AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-13, 22:10   Link #81
ellifeedn
Thinker

You could say the same about Hina, but it looks like she doesn't mind.
Old 2012-01-14, 00:02   Link #82
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
You could say the same about Hina, but it looks like she doesn't mind.
I think its different with Hina, shes in a position of power, whereas it doesn't feel the same with Tashigi, whos more timid and weak.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:04   Link #83
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Sometimes when I pass here and see the kinds of utter nonsense some people talk it just makes me feel like humans as a whole are regressing.

It's like some people just don't read the manga, or they read it, and interpret it on a wild tangent. And then there are the random strange people who make the weirdest comments, like that weird person on the first page talking about Foxy all of a sudden. The crew is moving into the New World, and a Yonkou challenge is on the way, and the best contribution you could make to the discussion is to talk about Foxy, a side character who is almost completely irrelevant; his crew will probably never make it past the first half of the Grand Line.

And for the rest of the random assertions, and then a mentally stunted person comparing Pekoms to some character from Alice in Wonderland. I think when I read that post, I had my mind blown by how outlandishly moronic the idea was. Like, I don't think I could have made that retardedly insane kind of association even if I received formal training for it. I think when I read that post I quite easily may have lost anywhere between 40 and 60 IQ, no joke.

Is it that some of the people here probably, I don't know, just when they read the manga, they process the words, but their definition of the words is mapped to some nonstandard English dictionary, so the words have different meanings or something? Sometimes I pass here and I read, and the chapter may have clearly stated that X is the case. Then you see some incomprehensibly weird person saying something totally different and people have to REPLY to him and correct him on something that was made CLEAR in the chapter he would have only JUST read within the last week.

Like, what? It just confuses me so much...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:12   Link #84
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ Dude, calm down. I don't know about Foxy, but I'm sure that those posts about Alice in Wonderland were just jokes people were making about the chapter.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:38   Link #85
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
And then there are the random strange people who make the weirdest comments, like that weird person on the first page talking about Foxy all of a sudden. The crew is moving into the New World, and a Yonkou challenge is on the way, and the best contribution you could make to the discussion is to talk about Foxy, a side character who is almost completely irrelevant; his crew will probably never make it past the first half of the Grand Line.

Looks like you were referring to me, then!

And yes, I confess to being guilty as charged for caring about a random side character who wasn't featured in a ministory that, y'know, exclusively focuses on random side characters in the first place. So do please forgive me for my blatant display of cognitive dissonance just for my desire to see a past villain character on a single-page side story.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:49   Link #86
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
just for my desire to see a past villain character on a single-page side story.
Its hard to forgive you when its Foxy you want to see
Old 2012-01-14, 05:25   Link #87
bonsobon

People have their favourite characters so it's no suprise they want to see them again, even if its only for a page or two. It's no big deal really.
Old 2012-01-14, 10:56   Link #88
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Its hard to forgive you when its Foxy you want to see

If I had to choose between fun, interesting secondary villains like Foxy and Wapol or the bland, boring robots that make up primary villains like Eneru and Lucci, I'd pick the former so fast that it's not even funny.

But that's enough about my character preferences (for now). We can finally expect Luffy and co. to reach the New World within the next few chapters (maybe they'll even set off as soon as next chapter)! I think I mentioned in the last chapter thread that it's likely that Jinbei would accompany the Straw-Hats to the NW entrance even if he didn't join them yet. Well, now that it's been revealed that Big Mama was protecting his crew, I feel that he won't merely accompany them, he's likely to go ahead of them in order to handle some business on his own. In fact, Jinbei may even officially become a member once the brunt of Charlotte's wrath DOES reach the Straw-Hats.....

Oh, and I guess it is possible now that a marine ambush will await Luffy and co. upon reaching the NW. Which makes me curious, other than Smoker and Tashigi, are there any other particular noteworthy officers amongst those rowdy G5 marines (interesting new enemies are always a good thing in my book, after all )?
Old 2012-01-14, 11:07   Link #89
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

There will be joke characters in the new world too, I'm sure foxy can make a return.
Old 2012-01-14, 12:11   Link #90
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I think I mentioned in the last chapter thread that it's likely that Jinbei would accompany the Straw-Hats to the NW entrance even if he didn't join them yet.
About the path to the New World...I am so hoping there's a underwater Reverse Mountain kind of thing
Old 2012-01-14, 12:55   Link #91
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
fun, interesting secondary villains like Foxy and Wapol
Foxy and Wapol hardly qualify as interesting or fun though.

They are as robotic as Enel or Lucci in the sense that you know they will have a character depth of a piece of cardboard.
Old 2012-01-15, 04:35   Link #92
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

ok, i just have to say Tashigi stole the chapter for me. she was a cutesy-cutesy girl before but now, i already see her as a woman!! my god, jawdropping character design after 2 years, oda.hot and kickass <<33 Tashigi is officially my 3rd favorite female character from one piece.

about the chappy, caribou getting owned by pekoms, serves him fucking right! nothing much to say about this chapter but big mom's going to be a huge huge trouble.
Old 2012-01-15, 08:24   Link #93
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

A small thing to consider:

We of course don't know how well Big Mom rates on the potency scale among the Yonkou; and Luffy has already directly challenged her. By all means it's a fair and reasonable assumption to think then that she may be the weakest of them (?), which is why Oda is using her as the crew's entry level yonkou opponent.

Right now what I'm interested in most is knowing the power rankings among the Yonkou. Now while conjecturing that Big Mom may be least scary of the four may be fair, I'd also like to refrain from assuming that Oda is that static. I also always thought that Kaidou was the least powerful among the four, having fought with Gecko Moria with the latter escaping alive to re-establish a crew, seeming to think that it was possible for him to defeat Kaidou at some point.

We know that Shanks is most likely among the stronger of the four since he is Shanks frankly, and then because he held Kaidou back and presented himself at the Whitebeard battle seemingly unscathed.

So, between Big Mom and Kaidou, whom who you think is the actual "entry-level" Yonkou? It may be that Big Mom is stronger than Kaidou, but say, with the intervention of maybe the Revolutionaries (unlikely), or some form of alliance with another nation under Big Mom's control, Luffy will beat her anyway.

Tbh, I think that would be best as well, since it would be a bit more boring if Big Mom did turn out to be the weakest, and then she was also defeated first, and whatnot, it would just seem like "main character steamrolling" of an enemy. Them first defeating the 3rd most powerful Yonkou rather than the weakest would be something else altogether.

Additionally, a Yonkou is about to be displaced in the near future -- most likely Big Mom. Whom among the supernovas is a likely candidate for assuming the Yonkou position after said Yonkou is dethroned? Kidd? Luffy? Or maybe Marco will power up or has already powered up since the end of the war, who knows :|

How far has Kidd progressed since the time-skip? Apparently Big Mom's underlings are all very strong; Kidd sank two of her ships, and no doubt even if the crews weren't excessively strong, the underlings who were captaining the ships were very powerful, possibly also 300million+ bounty heads. Sinking two Yonkou ships without any fear is no joke.

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!

Last edited by holypanl; 2012-01-15 at 08:38.
Old 2012-01-15, 11:54   Link #94
ellifeedn
Thinker

OR Luffy doesn't have to fight any of the Emperors and when he becomes that big he will be declared the fifth one.
Old 2012-01-15, 12:04   Link #95
Jouten

Quote:
A small thing to consider:

We of course don't know how well Big Mom rates on the potency scale among the Yonkou; and Luffy has already directly challenged her. By all means it's a fair and reasonable assumption to think then that she may be the weakest of them (?), which is why Oda is using her as the crew's entry level yonkou opponent.

Right now what I'm interested in most is knowing the power rankings among the Yonkou. Now while conjecturing that Big Mom may be least scary of the four may be fair, I'd also like to refrain from assuming that Oda is that static. I also always thought that Kaidou was the least powerful among the four, having fought with Gecko Moria with the latter escaping alive to re-establish a crew, seeming to think that it was possible for him to defeat Kaidou at some point.

We know that Shanks is most likely among the stronger of the four since he is Shanks frankly, and then because he held Kaidou back and presented himself at the Whitebeard battle seemingly unscathed.

So, between Big Mom and Kaidou, whom who you think is the actual "entry-level" Yonkou? It may be that Big Mom is stronger than Kaidou, but say, with the intervention of maybe the Revolutionaries (unlikely), or some form of alliance with another nation under Big Mom's control, Luffy will beat her anyway.

Tbh, I think that would be best as well, since it would be a bit more boring if Big Mom did turn out to be the weakest, and then she was also defeated first, and whatnot, it would just seem like "main character steamrolling" of an enemy. Them first defeating the 3rd most powerful Yonkou rather than the weakest would be something else altogether.

Additionally, a Yonkou is about to be displaced in the near future -- most likely Big Mom. Whom among the supernovas is a likely candidate for assuming the Yonkou position after said Yonkou is dethroned? Kidd? Luffy? Or maybe Marco will power up or has already powered up since the end of the war, who knows :|

How far has Kidd progressed since the time-skip? Apparently Big Mom's underlings are all very strong; Kidd sank two of her ships, and no doubt even if the crews weren't excessively strong, the underlings who were captaining the ships were very powerful, possibly also 300million+ bounty heads. Sinking two Yonkou ships without any fear is no joke.
Saying that Kaido is weak just because Moriah escaped from him is BS. That would mean Kizaru is weak for not capturing a single supernova or Doflamingo being weak for not capturing a half dead Moriah.

And I wouldn't even go as far as "ranking" the Yonkou. It depends on their powers really when Luffy fights them. For example the Yami Yami no mi is probably much more effective against Luffy than the Gura Gura no Mi, but against most other people the Gura Gura no Mi ist probably the stronger DF.

Or another example is that Enel is definitely stronger than Lucci, but Luffy could beat him because of the properties of his rubber body without even having the power up of the gears, which would be impossible against Lucci. (Also Luffy seems to have the ability to absorb food and liquid faster, after consuming them which saved him against Crocodile's drying out powers, which would kill everybody else easily or why he could regenerate so fast after Magellan's deadly attack.

In One Piece, just because X defeats Y, doesn't mean that X defeats Z if Y defeats Z, especially if Luffy is involved. Luffy could be beaten up by Smoker and afterwards win against Big Mom, and I wouldn't even be shocked that much and I still wouldn't say that means that Smoker would be stronger than Big Mom if that happened
Old 2012-01-15, 14:33   Link #96
marvelB

Yeah, I'm also gonna have to say that it's a bit irresponsible to claim which emperor is the "weakest" at this point. I'm pretty sure that we'll have a similar case as with the Shichibukai in the sense that some emperors may have abilities that compensate for the lack of monstrous strength (as was the case for Moria). And really, I feel that Whitebeard's death made the power gap between the remaining emperors a bit more foggy. I remember a lot of people claiming during the ID arc that Kaidou was the weakest because he apparently tried to ambush Whitebeard during his journey to Marineford, but that obviously didn't explain the full extent of his power, no matter how cowardly a move it was. And frankly, Blackbeard is already proof enough that even cowardly lowlives can still be a force to be reckoned with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
OR Luffy doesn't have to fight any of the Emperors and when he becomes that big he will be declared the fifth one.

While possible, I'm still pretty sure that we'll see both friends AND foes amongst the emperors, as was also the case with the warlords. At the very least, Blackbeard is guaranteed to be a future enemy (with Shanks being a potential ally).
Old 2012-01-15, 14:43   Link #97
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
Saying that Kaido is weak just because Moriah escaped from him is BS. That would mean Kizaru is weak for not capturing a single supernova or Doflamingo being weak for not capturing a half dead Moriah.

And I wouldn't even go as far as "ranking" the Yonkou. It depends on their powers really when Luffy fights them. For example the Yami Yami no mi is probably much more effective against Luffy than the Gura Gura no Mi, but against most other people the Gura Gura no Mi ist probably the stronger DF.

Or another example is that Enel is definitely stronger than Lucci, but Luffy could beat him because of the properties of his rubber body without even having the power up of the gears, which would be impossible against Lucci. (Also Luffy seems to have the ability to absorb food and liquid faster, after consuming them which saved him against Crocodile's drying out powers, which would kill everybody else easily or why he could regenerate so fast after Magellan's deadly attack.

In One Piece, just because X defeats Y, doesn't mean that X defeats Z if Y defeats Z, especially if Luffy is involved. Luffy could be beaten up by Smoker and afterwards win against Big Mom, and I wouldn't even be shocked that much and I still wouldn't say that means that Smoker would be stronger than Big Mom if that happened
Exactly!Thank God some people get this.
Frankly,them "experience" and "not emperor level" topics are getting annoying,you can't actually know that Luffy can't defeat an emperor until he TRIES.This is NOT DBZ!

And the only argument there is against it is that some people "feel" that they're not ready yet because they haven't defeated anyone stronger than a Shichibukai.

And yeah IT IS obvious that they're gonna have 1-2 arcs in the NW before taking on Big Mom.
Old 2012-01-15, 17:03   Link #98
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

But without a doubt, there will be rankings among them -- that's the nature of Shounen, and don't forget, Shanks and Kaidou had an encounter before the war, and Shanks did come out apparently untouched. Whitebeard was called the "World's Strongest Man" both in his introduction during the Whitebeard-Shanks rendezvous at sea, and by Sengoku. Without a doubt, there is a ranking among the four, even if the differences in power are small.

Now, that's not to say that X-yonkou will definitely always defeat Y-yonkou: there are too many factors contributing to a fight between two Yonkou and their crews, which is probably the most highly variant factor: even if two of the Yonkou have a natural "dominance-inferiority" relationship, like Water vs. Fire fruits or something, the natural loser may have a high ranking crew member who could balance things out.

Additionally, with good planning or an ambush, etc, a weaker Yonkou may of course defeat a stronger one, but doubtless, there is a ranking. Relative power levels are the heart and soul of Shounen. Each new villain is appreciated with respect to the last one. "Wow, he's even stronger than X!"

Kaidou has been hinted very vaguely as being probably the least dangerous of the four, though the order of encounter for the crew seems to be saying that maybe Big Mom is the least.

Also, @above: Noktown: Whoever said that Luffy and Co. can't defeat a Yonkou now? The suggestion if you read my post more closely is that they should defeat a Yonkou no doubt, but maybe not the weakest one first -- that would be too static. I tabled the idea that maybe it would be more interesting (and a bit more respectful to the hype the Yonkou have received so far) if they had to team up with various other forces to take down the 3rd strongest. Reading and comprehension skills folks; they're crucial.

The developments from something like that would leave a bit more room for exploration of new allies and the various entry-level forces on the grand-line, and by showing the 3rd most powerful first in battle it would help to concrete the idea of a Yonkou being a supreme pirate, above the level that the others are on.

@MarvelB: Nah I'm not the kind of person to assume that fighting smart is cowardice. Kaidou attacking Whitebeard on his way to the HQ wasn't cowardly -- at the end of the day he was challenging him anyway: that's not cowardice. Blackbeard is no coward either, just intelligent enough to know not to fight Shanks with the Marines right there, the remnants of Whitebeard's crew whose leader he'd just killed, and Shanks' crew ready to kill him. Just wouldn't have been very smart at all.

Then they came for me!

Last edited by holypanl; 2012-01-15 at 17:15.
Old 2012-01-16, 04:01   Link #99
Undertaker

whoa hold on...

While Shanks might come out seemly unscathed during his little skirmish with Kaido, that doesn't mean Kaido got his ass kicked.

All that was been said was that Kaido attempted to attack WB from behind and was intercepted by Shanks. For all we know Kaido could have just retreated and the two never fought.

Really, Croc was the first Shikibukai to fall, but any sane person won't say that he is the weakest of the Shikibukai and same can be said with Moria. Heck, everyone keep saying Daflamago is strong, but we have yet to see him in a direct fight, all we seen so far was him using his power to manipulate others to fight not unlike what Moria does.

Heck, one could even argure that Shanks isn't as strong a 1-on-1 fighter considering that Mihawk didn't care to duel him anymore and he might be more feared due to his haoshoku haki than his combat ability.

Are there strength differences? Sure, but so far other than WB being the strongest, there is zero supporting fact on who is the next strongest.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2012-01-16 at 08:19.
Old 2012-01-17, 16:46   Link #100
ntherblast

Quote:
Sometimes when I pass here and see the kinds of utter nonsense some people talk it just makes me feel like humans as a whole are regressing.

It's like some people just don't read the manga, or they read it, and interpret it on a wild tangent. And then there are the random strange people who make the weirdest comments, like that weird person on the first page talking about Foxy all of a sudden. The crew is moving into the New World, and a Yonkou challenge is on the way, and the best contribution you could make to the discussion is to talk about Foxy, a side character who is almost completely irrelevant; his crew will probably never make it past the first half of the Grand Line.

And for the rest of the random assertions, and then a mentally stunted person comparing Pekoms to some character from Alice in Wonderland. I think when I read that post, I had my mind blown by how outlandishly moronic the idea was. Like, I don't think I could have made that retardedly insane kind of association even if I received formal training for it. I think when I read that post I quite easily may have lost anywhere between 40 and 60 IQ, no joke.

Is it that some of the people here probably, I don't know, just when they read the manga, they process the words, but their definition of the words is mapped to some nonstandard English dictionary, so the words have different meanings or something? Sometimes I pass here and I read, and the chapter may have clearly stated that X is the case. Then you see some incomprehensibly weird person saying something totally different and people have to REPLY to him and correct him on something that was made CLEAR in the chapter he would have only JUST read within the last week.

Like, what? It just confuses me so much...
Pretty much the reason I don't visit these forums or at least the naruto, one piece and bleach sections because I face palm half the time when reading the comments
Closed Thread