Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-07-03, 11:46   Link #21
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitial View Post
I really can't imagine why they licensed it. It's not like the show has any mass appeal, and /a/ is not a productive demographic.
/a/ is more of a primary source of entertainment.

From whatever commentaries, information and other forms of punditry I've came across over the months since the finale, a lot of mind-blown people everywhere were actually asking for the show to be licensed.

OBTW, I think they're trying to renegotiate the licensing of Bakemono sometimes later.
Old 2011-07-03, 13:17   Link #22
NeoEevee

I just had the weirdest mental image... Laura Bailey as Kyouko, using a darker variant of the voice she uses for Maka Albarn.

Also, Vic Micnogna as Kyubey. *is shot a lot*

In all seriousness, here's my lineup for (part of) the main cast:

Michelle Ruff as Mami - Mami being a cool senior-type character, I'm picturing an odd blend of Yoko and Rukia's voices, depending on exactly how emotional Mami's getting at the moment.

Luci Christian as Madoka - has a cutesy, high-pitched voice, and is capable of a level of breathiness that gives off an air of innocence. Here's a scene from Princess Tutu where Duck isn't acting like a spazz. Watch it and tell me I'm wrong.

Aforementioned Laura Bailey as Kyouko - Just watch.

Trina Nishimura as Homura. Ahem.

As for Kyubey and Sayaka... no bleeping idea. \/ However, I think I'm a little too accustomed to the original to be able to listen to a dub. xD;

ACTUALLY, I LIED. Maxey Whitehead or Brittney Karbowski as Kyubey. Both are capable of innocent-sounding-yet-incredibly-creepy voices (Czeslaw Meyer, Selim Bradley), and let's face it - Kyubey sharing a voice with Alphonse Elric would be hilariously creepy, while sharing a voice with Selim Bradley would just be hilarious. Either actor could also bring out both Kyubey's cute and creepy side.

Still no idea who could be Sayaka though.
NeoEevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 13:32   Link #23
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
When I imagine the one who voiced Kagami in the dub as Kyubey, I feel like laughing.
Old 2011-07-03, 14:03   Link #24
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post

From whatever commentaries, information and other forms of punditry I've came across over the months since the finale, a lot of mind-blown people everywhere were actually asking for the show to be licensed.
You can say that. That also prompted the licensing in Italy as I said in the General discussion thread, which is a much much smaller market than US (2000 copies per DVD on average). It was highly requested even here, that's why they licensed.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:09   Link #25
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
YAY! Somebody who agrees! *high five*

By the way, more cast suggestions.

Wendee Lee: Madoka's mother
Dave Mallow: Madoka's father
Bryce Papenbrook: Kamijou
The more suggestions are placed, the better the dub will be (no guarantees but still...)
Old 2011-07-03, 23:40   Link #26
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I hope they do a single release, similar to what Funimation and NIS has been doing. And that they give us some nice extras. By extras, I mean stuff from Japan, not dub actor interviews or commentary.

And people need to get over the Garden of Sinners thing. It was an item sold in Japan at the prices that are common there, and they reduced the price for sale in the US. Besides... it was worth the $400 (I love mine!).
Old 2011-07-04, 00:28   Link #27
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
David Hayter as everybody.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 03:39   Link #28
Jimmy C

If they're going to release this title as a complete set instead of singles, the earliest it'll appear is October '11. That's because they're unlikely to release a set in English before the Japanese discs are all out.
But if they're dubbing this, they're unlikely to release so soon anyway, so releasing it as a set would be preferable, for buyers.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 10:12   Link #29
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Or released on Good Friday 2012. For she has died for our sins....
Old 2011-07-04, 10:27   Link #30
ArrowSmith

I managed to get the first OST and it's really great!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 10:34   Link #31
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That's because they're unlikely to release a set in English before the Japanese discs are all out.
More like: they cannot, thanks to the fear of reverse import. That's the same reason they haven't announced dates etc as of now. For sure, it's one policy I never liked.
Old 2011-07-04, 10:36   Link #32
ArrowSmith

It would be nice if they released it to Hulu.com for a while! I've watched several newer series with subtitles on that!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 11:11   Link #33
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
OBTW, I think they're trying to renegotiate the licensing of Bakemono sometimes later.
First off, no. Coalgirls' old release and Thora's new one are perfectly fine. They understood that text was a unifying factor, and kept it that way, using the same font for all the color frames and the scenery. Plus, the translation is plenty good to leave nothing to be desired.

Secondly, I'd hate to see Nisioisin's Japanese puns and Japanese wordplay and Otaku in-jokes get translated. I bet that if it does get translated they're just gonna Stephen Foster the SHIT out of Bakemonogatari.

And so, the dub will be painful. Besides, no way they can possibly match the original's performances.

There's no rush. Maybe when the industry's matured a but more maybe it's possible.

But right now, it's enough for Bakemonogatari to be a show like that.
ubiquitial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 12:25   Link #34
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitial View Post
First off, no. Coalgirls' old release and Thora's new one are perfectly fine. They understood that text was a unifying factor, and kept it that way, using the same font for all the color frames and the scenery. Plus, the translation is plenty good to leave nothing to be desired.

Secondly, I'd hate to see Nisioisin's Japanese puns and Japanese wordplay and Otaku in-jokes get translated. I bet that if it does get translated they're just gonna Stephen Foster the SHIT out of Bakemonogatari.

And so, the dub will be painful. Besides, no way they can possibly match the original's performances.

There's no rush. Maybe when the industry's matured a but more maybe it's possible.

But right now, it's enough for Bakemonogatari to be a show like that.
What?

I didn't say I want that sleeper called Bakemono licensed nor let localization take over, as it's clearly not for everyone. If Bake doesn't get a green light, I'm okay with it; otherwise they'll have to run it the Rightstuf way: subbed only, nothing more, nothing less except being faithful to the original material, and affordable.
Old 2011-07-04, 14:15   Link #35
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Discuss Bakemono in the Bakemono thread.

What extras would look good?
Old 2011-07-04, 14:40   Link #36
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
What extras would look good?
For singles, it better be every damned extra that the Japanese single releases got.

If it's a season pack, I'd be content with just the drama cds (either with translation in the booklet or dual audio) and translated "info pamphlets" (the ones with character sketches and the 4-koma skits).

If you mean on the discs themselves, we probably aren't likely to get much more than NCOP and NCED.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 14:48   Link #37
xizro345
King's Justice

That would mean a very poor selection, that was the exact reason I never got the JP BDs in the first place.
Old 2011-07-04, 14:52   Link #38
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I wanted a variation of items: a keychain, a printed contract from Kyubey, a poster made of cloth/trading card mat, drama CDs xD
Old 2011-07-04, 15:13   Link #39
GDB

I wouldn't expect more than what the Japanese got. That'd just be silly.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 15:43   Link #40
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

XD forgot about that...