay to see that. xD
At times when England get to the final 8, what do you say then? *amused*
Before you tease about how much we suck, you should check on how much you blow
Stings a little darling, I guess my scottish mates are a lot friendlier than you then, but I'd love to meet you in a pub and have it out in person if you truly wanna mock us about football of all things.
(I do miss insult swapping)

I know enough that if someone calls a Scottish person English, they're signing their death certificate. Football wise, given that's it's an international level, I rarely sense much apathy from them, well aside from you
In this case I guess you're rooting for America then?

PS:
Has it began now, it's past 2pm in SA time. There's no broadcast on it on TV atm, am I missing the opening ceremony?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 07:59   Link #85
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
URL please ^_^
Hopefully this link will work in ur country.... I think this site filters by GeoIP... give it a shot anyways, its very funny stuff:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...0-tim-pawlenty

This is the whole ep... the soccer report is like 7-10 mins in ... so u'll have to fast forward a bit..
Old 2010-06-11, 08:03   Link #86
solomon

Is there some opening ceremony? Wouldn't know since ESPN is showing NBA highlights for like the 100th DAMN TIME!!!

JEEZ I Don't care about goddamn USC sanctions either, SHOW THE OPENING REGALITY DAMMIT!!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 08:06   Link #87
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Is there some opening ceremony? Wouldn't know since ESPN is showing NBA highlights for like the 100th DAMN TIME!!!

JEEZ I Don't care about goddamn USC sanctions either, SHOW THE OPENING REGALITY DAMMIT!!!
Yeah that sucks, both ESPN 1 & 2 are so full of it... apparently they'll start at 6:30AM PST - 9:30 EST

EDIT:

They just started reporting on the WC.... 6:11AM PST - 9:11 EST
Old 2010-06-11, 08:46   Link #88
solomon

Don't get me wrong I think ESPN is gonna do a decent job, they have had good cross promotion is is gonna stream everything on their killer internet and mobile service.

Yet during all this the Cup was never front page news, College football shakeups and NBA and NHL finals (which really no one south of DC cares about) along with regular baseball coverage has trumped World Cup news.

Just goes to show that despite the sport making inroads, it still has a way to go.
Old 2010-06-11, 09:02   Link #89
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

It begins now.
Such a foreign feeling seeing a row of cute little black kids (as well as other races) standing by the players, this truly is a first in history in some many ways ^^
(and here's to trying to learn football terms in japanese for the month) x.x;;;

I also forgot how funny it is to see the players sing their national anthems.
(and i know (well my mum can sing it) the SA song from somewhere, didn't realise it was their anthem though) O.o

11pm on my end, I'll be in bed in about an hour but will watch a little of the South Africa vs Mexico match. (daniel e will be keeping an eye on this)

Dodgy referees?
Foul, unfair play?
Let the drama begin ^^
May the best team win

PS:
On rizon for you IRC geeks:
Quote:
Global- [Lisa] South Africa is finally kicking off the 2010 FIFA World Cup, join us at #WorldCup to cheer for your team and discuss the games!
It's a lil crazy in there but a good place to rant/insult or lurk in amusement

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-06-11 at 09:15.
Old 2010-06-11, 09:20   Link #90
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
Hopefully this link will work in ur country.... I think this site filters by GeoIP... give it a shot anyways, its very funny stuff:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...0-tim-pawlenty

This is the whole ep... the soccer report is like 7-10 mins in ... so u'll have to fast forward a bit..
Naah, the first minutes were hilarious too ^_^ ... my goodness, Jamie Oliver...

Underestimate the US team at your own risk. I remember how they drew 1:1 against the later world champion Italy in 2006. Or how we only barely squeezed through 1:0 against the US in 2002, while they were clearly the better team.

So let's see what they can do in 2010!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 09:24   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's kick-off time~~

So far, Mexico are dominating the match. South Africa defence won't hold for long if they keep letting their opponents occupy their half of their pitch.

Hmm... all in all, a somewhat lukewarm game if not for the sheer amount of crowd excitement. But, boy, those South African air-horns are VERY irritating. They sound like the buzzing of a million bees amplified a thousand times.

EDIT:
Mexico really dominating indeed, with three good attempts in the past 10 minutes coming close to half-time, including one attempt ruled out at around the 35th minute for offside. This is quickly shaping out to be Mexico's game to win.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2010-06-11 at 09:46.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 09:29   Link #92
solomon

HAHHAHA, I thought they sound like dying geese.

Soccer noob but yea, it seems like the game is being run by El Tri

still to me (a noob) it's pretty fun
Old 2010-06-11, 10:01   Link #93
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Nexico held complete ascendancy for 35 minutes, but in the last 10 minutes of the half, South Africa definitely woke up and almost pinched one. Amazing there's been no goals yet. Khune has been really good and brave with the timing of his saves - he's almost the only reason South Africa aren't behind yet. Mokoehna has done well to keep Franco out of the action most of the time but Dos Santos is running rampant in the middle. South Africa had a few good counterattacks late. Perez was definitely struggling with keeping the long corners - if South Africa push him on his far post, he definitely looks weak and that may be how they need to pinch one.

Man, what is with that ball?! How many crosses/passes shot well past what the receiver was anticipating? It's definitely holding up in the air and the players are underestimating it.

Mexico do look the more likely to win, but Khune is having a good game, Mexico's passes into the penalty box are a bit off and Franco's chances with his headers were far too zesty. South Africa could pinch a goal on their fast break counterattacks, but they need to stop blazing it too fast - they're losing a lot of chances to attack from offside. If they continue to play like they were late in that half, they could catch Perez in a bad spot and capitalise.

Does anyone know what Juarez got that yellow card for? That handball didn't look intentional - seems a bit extreme for a yellow if that was the reason.
Old 2010-06-11, 10:02   Link #94
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
HAHHAHA, I thought they sound like dying geese.
Dying geese, i gotta remember that one xD

And man, doesn't the offside rule own?
I can imagine the mexicans around the world who are cursing it this moment
Anyways, sleep time for me, laters ^^

Old 2010-06-11, 10:18   Link #95
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

WHAT THE...?!

South Africa are in front! Tshabalala just got a great pass, did a good run on the left and struck it perfectly from long range!

We could have a real upset here.
Old 2010-06-11, 10:20   Link #96
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!!

But by the unexpected side, the hosts South Africa.

Sudden run down the left took Mexico by surprise at the 54th minute. Lucky break perhaps? Nice bouquet to the hosts nonetheless, the first goal of World Cup 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Man, what is with that ball?! How many crosses/passes shot well past what the receiver was anticipating? It's definitely holding up in the air and the players are underestimating it.
Since you mentioned it, the ball represents the latest in football technology.

It's called the Jabulani, which means "to celebrate" in isiZulu.
Quote:
The newly developed "Grip 'n' Groove" profile provides the best players in the world with a ball allowing an exceptionally stable flight and perfect grip under all conditions. Comprising only eight, completely new, thermally bonded 3-D panels, which for the first time are spherically molded, the ball is perfectly round and even more accurate than ever before.
England's Lampard approves the Jabulani.

AND MEXICO EQUALISE!!!!

South Africa didn't have a chance that time. Totally exposed with three Mexicans in the box. Marquez scores the equaliser at the 79th minute.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2010-06-11 at 10:42.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 10:42   Link #97
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

NOW we have a game! Marquez just capitalised on a great switch cross into the box. 1-1! Looks like those late substitutions are getting some zing back in Mexico's attack! A tense finish is in store.
Old 2010-06-11, 10:59   Link #98
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Great match. If it's only the 2nd half, then South Africa showed that they should win. But making too many mistakes and leaving so many good chances costed them two points

The rest of the group (Uruguay, France) probably will be happy with this draw
Old 2010-06-11, 11:01   Link #99
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

A draw will be perfect for us. Then we just need to win tonight.

My prediction :

France 2 - Uruguay 0

Old 2010-06-11, 11:04   Link #100
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

And a draw it was. Mphela had a great chance in injury time but struck the post. Good opener for the World Cup. South Africa would feel a bit unlucky not to have won that. Indeed it does help France and Uruguay.

I can't watch that second match live or I'll get no sleep tonight. I'll catch the replay later in the day. I'd expect France to win that one, but Uruguay can be rather tenacious.

Tags
fifa, football, soccer, sports, world cup